Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of the IT Manager role?

Options
  • 19-08-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

While I realise this isn't strictly a developmental question, I guess everyone in here would be best placed to offer an opinion.

Is the role of IT Manager in Irish SMEs basically dead and buried? In your experience does this role still exist and is it an effective one?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Hi guys,

While I realise this isn't strictly a developmental question, I guess everyone in here would be best placed to offer an opinion.

Is the role of IT Manager in Irish SMEs basically dead and buried? In your experience does this role still exist and is it an effective one?

Thanks.

What do you mean by IT Manager? - Like hardware management, or project management, or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

philologos wrote: »
    What do you mean by IT Manager? - Like hardware management, or project management, or something else?
    I think you've answered my question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I think you've answered my question!

There's many different types, and still very much in use. In larger organisations moreso than smaller ones I think. For example the company I work for is a large, multinational and multisite and as a result there are a lot of project managers and business analysts on software projects.

So yes, there's still a place for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Its more common these days for a lot of IT Mangers "style" to be less micro manage, and more leave people to manage themselves (without getting the management salary that goes along with it).

If everything moves smoothly then they are on the road to easy street ... until the time comes to panic over submitting budgets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I work for a large multinational with many sites and many partners. We have an EMEA IT Manager.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

very small companies can outsource IT maintenance

can remember one company - was it car hire or bank - that had just one IT maintenance person, and he managed the outsourcing of support

depends too on what the business is

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

In the larger firms, management (sometimes even of the Goldilocks "just right") is still prevalent.

Advertisement