Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lose lose situations.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I would have moved her on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Trying to lose weight. Whether you're a success or not, you lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I know I could have called the security staff but then I'd have eneded up looking lika a complaining gobshite
    That's true - couldn't have that now.

Also, I'm surprised Fr. whathisname's "stools are ****" post has been so underappreciated. Especially in a thread of this calibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I was in the pub last night with the brother. I went to the toilet and when I came back there was a girl sitting in my seat. She knew that she was sitting in my seat but pretended that she didn't. My brother, who was minding the seat/pint, asked her to move but she pretended she didn't understand (foreign girl).

So I'm viewing this situation unfold and I tap her on the shoulder and say 'you're sitting on my seat' and she looks at me like she doesn't understand - so I point to my arse and point to the seat and gesture for her to move.. nothing.

If it was a bloke I would have been a little more forceful but because it was a female I knew I couldn't win. I know I could have called the security staff but then I'd have eneded up looking lika a complaining gobshite and I value my reputation more than I value sitting down.

So I walked away. I beckoned the brother and said let's move and went to another part of the pub (Crane Lane). We had a laugh anyway and the move was good ultimately but it was certainly one of those lose/lose situations.

Got any lose lose situations to share?

This is not a lose-lose situation, it was in fact a win-lose situation where you lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

This is not a lose-lose situation, it was in fact a win-lose situation where you lost.

I disagree. If I got the seat back buy kicking up a fuss I would have looked like a twat - not getting it back was a loss. Lose lose.

Better to walk away imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Once she didn't move when he asked politely even if he got her to move by being more forceful everyone who saw it would have seen him as "the guy getting thick with the girl who can't speak English". Crane Lane is a fairly reserved spot too so it would have definitely attracted attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

There was two of them and two of ye and ye didn't get the ride and walked away and had a good laugh, I'm sorry but this scene comes in to my head for some reason :

But I'm sure ye scored from the other location in the pub. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

When stuff like this happens on a night out I tend to go into, turn the page and forget about it mode, because things are a little differant when drink is involved, for example people trying to jump the que in a nithclub wouldn't piss you off as much as someone trying it in Tesco and if it did you'd be in for a pretty sh!te night.

Satts wrote: »
    There was two of them and two of ye and ye didn't get the ride and walked away and had a good laugh,

They sat down where we were because their male friends were there (one stank of B.O. actually)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Satts wrote: »
    There was two of them and two of ye and ye didn't get the ride and walked away and had a good laugh, I'm sorry but this scene comes in to my head for some reason :

But I'm sure ye scored from the other location in the pub. :p

He said she wasn't good looking...not exactly bikini model material

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I think they were Spanish. Her friend was very apologetic when I told her her friend had very bad manners.

Regardless, language wasn't the problem.

She was being a rude wagon regardless of whether or not she can speak a word of English. You don't have to speak a language to understand when someone is indicating that you've taken their seat.

If that happened to me and she had given the excuse that she couldn't understand English I would have asked which of her friends speak English and had them translate into Spanish my grievance.
    If she still refused to give back the seat depending on my mood and if it looked like there were other seats available I would have either bellowed in her ear "YOU KNOW VERY WELL THIS IS MY SEAT, MOVE!!!" or just moved somewhere else in the pub.

But then I suspect she'd be less likely to do what she did with another female. With a guy she would think the balance of probability is the way you reacted-the fact that most normal guys won't make a scene with a woman over a seat because either male pride means they don't want to be seen as petty or whiney making a big scene about such a relatively small thing, or risk being misconstrued as bullying a woman out of her chair if others around her don't know the context. She was perhaps counting on the fact that as most polite men would willingly give up their seat to a woman if seats were scarce that by extension that meant you wouldn't be so likely to ask for it back.

Given all that I think she would know the odds would be more in favour of another woman asking for the seat back and a more concerted effort would be made by the woman to get it back.

I hate women who pull that kind of crap with men and take advantage of the inbuilt instincts that most men have to be chivalrous and polite towards women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I would have kicked your brother out of his seat when he went to the bathroom. Foreign chick and new seat. That's a win win.
    Did you get her number?

I'd rather go home and have a **** than spend time with a geebag like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

You should have stumbled against your brother and landed half a pint of lager on her head, then apologise profusely while laughing up your sleeve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

You should have........ ah who am I kiddin, I wouldnt have even asked her to move. :o

Greentopia wrote: »
    Given all that I think she would know the odds would be more in favour of another woman asking for the seat back and a more concerted effort would be made by the woman to get it back.

I hate women who pull that kind of crap with men and take advantage of the inbuilt instincts that most men have to be chivalrous and polite towards women.

This is it. My Brother was talking to his GF about this and she said she'd have pulled her off the seat by her nostrils. Of course If I had reacted in such a way I would have looked like a devil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

This is it. My Brother was talking to his GF about this and she said she'd have pulled her off the seat by her nostrils. Of course If I had reacted in such a way I would have looked like a devil.

Your brothers GF would have looked like an absolute maniac. I mean seriously its a seat in a pub ffs!! Im no stranger to a fight, but over a seat in a pub??

Your brothers GF is well cool :cool:

Advertisement