Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this breaking any laws?

Options
  • 19-08-2012 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum.

A shop which i regularly use has basiclly gotten on my nerves with this practice.
    As of late, they will not have certain stock and try to push other stock. For instance, no bottles of coke, and will have a deal on cheap homestead cola.

I know that's a fairly petty complaint. But A new trend has started, for the last few weeks the retailer (This is a large chain store) has been selling single items from multipacks which blatently state "not to be sold separetly"
    for the full price of it's non-multipack counterparts. If this was an isolated thing i wouldnt mind so much, but it's not.

So, whats the story here? The retailer is clearly getting the multipacks cheaper than standard stock, yet he's opening them up and selling them at full whack. Is this illegal, if so, who should be notified?
    Surely this cant be standard practice for a large household name to be carrying on like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Is this illegal

No. It may be against the terms and conditions he has with his supplier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I think this has come up before and from what I remember it's not allowed. I honestly don't see the issue though. People get really angry about it. The can of Coke (if that's what it is) is still juts that, a can of Coke. The quality isn't lessened. The shop has found a way of getting stock cheaper, good for them. How this affects the customer negatively is a mystery to me? Are you really going to complain about them? How is it affecting you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

So the retailer is just bending the rules rather than breaking them?

I think this has come up before and from what I remember it's not allowed. I honestly don't see the issue though. People get really angry about it. The can of Coke (if that's what it is) is still juts that, a can of Coke. The quality isn't lessened. The shop has found a way of getting stock cheaper, good for them. How this affects the customer negatively is a mystery to me? Are you really going to complain about them? How is it affecting you?

How it's affecting me is that he's making more money from me than he should be. The multipacks are cheaper because you're buying in bulk amounts, to break those open and sell them as single units at the full price, which granted may only be a few cent cheaper is still a few cents that's being taken at my expense to line the retailers pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

So frigging what, your getting the same product for the same price, now go and worry about some real problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

So it's that he might make a few cent more?

I suspect if they sold it a cent or 2 cheaper there would be no complaints about the item sayin multi pack on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

How it's affecting me is that he's making more money from me than he should be. The multipacks are cheaper because you're buying in bulk amounts, to break those open and sell them as single units at the full price, which granted may only be a few cent cheaper is still a few cents that's being taken at my expense to line the retailers pockets.

But its not at your expense. Also he's not holding a gun to your head to buy it there. If your not happy, take your business elsewhere.

dan1895 wrote: »
    If your not happy, take your business elsewhere.

Yeah i've been doing that for a few weeks, dropped in again this evening and the multipack singles are still there.

Tell me something though, why dont other retailers dont partake in this practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Yeah i've been doing that for a few weeks, dropped in again this evening and the multipack singles are still there.

Tell me something though, why dont other retailers dont partake in this practice?

Honestly don't know but as mentioned above it could be against an agreement with suppliers and most shops don't want to upset them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

He's probably not doing anything illegal, but if you like to rat him out to the manufacturers or distributors of those products, they'll sort him out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

a small shop trying to stay afloat I'd say

efb wrote: »
    a small shop trying to stay afloat I'd say

it's part of a nationwide chain, and i'm not sure how much the shop makes. I could understand if it was a shop in the middle of nowhere, but it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is this illegal, if so, who should be notified?
    Surely this cant be standard practice for a large household name to be carrying on like this?

This question has been asked many times here before, and it's not illegal. It may be in violation of the retailer's agreement with their supplier/wholesaler, but it's not illegal.

bennyineire If you can't post constructively, then please don't post

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Its not illegal in any way but the distributer is likely to stop selling to that store if told about it.

Thanks all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

it's part of a nationwide chain, and i'm not sure how much the shop makes. I could understand if it was a shop in the middle of nowhere, but it's not.

If it's not a Tesco or Dunnes I'm assuming that it's not part of a chain but a franchise, in which case it could well be a single operator trying to stay afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Off topic, My local Centra has been selling English Coke 500ml bottles for a while now, I very rarely drink Coke anymore but I have bought 2 of these and 2 cans of Irish Coke and the bottles taste rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

dudara wrote: »
    This question has been asked many times here before, and it's not illegal. It may be in violation of the retailer's agreement with their supplier/wholesaler, but it's not illegal.

bennyineire If you can't post constructively, then please don't post

dudara

Mmm moderators sticking together, I think I made a good point though if you read the post, he/she is getting the same product for the same price so whats the differ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It's called business, if you don't like the way they conduct it, shop elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

:confused: who determines how much the retailer should be making from you? As I said, the retailer has found a cheaper alternative to getting the same product. The quality has not been lessened at all.

• Advertisement

Mmm moderators sticking together, I think I made a good point though if you read the post, he/she is getting the same product for the same price so whats the differ

The big difference is that he could have saved money by buying the multi-packs, but the retailer has shot this down in flames because the option to save money in this way no longer exists due to the multi-packs being split up and individually sold for the non-offer price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP you should report the shop to the manufacturer, Coca-cola or whoever and they will send a rep out to the shop to sort them out, there should probably be agreements in place with wholesalers and shops that these multi-pack are not split up and sold seperately.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The big difference is that he could have saved money by buying the multi-packs, but the retailer has shot this down in flames because the option to save money in this way no longer exists due to the multi-packs being split up and individually sold for the non-offer price.

The OP hasnt said the shop isnt selling multipacks aswell. Assuming this is a Spar/Centra etc type shop, any I've been in do.

The OP hasnt said the shop isnt selling multipacks aswell. Assuming this is a Spar/Centra etc type shop, any I've been in do.

He hasn't said that they are either.:P

.. and even if there are multi-packs available, the fact that some have been split means that some random shoppers aren't going to reap the benefits of the multi-pack offer after the shop runs out of multi-packs prematurely.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

.. and even if there are multi-packs available, the fact that some have been split means that some random shoppers aren't going to reap the benefits of the multi-pack offer after the shop runs out of multi-packs prematurely.

Lots of ifs and buts though. It's more likely the do have multipacks and the people that want them and getting them. Despite the fact that these threads pop up now and again, I'm not hearing the cries from the public waiting in long lines being deprived of their multipacks of coke cans. Maybe the UN will do an aide drop in the area :)

At the end of the day the only ones that will gain or lose in this is Coca Cola and the shop owner respectively. The customer will still pay whatever the price of a can is. Even in the unlikely event that a distributer will cut his nose off to spite his face , the shop owner will probably just buy his coke from further afield and possibly make more on a can than he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Most of "Symbol" stores are indepentantly owned Franchise outlets, so each store needs to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you have a problem then please take it to the Feedback forum or elsewhere. Do not further clog up the thread.

You may have had a good point in your post, but the manner of the post was not welcome.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Nah, you have no argument there. You obviously can't assume he isn't selling multi-packs, and even if he isn't then there's still no loss to the customer as the customer is buying single cans at the price marked. Even if they weren't splitting the multi-packs they'd be entirely within their rights to not stock them at all and the customer has no "right" to insist on them doing so.

My biggest issue with this is that the customer isn't expecting it and will likely only find out half way through their drink. Does it actually make any difference? Probably not, although I think in some other cases (such as crisps) the packets in the multipacks can be smaller. Ultimately the people who have the most to lose in this are the suppliers, and I don't think there's enough injustice here to warrant those of us not party to the contract getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

this used to happen in a Centra near where I work. One of the lads in the job drinks coke by the gallon and every time he would see them selling multipack cans loosely, he would give out to them in the shop and they would just give it to him for nothing!

why don't you just take the issue up with the shopkeeper first, you never know, you might get something for nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

It doesnt matter if the shop is a centra or Spar or whatever. Small shops are struggling these days to stay afloat. If the owner is trying to make an extra few quid fair play to him. Would you really report them over something as petty as opening a multipack of crips or coke and selling them? If you dont like it shop elsewhere, thats business. Are you type of person that would ring the gaurds if you spotted a car without a tax disc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement