Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 pistols restricted/unrestricted.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I wouldn't know what dealers carry any, and i'm sure they would be hesitant to give out info. There is still an air of caution when discussing pistols.

Have a look through the dealer thread, and maybe contact on or two. If some are close travel to them. You'll get further with a face to face.

Dealer's list.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

Ezridax wrote: »
    I wouldn't know what dealers carry any, and i'm sure they would be hesitant to give out info. There is still an air of caution when discussing pistols.

Have a look through the dealer thread, and maybe contact on or two. If some are close travel to them. You'll get further with a face to face.

Dealer's list.

I understand, thanks, thats a start, I'll look into them and make some calls.
    I'm interested in a buckmark, ruger or maybe a hammreli
    I will see whats available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

One thing I just considered,
    I see some on the list are in the north, is there an issue with getting something there or do i need the services of a RFD (and hence a fee for) here in the republic if i see something I want.

sungear wrote: »
    One thing I just considered,
    I see some on the list are in the north, is there an issue with getting something there or do i need the services of a RFD (and hence a fee for) here in the republic if i see something I want.
    Nope. You can involve one if you wish, but it's not necessary.

You apply for the license, then an import license, and lastly a visitor's permit from the PNSI to possess the gun when you drive up to collect.

All in all about 4 weeks for all the permits, and importation licenses. The firearms lciense, well that's anyone's guess. It ranges from weeks to months depending on firearm, and district.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

tac foley wrote: »
    USN SEALS.

tac

Breatta M9 9mm is the US armed forces standard issue sidearm.

SEALS,DELTA,Marine RECON,Green Berets, etc are special forces units of a particular branch of the US armed forces,so they can choose either personal or mission specific weaponary.But the 1911A1 45ACP hasnt been issued to US armed forces personel as standard issue since ..oh 1980?:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

@Tac
    1] Unless it is isued to ALL FIVE branches of the US armed forces.
    IE Army,Navy,Marines,Air Force and Coast Gaurd.
    It is NOT a standard issue US GI firearm.

2] USN SEALs are a special forces unit with their own seperate budget to buy plenty of toys to play with .As do all the other arms that have SF units,but it is still no matter what the M9 is the regulation issue current US sidearm.

3] There is talk of going back to the 45ACP in a pistol,the USMC is looking at a revamped traditional model 1911 for Force Recon.
    But thats as far as it will go..Talk..Budgets will not allow to re equip the entire US armed service from NCO upwards with a new GI 45ACP.
    Especially that not one other NATO ally uses .45 ACP.
    Bad move to have non compatible ammo with your allies.:)

Nor is it a good move to change weaponary in the middle of a conflict..Sure there are now much better weapon designs than the M16 platform [now the longest serving rifle in the US armed forces history],with much better calibres that the uS could afford,but because everyone and their granny are making M16 components for defence contracts and there are billions of dollars of parts inventories.The chances of a change of calibre and gun design is slim.If they arent going to do this with their main rifle,whats the chance of a re issue on a sidearm??:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Guys, this'd be a great thread in the Military forum, but we're drifting a wee bit for the shooting forum, don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi,
    I've read the post and am hoping to get in to pistol shooting soon. I have tried to follow the legislation, the guidelines and the unrestricted/restricted listings etc.

I'm unsurprisingly confused.

Is the GSG 1911 easily licence-able? or that style of gun? (In the .22 calibre)?

surly the magazine is larger than 5 rounds? (which seems to be one of the unrestricted/restricted points?

As I say newbe to this sport (I have read the red bannered posting at the start, and am confused etc).

Im in Kerry if this matters???

dc99 wrote: »
    Is the GSG 1911 easily licence-able? or that style of gun? (In the .22 calibre)?
    This is a sh*ty answer, but no one can answer it accurately. ~It is up to the Super of the district you live in. Some will follow the law, and license it if you meet the criteria. Others will not no matter how much you comply. Some license Olympic style pistols, but not anything "movie" like.

The best you can do is go to a local range that deals with pistols, look around, talk to the lads there as to their experiences getting licenses, see what they use, and make a decision based on that. If you decide to go ahead then fill out your FCA1, and have a chat with your firearms officer before submitting the FCA1 to get his/her thoughts/opinions.
    surly the magazine is larger than 5 rounds? (which seems to be one of the unrestricted/restricted points?
    Certain makes/models can be gotten with 5 rounds mags. Others have had 10 rounds mags altered/adjusted to make them incapable of holding more than five. This must be permanent, and the FO/CPO may inspect them to make sure.

So it's not a case of what they come as, it's a case of what they can hold when in your possession. Anymore than five, and you would be in breach of your license conditions, and guilty of an offence. Unlicensed firearm as it would be technically a restricted firearm.
    I'm in Kerry if this matters???
    There are a few pistol shooters from Kerry on here so hopefully one or two can come along, and give their experience on the licensing procedure in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

No Problem with the "sh*ty" answer, I understand that this is not an 'exact science' :-).
    It does confuse me alright.
    I see somewhere else in the postings that someone casually mentions 'getting a Sig Mosquito', which is the type of pistol I'd like to get (I know I've read reviews online and on youtube, lotta people don't like them...) or something similar.

Thanks for the answer so far though, every thing helps to shed some light...

• Advertisement
Advertisement