Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have a landline phone?

• 19-08-2012 9:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

I don't, seems like a waste of money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Nope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Dunno why we do. can't remember the last time I used one myself. Ring my mobile or contact me on facebook ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Give us a poll :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yep

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I do but mainly for Eircom's broadband as there is no other proper broadband available here and I don't count crappy Three as anything less than a subpar version of a carrier pigeon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have a landline and a phone, just so I can have broadband, the phone is a cordless phone that started beeping 1 night cause it was fully charged or something (had been left without being touched for months) so I threw it in a drawer, herself plugged out the base a while back, I don't think the phone has been used in at least a year, but I am paying for the landline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fr Jessup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yep, package deal from eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Yes but nobody has the number, it came with the broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We do, because where we live we cannot get broadband without also having a landline phone.
    Bloody annoying and massive waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

my UPC package worked out cheaper with a landline than without, so yeah I have one. Use it very rarely when I can't find my mobile. Usually to ring my mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

We do, mostly because the mobile reception is rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Yu can not have my number

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

No, I have no need for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

phasers wrote: »
    my UPC package worked out cheaper with a landline than without, so yeah I have one. Use it very rarely when I can't find my mobile. Usually to ring my mobile.

Same here. Only used the odd time for actual calls but used nearly daily for finding my phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No, I live alone so have no need for a landline.
    Broadband signal around here is rubbish but I put up with it cos it would be a waste of money getting a landline in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Yea. I keep it right next to the vcr.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

yep
    What AotF said. Old stylee analogue jobbie too. For me "wireless" is great, but I like the security of a hard line(missus) I can rely on. I'm old. I'm like the dog in the His Masters Voice pics. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I have one because like a few others here, had to get it with eircom's broadband. I have no use for it though and don't actually have a telephone set. No harm really, I could see herself running up big bills on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Wibbs wrote: »
    What AotF said. Old stylee analogue jobbie too. For me "wireless" is great, but I like the security of a hard line(missus) I can rely on. I'm old. I'm like the dog in the His Masters Voice pics. :D

what Wibbs said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Yes - with eircom for broadband and have had the landline for years. Don't even know if you can just get broadband from eircom? I would get rid of it if possible as we never use it.

And despite the fact that it's common to laugh at people having eircom broadband round these parts, I have had nothing but trouble and poor customer service from both UPC and Imagine but no problems with eircom, so we'll be sticking with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Yes....
    need it for broadband, Eircom as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Have one that came with Eircom. Only use it for when the baby has a nap and ring one to the other and mute/loud speaker it. Can't use the baby monitor ad it needs the mat so stays in the bed. Sh%&*t handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Mobile reception is woeful on the house so landline is essential. And its so cheap with UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

No, I live alone so have no need for a landline.

Do you have to live with people to want to call someone? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Yep for lo-call numbers and ringing places like Brazil and The Vatican.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

It seems to me that some of you are confusing landline phone service from Eircom(with standing charges whether you use the phone or not) with VOiP phone service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Yep,Vodafone At Home.A lot cheaper than Eircom plus it's the best broadband service I can get where I live.

I never use the phone though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yes another VAH customer. 6 calls last month...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

what Wibbs said
    What admiralofthefleet said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yes, of course we do! I think it's foolish to rely on just a mobile. What if the phone breaks, you lose the phone, have it stolen, you're out of credit, out of coverage? Anything could happen to a mobile, which is why we have a landline as backup. We also have broadband. Anyone who relies on mobile data access must have money to burn - I think it's horrendously expensive! :eek:

Furthermore, as I'm English I need the phone in order to call home! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

No, got a mobile and a skype phone. I used to have a landline with eircom but I'd have maybe 3 euros worth of calls on my bill and the rest was just rental, and a proper rip-off. So I cancelled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I'm hoping not to in the new house. Planning to get UPC broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Yeah, have upc broadband, home phone with free calls , and digital tv for like 70 a month, good deal imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

of course I have a landline, I wouldn't leave home without it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Why have a landline phone when you can send telegrams delivered by hand. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Nope...

And it brings a smile to My face when I think back to how much money We have saved rather than let those thievin feckers at eircom have it.

Am seriously thinkin of getting in a Blueface phone though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Cisco 7960G + Blueface ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

emzolita wrote: »
    Yeah, have upc broadband, home phone with free calls , and digital tv for like 70 a month, good deal imo

Same here :)

I have family and friends in Germany, calling them from a mobile would be a bit too expensive for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Nope. Got rid of mine a few years ago. Don't miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

No, I don't need it. I have a free landline calls add on for my mobile which suits me fine so I can ring other landlines for free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

lahnd.......laine.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Yep, just recently for a few reasons: broadband, have to make overseas calls a lot, and when I am chatting I don't want to radiate my brain (also hate how mobiles get hot when talking for a long time).

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

never had one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've several landline numbers, but it's all VoIP based.

Advertisement