Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this breaking any laws?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

areyawell wrote: »
    If you dont like it shop elsewhere, thats business. Are you type of person that would ring the gaurds if you spotted a car without a tax disc?

Driving without tax is illegal. Splitting multipacks is the choice of the shop owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Surely the consumer can choose not to buy these items when they have "not for indivivdual resale" or "part of a multipack not to be sold inividually" on the label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If the shop is selling foreign coke or selling multipacks as singles and using any fridges rented/leased from Coca-cola they might find themselves in hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If the shop is selling foreign coke or selling multipacks as singles and using any fridges rented/leased from Coca-cola they might find themselves in hot water.
    Insofar as taking the fridges back is hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Insofar as taking the fridges back is hot water.

The retailer can sell them any way he wants with little recourse from the supplier.

They havent given fridges out for years.

There are a number of reasons why they may be selling split multipacks.

They may have been supplied the wrong product and recieved multipacks instead of singles.

The multipacks were damaged and had to be split.

The multipacks were cheaper and he saw an opportunity to make a few extra €.

To those who think that hes making a killing , well he might be making a few € extra per case 10c a can.

The GB coke that came into the country is a shot across the bows for Coke IRELAND, its to show them that the same product can be sourced elsewhere cheaper and that prices increases wont be given into easily.

Its not illegal and not in breach of any supplier agreements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Might be in breach of labeling regulations. Not really an issue if its just some guy that owns a Centra or Spar imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How it's affecting me is that he's making more money from me than he should be.
    I was asking in another thread

-If they were proper single retail packs and you somehow found out he got them at a very good price (below mulitpack price per 100g), or that they won them in a prize would you be similarly concerned?

Might be in breach of labeling regulations.
    The multipack thing has no legal bearing. But it could break other laws, like if it does not state the weight or nutritional information on the bar. I am not sure what is required by law but it is common to see little info on mulitpack products and the info is on the large wrapper containing all the items. Shops sell cakes with no info so it might be allowed.

The other issue is if they were not the stated weight. I often get half empty bags of crisps in mulitpacks, while other packs might be jam packed, over all it averages out correct. i.e. There is probably a legal % allowance to be below the stated weight, and the overall mulitpack might conform to this while some individual packs might not. I expect it is put on a quicker production line that fills packs to a wider tolerance. This is not really an issue for bars or cans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

areyawell wrote: »
    It doesnt matter if the shop is a centra or Spar or whatever. Small shops are struggling these days to stay afloat. If the owner is trying to make an extra few quid fair play to him. Would you really report them over something as petty as opening a multipack of crips or coke and selling them? If you dont like it shop elsewhere, thats business. Are you type of person that would ring the gaurds if you spotted a car without a tax disc?

the problem i would see with crisps taking tayto's as an example, is

a: multi packs of tayto's have smaller bags, so at the same price as the bigger bags would be a rip off,

and

b: they don't taste as strong (or as nice imo) as the bags you buy in a pub/shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I know where I work that we sometimes get free stock when you order 'x' amount. 10 orders of 24x500ml of Coke and one free. This stock goes out on the shelf. Because we got it for free does that mean you deserve to get it for cheaper? Everyone's trying to maximise their profits. you seem to be under the impression that the profit margin on products is not allowed to change from shop to shop. Once again, the quality of the product is the same therefore no loss to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

hoodwinked wrote: »
    b: they don't taste as strong (or as nice imo) as the bags you buy in a pub/shop.

get a grip will you, they are the same product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

a: multi packs of tayto's have smaller bags, so at the same price as the bigger bags would be a rip off
    I think the bags are 37g and 25g, this is very noticeable. I have heard people complain about only being able to get large 37g bags. If shops comply with taytos wishes they cannot offer the smaller bags at a price inline per 100g with the large ones.
    The ingredients & nutritional info are the exact same whenever I checked, could still be adjustments I suppose but I doubt it. There are anecdotes of the "pub crisps" being different, I never compared packs, i.e. the packs that actually have "pub" written on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

in response to the dozens of questions aimed directly at my posts, i've already answered most of them on the first page and my initial question was satisfied by some of the posts on the first page. I'm no longer looking for any further information on the legality of selling individual mulipack items. Thanks again.

Also, yes it is a franchise rather than a chain, bad degrassinoel bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK, this thread is starting to go past it's Sell By date.

Closed - dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement