Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating for 2nd time.

• 19-08-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Right, here's my shtory now. First time round I got 360 cause I did **** all work. I wanna do vetmed btw and I knew I was gonna repeat anyway in a diff school. Anyway, this year I repeated and got 520, I had the feeling I wasn't gonna get it this time either. My second choice is Animal science but I don't think i'll be able to cause I'm pretty sure I'll hate it. So I'm thinking of repeating. Again. I'm sure I'll get it this time. I just don't know what Imma do D: Has anyone here repeated twice? Help please :):o:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Wobbledeeboop

http://www.studyhungary.hu/pages.php?pageID=23

400 Irish students each year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Undiscovered

I have a friend who repeated twice for medicine. Second time she just barely missed and she got it the third time. It was tough but worth it for her.

Another option is to do a science course and if you still want to do vet you can apply for the graduate entry 4 year course. Also look into the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kt_rox

Is you know you won't like animal science then how do you know you won't like vetmed?
    To me they seem like kind of similar subjects...
    If you get your degree in animal science then you can do veterinary that way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Blinky9325

I've a friend in Budapest doing vetmed and she likes it, but I'm sure I'd get it this time around. I know I could go in the graduate entry to vet med it's just every graduate year in UCD is 20 grand. That's 80 grand after I've done 4 years of college already, and I doubt very much my parents will have that lying around :\ I've done years of vet experience and I'm a farmer , it's just I don't want to go to college and not do vetmed. I'd go into a depression!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Blinky9325 wrote: »
    Right, here's my shtory now. First time round I got 360 cause I did **** all work. I wanna do vetmed btw and I knew I was gonna repeat anyway in a diff school. Anyway, this year I repeated and got 520, I had the feeling I wasn't gonna get it this time either. My second choice is Animal science but I don't think i'll be able to cause I'm pretty sure I'll hate it. So I'm thinking of repeating. Again. I'm sure I'll get it this time. I just don't know what Imma do D: Has anyone here repeated twice? Help please :):o:confused:

Blinky, well done on a great leaving cert :) Many years ago I too repeated my leaving cert (pre-hpat) and there were a good few people who were repeating for the third and fourth time trying to get medicine, every time they would miss it buy 5/10 points. One poor girl even went down in points one year! There were also people who had completed science degrees and had failed to get in the graduate route so decided to repeat! I dont think you should repeat. I think the points system has gone out of control and let's face it you would basically need to be aiming for six A1s! If I were you I would look into the studying in the uk as I am sure you have very good grades. You will probably have to wait til next year though! But in the meantime maybe you would consider a plc in something animal related?

• Advertisement

Thanks :D I think I would do way better this year because I took up new subjects and ended up getting A1's in them and ignoring my existing (and most difficult) subjects like maths and english. Plus this year I only got into the routine of studying hard in the new year considering it was such a shock to me. It's just the fact I'll be in school while my friends are going into first and second year. Although I'm still 18 and there was 20 year olds in my class this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks :D I think I would do way better this year because I took up new subjects and ended up getting A1's in them and ignoring my existing (and most difficult) subjects like maths and english. Plus this year I only got into the routine of studying hard in the new year considering it was such a shock to me. It's just the fact I'll be in school while my friends are going into first and second year. Although I'm still 18 and there was 20 year olds in my class this year.

Is your guidance counsellor in school tomorrow? As I bet they would be able to better advise you and could probably tell you off hand the grades required for vet medicine in uk/abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 the peoples elbow

I sat the LC three times... It's... different...
    I got 415,515, 575... But it's weird. First of all, even now, after three years, I may not have even gotten my course - which is the worst feeling ever... I burst into tears while sending this text to a friend on results night: "I mean, all I've done with these past three years of my life is establish that I am terrible at state exams! :("...
    The year itself was long but it flew by, if that makes sense.. It's safe to say that after three LC's, I'm only left with two friends, if that haha.. I'm not going to lie, it took a lot of tears out of me - just random nights coming home on the bus from the library, and bursting into tears haha.. But on the plus side, in some of my classes, I felt like a genius, because obviously, after three years, things like Octane Numbers or the Passé Composé seem like childplay (I hope you're doing chem and french, or that wont really mean anything to you)..

I guess I'll have to wait till tomo after the offers come out to tell you whether or not it was worth the year... I've been a 6th year since I was 15, and I'm 18 now... And I have this major paranoia about how old and wrinkled I think I am (charming), because my "glory days" seem to be gone...

Also, it's been overwhelming (in a bad way) to see your old school friend's little brothers or sisters sitting the exam the same year as you.. I mean, these are kids who were in first year when you were in 3rd year, so that kind of got to me..

One last thing I should say is that each time you do your LC, you're basically starting back at square one.. Sure you know the content better, but after a long summer, how much do you remember.. I have to admit that I still learned some (very little, but some) new content this year..

I know, obviously you really want your course.. I admire that.. If the LC hadn't changed drastically for 2013 (wow, I only realised we're not in 2010 anymore), I would've considered repeating AGAIN if I don't get my course.. I hope I helped a bit in your decision making, cause it's really hard to forget how mentally straining the whole thing is as well, and that really needs to be taken into account..

I got 415,515, 575... But it's weird. First of all, even now, after three years, I may not have even gotten my course - which is the worst feeling ever... I burst into tears while sending this text to a friend on results night: "I mean, all I've done with these past three years of my life is establish that I am terrible at state exams! :("...
    The year itself was long but it flew by, if that makes sense.. It's safe to say that after three LC's, I'm only left with two friends, if that haha.. I'm not going to lie, it took a lot of tears out of me - just random nights coming home on the bus from the library, and bursting into tears haha.. But on the plus side, in some of my classes, I felt like a genius, because obviously, after three years, things like Octane Numbers or the Passé Composé seem like childplay (I hope you're doing chem and french, or that wont really mean anything to you)..

I guess I'll have to wait till tomo after the offers come out to tell you whether or not it was worth the year... I've been a 6th year since I was 15, and I'm 18 now... And I have this major paranoia about how old and wrinkled I think I am (charming), because my "glory days" seem to be gone...

Also, it's been overwhelming (in a bad way) to see your old school friend's little brothers or sisters sitting the exam the same year as you.. I mean, these are kids who were in first year when you were in 3rd year, so that kind of got to me..

One last thing I should say is that each time you do your LC, you're basically starting back at square one.. Sure you know the content better, but after a long summer, how much do you remember.. I have to admit that I still learned some (very little, but some) new content this year..

I know, obviously you really want your course.. I admire that.. If the LC hadn't changed drastically for 2013 (wow, I only realised we're not in 2010 anymore), I would've considered repeating AGAIN if I don't get my course.. I hope I helped a bit in your decision making, cause it's really hard to forget how mentally straining the whole thing is as well, and that really needs to be taken into account..

Well in my old school I did nothing, I was told I was so laid back I was lying down. Then I went to another school and told myself to cop on and studied, it was kinda like doing the exams for the first time. I went up 160 points just to kinda prove it to myself that my braincells actually work! This past year has been really good, I've matured and I'm coming to the point where I'll give it one last go and do my best!

You're only 18 and you repeated 3 times? :eek: that's grand, 18/19 is the average age for people going into first year. For normal repeats it would be 19/20.

I do feel sorry for you having to do it three times though. Whatever people say it's really a horrible draining aul slog of a year.

Best of luck to you, hope you get your course! I'm sure you'll easily make loads of friends in college, it's a time when everyone is making new friendships :)

• Advertisement

Well in my old school I did nothing, I was told I was so laid back I was lying down. Then I went to another school and told myself to cop on and studied, it was kinda like doing the exams for the first time. I went up 160 points just to kinda prove it to myself that my braincells actually work! This past year has been really good, I've matured and I'm coming to the point where I'll give it one last go and do my best!

Yeah well that's the same as my "shtory" haha.. And yeah, after working hard the second time, the third time became a bit... meh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Just do the course closest to vetmed, complete that and then you'll eventually get to do vetmed. Dont waste another year on the leaving cert because it doesnt matter at all in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

That's one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard. There is more than one way to get into college. The leaving cert is just one way. Why not do a PLC that will lead into your desired course? I didn't get the points I want for my course either but I'm planning to do a PLC which will lead into what I want to do next year.

Erra if the year flies by like last year it'll be over in no time! I know that there will be times that I'll want to go into hibernation but sure I'm used to doing things the ****ty, awkward way. Plus I found learning stuff fairly interesting and I'll be able to conquer maths for the final time. And with chem I'll be able to understand more of the stuff Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory says if you ever watch it :P

That's one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard. There is more than one way to get into college. The leaving cert is just one way. Why not do a PLC that will lead into your desired course? I didn't get the points I want for my course either but I'm planning to do a PLC which will lead into what I want to do next year.
    Well the vetmed course is 5 years in UCD, and I've never heard of people doing a plc to get into veterinary D: And even if I was gonna do another degree like animal science, it would take 8 years and a lot of money. Money that I don't want to take off my parents!

Well the vetmed course is 5 years in UCD, and I've never heard of people doing a plc to get into veterinary D: And even if I was gonna do another degree like animal science, it would take 8 years and a lot of money. Money that I don't want to take off my parents!

There's always the possibility of a bank loan if you really have your mind set on it. Or maybe you could work for a few years, save up and then return to do it in your later twenties. Happens all the time I'm sure, especially for courses like medicine. Just an option to consider.

Erra if the year flies by like last year it'll be over in no time! I know that there will be times that I'll want to go into hibernation but sure I'm used to doing things the ****ty, awkward way. Plus I found learning stuff fairly interesting and I'll be able to conquer maths for the final time. And with chem I'll be able to understand more of the stuff Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory says if you ever watch it :P

I just... I remember saying all year last year - "I wouldn't wish this for anyone"... Time didn't exactly fly by for me this year.. It was the most horrible thing in my life (that being said, life before 6th year (ah, 2009) was pretty smooth sailing for me).. And then when the exams came, I managed to stay calm for most of it... but the night before irish paper 2 and biology, I had a major panic attack and suddenly I didn't remember ANY biology.. I'm not even lying, I was looking through the marking scheme and nothing looked familiar anymore.. My point being, **** happens... Thank God, I still got the A in biology or I'd hate myself, but ugh, that was the worst night of my life..
    There's just so much to consider and be physically and mentally prepared for before you're sure that you want to repeat again... Don't just jump into it like I did last year.. I missed my course by like 10 points last year, but I decided to repeat without even applying for rechecks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Do an animal care plc. plc colleges are usually linked to other Institutes of technology and if you get a merit in the plc you could qualify to do a level 8 vetmed in an institute of technology. To me, this seems like an easier route.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Do an animal care plc. plc colleges are usually linked to other Institutes of technology and if you get a merit in the plc you could qualify to do a level 8 vetmed in an institute of technology. To me, this seems like an easier route.
    Unfortunately there's no way into it this easy!
    O.P, It sounds like you pretty much have your mind made up on this one, Im in the exact same position, See in DN300 this time next year ;)

I just... I remember saying all year last year - "I wouldn't wish this for anyone"... Time didn't exactly fly by for me this year.. It was the most horrible thing in my life (that being said, life before 6th year (ah, 2009) was pretty smooth sailing for me).. And then when the exams came, I managed to stay calm for most of it... but the night before irish paper 2 and biology, I had a major panic attack and suddenly I didn't remember ANY biology.. I'm not even lying, I was looking through the marking scheme and nothing looked familiar anymore.. My point being, **** happens... Thank God, I still got the A in biology or I'd hate myself, but ugh, that was the worst night of my life..
    There's just so much to consider and be physically and mentally prepared for before you're sure that you want to repeat again... Don't just jump into it like I did last year.. I missed my course by like 10 points last year, but I decided to repeat without even applying for rechecks..
    Yeah I'm getting business and economics rechecked cause I got A2's in both and I thought I got the A1. Bio was my fav subject and I only got a B1, which nearly made me cry. So maybe after I get them rechecked I might go up and then get offered in the 2nd round or something. Very unlikely but sure how bad. Yeah there were people in my year who had worked so hard before they repeated and hated it so bad and they would give anything not be in school. This will probs be my year!

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm getting business and economics rechecked cause I got A2's in both and I thought I got the A1. Bio was my fav subject and I only got a B1, which nearly made me cry. So maybe after I get them rechecked I might go up and then get offered in the 2nd round or something. Very unlikely but sure how bad. Yeah there were people in my year who had worked so hard before they repeated and hated it so bad and they would give anything not be in school. This will probs be my year!

Well good luck then! Let me be the first of the 100's of people who'll say "Third time lucky" and give you the 'wink and the gun' throughout the year ;)

Well good luck then! Let me be the first of the 100's of people who'll say "Third time lucky" and give you the 'wink and the gun' throughout the year ;)
    Thanks very much! Good luck to you too :)

pajero12 wrote: »
    Unfortunately there's no way into it this easy!
    O.P, It sounds like you pretty much have your mind made up on this one, Im in the exact same position, See in DN300 this time next year ;)
    Woooo!! Oh yes deffo. Let's hope it'll fly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

There is only one vet med course on the island of Ireland - UCD. There is no PLC way into it. You either get in on the LC or you do a degree and apply for mature entry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Are you going to repeat internally or externally Blinkey? Probably better off doing externally than wasting 7 hours a day in school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How does your school keep getting the capitation for you, or do you pay them something to go there?

areyawell wrote: »
    Are you going to repeat internally or externally Blinkey? Probably better off doing externally than wasting 7 hours a day in school.
    I'll repeat at my last school. There's no way I'd be able to repeat on my own. I've the attention span of a turnip.

spurious wrote: »
    How does your school keep getting the capitation for you, or do you pay them something to go there?
    I went to a public school for my first LC and did fairly bad for someone who wants to do vetmed. Plus all my friends were there and I get easily distracted :\ Then this year I went to a private secondary and it totally changed me and I went up 160 points. I'm not as depressed as I thought I would be going back considering all my friends are going to college. I'm oddly looking forward to being a total swot/hermit. I should have gone to my new school in 5th year but sure never late than never :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Best of luck Blinky, I hope you get it this time and believe me, when you get to the vet college you will be FAR from having repeated the most!

• Advertisement
Advertisement