Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stocking Lane, Rathfarnham

Options
  • 19-08-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Has anybody else bought here recently i.e. in 2012 ?

What problems (foreseen and unforeseen) have they encountered with their houses? Broadband availability etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it really Rathfarnham.

I wonder how much snow it gets in Winter - probably 3 times what you'd have in the city.

Shops?

Buses?

Creche / school?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

I live near Stocking Lane. Technically I think it is Rathfarnham (our address says Rathfarnham as our town) but it isn't near Rathfarnham Village. Haven't bought property though, still living in the family home so I can't advise you on property stuff but I can tell you about the area :)

The times we have had snow it has been tough to get down the road, definitely harder to get around than in the City. Having said that, prior to the last two or three years we haven't had snow that affected the roads for years.

Stocking Lane is close to Knocklyon and Rathfarnham. Knocklyon is within walking/cycling distance. Buses are alright, they come regularly enough. The 15 is close to Stocking Lane and it's fairly good, goes through Terenure and Rathmines as far as I can remember. I think the 15B goes up Stocking Lane and that goes into town, seems to be ok. Having a car makes things so much easier around the area but you should be ok if you don't have one.

Stocking Lane is close to a number of schools in the Knocklyon and Rathfarnham area- St. Colmcilles, Sancta Maria, Colaiste Eanna, within walking distance. Not sure about Creches to be honest!

We've been able to get Broadband without problems.

It's a nice area, quiet and great for families. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 asho88

hello
    i am moving to stocking wood early july 2013 is there any local shops or gyms within walking distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

lol stocking lane is not rathfarnham you gotta love marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 asho88

anybody living in stocking wood? thats willing to do carpool to tescos or whatever big shop like aldi or lidl maybe once a week? i dont trust those buses plus i dont have a car as i just moved to dublin today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If you don't trust buses and you don't have a car.. What on earth are you doing living in stocking wood of all places?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

asho88 wrote: »
    anybody living in stocking wood? thats willing to do carpool to tescos or whatever big shop like aldi or lidl maybe once a week? i dont trust those buses plus i dont have a car as i just moved to dublin today

By carpooling do you mean you want a lift as you can't return the favour? Or will you be paying for petrol? The 15b is fairly regular and will drop you at Tesco in Rathfarnham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

What do you not trust about buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

What do you not trust about buses?

I'm sure one of the following:

1. Punctuality
    2. Reliability
    3. Value for money
    4. Condition
    5. Speed of transit
    6. Exposure to fare increases
    7. Having to sit next top some scumbag, smoking/drinking/taking drugs
    8. Lack of quality and consistent bus corridors in Dublin
    9. Traffic (see 5 and 8)
    10. Comfort
    11. Frequency of service
    12. Distance to/from bus stops
    Don't get me wrong I use the bus sometimes, but the above are some issues I have experienced. The main reason I invested in a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

techdiver wrote: »
    I'm sure one of the following:

1. Punctuality - its a terminus so usually thats not an issue
    2. Reliability - as 1
    3. Value for money - no idea
    4. Condition - fine
    5. Speed of transit - usually grand, its a pretty quiet area
    6. Exposure to fare increases - thats what happens when you dont have your own transport, drivers are subject to petrol increases
    7. Having to sit next top some scumbag, smoking/drinking/taking drugs - very quiet round Stocking Wood - sit near the driver if worried
    8. Lack of quality and consistent bus corridors in Dublin - very quiet area, not really an issue
    9. Traffic (see 5 and 8) - very quiet area, not an issue
    10. Comfort - you want comfort, buy a comfortable car
    11. Frequency of service - its pretty frequent
    12. Distance to/from bus stops - short in the area
    Don't get me wrong I use the bus sometimes, but the above are some issues I have experienced. The main reason I invested in a bike.

I have addressed the above in the context of Stocking Wood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

asho88 wrote: »

Get a bike, much easier than the bus or relying on lifts and you'll get plenty fit cycling up that hill every day.

Seriously though you are pretty much in the country up there, you'll need wheels of some description.

Advertisement