Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2012/2013 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Metamorphic rocks are sedimentary rocks which have been subjected to great heat (in volcanoes) and pressure (in earths crust) and therefore as a result have been chemically altered to create a new group of rocks (metamorphasis)

The main examples of metamorphic rocks are marble and quartzite.

(i) Marble is Limestone which has be morphed after the magma put it under great physical strain, the magma entered the pores in the rock (It is permeable so it has pores) and changed the chemical structure of the rock forming marble. Marble is found across Ireland, the main examples are: Red marble - Cork, White - Rathlin Island, Green - Mayo and parts of galway. It is a rock which can be easily sculpted and therefore is used in art, to make ornaments as well as creating headstones.

(ii) Quartzite is sandstone which has once again, similarly to limestone been chemically altered by great heat and pressure. The rock itself is extremely hard and is a cap on many of Ireland's mountains, for example Errigal mountain. In some samples of this rock, large crystals can be seen. This suggests that the rock changed chemically at a slow rate.

This answer clearly illustrates what metamorphic rocks are with specific examples.

10/10

I didn't cheat I swear, I got 94% in the mocks and this is from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Explain how a metaphoric rock is created. (10marks) ;)

Best answer gets a cookie! :D

Also, no copying and pasting from the interwebs .. ;)

Obviously, I can't do any more than I've been thought or have written down.. so...

Metamorphic rocks are existing rocks that have been changed by heat and pressure to form a new type of rock. These rocks usually have entirely new properties. Examples are: Limestone is squeezed and heated by plates, turning it into marble. Marble is common used as a building material. Another example is sandstone into Quartzite, which can be found at the Sugarloaf mountain in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Metamorphic rocks are sedimentary rocks which have been subjected to great heat (in volcanoes) and pressure (in earths crust) and therefore as a result have been chemically altered to create a new group of rocks (metamorphasis)

(i) Marble is Limestone which has be morphed after the magma put it under great physical strain, the magma entered the pores in the rock (It is permeable so it has pores) and changed the chemical structure of the rock forming marble. Marble is found across Ireland, the main examples are: Red marble - Cork, White - Rathlin Island, Green - Mayo and parts of galway. It is a rock which can be easily sculpted and therefore is used in art, to make ornaments as well as creating headstones.

(ii) Quartzite is sandstone which has once again, similarly to limestone been chemically altered by great heat and pressure. The rock itself is extremely hard and is a cap on many of Ireland's mountains, for example Errigal mountain. In some samples of this rock, large crystals can be seen. This suggests that the rock changed chemically at a slow rate.

This answer clearly illustrates what metamorphic rocks are with specific examples.

10/10

You would never be expected to write all that for 10 marks.

10/10

Dayum. Talk about overkill.

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    You would never be expected to write all that for 10 marks.

I do, my waterfall answer is like twice as long haha. Personal achievment more than anything I guess, the examiner specifically commended my paper :D

• Advertisement

Also I don't know whether this occurs, but I write using sophisticated english when I do geography, use big words etc, it will distinguish you from the wafflers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

10/10

Well, you took your time, so I believe you. Good answer! :) You get a cookie! (^.^)//( : : )

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Lost In Confusion

Explain inputs, processes and outputs. (10marks) :pac:

Okay these are all terms related with an industry or a farming system.
    Inputs: Things you put in to give you an outcome when processed, inputs can be output materials over other systems. e.g on a farm hay is an input but can also be an output.
    Processing: inputs go through this to become an output. e.g on a farm grazing,harvesting, ploughing,etc.
    Output: the output is the final product you get when the inputs are processed. Outputs of one system can be the input of another. e.g milk is output of a farm but can be input of bakery.

Mark me out of 10 please, I did that out of the top of my head :D I'm proud, I thought my brain was empty.

I do, my waterfall answer is like twice as long haha. Personal achievment more than anything I guess, the examiner specifically commended my paper :D

Mind you, your answer was well laid out and easy to read. I love when people do that. I should do it more myself, but I do forget.

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Mind you, your answer was well laid out and easy to read. I love when people do that. I should do it more myself, but I do forget.

Key to do well in geography is to structure like english. Use headings and organise your paragraphs chronogically (can't spell that :/)

• Advertisement

Okay these are all terms related with an industry or a farming system.
    Inputs: Things you put in to give you an outcome when processed, inputs can be output materials over other systems. e.g on a farm hay is an input but can also be an output.
    Processing: inputs go through this to become an output. e.g on a farm grazing,harvesting, ploughing,etc.
    Output: the output is the final product you get when the inputs are processed. Outputs of one system can be the input of another. e.g milk is output of a farm but can be input of bakery.

Mark me out of 10 please, I did that out of the top of my head :D I'm proud, I thought my brain was empty.
    Well, this type of question will never come alone as 10. It'll probably be 6m along with a 4m question. You get full marks eitherwise! :)

Key to do well in geography is to structure like english. Use headings and organise your paragraphs chronogically (can't spell that :/)

I was supposed to do that in English? :L

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    I was supposed to do that in English? :L

hahaha yes, especially in functional writing, says it at the top of the page. :P

Well, this type of question will never come alone as 10. It'll probably be 6m along with a 4m question. You get full marks eitherwise! :)

okay can you please ask me more :D this is interesting i think i understand this. I'll cram for a couple of hours and pray all night for an a to makeup for my past exam

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Oh I get it! Thank you! :)

For anyone who wants to see if they can do this type of question, it came up in 2003 Q.2 part B :)

your welcome :)

okay can you please ask me more :D this is interesting i think i understand this. I'll cram for a couple of hours and pray all night for an a to makeup for my past exam

Explain relief rainfall :rolleyes:. I'm going now to do some cramming ;). Goodluck everyone! Again, i'll be back hopefully ranting about the good things on tomorrow's paper ;).

Describe in detail a hot desert climate (let's go with 8 marks)

Oh I like this one, I'll close my book and try do it the way you said.

A hot desert climate is one which lies 15 to 30 degrees north and south to the equator.

Less than 100mm per year
    Hot deserts are in the path of the trade winds. The moisture laden clouds lose the water when they pass over cool ocean currents and therefore the water is lost through precipitation before it reaches land.

Extremely hot-30 degrees to 40 degrees

The rays from the sun pass directly overhead in hot desert climates, therefore they can reach up to an amazing 40 degrees Celsius by day, Unlike boreal climates which receive slanted sun rays.

Huge Range in Day and Night Temperatures
    The hot desert climate have high day time temperatures but because there is no clouds to keep the heat(no moisture to condense into cloud) the heat escapes at Night Time and the Desert can become as low as 0 degrees celcius. Night is sometimes referred to as Winter of the Desert.

As mentioned above the hot desert gets little rainfall, is extremely hot because of direct sun rays and has a huge range in day and night temperatures.

Hot desert climate is found usually near places close to the equator. A well known, and massive desert is the Sahara, found in the Northern part of Africa. Hot deserts receive very little percipitation around the year, and as such plant life has had to adapt. Cactii, for example, keep their water stored as a juicy liquid inside their trunks, and have small, pine needles to minimize water transpiration. Temperates can reach 35 – 50 degrees C during the day, and can drop as low as 5 degrees C during the night. This is due to the lack of clouds over hot desert climates, which means no heat is trapped overnight, and none is blocked during the day. Animals, such as lizards and snakes, have adapted to this climate by being cold-blooded. There is less than 100 mm of annual total rainfall. There tends to be long periods of drought.

I'm not happy with that answer. I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Val97

Anyone else worried about Maths?:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Mary A

Val97 wrote: »
    no maths is easy favourite subject :p

nope maths is okay just geography

Mary A wrote: »
    no maths is easy favourite subject :p

same but i said i was excited about irish and i did a 30 mark qestion wrong :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Worried about paper 1 more than paper 2. Had to leave it though because I want a good result in geography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Mary A

same but i said i was excited about irish and i did a 30 mark qestion wrong :L

ohh awhh , what question and how did u find the listening ?

Mary A wrote: »
    ohh awhh , what question and how did u find the listening ?

listening was good i got the answers, i hope they understand my spellings :P it was okay im settling down for a b :D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

Yep.

But I might just leave it now and study geography. Maybe get an A for once.

Please tell me ye got 2 in the centre of the venn diagram??

Please tell me ye got 2 in the centre of the venn diagram??
    Yes ;) You sir/madam just got 20marks. :p

• Advertisement

Yes ;) You sir/madam just got 20marks. :p

Madam :P Okay so I atleast got one right :') :')

Advertisement