Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

experienced advice needed

Options
  • 19-08-2012 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

hi lads, guy in shop assures me that this is not a safety issue in any way, the midrib has come away from between the barrels for about the last 2 inches on my baikal o/u. the rest of the gun seems fairly straight. its my first shotgun and i figured i get something cheap and cheerful to learn on. i'm inclined to believe the guy in the shop as he seemed sound and would have to be a right bollox to sell someone an unsafe gun but i'm looking for reassurance. what do you guys think.?
    thanks in advance for any info

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

brno wrote: »
    hi lads, guy in shop assures me that this is not a safety issue in any way, the midrib has come away from between the barrels for about the last 2 inches on my baikal o/u. the rest of the gun seems fairly straight. its my first shotgun and i figured i get something cheap and cheerful to learn on. i'm inclined to believe the guy in the shop as he seemed sound and would have to be a right bollox to sell someone an unsafe gun but i'm looking for reassurance. what do you guys think.?

I am no expert and it is hard to see if there isn't more damage on the way as the recoil could cause the split to travel down the barrels.

It isnt 100% safe but I cant see you in any danger immediately but personally I wouldnt be comfortable shooting it until inspected by a gunsmith.

Ask him to get it to a gun smith for you and get it repaired. If he is genuinely sound and sold you the gun, he should have no problem doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

My advice is dont fire anything more out of it. Get it to a gunsmith for repair ASAP. Believe me there are plenty of sound dealers out there but there are just as many B*stards aswell who take advantage of new people entering the sport and see it as a chance to offload old unwanted guns at a profit. Its almost like car dealerships. Granted it mightnt be so unsafe that it will take your head off first time you fire but what you have in the picture will definitely get worse with every shot. Ive been sold a gun from a very reputable clay ground in Co.Dublin that didnt actually work, had a spring taken out of it in order to fix another gun in the showroom ! Just have to be very careful when buying and bring someone who knows their stuff if youre in doubt !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

........... on my baikal o/u. ................

Have you bought it, do you own it or are you thinking of buying it?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

my own baikal u&o is kind of the same they are poorly finished off on the end of the barrel .if your man in the shop is the fella you bought it of id insist on him getting it repaired

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭brno

i own it. I'll take your advice and get it fixed,he told me he had sent it to a gunsmith already to have it repaired before he sold it and to be fair you can see where an adhesive was applied.Anyway he said to send it back to him if it got any worse and he would fix it.its just i'm mad to get going with it and i thought i could take it for a "test run".

• Advertisement

mine is the same and shoot it regularly but you could get a second opinion on it from another gunsmith and see if he says its repairable and the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

i own it. I'll take your advice and get it fixed,he told me he had sent it to a gunsmith already to have it repaired before he sold it and to be fair you can see where an adhesive was applied.Anyway he said to send it back to him if it got any worse and he would fix it.its just i'm mad to get going with it and i thought i could take it for a "test run".

ADHESIVE...... he fixed it with glue?

They're supposed to be soldered not glued, some repair job, that is a joke.:rolleyes:

when i say adhesive ,it wasn't glue, it was more one of these bonding compounds, anyway i take your point its a **** job!

it was probably that chemical metal stuff he used

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

Is be bringing it back for another gun..putting glue or chem metal is pure lazy botch job..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

ADHESIVE !?! What kind of freaking gunsmith uses adhesive to fix a repair like that ? That should be soldered.

Send it back if it gets any worse ! FFS. The bodge job was just that a bodge job. Get him to get it repaired properly.

Can you tell us where you bought it so that others need not unecessarily fall into the same trap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

What a freakin Cheapskate!:mad: Thats a brazing or soldering job that needs to be done professionally too by somone who knows what they are doing.IE a qualified gunsmith.Which would have cost more than the gun is worth to him in profit.
    This is one reason I would insist that a gunsmith should be a liscensed qualified trade here.To prevent people getting burnt financially and possibly injured or killed.
    There now is proof positive that a gundealer and a gunsmith are two different animals, and rarely do the twain meet.

There are a couple of gunsmiths here ,and I'm sure somone will recommend somone who is well in the know.
    Take it back to the dealer,tell him not satisfied,he sold you a possibly a potentially dangerous gun,and here is his options.
    [1] Either a refund on the price of this [2] a replacement to the same value [3] this repaired by a professional gunsmith,he carries the repair costs.
    Ok Baikals are cheap ,and put together with less quality control than an AK.But there is no reason to do a bodge job on repairing it either.
    Personally I'd rather option 1 or 2,as God alone knows what other trouble could be in there,and you are within your rights under consumer law to do so.
    If you go for option 3 ,I'd get a qualified gunsmith to check it over for any other faults or weakness while it is in for repair.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Going to call the guy today and get him to fix it properly.if he does that without any problem i won't name and shame!i'll chalk this one up as another lesson learned

Rang him today and he is taking it back and getting a gunsmith to braise it.if i'm not happy at that point he'll give me my money back.I can't ask for any more than that. Thanks for the advice lads, i probhably would have left it as it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Rang him today and he is taking it back and getting a gunsmith to braise it.if i'm not happy at that point he'll give me my money back.I can't ask for any more than that. Thanks for the advice lads, i probhably would have left it as it was.

Sounds like a good result.

As long as you are happy with the service and you are shooting something that is fit for purpose, then thats all that matters.

Safe shooting and best of luck come the first of september :)

Advertisement