Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job situation in Limerick for students?

Options
  • 19-08-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

How hard is it to find part-time work in Limerick as a student? Obviously it's not good nationwide but are there any jobs going at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MU_1878

Have you any bar experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

You may also find something in the Need a Job? thread in the Limerick forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

thanks lads, no bar experience unfortunately. a summer in a hotel, 6 or seven months in a shop (both part time) is all the experience I have.

Clohessy's on harveys quay will be looking for new people with the colleges coming back! If you know anyone that works there at the moment its an advantage, get them to give in a recommendation, if not, ask for a manager and sell yourself well! Its tough work with unsociable hours but if you're a good worker then you'll get on great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Lodge out in Castletroy will be getting busy with students back

Maybe try for glass collector and in time, they will put you behind the bar

Hard work but pay will be ok

Don't just drop in a CV, when you want to try somewhere, , dress well, ask for the manager, shake their hand and introduce yourself.
    They'll remember you instead of the stacks of CV's they get
    edit: advice given above ^^^^

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions lads. Would take any job really.

What college are you in?/going to?

possibly going to UL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'm off to UL in September myself, is there any pub* nearby where I'd have a chance of getting work experience/training in exchange for working there for free, until I'm trained or for longer than that? I really need something to put on my CV under 'work experience'.

*Pub/hotel/restaurant/shop/anywhere like that which might provide experience useful for future part-time/summer jobs.

what chance have i got when this lad is offering slave labour lol?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

pbowenroe wrote: »
    what chance have i got when this lad is offering slave labour lol?

*Lass. :P

Well, you have actual work experience, practically all I have is 'I work hard, hire me'. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

There are plenty of spots around, but just be aware you're not only competing with other students for the jobs, you're also competing with everyone else in the city. Try Spar and Stables at the very least, seen a few 1st years working in there during the year.
    Well, you have actual work experience, practically all I have is 'I work hard, hire me'

Lie. It doesn't have to be drastic, just say you've done some work experience and name some generic jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Lie. It doesn't have to be drastic, just say you've done some work experience and name some generic jobs.

And don't post about lying on Boards, your boss could potentially read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Cydoniac wrote: »
    There are plenty of spots around, but just be aware you're not only competing with other students for the jobs, you're also competing with everyone else in the city. Try Spar and Stables at the very least, seen a few 1st years working in there during the year.

Does anyone tell the truth anymore ? I now believe most people are Lieing unless they can prove different .

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boo-yaw-ka-shaa

Smyths Bar Icon always looking for bar and floor staff! Thought the fact they are constantly advertising would suggest a worryingly high staff turnover ha!

anto9 wrote: »
    Does anyone tell the truth anymore ? I now believe most people are Lieing unless they can prove different .
    Sometimes if you know you're right for the job, you've got to bluff a bit because having no work experience puts employers off so badly. Once you get on the ladder you never have to pull out tricks like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 simoriartynead

The facebook page Limerick Jobs used to have a good few jobs advertied;

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Limerick-Jobs/123996541021531

Smyths/Icon & Angel Lane are often taking on glass collectors/bar staff!!

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

honestly there are quiet a few jobs around limerick but getting one is another story and its only going to get worse when college starts.

I have no 'real' experience and I've been trying to get a job all summer and failed thus far :(

Blag it if you want a bar job

It's how a lot of people got their start, just say you have experience

The boss wants good reliable workers and if you are that they will keep you

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Blag it if you want a bar job

It's how a lot of people got their start, just say you have experience

The boss wants good reliable workers and if you are that they will keep you

would they not check references ??

• Advertisement

Most take your word for it, especially for a more 'informal' job where you're not required to have specific skills. You could have your school principal as a referee if you really needed a reliable one though.

Not realy

That want good reliable staff, lots of experience is not such a big deal

Blag your way in if necessary but once you get your first shift, just work hard and they will always keep you

Advertisement