Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2012/2013 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Oh! I love the Help so much :D:D Haha I'm glad to have it read like 12 times already :P

Exactly -.- It's awful!! They go so slowly >:O

The History course is huge tbh :P

Ikr? -.-
    Tis sure :P It's probably the biggest course out of everything :L

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

I feel like I belong amongst you guys reading through your posts..

I'm Sean and like yourselves I'm doing the JC in 2013 so we'll see how that goes :/

About the medicine post a few pages back, is it just me or does every poster on Boards want to do medicine?:L I feel the same way in that the human body always fascinated me along with an urge to always be around people. Add my love affair of Scrubs into the mix and you have me looking at the Medicine threads in the LC forum everyday :L

Where abouts do you guys go to school if you don't mind me asking? Are we all in public schools?

SeanIAm wrote: »

I'm Sean and like yourselves I'm doing the JC in 2013 so we'll see how that goes :/

About the medicine post a few pages back, is it just me or does every poster on Boards want to do medicine?:L I feel the same way in that the human body always fascinated me along with an urge to always be around people. Add my love affair of Scrubs into the mix and you have me looking at the Medicine threads in the LC forum everyday :L

Where abouts do you guys go to school if you don't mind me asking? Are we all in public schools?

Hi Sean! :)
    Scrubs is great! :') I am the only one that doesn't know exactly what they want to do?! :o
    I go to school in Clare, and yeah, a public school! :) How about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

Oh that's cool I go to a public school in Dublin, good to know we're in the same boat.

How is everyone trying to study at this stage? I tried talking about in school but my friends look at me like I have ten heads :L

Flash cards? Study Copys? Revise Wise?

Oh that's cool I go to a public school in Dublin, good to know we're in the same boat.

How is everyone trying to study at this stage? I tried talking about in school but my friends look at me like I have ten heads :L

Well right now I'm just doing homework and stuff (in some classes we're doing revision and in others we're finishing the course), taking notes and looking over exam papers. I haven't started them yet but I'm mentally planning out points I have to make for each question.
    Haha same :L One of my friends has the same mindset as me but everyone else thinks the Junior Cert isn't important x)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Hey Sean! Nathan here! :D Well, tbh it's more the brain and nervous system that absolutely fascinate me! <3 I'm dead set on getting into neurosurgery so, that's why I'm doing medicine :D I'm the same! I love looking at them cause I just feel like I can be prepared then :') Oh! I love Scrubs! Seen every episode :'D

Public School in Cork :) It's a teck :rolleyes:

Ahm, well mostly typing up notes :) Wby?
    Well right now I'm just doing homework and stuff (in some classes we're doing revision and in others we're finishing the course), taking notes and looking over exam papers. I haven't started them yet but I'm mentally planning out points I have to make for each question.
    Haha same :L One of my friends has the same mindset as me but everyone else thinks the Junior Cert isn't important x)

None of my friends are even thinking about studying until like 2 weeks before the mocks :rolleyes:

Hey Sean! Nathan here! :D Well, tbh it's more the brain and nervous system that absolutely fascinate me! <3 I'm dead set on getting into neurosurgery so, that's why I'm doing medicine :D I'm the same! I love looking at them cause I just feel like I can be prepared then :') Oh! I love Scrubs! Seen every episode :'D

Public School in Cork :) It's a teck :rolleyes:

Ahm, well mostly typing up notes :) Wby?

None of my friends are even thinking about studying until like 2 weeks before the mocks :rolleyes:

Aha we can all rant about public schools in general so ;):p
    Yeah, I wish I could be that laid-back, I'm probably one of the most obsessive worriers ever :o

Aha we can all rant about public schools in general so ;):p
    Yeah, I wish I could be that laid-back, I'm probably one of the most obsessive worriers ever :o
    Agreed :L It's just a big fluster with me :P :P

Agreed :L It's just a big fluster with me :P :P

Yup :P
    Ermahgerd our Irish teacher is piling on the homework -.-
    Absolutely swamped this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭seanob43

Yup :P
    Ermahgerd our Irish teacher is piling on the homework -.-
    Absolutely swamped this evening.
    In exactly the same boat, half my class are fluent and the other half (including me) struggle to string a sentence together.

Considering going down to pass at the moment :/

• Advertisement

[/QUOTE]
    In exactly the same boat, half my class are fluent and the other half (including me) struggle to string a sentence together.

Considering going down to pass at the moment :/[/Quote]

Haha same :L I go absolutely blank during orals.
    Ah no don't go down to Pass :) It'll be worth it if you do pass for the LC because you'll have a good base with honours Irish from Junior Cert.
    My teacher is amazing, but we have a heavy workload. Sometimes it gets overwhelming, cause none of the other classes cover as much as we do -.-
    Irish really is a dying language, and they're struggling to find teachers... do you think they'll stop teaching it at schools eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Classical Kid

Lol I seem to have fallen out of the loop with this thread :L
    The crushing amount of exam papers need doing is phonomenal :L

How is it that all of you want to do medicine like me :O :L

Hows everybody finding the JC anyways? :)

seanob43 wrote: »

Considering going down to pass at the moment :/

There's 31 students in my honours Irish class :L 26 came from the Gaelscoil.. Including me :D It really did make a difference :') Absolutly love Irish! the language now, not the subject! :rolleyes:
    Haha same :L I go absolutely blank during orals.
    Ah no don't go down to Pass :) It'll be worth it if you do pass for the LC because you'll have a good base with honours Irish from Junior Cert.
    My teacher is amazing, but we have a heavy workload. Sometimes it gets overwhelming, cause none of the other classes cover as much as we do -.-
    Irish really is a dying language, and they're struggling to find teachers... do you think they'll stop teaching it at schools eventually?

Seriously agree with the keep the Honours for the JC! You should really aim for as many JC honours as you can! Let's not have an argument this early in the thread about Irish ;) :rolleyes: but seriously, I strongly doubt it will ever be stopped as a subject. And it's not a dying language :rolleyes: Isn't there statistics to show that more people can speak Irish than then that of like 15 years ago :L Or something? :confused: That would sort of mean the opposite of dying :L
    Lol I seem to have fallen out of the loop with this thread :L
    The crushing amount of exam papers need doing is phonomenal :L

How is it that all of you want to do medicine like me :O :L

Hows everybody finding the JC anyways? :)

Ah yes, sick of exam papers already and I've only doing a week of 3rd Year yet :L Tbh, I think alot of boards students tend to be the best students, who generally like to aim for high things, obviously there's students like Amy, who doesn't want to do medicine but that doesn't make her any worse of a student then we are :)

Got the coolest news EVER today!! :D My school is competing in Ireland's first ever Vex Robotics Competition! 8 schools are competing against each other in November and whoever wins gets to compete for Ireland in April in CALIFORNIA :D (the stadium in california is right next to disney world XD)!! We get to build our own robot and program it and everything :D And I'm on the team :'D So excited it's unbelievable!! :D Don't have a clue how'll I'll squeeze this in with my JC and the Young Scientist but I will :'D We haven't picked who does what on the team yet, but I will be President/Project Manager of our group :cool: YAY! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

This might be a bit off, but after doing my JC this year, don't consider dropping to a lower level until the mock exams. Even then if you fail, if you feel like you can improve, stay. No one but you can decide but you to what level you do, a teacher may recommend to drop but it's up to you. I alsi see you want to do medicine or similar courses so honours Maths is a must, in my opinion, especially with the bonus points.
    Also, don't worry about studying properly now.
    You should always listen in class, you'd be surprised how helpful that is in the exams, key words pop up in the exams you may remember from class.
    Do homework to the highest possible standard, never leave a blank. You'd be surprised that nearer exams going through HW questions would help you with smaller questions.

If you want any help, ask, I have a lot of spar time now that I'm in TY(Which I would recommend)

Troxck wrote: »
    This might be a bit off, but after doing my JC this year, don't consider dropping to a lower level until the mock exams. Even then if you fail, if you feel like you can improve, stay. No one but you can decide but you to what level you do, a teacher may recommend to drop but it's up to you. I alsi see you want to do medicine or similar courses so honours Maths is a must, in my opinion, especially with the bonus points.
    Also, don't worry about studying properly now.
    You should always listen in class, you'd be surprised how helpful that is in the exams, key words pop up in the exams you may remember from class.
    Do homework to the highest possible standard, never leave a blank. You'd be surprised that nearer exams going through HW questions would help you with smaller questions.

If you want any help, ask, I have a lot of spar time now that I'm in TY(Which I would recommend)

Thank you! :) It's great getting advice from someone experienced!
    Whoa, I missed alot!
    @ClassicalKid: Good, just sort of getting back into the swing of things, revising and a few exam papers :) How about yourself?
    @Bazinga_N: I don't want to have an argument about Irish either :P Tir gan teanga, Tir gan anam and all that but in fairness, the numbers of Irish teachers is dwindling...
    Maybe we need another Gaelic Revival? ;P
    Yes, they CAN speak Irish, but there are very few people ACTUALLY speaking it regularly anymore. The definition of a thriving language is one that is being constantly used by its natives, no?
    That's exciting! I'm actually considering doing Young Scientist this year with a few of my friends too ;)

Whoa, I missed alot!
    @ClassicalKid: Good, just sort of getting back into the swing of things, revising and a few exam papers :) How about yourself?
    @Bazinga_N: I don't want to have an argument about Irish either :P Tir gan teanga, Tir gan anam and all that but in fairness, the numbers of Irish teachers is dwindling...
    Yes, they CAN speak Irish, but there are very few people ACTUALLY speaking it regularly anymore. The definition of a thriving language is one that is being constantly used by its natives, no?
    That's exciting! I'm actually considering doing Young Scientist this year with a few of my friends too ;) One of them actually just got back from Washington after winning 2nd place in the NASA Space Station Design with the team from school! :,) I was quite jealous because he got the place on the team instead of me by the flip of a coin -.-
    Truth I suppose :)

Ya me and my god friend decided to do Scifest last year and we loved it so, we we're determined to do Young Scientist this year! I just hope we get through! :D You should go for it :) It's an experience!

Oh I am actually so excited for this project! :') My teacher's off to UCC tomorrow to get training on how to help us with the robots and stuff! The fact it's against only 7 other schools in Ireland makes it seems much more manageable :O And if we win.... CALIFORNIA :O I will die.

Whoa, I missed alot!
    That's exciting! I'm actually considering doing Young Scientist this year with a few of my friends too ;)
    Truth I suppose :)

Ya me and my god friend decided to do Scifest last year and we loved it so, we we're determined to do Young Scientist this year! I just hope we get through! :D You should go for it :) It's an experience!

Oh I am actually so excited for this project! :') My teacher's off to UCC tomorrow to get training on how to help us with the robots and stuff! The fact it's against only 7 other schools in Ireland makes it seems much more manageable :O And if we win.... CALIFORNIA :O I will die.

Yeah it sounds great :,) I would be worried about handling it on top of the JC though :(
    Haha :D I would too :P I'm sure you'll be determined and have a great presentation! Good luck with it ;D

Yeah it sounds great :,) I would be worried about handling it on top of the JC though :(
    Haha :D I would too :P I'm sure you'll be determined and have a great presentation! Good luck with it ;D
    Tbh, I kinda want to look at these as like stress relievers and to try to get me away from the studying :) I'm actually so excited XD WOOOOOP :D Thanks :)

Tbh, I kinda want to look at these as like stress relievers and to try to get me away from the studying :) I'm actually so excited XD WOOOOOP :D Thanks :)

Ahaha :,D That's the most excitement I've seen from anyone this week :)

You should have seen me when I found out :L I screamed and screamed and jumped and kicked and punched the air with excitement :L

• Advertisement

You should have seen me when I found out :L I screamed and screamed and jumped and kicked and punched the air with excitement :L

You should be excited! B) May as well celebrate like you've won already, it keeps you in a good mindset for the competition! ;)

You should be excited! B) May as well celebrate like you've won already, it keeps you in a good mindset for the competition! ;)
    Exactly :) So, Amy, how was your week? :)

Exactly :) So, Amy, how was your week? :)

My week was good in general, not too much gritty work ( except for yesterday, I was up half the night with English summaries, maths problems and Geography exam questions), laughed more than usual ( mostly because a friend of mine is going through an obsessive binary phase! I love her :')) and got trampled on a lot in the halls! :D So yeah, pretty normal. How about you Nathan?

My week was good in general, not too much gritty work ( except for yesterday, I was up half the night with English summaries, maths problems and Geography exam questions), laughed more than usual ( mostly because a friend of mine is going through an obsessive binary phase! I love her :')) and got trampled on a lot in the halls! :D So yeah, pretty normal. How about you Nathan?
    Yeah, mine was pretty good! Starting to see a difference in the work in school already! :L Business is absolutely killing me :L My teacher has singled me out from everyone else cause I'm her favourite (<-- cockiest sentence I ever wrote! :L) and she has me doing exam papers while she teaches everyone else :rolleyes:

I'd actually go mental if it weren't for my friends! :') They're the biggest bunch of fecking ejits to ever walk :P STOP. There is like 7 million 1st Years :L And they keep sitting at me and my friends' table and we're stuck for room on our table as it is :P

[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, mine was pretty good! Starting to see a difference in the work in school already! :L Business is absolutely killing me :L My teacher has singled me out from everyone else cause I'm her favourite (<-- cockiest sentence I ever wrote! :L) and she has me doing exam papers while she teaches everyone else :rolleyes:

I'd actually go mental if it weren't for my friends! :') They're the biggest bunch of fecking ejits to ever walk :P STOP. There is like 7 million 1st Years :L And they keep sitting at me and my friends' table and we're stuck for room on our table as it is :P[/Quote]

Yeah same :L It's getting a lot more full on!
    Haha! :D She seems nice!
    Teehee, same. We actually have the weirdest ideas ever... Most of us are just messed up in different ways xD
    Bahahaha, awh yeah first years xD they're actually quite cheeky this year! Fortunately we haven't had that experience yet!
    Although there is a few tag along third years that like to annoy the living **** out of us...
    Do ye have a canteen? :D we have one but a lot of the time we go out to lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

I'm in 3rd Year as well, and here's a list of my subjects that I'll be doing for the JC.

Maths (OL - as of Monday apparently)
    Irish (HL)
    CSPE (CL)
    Technical Graphics (HL - Will probably do OL though, since most of my work from exam papers has been in that section)
    Science (HL)
    Religion (HL)
    History (HL)
    Music (HL)
    Business Studies (HL)
    English (HL)
    Geography (HL)

My summer exams ended up as 3 Bs, 4 Cs, 2 Ds, and 2 failed subjects by the way.

OiOshawott wrote: »
    I'm in 3rd Year as well, and here's a list of my subjects that I'll be doing for the JC.

Irish (HL)
    CSPE (CL)
    Technical Graphics (HL - Will probably do OL though, since most of my work from exam papers has been in that section)
    Science (HL)
    Religion (HL)
    History (HL)
    Music (HL)
    Business Studies (HL)
    English (HL)
    Geography (HL)

Hello! :) Happy that you could join us in our conversation! How's your year going so far?

Yeah same :L It's getting a lot more full on!
    Haha! :D She seems nice!
    Teehee, same. We actually have the weirdest ideas ever... Most of us are just messed up in different ways xD
    Bahahaha, awh yeah first years xD they're actually quite cheeky this year! Fortunately we haven't had that experience yet!
    Although there is a few tag along third years that like to annoy the living **** out of us...
    Do ye have a canteen? :D we have one but a lot of the time we go out to lunch.[/QUOTE]

Haha I know what you mean :L Mine are the exact same :L :D Oh yes, I've experienced quite a few of those first years! :L

Well like, we've a really large area right in the middle of our school, and it's the connecting points to all the hallways so it's always packed but there's a shop there and tables and stuff so yeah :L We're not allowed leave school grounds until 4th Year :rolleyes:
    OiOshawott wrote: »

Irish (HL)
    CSPE (CL)
    Science (HL)
    Religion (HL)
    History (HL)
    Music (HL)
    Business Studies (HL)
    English (HL)
    Geography (HL)

Hello! :D Welcomes! :D We do really similar subjects :D Except I don't do music :P I do French and Woodwork :D If you think you might be able to go at Honours Maths they can't force you out of it. Explain you want to stay until your next big test and then study for that test! :) I'm in HL TG, but I've never touched a HL TG exam question yet, I've been doing OL, because alot of the stuff on the HL TG exam isn't covered until 3rd Year so you may want to take that into consideration :)

Other than that, hows the JC Year going :D I'm Nathan by the way :D

@Bazinga_N
    Haha :')
    Oh cool! We have a canteen ( it's meant for first years but everyone uses it)
    I think that's a good idea, because here first years are sneaking out when they're not supposed to. Having a set rule is good!

@OiOshawott:
    Nathan's right, they can't really force you out of honours. Both yourself and your parents have to have an input on the decision :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

Aaah, lads, it's been ages since I was on this forum! Ye probably don't remember me...!

Is anyone else going on results night? The local disco has been sold out for a while and myself and my friends have been trying to think of what to do instead of sitting in someones house, eating and crying. Our best idea was to go drinking in a field :L (Honestly, I'd rather stay at home and marathon Suits and watch a pile of hockey to make up for the lockout. Such is my sad life.)

Advertisement