Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very over weight and pregnant

Options
  • 19-08-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Firstly mods I am not looking for medical advice. I have doctors for that!!! I just want to know if any ladies out there have had a pregnancy while very over weight and how did you cope.

My story is I am married for 15 years happily and we never planned children, mainly due to my husband's work and he would be posted away for long periods at a time.

Long story short. I am 41 years old, 20 stone and now 8 weeks pregnant. I had lost over 4 stone in the last year. I don't want or need anyone telling how bad it is for my health being so over weight. I know that and that is why I was doing something abut it. This pregnancy was not planned. We used birth control but here we are pregnant and to be honest, we are both totally delighted.

I expected when I went to the GP to have it confirmed that I would be told I was high risk but nothing of the kind was said, nor when I got a appointment at the early pregnancy clinic. They did bloods, weighted me, BP, just all the normal stuff but again nobody said anything about my weight. I was told all was fine and I would be booked in for a dating scan.
    I was sort of shocked as I half expected to be given out to for having a baby while carrying so much extra weight and told how high risk I am.

My BP is perfect, I have no health issues and lots of energy. I have a active life and swim 3/4 times a week and always have done. Yes, I am fat, no medical reason other than I was eating to much but over the last year I was eating really well. I never ate the junk food anyway just to big of portions for any years.

Anyway, what I want to know have any of you had or know anyone who had a baby while so heavy and how did they find the pregnancy? Any thing that they found hard going? Also maternity clothes? I would be a size 24 and needless to say not any maternity clothes of that size around. So where did you buy your stuff. How was the birth, recovery. Just any information you can give me please. I will ask at the next appointment but would like to know other womens stories.

I just want a little advice (not medical) on what to expect as a heavier woman. This feel like a blessing to both of us and while unplanned we could not be happpier, just shocked that the doctors are all so relaxed and to be delighted that they can see that I am a normal woman who feels fine and always had loads of energy. No morning sicknes or anything other that sore boobs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Hi mummy2be,

I would be classified as overweight by my doctor (BMI 38 weight is around 17 stone now as) Im nearly 30 weeks into my 2nd pregnancy I wear size 20/22 trousers and 18 tops. Matternity clothes - I have found peacocks do larger maternity clothes and online is good as well.

With my first child I was 9 stone when I was pregnant all they did was tell me that baby was too small was I eating ok etc

This time apart from having to have a glucose test they have left me well enough alone. I have had several other issues but they havent mentioned my weight at the hospital.

Overall I feel much better this time around that with my first and Im still working a 40-48hr week.

So I can't see any issues with being heavier and pregnant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

I wouldn't worry too much about being over weight i was 19stone at the start of my pregnancy and Im due to be induced Thursday as baby is too comfortable and doesn't want to make am appearance, i have had a healthy pregnancy all along, bp is starting to act up the last 2weeks but other then that everything was great

i got some of my tops in mothercare and i got the rest in simply be, they have some lovely maternity clothes on there website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Congrats on your pregnancy!
    While weight can be an issue, fitness levels are often a better indication of health, and it sounds like you're quite active. Swimming would be great to keep up during pregnancy, low impact excerise is perfect :)
    Clothes wise, try asos.com for maternity clothes, I got a few bits and they were lovely. I like the Next maternity trousers (the nice light lineny ones) too.
    I also tended to just buy long vest tops to wear under cardis that I already had.
    A few key maternity items, and vest tops/ loose shirts, flowy tops will get you through no problem!
    Congrast again :D

Advertisement