Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lose lose situations.

• 19-08-2012 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭

I was in the pub last night with the brother. I went to the toilet and when I came back there was a girl sitting in my seat. She knew that she was sitting in my seat but pretended that she didn't. My brother, who was minding the seat/pint, asked her to move but she pretended she didn't understand (foreign girl).

So I'm viewing this situation unfold and I tap her on the shoulder and say 'you're sitting on my seat' and she looks at me like she doesn't understand - so I point to my arse and point to the seat and gesture for her to move.. nothing.

If it was a bloke I would have been a little more forceful but because it was a female I knew I couldn't win. I know I could have called the security staff but then I'd have eneded up looking lika a complaining gobshite and I value my reputation more than I value sitting down.

So I walked away. I beckoned the brother and said let's move and went to another part of the pub (Crane Lane). We had a laugh anyway and the move was good ultimately but it was certainly one of those lose/lose situations.

Got any lose lose situations to share?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Did you get her number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Why didn't you deck your brother for giving your seat away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Read this as "loose loose situations".

Very disappointed OP! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Couldnt have just grabbed a stool no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Why didn't you deck your brother for giving your seat away?

My brother obviously thought that she would be a reasonable person and move when I came back I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fr Jessup

I was caught between a rock and a hard place once. That was a real lose/lose situation.

syndeyfife wrote: »

Nope. It was the end of a bench and the place was busy. That's not the issue though.

Even if there were a hundred stools and plenty of room the issue remains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I would have kicked your brother out of his seat when he went to the bathroom. Foreign chick and new seat. That's a win win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

Should have stayed there and spilled your drink accidentally on her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fr Jessup

Stools are shit though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You should have just sat on top of her

My brother obviously thought that she would be a reasonable person and move when I came back I guess.

Well blame him and not the girl.

He didn't guard it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ask if you can have your chewing gum that you left on the seat back. when she stands up, you get your seat back and she is left running in tears to the bathroom. then you get a pint and laugh about it and its a lose lose win situation

I would have kicked your brother out of his seat when he went to the bathroom. Foreign chick and new seat. That's a win win.

She wasn't attractive (physically at least).

Nope. It was the end of a bench and the place was busy. That's not the issue though.

Even if there were a hundred stools and plenty of room the issue remains.

Its a bar, people take peoples seats all the time. I really dont get the issue here to be honest. If it was anyones fault it was your brothers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

should have sat on her lap

She wasn't attractive (physically at least).

Give it a few pints. ;)

Its a bar, people take peoples seats all the time. I really dont get the issue here to be honest. If it was anyones fault it was your brothers!

you took his seat didnt you :pac:

My brother is guilty of thinking that she would be a reasonable person and get up when I came back. What's he to do? Punch anyone attempting to sit down in the face?

We're reasonable people - the seat thief wasn't. Lose lose situation.

you took his seat didnt you :pac:

Yeah and Im pissed off because he said Im not attractive!!!! :mad:

• Advertisement

Well wait till we're drunk next time and the beer googles might make it seem like you are?

My brother is guilty of thinking that she would be a reasonable person and get up when I came back. What's he to do? Punch anyone attempting to sit down in the face?

We're reasonable people - the seat thief wasn't. Lose lose situation.

Sorry, that seat is taken....is what most people do in that situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I walked into the worse pub in Ilford in London with a girlfriend and ordered 2 drinks I took 2 sups and went to the jax while my friend went to the cigarette machine. As I was coming back I seen a guy just stretch over and grab my pint.

I said that's my pint, he said, no its not my mate bought it for me, I seen you take it, you didn't mate, do you want to take this outside.

I knew it wouldn't have been just me and him it would have been me him and his mates.

I was totally snookered and knew the only thing I could do was swallow my pride and leave. Although I did the right thing it bugged me for about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I hate when people say "the brother" "the mother" etc. it's my brother!

Well wait till we're drunk next time and the beer googles might make it seem like you are?

Thats generally how I get my rocks off!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Could be worse ... him and his brother could've tried it on with you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Going to the cinema to see a crap film that you dont want to see, with a girl that wont have sex with you after the film.

lose, lose.

If someone asks me to mind their seat I'll throw my legs up on it.
    Does it look rude? Yes. Does the seat stay taken? Yes.

op is on a losing streak :D

• Advertisement

mattjack wrote: »
    Could be worse ... him and his brother could've tried it on with you .

His brother did, he offered me the seat!! Said not to mind his brother when he came back, hes on the blob!

His brother did, he offered me the seat!! Said not to mind his brother when he came back, hes on the blob!

:pac::pac: Ma'am I tip my hat to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Colmustard wrote: »
    I walked into the worse pub in Ilford in London with a girlfriend and ordered 2 drinks I took 2 sups and went to the jax while my friend went to the cigarette machine. As I was coming back I seen a guy just stretch over and grab my pint.

I said that's my pint, he said, no its not my mate bought it for me, I seen you take it, you didn't mate, do you want to take this outside.

I knew it wouldn't have been just me and him it would have been me him and his mates.

I was totally snookered and knew the only thing I could do was swallow my pride and leave. Although I did the right thing it bugged me for about a week.

TBf ya shouldn't leave a pint unattended. If you told the gf to mind it she has something to answer for then. He was obviously a tool but I always make sure ta keep my pint with me (ensure someone is watching it) cos there's always clowns who'll try and rob it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You shouldn't have been perturbed that it was a female occupying your seat. Same rules apply, speak up and tell her to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Lookit,sure we gave it our best.

risteard7 wrote: »
    I hate when people say "the brother" "the mother" etc. it's my brother!

Pedantophile.
    My brother,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

should have sat on her lap

should have sat on her face - that would have shifted her smartish
    and if it didn't - win win :D

and chuck , if find your comment " she not attractive - on the outside " probably the most touching thing i have read on AH

so from now on you must suffer a thousand deaths by slagging
    sorry , hand in the man card on your way out ;)

You shouldn't have been perturbed that it was a female occupying your seat. Same rules apply, speak up and tell her to move.

True in an ideal world but we don't live in an ideal world.

The further I would have pushed the issue the worse off I would have looked imho.

dj jarvis wrote: »
    should have sat on her face - that would have shifted her smartish
    and if it didn't - win win :D

and chuck , if find your comment " she not attractive - on the outside " probably the most touching thing i have read on AH

so from now on you must suffer a thousand deaths by slagging
    sorry , hand in the man card on your way out ;)

I'm pretty sure he lost it after he got beaten up by a 12 year old girl he asked to move before, that's why he was so scared to be more demanding with the girl in the bar. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

True in an ideal world but we don't live in an ideal world.

The further I would have pushed the issue the worse off I would have looked imho.

Never worry about how others perceive you. You were in the right, you had just cause to reclaim the seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

If she had gotten up would you have let her keep the seat?
    If she was hot Sydneyfife would you have let her keep the seat?

Btw... there's never talent in the crane lane....

• Advertisement

jessiejam wrote: »

Yes I would let her (Sydneyfife) keep the seat... in fact she's talking about shiteing in her strides in another thread at the moment.

If it was syndeyfife in his seat he wouldnt have even asked for it back :cool:

mattjack wrote: »
    Yes I would let her (Sydneyfife) keep the seat... in fact she's talking about shiteing in her strides in another thread at the moment.

So you never ever want to sit in a seat after me :rolleyes:

That was exactly my intention. To score a moral victory - as it were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

That was exactly my intention. To score a moral victory - as it were.
    Maybe next time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Smartphone + google translate = déplacer femme laide (in my head she's French).

humbert wrote: »
    Smartphone + google translate = déplacer femme laide (in my head she's French).

I think they were Spanish. Her friend was very apologetic when I told her her friend had very bad manners.

Regardless, language wasn't the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Im guessing you dont moan much??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was in the pub last night with the brother. I went to the toilet and when I came back there was a girl sitting in my seat. She knew that she was sitting in my seat but pretended that she didn't. My brother, who was minding the seat/pint, asked her to move but she pretended she didn't understand (foreign girl).

So I'm viewing this situation unfold and I tap her on the shoulder and say 'you're sitting on my seat' and she looks at me like she doesn't understand - so I point to my arse and point to the seat and gesture for her to move.. nothing.

If it was a bloke I would have been a little more forceful but because it was a female I knew I couldn't win. I know I could have called the security staff but then I'd have eneded up looking lika a complaining gobshite and I value my reputation more than I value sitting down.

So I walked away. I beckoned the brother and said let's move and went to another part of the pub (Crane Lane). We had a laugh anyway and the move was good ultimately but it was certainly one of those lose/lose situations.

Got any lose lose situations to share?

Speaking from a female perspective, I would've told her she was taking the pish and that she could move herself or I'd have her moved. You asked her nicely and she took the proverbial. So she couldn't understand English when you said you wanted your chair back, however she could speak enough English to order a drink in a bar. Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

beanie10 wrote: »
    Im guessing you dont moan much??

Have you not read his posts here yet :p:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement