Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin Tyler

• 19-08-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

If I hear Martin Tyler say the Premier League is the most wonderful league in the world one more time I think I'll have to hunt him down and cut his tongue out.

Yes City v Southampton had excitement and 5 goals but it was hardly exceptional. The champions a team of millionaire's owned by billionaire's beat a newly promoted side at home. That is all.

Oh and Martin it really is quite simple for the viewer to differentiate between the last weekend of last season and the first weekend of this one. We're not idiots.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

What annoys me most about him is, when city/big team have the ball he calls all the players names yet when the opposition have the ball (saints today) and they're not a well known team, he spouts ****e and hasn't a clue of who anyone is, except their one or two main players. It's insulting to say the least. An absolute joke of a commentator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Martin Tyler works for Sky by the way.

EDIT:

I actually agree with him though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It's easy to see why these commentators say "Premier league is the best" "most exciting" all that crap everytime. They work for sky and they do their best to sell the product (yeah league is not product but for sky it is).

Still annoying though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You'd almost think he worked for the company that show the games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

I liked Tyler in the past but over the last season or so I think he's losing it a little, way to effusive about the bigger teams whilst being condescending about the smaller ones.

Yeah he works for Sky but that's no excuse for treating the viewers like dummys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I don't mind him, he does sh1te on about the league being great alot but you could do alot worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I don't see subtlety in any of sky's channels, so sport should be no different. Everything is the greatest or the best apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

Gary Neville was as bad today. I never liked him as a player but I have to say he was a breath of fresh air last season compared to Andy Grey, I enjoyed listening to him but today he came out with a phrase something along the lines of "if you ask people around the world 99% of them would say that the EPL is the best brand of football available" and other such qoutes.

It's as if he got a lesson in the Andy Gray school of commentating over the summer. I know he works for SKY and he has to sell it but some of the stuff that got spouted out at times today was bad and there was no subtlety about it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Most of the $ky Sports generation believe what they are told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Ah, this was hardly his own doing. I reckon it's a strategy sent down from the higher-ups, Sky pretty much have a monopoly on football in the UK and they're going to do their best to ensure their product sells. It's still very annoying though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Of course they have to tow the line.

I watched $ky Sports for many years and don't ever remember their hosts say that a game was poor. They always pushed the positives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

If you think Martin Tyler is a bad commentator then you obviously haven't had the delight of watching a football match commentated on by Trevor Welch. Even a quick google of his name and the second result is 'Why Tv3's Trevor Welch shouldn't be allowed near football games'

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Mute the telly, problem solved

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I'd love to be able to watch a game with just the crowd noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

If you think Martin Tyler is a bad commentator then you obviously haven't had the delight of watching a football match commentated on by Trevor Welch. Even a quick google of his name and the second result is 'Why Tv3's Trevor Welch shouldn't be allowed near football games'

Trevor "Reee-all Madrid" Welch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

lordgoat wrote: »

I did that for some of the Olympic games. There was one stream in particular that just had crowd noise. I found it very unsettling to be honest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I like Martin Tyler.

The constant commentary on how great the Premiership is does grate on me too, although what I dislike most about him is the constant praise for the English players.

The main job of a commentator though is to call the action and generate excitement and you can't fault him for that. Must have been awesome for his kids having him at their games.

'AND HE GOES FOR GOOOAAAALLLLLL'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think he is a great commentator.

The main commentator is usually just has to have an ameanable voice and throw in a couple of stats - its the co-commentator that usually provides the analysis (come back Andy!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

What annoys me most about him is, when city/big team have the ball he calls all the players names yet when the opposition have the ball (saints today) and they're not a well known team, he spouts ****e and hasn't a clue of who anyone is, except their one or two main players. It's insulting to say the least. An absolute joke of a commentator.

This is so true. It's incredibly obvious that he doesn't give a shíte about the smaller teams.

If a commentator is going to do anything it should be saying the players names. That's actually something useful for the viewers, unlike telling us for the hundredth time that this is an exciting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

has the david mitchell clip been added yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

ITV managed to mute their commentators for the first 15 mins of Sunderland/Peterborough in the FA Cup last season. It was considerably better than what followed when they 'fixed' the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Every sport should be commentated on by Timmy McCarthy who did the basketball for the Olympics. Boom-shackalacka only sounds good in a cork accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I do that every week, in a stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Its a disgrace isnt it,

In unrelated news, the guy working at the phone shop kept going on about how great the phone I was looking at was.

G.K. wrote: »
    ITV managed to mute their commentators for the first 15 mins of Sunderland/Peterborough in the FA Cup last season. It was considerably better than what followed when they 'fixed' the issue.

I remember that game.
    dan1895 wrote: »
    I do that every week, in a stadium.

Well done. But why are you watching a match on the tv in a stadium.

Oh right I see what you were trying to do now. See this thread is about tv commentary. The name of the thread is a commentator who is generally quite annoying. You probably are too busy at your little stadium to be bothered by such frivolities but for some reason you decided to come into this thread and proclaim what you do every week like we care for some reason.

Toddle on now, back to your stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Am I the only person that actually enjoys exciting commentators like Tyler? Knowing ridiculous amounts of tactical information and detailed player backgrounds is all well and good, but for the most part its not entertaining. TV is entertainment, its why football is on sky.

For the record, I still can't help but smile whenever I hear "AGUEROO"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I like Tyler. He's just following instructions laid out before the season started by the Sky big wigs. He will lay off as the season goes on and then the Sky bosses will be back onto him for the title run in.

The main men at Sky are out of touch with the viewership. They seem to think when a tight match is in the last minutes that the viewers want to look at people in the crowd or the manager sitting on the bench and then there is the obsession with overweight people in the crowd :confused:

Sky are also one of the few tv companies that make it near impossible to offer feedback. There is no official way to do this but its probably in place how they dont get inundated by people thinking they are biased against <insert team here>

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

Well...... go to a match then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Best commentator in the game for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Agueroooooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

you can choose the commentary: the TV one, radio or the crowd through the red button on sky

I'm not 100% sure if it works for all games but it does for some

& you might be able to do that with the BBC red button as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

And it's LIVE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Near the end of the match Tyler was coming out with some bollocks about physiological, psychological affects... It's so transparent, his pre-mediation with these mickey arse comments.

..."It's Southampton today. They're just promoted. I'll come with some condescending sound bite that I can shoe horn in at some stage."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

how do you know it's bollocks though, have you ever played away at the leagues champions in your first game in a newly promoted side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

If I hear Martin Tyler say the Premier League is the most wonderful league in the world one more time I think I'll have to hunt him down and cut his tongue out.

Yes City v Southampton had excitement and 5 goals but it was hardly exceptional. The champions a team of millionaire's owned by billionaire's beat a newly promoted side at home. That is all.
    In fairness there aren't that many leagues around where a newly promoted side can go away to the league champions, who were unbeaten at home last season, and go 2-1 up with 20mins to go, despite having only 19% possession in the whole of the second half.

It was an unbelievable final 30 mins. I can't blame him for being excited - everyone loves an underdog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Worst.Commentator.Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

An absolute joke of a commentator.

I had to stop reading immediately after seeing this. Tyler, is by a long long distance the best commentator in the sport, and has been for a very long time.

Sure,he has his faults, they all do. Yes, the whole "best league in the world" thing gets irritating, but he works for the company and that is their blurb. Okay, the bit yesterday about us confusing last of last season with the game was laboured and stupid, but his good points outweigh his faults vastly.

Good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

allprops wrote: »
    Every sport should be commentated on by Timmy McCarthy who did the basketball for the Olympics. Boom-shackalacka only sounds good in a cork accent.

He is an embarrassment......only one step ahead of Trevor Welsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Worst.Commentator.Ever.

No.He.Is.Not
    I can't think of a better commentator tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

I'm going the season with sky on mute. Match build up/half time and full time analysis and the commentary is just a constant plug to sell their product. It's hideous. Tyler is awful. That they have niall quinn now as part of the setup just confirms it for me. They are ruining their own product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Prefer him to most tbh although his Arguero orgasm was faked :p

On a side note, had to laugh at Gary Neville yesterday, both him and Tyler were commenting on how much weight Tevez had lost, and Neville said "He looks hungry".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Leftist wrote: »
    I'm going the season with sky on mute. Match build up/half time and full time analysis and the commentary is just a constant plug to sell their product. It's hideous. Tyler is awful. That they have niall quinn now as part of the setup just confirms it for me. They are ruining their own product.

Well they have paid a heck of alot of money to retain the rights (70% more than previous deal ) so they have to keep up the brain washing that the EPL is the best league in the Galaxy.

I much prefer Tyler when he commentates on his own for the international market.He does a far better job and actually describes what is happening on the pitch instead of babbling about inane stuff.

As for Quinn,how he was left commentate on Man City's last few matches last season was ludicrous.
    A commentator is supposed to be neutral,its not fanzone .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

If you go to a noisey pub you can get a similar affect to being in certain stadiums. Drunk fellas who buy a jersey and are on first name terms with tha players, spouting tripe about tactics and how they could do better!

I must say I didn't notice any of this yesterday. I thought he was very knowledgeable and respectful towards Southampton.

I currently think he is the best commentator out there.

For the record Barry Davies was by far the best football commentator around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Some amount of anti-Sky bias being thrown Tyler's way in this thread. Hes dropped his game a little in the last year but is still a fine commentator, try Trevor Welch, Stephen Alkin, Ger Canning etc if you want an uninformed buffoon style commentator to whinge about and leave the pros to do what they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I don't mind Tyler. He's very long winded at times and it's his job to promote the league even if it is over the top but his vocal range during an intense/exciting moment is a joy to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I used to love Ian Darke when he worked for Sky. Think he used to do the Monday night football.

May not have been the most knowledgeable of commentators but he had a genuine excitement in his voice that made you velieve he was really enjoying what he was watching. More known now for his boxing commentary. Tyler always cam across as a bit generic for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

adox wrote: »
    I used to love Ian Darke when he worked for Sky. Think he used to do the Monday night football.

May not have been the most knowledgeable of commentators but he had a genuine excitement in his voice that made you velieve he was really enjoying what he was watching. More known now for his boxing commentary. Tyler always cam across as a bit generic for me.

Still does Setanta sometimes i think .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Still does Setanta sometimes i think .

He does commentary for ESPN. Was watching Arsenal V Sunderland and himself and Steve McManaman were commentating on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

That_Guy wrote: »
    He does commentary for ESPN. Was watching Arsenal V Sunderland and himself and Steve McManaman were commentating on it.

Ah i was getting him mixed up Paul Dempsey .

pauldempsey.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Tyler's not too bad! His commentary like the "Aguero moment" (coming from a United fan!) is great for a neutral!
    Loved the one when Ji scored the winner for Sunderland vs City... "It's Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement