Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2012/2013 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

Aaah, lads, it's been ages since I was on this forum! Ye probably don't remember me...!

Is anyone else going on results night? The local disco has been sold out for a while and myself and my friends have been trying to think of what to do instead of sitting in someones house, eating and crying. Our best idea was to go drinking in a field :L (Honestly, I'd rather stay at home and marathon Suits and watch a pile of hockey to make up for the lockout. Such is my sad life.)

Hello... I think you could be on the wrong thread haha :') This is for next years JC'ers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

@Bazinga_N
    Haha :')
    Oh cool! We have a canteen ( it's meant for first years but everyone uses it)
    I think that's a good idea, because here first years are sneaking out when they're not supposed to. Having a set rule is good!

@OiOshawott:
    Nathan's right, they can't really force you out of honours. Both yourself and your parents have to have an input on the decision :)

Ya, it's alright but like we've a spar two minutes from our school and we can;t go there until 4th Year :rolleyes: bit annoying tbh! Any thoughts on doing Ty yet? :)
    Aaah, lads, it's been ages since I was on this forum! Ye probably don't remember me...!

Is anyone else going on results night? The local disco has been sold out for a while and myself and my friends have been trying to think of what to do instead of sitting in someones house, eating and crying. Our best idea was to go drinking in a field :L (Honestly, I'd rather stay at home and marathon Suits and watch a pile of hockey to make up for the lockout. Such is my sad life.)

Haha, I remember you! :D You're looking for last years thread :L The 3rd & 4th Years have moved on to the 5th Year OT and the Second year moved here ;D

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    @Bazinga_N
    Haha :')
    Oh cool! We have a canteen ( it's meant for first years but everyone uses it)
    I think that's a good idea, because here first years are sneaking out when they're not supposed to. Having a set rule is good!

@OiOshawott:
    Nathan's right, they can't really force you out of honours. Both yourself and your parents have to have an input on the decision :)

Ya, it's alright but like we've a spar two minutes from our school and we can;t go there until 4th Year :rolleyes: bit annoying tbh! Any thoughts on doing Ty yet? :)

Haha, I remember you! :D You're looking for last years thread :L The 3rd & 4th Years have moved on to the 5th Year OT and the Second year moved here ;D

Well yes that would be quite annoying! xD
    I don't really know, I think, for me anyways,
    it might not be great for my study habits. I function best when I'm constantly studying, and I think doing TY might make me a bit lazy for leaving cert :L It depends on if I decide what I want to do in college straight after the JC really :)
    How about yourself? :)

it might not be great for my study habits. I function best when I'm constantly studying, and I think doing TY might make me a bit lazy for leaving cert :L It depends on if I decide what I want to do in college straight after the JC really :)
    Well, our year is the first to try a three year leaving certificate program :) 4th Year will be split up between project work and Leaving Cert courses! :L Our school was always huge in TY though, they always did so many projects and never had time to lounge around :L They won YSI last year :D

So, I sort of have to do it! :L Should be ok though! Might do better for my LC in the long run! :D

Well, our year is the first to try a three year leaving certificate program :) 4th Year will be split up between project work and Leaving Cert courses! :L Our school was always huge in TY though, they always did so many projects and never had time to lounge around :L They won YSI last year :D

So, I sort of have to do it! :L Should be ok though! Might do better for my LC in the long run! :D

That's interesting! :) I didn't know that could be done! Let us know how it goes next year ;)

• Advertisement

That's interesting! :) I didn't know that could be done! Let us know how it goes next year ;)
    Haha I will :D Ya, I don't think it's done that much! :L Should be alright though! :D:D

So, how was your weekend! :)

Haha I will :D Ya, I don't think it's done that much! :L Should be alright though! :D:D

So, how was your weekend! :)

Good thanks! :) I'm absolutely wrecked though! :O I've been busy with stuff the past three weekends so I can't wait relax next Saturday x.x Doesn't really help that I have double Business first thing tomorrow...
    How was your weekend? :)

Good thanks! :) I'm absolutely wrecked though! :O I've been busy with stuff the past three weekends so I can't wait relax next Saturday x.x Doesn't really help that I have double Business first thing tomorrow...
    Ah, yeah it was really my first relaxing weekend since we went back! Just chilled out with some friends and played xbox :') Ick, I have double business last thing fridays :P I've science first thing tomorrow though :rolleyes:

Ah, yeah it was really my first relaxing weekend since we went back! Just chilled out with some friends and played xbox :') Ick, I have double business last thing fridays :P I've science first thing tomorrow though :rolleyes:

Haha sounds fun ;P What sort of stuff do you play?
    Friday is my best day, double art and then English and History last thing :')
    Oh I've double science at like 11 o'clock -.- maths in between that and business -.- ugh.
    Other than Monday though my timetable isn't really that bad :)

Oh I've double science at like 11 o'clock -.- maths in between that and business -.- ugh.
    I play everything and anything tbh! Was playing Batman Arkham City this weekend though :) Do you play? :D

Wednesday's for me :D Maths, English, & Geography are okay, but then I've double Business (I <3 Business) :D Double PE :) and Double French -.- (not fun) and Thursday's and Friday's are okay too :D Monday and Tuesdays and the other hand -.-

• Advertisement

I play everything and anything tbh! Was playing Batman Arkham City this weekend though :) Do you play? :D

Wednesday's for me :D Maths, English, & Geography are okay, but then I've double Business (I <3 Business) :D Double PE :) and Double French -.- (not fun) and Thursday's and Friday's are okay too :D Monday and Tuesdays and the other hand -.-

Awh I would hate double french D:
    Well I wouldn't really consider myself a gamer, I'm a bit of a fangirl when it comes to stuff like Professor Layton (I am obsessed) or Phoenix Wright, and some anime adaptions. Mostly I look RPGs or mysteries :)
    Tehe most of my days are ok except for Monday and Wednesday -.-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

Well, you see, my school made a mess of the placings because a Maths teacher left the school, leaving the school with 7 instead of 8. Basically, anyone who got under 40% in the Maths summer test from my class was moved down to Ordinary Level, there were like 9 of us in the class who failed it.

And yeah, 3rd Year's going grand so far.

My Irish teacher has given the people who haven't decided if they wanna do Higher Level/Ordinary Level the chance to do Higher Level for the mocks, and if they do badly in the mocks, they can move down to Ordinary Level (I'm one of the people trying this as its the more sensible option for me), also very few people in my class are doing Higher Level (Like 5 are confirmed to be doing it)

My name's Ryan by the way.

OiOshawott wrote: »
    Well, you see, my school made a mess of the placings because a Maths teacher left the school, leaving the school with 7 instead of 8. Basically, anyone who got under 40% in the Maths summer test from my class was moved down to Ordinary Level, there were like 9 of us in the class who failed it.

And yeah, 3rd Year's going grand so far.

My Irish teacher has given the people who haven't decided if they wanna do Higher Level/Ordinary Level the chance to do Higher Level for the mocks, and if they do badly in the mocks, they can move down to Ordinary Level (I'm one of the people trying this as its the more sensible option for me), also very few people in my class are doing Higher Level (Like 5 are confirmed to be doing it)

My name's Ryan by the way.

Hi Ryan! :)
    Awh that's a shame :( It seems a bit harsh to do that just because there is one teacher less, but I suppose they try to do what's best in a situation like that :)

That's good that your teacher is giving you an option, being forced to do a certain level might not work out well for the student in terms of stress as I've seen sometimes before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

Hi Ryan! :)
    Awh that's a shame :( It seems a bit harsh to do that just because there is one teacher less, but I suppose they try to do what's best in a situation like that :)

That's good that your teacher is giving you an option, being forced to do a certain level might not work out well for the student in terms of stress as I've seen sometimes before :)

Yeah, there's a teacher in the school who looked at the results from all the students in Higher Level along with the vice-principal, and the teacher said that he's been a teacher in my school since 1995 and that is the first time that they've ever been in a situation like that.

And yeah, Irish is a weak subject for me, so I'll just see how the mock goes and then see what my options are from there, but yeah, I was aiming for TG to be the only Ordinary Level subject, but 2-3 subjects might not be that bad.

OiOshawott wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a teacher in the school who looked at the results from all the students in Higher Level along with the vice-principal, and the teacher said that he's been a teacher in my school since 1995 and that is the first time that they've ever been in a situation like that.

And yeah, Irish is a weak subject for me, so I'll just see how the mock goes and then see what my options are from there, but yeah, I was aiming for TG to be the only Ordinary Level subject, but 2-3 subjects might not be that bad.

I wouldn't worry about it yet anyways; if you do your best you won't have regrets :) That's still really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Aoife78

I know I am lateish joining this thread but yano... :D

So my name is Aoife :) Ive just joined because my English teacher told us it would be a good support system for the JC. HopefullyI can do a bit better this year than last year I was a bit of a dosser andnowI think Ill knuckle down and do some work.. Got 3 A's, 5 B's a C and an NG in maths :o im in pass now though so its all good.. I was really pissed about that C though I got it in computers and we didn't even do any proper work so I have no clue what he graded us on.
    I'm doing
    English (H)
    Irish (H)
    Maths (P)
    German (H)
    CSPE
    Geography (H)
    History (H)
    Science (H)
    Art ( Honours hopefully might do Pass, Im not very artistic I only did art so I didn't do business, bad idea)
    Home Ec

Anyone start studying yet? Usually I do an hour a night..Anymore I probaly burn out! Our year tutor says two hours a night after homework!! :eek:

Aoife78 wrote: »

So my name is Aoife :) Ive just joined because my English teacher told us it would be a good support system for the JC. HopefullyI can do a bit better this year than last year I was a bit of a dosser andnowI think Ill knuckle down and do some work.. Got 3 A's, 5 B's a C and an NG in maths :o im in pass now though so its all good.. I was really pissed about that C though I got it in computers and we didn't even do any proper work so I have no clue what he graded us on.
    I'm doing
    English (H)
    Irish (H)
    Maths (P)
    German (H)
    CSPE
    Geography (H)
    History (H)
    Science (H)
    Art ( Honours hopefully might do Pass, Im not very artistic I only did art so I didn't do business, bad idea)
    Home Ec

Anyone start studying yet? Usually I do an hour a night..Anymore I probaly burn out! Our year tutor says two hours a night after homework!! :eek:

Hi Aoife! :)
    Did you do computers last year? :O We only do it in first year and then replace it with an extra class of French or another subject :)
    Your subject choice is so different to mine! :o I do Art too! :D
    Yeah I've been revising and taking notes a bit :)
    We're really getting stuck in now, I'm actually enjoying some of the exam papers :L Mostly I'm just going at a slow pace, maybe a few old chapters per night of each subject :) We have a few chapter tests next week on new stuff so I'll be studying over the weekend for that too -.-
    How do you study? :)

I'm doing
    English (H)
    Irish (H)
    Maths (P)
    German (H)
    CSPE
    Geography (H)
    History (H)
    Science (H)
    Home Ec

Welcome to boards Aofie :D I'm Nathan! Ya I'm doing around 2 hours a night :L Then again I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to studying :L There not terrible results! They're actually pretty good, except for the NG! :L

We do pretty different options though but I can help in any of the core subjects and in Geography, History and Science :) Just ask if you want some help!
    Did you do computers last year? :O We only do it in first year and then replace it with an extra class of French or another subject :)
    We're really getting stuck in now, I'm actually enjoying some of the exam papers :L Mostly I'm just going at a slow pace, maybe a few old chapters per night of each subject :) We have a few chapter tests next week on new stuff so I'll be studying over the weekend for that too -.-

We do Computers one class a week from 1st Year straight to 3rd Year :) There's also the option of taking a Computer Programming class after school :)

I'm doing
    English (H)
    Irish (H)
    Maths (P)
    German (H)
    CSPE
    Geography (H)
    History (H)
    Science (H)
    Home Ec

Welcome to boards Aofie :D I'm Nathan! Ya I'm doing around 2 hours a night :L Then again I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to studying :L There not terrible results! They're actually pretty good, except for the NG! :L

We do pretty different options though but I can help in any of the core subjects and in Geography, History and Science :) Just ask if you want some help!

We do Computers one class a week from 1st Year straight to 3rd Year :) There's also the option of taking a Computer Programming class after school :)

Lucky ducks! Computers is almost non existent here except for the option of a programme in TY I think :/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Aoife78

Yeah I did! We don't do it this year though.. Most people did their homework in that class or play games on the computers so it was kinda of a doss class.. Can't wait until I get the themes for the Art project! I want to do something pop art :D I usually read over a chapter from a revisewise book and then test myself on it and my teachers having been giving work on chapters we did in first year as well

• Advertisement

Yeah I did! We don't do it this year though.. Most people did their homework in that class or play games on the computers so it was kinda of a doss class.. Can't wait until I get the themes for the Art project! I want to do something pop art :D I usually read over a chapter from a revisewise book and then test myself on it and my teachers having been giving work on chapters we did in first year as well

Same! :D Right now we're just practising posters with themes -.- I just want to get the themes and get started. We we're looking at some of last years work, and really you can interpret the themes however you like! :D I love having creative ideas for things like this :)
    Are the revisewise books good? I've always been curious about them but never bought one :)

Same! :D Right now we're just practising posters with themes -.- I just want to get the themes and get started. We we're looking at some of last years work, and really you can interpret the themes however you like! :D I love having creative ideas for things like this :)
    Are the revisewise books good? I've always been curious about them but never bought one :)
    I'm the same for Woodwork as ye :L I'm dying to get my project started.. Hate having to wait until like October :( :O

I've a good few revision books! My cousin gave me her old ones :) Tbh, there's different good revision books for each subject cause there all written by different people like :L Which ones were you thinking of getting? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gibsoneve

I'm a bit late too but tbh I think this would be good for me, Hi, I'm Eva :) I'm literally study obsessed, I want to do well SO badly. I work hard and usually pays off (summer results 7 A's 4 B's) Irish would be my weak point but I'm getting better! As I write this I'm on a study break!

Subjects I'm doing:
    English (HL)
    Irish (HL)
    Maths (HL)
    History (HL)
    Geography (HL)
    Science (HL)
    Spanish (HL)
    Religion (HL)
    Home Ec (HL)
    Business (HL)
    CSPE.

I'm hoping this will help to be a support system :)

I'm the same for Woodwork as ye :L I'm dying to get my project started.. Hate having to wait until like October :( :O

I've a good few revision books! My cousin gave me her old ones :) Tbh, there's different good revision books for each subject cause there all written by different people like :L Which ones were you thinking of getting? :)

I know! :( It's annoying!

Well maths ( probably a weak subject for me) and maybe science :)

Hey Eve! Haha, I'm studying at the moment too! :)
    Yeah, I'm really focused too because I know what its going to take to get a good stable job out there :)
    Yeah sure there'll be a bit of banter here as we get a bit closer to the mocks and what not :L
    How are you? :D

gibsoneve wrote: »
    I'm a bit late too but tbh I think this would be good for me, Hi, I'm Eva :) I'm literally study obsessed, I want to do well SO badly. I work hard and usually pays off (summer results 7 A's 4 B's) Irish would be my weak point but I'm getting better! As I write this I'm on a study break!

Subjects I'm doing:
    English (HL)
    Irish (HL)
    Maths (HL)
    History (HL)
    Geography (HL)
    Science (HL)
    Spanish (HL)
    Religion (HL)
    Home Ec (HL)
    Business (HL)
    CSPE.

I'm hoping this will help to be a support system :)
    Welcome Eva! :D I'm Nathan.. And now feeling like the only male here :L

Ah, you'll fit right in here! :P I'm doing 12 subjects :D All Honours too :)

If you need help! Just ask!

So how'd you study? :)

Yeah, I'm really focused too because I know what its going to take to get a good stable job out there :)
    Yeah sure there'll be a bit of banter here as we get a bit closer to the mocks and what not :L
    Well there's isn't really any for maths over the new course :rolleyes: but for Maths and Science the Essentials Unfolded ones are brilliant! :D

There basically really condensed revision guides with only the key diagrams and notes! There only €6 too :) Definitely check out the science one!

I'm blessed for maths! My teacher is a mathematical god! He's actually amazing! Simply the best maths teacher there is :D

Don't even remind me about the mocks.. Sh**ting it :L

I was doing a bit of study this morning but I reckon I'll do some more tonight! :) How do ye plan your study? Like with a timetable or what? I was using a timetable but I don't know if it's working tbh!

Well there's isn't really any for maths over the new course :rolleyes: but for Maths and Science the Essentials Unfolded ones are brilliant! :D

There basically really condensed revision guides with only the key diagrams and notes! There only €6 too :) Definitely check out the science one!

I'm blessed for maths! My teacher is a mathematical god! He's actually amazing! Simply the best maths teacher there is :D

Don't even remind me about the mocks.. Sh**ting it :L

I was doing a bit of study this morning but I reckon I'll do some more tonight! :) How do ye plan your study? Like with a timetable or what? I was using a timetable but I don't know if it's working tbh!

Thanks Nathan, I'll check them out! :D
    HAHAHA, mathematical god :') Love it!

I know :L The worst thing would be if you did better in your mocks than in the real thing... that thought just makes me sick.

Ah I always make out timetables but they just get thrown to the side :L
    Usually I just go in accordance to what subjects I'm weakest at, devoting more time to hard chapters and then taking a break by doing something easy like History notes or an English Drama Question :)
    Haha yeah, I mean a timetable is good for structure and managing your time well, but usually I don't stick to it -.- That's just because I'm unorganised though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gibsoneve

Welcome Eva! :D I'm Nathan.. And now feeling like the only male here :L

Ah, you'll fit right in here! :P I'm doing 12 subjects :D All Honours too :)

If you need help! Just ask!

So how'd you study? :)

Hello :)
    I tried the whole timetable thing but I couldn't really follow it because some days I just can't study and others I'll do loads so it's just not my thing frown.png But atm I'm doing some science and Religion (death, I think religion is so pointless but mandatory in my school :/ )Science and English would be my strongest subjects and Irish and Home Ec the weakest but working away towards the Christmas exams and then mocks!

I'm glad I've found some fellow studiers though, all my friends meet up every day after school and things while I'm studying, they think I'm mad :L

I tried the whole timetable thing but I couldn't really follow it because some days I just can't study and others I'll do loads so it's just not my thing frown.png But atm I'm doing some science and Religion (death, I think religion is so pointless but mandatory in my school :/ )Science and English would be my strongest subjects and Irish and Home Ec the weakest but working away towards the Christmas exams and then mocks!

I'm glad I've found some fellow studiers though, all my friends meet up every day after school and things while I'm studying, they think I'm mad :L
    That's my issue too! I reckon I'll just make a list of things I want to complete during the week and tick them off as I get to them!

Ya, I've to do Religion too! -.- Not fun! :L

Woodwork would be my only weak subject per se, but my French isn't brilliant either!

Everything else is good enough though :D

Ya my friends were like that but with all the pressure from school they're starting to get slightly more like me :L

• Advertisement

Some parts of Religion I don't like, but we've got a new teacher this year and she's going to cover Islam and Buddhism in detail so we have an option other than Christianity in World Religions for the JC! :D
    I think the Morality side of it is quite interesting too even though it's common sense :L

I love English too! :3
    Urgh yeah, I forgot about the Christmas exams!:eek:

:D Yeah, I know,some of my friends are like that too. One of them thinks I'm absolutely insane because I spend 4 or 5 hours doing study and homework -.- It's normal for me though, I've always been like that.
    Really I only have two friends in the same mindset as me :)
    It's nice to have some people on here that do the same! :D

Advertisement