Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2012/2013 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

I dont think you should worry, some art classes in my school are waaaay ahead and some are far behind. dont worry, as for myself, i'm not following the class as im far ahead. i've done my prep sheet, painting, support studies and now i'm on my prep sheet and 3D, and all that is left will be another prep sheet+embroidery. most of my classmates are only on their painting now.
    i am not sure about the art drawing thingy in may, none of it is mentioned, the weird part is that you can only have 7 sheets in your art project while with the 3 drawings (2 objects+a person) it will be 10. my art teacher contacted the art department and they said they'll write back to her, so there is a good chance that there will be no art exam thing in may :) hurray

Whoa you're doing really well! :)
    Thanks for that, I'm going to gather up all my photos and info for my support studies this weekend, and then really I'll just have my craft and 3D to get started on :) Yeah, my teacher said we'll have seven sheets for our project, so I don't know about the exam yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Art, Craft and Design is scheduled to be done within the timeblock Monday 29th April to Friday 10th May, 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭glitzandbits

Is anyone going to one of those weekend maths revision course things? I'm going to one on the 9th + 10th in Ucc and was wondering if people have heard they're good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Is anyone going to one of those weekend maths revision course things? I'm going to one on the 9th + 10th in Ucc and was wondering if people have heard they're good?
    I didn't even know there was one for Junior Cert :O

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭orlaxxx

anyone know is their maths revision books out this year!? badly need them :(

• Advertisement

orlaxxx wrote: »

I got a shortcuts to success one on a website, but you can't get them from the main sellers since there's no project maths in it :/

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I didn't even know there was one for Junior Cert :O

Yup, ones for English too but I don't need that :p

You might manage to get some second hand.. You can use all the old editions, and just leave out what's not on project maths :) I've revise wise and its grand!! Try adverts maybe? There most likely won't be a new one this year.. They won't publish one until next year for the full project maths is being examined :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

Trust me they are soo bad and they teach you nothing i would say your copy is well better and off I got mine and never ever and i mean never used it for ANYTHING Waste of money

Trust me they are soo bad and they teach you nothing i would say your copy is well better and off I got mine and never ever and i mean never used it for ANYTHING Waste of money
    I got one last year, and use it quite a lot :) I find it handy for quick reference and tons of examples.. Maybe your one just wasn't great? Wouldn't agree for all maths revision books though :confused:

• Advertisement

I got one last year, and use it quite a lot :) I find it handy for quick reference and tons of examples.. Maybe your one just wasn't great? Wouldn't agree for all maths revision books though :confused:

Which one was yours mine was Revise wise probably its peoples opinion like in my opinion i just found it rubbish but other people might find it very helpful just the way it is :p

I have Revise Wise :L I love it! I find it really useful! It has plenty of examples, is laid out brilliantly and has all the information possibly needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

So guys, I'm in TY and in Business we have to get a test, to give us some sort of grade. We have to do a household budget, I know they're easy but I didn't do JC business so I don't have a clue how to do them? I know it's pretty much basic maths but still, any help?

Troxck wrote: »
    So guys, I'm in TY and in Business we have to get a test, to give us some sort of grade. We have to do a household budget, I know they're easy but I didn't do JC business so I don't have a clue how to do them? I know it's pretty much basic maths but still, any help?
    Love budgets :) what exactly is it you're not sure about?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mr.turtle

Hey,I have an unseen English poetry test tomorrow and I was just wondering if anybody has any tips on answering questions. I have no idea how much to answer in relation to the marks i.e. length or number of points etc. I know all my poetic techniques so is there any thing more i can do?
    Thanks

mr.turtle wrote: »
    Hey,I have an unseen English poetry test tomorrow and I was just wondering if anybody has any tips on answering questions. I have no idea how much to answer in relation to the marks i.e. length or number of points etc. I know all my poetic techniques so is there any thing more i can do?
    Thanks

Ok There is positives and negatives for unseen poetry in the Junior Cert Exams

Positives the quotes and text will be in front of you you would just have to answer the question you would answer on a poetry you have studied e.g. Dulce e Decorum

Negatives: The unseen poetry and the poetry you have studied is worth the same marks :(
    And you will not be able to go in really deep on it like similes metaphor etc. on it as you will not know all of it

The unforseen poetry Qs. Should take you max 25-30mins
    And they should be 1 and a half page lenght

Ok There is positives and negatives for unseen poetry in the Junior Cert Exams

Positives the quotes and text will be in front of you you would just have to answer the question you would answer on a poetry you have studied e.g. Dulce e Decorum

Negatives: The unseen poetry and the poetry you have studied is worth the same marks :(
    And you will not be able to go in really deep on it like similes metaphor etc. on it as you will not know all of it

The unforseen poetry Qs. Should take you max 25-30mins
    And they should be 1 and a half page lenght

Thank you soo much
    :)

Thanks

For unseen I usually try to pick three strong points that I can develop into three paragraphs, which takes usually around a page and a half; but it depends on how much time you have :) and use small quotes or even words to back up your points in your answer :) Good luck! English tests can be tricky! I ran out of time in my Christmas exam because I panicked and wrote too much :eek:

For unseen I usually try to pick three strong points that I can develop into three paragraphs, which takes usually around a page and a half; but it depends on how much time you have :) and use small quotes or even words to back up your points in your answer :) Good luck! English tests can be tricky! I ran out of time in my Christmas exam because I panicked and wrote too much :eek:

Thanks, I know the time restraints can be way too tough,been training my hand to write fast before the mocks

Thanks, I know the time restraints can be way too tough,been training my hand to write fast before the mocks

No problem, yeah I know! The recommendations for how to spend your time are crazy; you've barely time to breathe :(
    Haha good idea :D

• Advertisement

No problem, yeah I know! The recommendations for how to spend your time are crazy; you've barely time to breathe :(
    Haha good idea :D

Know you know whats hard yeah learning for p2 i mena P1 is like 20 mins learning it is so unbelievably simple lol
    P2 is like 3 History Exams So much learnig

Know you know whats hard yeah learning for p2 i mena P1 is like 20 mins learning it is so unbelievably simple lol
    P2 is like 3 History Exams So much learnig

I know, paper two scares me :L So much to get through in so little time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Oh god paper 2, I've already planned my left hand's funeral. English is the exam i'm least looking forward to haha.

I have my poetry notes learning, all the 7 poems we're doing, I have notes on Mice and men learned and I have a lot of notes learned on Julius Caesar so I'm just gonna practice comprehensions and go over techniques. I have a lot of functional writing to do over the Christmas too so that will help.

Just interest, Are all of you doing the 4 questions that come up every year on the business papers?

Paper 1: Budget
    Club Accounts
    Industrial relations/People at work/Pay slips
    Foreign trade/National budget/Economics
    Paper 2: Final accounts
    Business documents
    Those fill in questions, like loan applications and cash flows
    Something else, think it's ledgers.

Seems like the way to go for me, I have most of the stuff for paper one done, just practicing Club accounts so I can do them super fast in the Exam.

You guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭MinnieMouse15

Oh god paper 2, I've already planned my left hand's funeral. English is the exam i'm least looking forward to haha.

I have my poetry notes learning, all the 7 poems we're doing, I have notes on Mice and men learned and I have a lot of notes learned on Julius Caesar so I'm just gonna practice comprehensions and go over techniques. I have a lot of functional writing to do over the Christmas too so that will help.

Just interest, Are all of you doing the 4 questions that come up every year on the business papers?

Paper 1: Budget
    Club Accounts
    Industrial relations/People at work/Pay slips
    Foreign trade/National budget/Economics
    Paper 2: Final accounts
    Business documents
    Those fill in questions, like loan applications and cash flows
    Something else, think it's ledgers.

Seems like the way to go for me, I have most of the stuff for paper one done, just practicing Club accounts so I can do them super fast in the Exam.

You guys?

I'm planning to do the same thing, I prefer to know what it is and practice practice practice than learn it off just normally - not knowing to what things i should particularly pay attention.

Anyways, I am also afraid about English, it is simple for me but the problem is:
    a) TIME, I prefer to plan the question first and then answer it but sometimes I take too long and I have to hurry, write stupid things for the last questions!
    b) MY HAND WILL NOT TAKE IT ;) so, because there are so many questions and you have to write (my teacher said) 3A4 pages for each and you need to write fast my hand will die, I'll have to stop and relax ones in a while loosing time.

I'm not really worried about questions in the JC, I'm just worried about TIME.
    The history exam scares me the most cause there are LOTS OF questions, especially essay type ones :( and the exam is 2hrs long! while geo exam for me is just perfect, there are many questions but you can actually get them done in time ;) and both History and Geo last 2hrs, why? there are far more questions in his than geo!? I'm so scared : / cause im not a fast writer and i also write small letters which will make my questions shorter than they actually are :((( help : (

Wow a lot of ye are putting way to much thought into English imo. I mean it's most definitely quality over quantity! I mean for Paper One I couldn't see why you'd need anymore study than a couple years of past exam questions! And 3 A4 Pages for each? Are you joking me? That's ridiculous! I'd say the entire Paper One exam alone should only take you about 7 A4 pages at the most depending on how much you do for the Personal Writing!

Also, I don't think Paper Two is all that bad! I mean it's essentially only six questions;
    • Unseen Drama (Just read the play and answer the questions! It's just like a comprehension! Do the Shakespeare one if you feel up to it because it's favoured by the examiners from what I've been told._
    • Studied Drama (Read your play a couple of times and analyse - questions are pretty similar over the years I doubt any shock question will pop up and there's always a choice of two!)
    • Unseen Poetry (This is a bit tricky but if you have some method learned, try to stick with it otherwise just learn some poetic techniques!)
    • Studied Poetry (Go through every exam year and pick out a poem you learned that fits it, once your done then go learn off those poems to the best of your ability and you should be fine!)
    • Unseen Fiction (this is literally just a comprehension with a little more emphasis on the language techniques and stuff)
    • Studied Fiction (Just like studied drama, read your novel, analyse it and previous questions and there should be no shock on exam day!)

Honestly it's really not that complicated when you break it down :rolleyes:

ANY BODY HAVE NOTES FOR HOW TO WRITE AN ARTICLE AND MEDIA STUDIES ???
    VERY GRATEFUL FOR ANYONE WHO CAN SHARE

Wow a lot of ye are putting way to much thought into English imo. I mean it's most definitely quality over quantity! I mean for Paper One I couldn't see why you'd need anymore study than a couple years of past exam questions! And 3 A4 Pages for each? Are you joking me? That's ridiculous! I'd say the entire Paper One exam alone should only take you about 7 A4 pages at the most depending on how much you do for the Personal Writing!

Also, I don't think Paper Two is all that bad! I mean it's essentially only six questions;
    • Unseen Drama (Just read the play and answer the questions! It's just like a comprehension! Do the Shakespeare one if you feel up to it because it's favoured by the examiners from what I've been told._
    • Studied Drama (Read your play a couple of times and analyse - questions are pretty similar over the years I doubt any shock question will pop up and there's always a choice of two!)
    • Unseen Poetry (This is a bit tricky but if you have some method learned, try to stick with it otherwise just learn some poetic techniques!)
    • Studied Poetry (Go through every exam year and pick out a poem you learned that fits it, once your done then go learn off those poems to the best of your ability and you should be fine!)
    • Unseen Fiction (this is literally just a comprehension with a little more emphasis on the language techniques and stuff)
    • Studied Fiction (Just like studied drama, read your novel, analyse it and previous questions and there should be no shock on exam day!)

Honestly it's really not that complicated when you break it down :rolleyes:

I'm not worried about the actual questions in English; it's just getting everything I want to put down, down.
    I have a serious timing issue (not just in English) but I still know people who usually wouldn't ever run out of time that ran out in Christmas Exam (It was like a mock paper with some paper one stuck in aswell).
    I tend to overcompensate because I think my answers aren't of A standard. I think 3A4 pages for each section ( eg. unseen poetry, drama etc) is fair enough; once you can write like lightning :D

ANY BODY HAVE NOTES FOR HOW TO WRITE AN ARTICLE AND MEDIA STUDIES ???
    VERY GRATEFUL FOR ANYONE WHO CAN SHARE

No notes, sorry, we just did exercises in first/second year.
    If you look up the marking schemes for English you might find some examples or if you check examit :)

Hi
    I was wondering do you study both river and sea or can you just study one because in an exam do they both get asked or only one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭MinnieMouse15

Hi
    I was wondering do you study both river and sea or can you just study one because in an exam do they both get asked or only one of them

you have to know rivers- its not a choice but there is a choice of sea (coastal) and ice (glacial) you can pick either of them and you'll always get a choice of sea or ice; i think its really good that they did that; its always so confusing ;)

Advertisement