Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox switching itself off?

Options
  • 19-08-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

When my son switches on his xbox it switches itself off immediately. I've tried googling for a solution but the only things I've seen say to delete corrupt files etc. As it switches itself off immediately it's impossible to try this out. It's been doing this for the last couple of weeks.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If you want to see if it is corrupt files causing this, which I doubt it is tbh, remove the HDD and try turning it on. If it turns on, then it is clearly an issue with the HDD, which will be impossible to troubleshoot as the Xbox won't turn on. This will require a replacement.

It could be an overheating issue or an issue with the power supply. What colour is the light on the power supply? It should be orange when it is plugged in and the Xbox is off, then turn to green when the Xbox is turned on.

If it's red or remains orange, plug it out and then plug it in to a different wall outlet, to rule out the wall outlet as possibly being faulty. If that doesn't resolve, then it may need a repair.

Final thing to check is to make sure it's not overheating. Is the Xbox stuffed into some cabinet or covered with a load of stuff, as is normal in a teenager's room? If the fans and vents have adequate breathing room and it still switches off after completing all of the troubleshooting below, then the Xbox will need a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Are the lights staying green at the front of flashing red?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thanks, I will repeat all that to him. :)

Sorry, didn't see you your post, tiny.

When he switches it on the light goes green and then switches off within seconds. There is no red at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

Your PSU is burnt out... Happening to me at the moment!

Bought a replacement on Amazon, arrived today and doesnt work!!!

Moral of the story: BUY FROM MICROSOFT

• Advertisement

Any update on this?

I'm still negotiating with his elder brother to borrow the cable for the couple of minutes it will take to check it out. :rolleyes: Hopefully will have done it by this afternoon and I'll let you know.

Give him a clip round the ear and tell him you'll put his internet search history up on Facebook if he doesn't hand the cable over.

We tried that and it still does the same thing.

If you tried everything that was suggested in this thread then it needs a repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Sounds like it might be shorting out somewhere,
    Or a capacitor or mosfet might be shot somewhere.

Honestly I'd say get a new one unless because your lucky and its something obvious trying to find the source of this type of problem is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

Any chance of you putting a video of it on youtube so we know for sure what were dealing with ?

I'll get him to sort out a video and post it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Are any of the USB ports damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

when my power brick went belly up this is exactly what my console done . but as you switched powerbricks and it's still doing it i'm stumped , iv'e had a quick search online and all i'm getting is power brick issues :confused:

Advertisement