Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Apartment - Water Leak Coming Through Ceiling From Upstairs

Options
  • 19-08-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hello all,

I am living in an apartment and over the last week there has been a steadily growing wet patch on our living room ceiling.

I have tried to contact the Management Company but still have not had a response - mobile number and e-mail are not working so I wrote them a letter.

Who is liable for any damage - the owner/tenant who has caused the leak, the Management Company or would I be better off taking care of it myslef once the leak has been repaired?

Thanks for any advice.

Andrew

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

If u rent ring your landlord first thing tomorrow...if you own then get yourself up there and speak to whoever lives there...the owner of above is responsible so yet in touch before you gave a file in tour ceiling

Why haven't you gone up sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

edellc wrote: »
    If u rent ring your landlord first thing tomorrow...if you own then get yourself up there and speak to whoever lives there...the owner of above is responsible so yet in touch before you gave a file in tour ceiling

Why haven't you gone up sooner

We are buying. Went up yesterday and spoke to the couple above us and it doesent look like its coming from there side. The management company was on to me today and they are going to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wicked_wytch

The owner upstairs is liable if its from something in their apartment, but if its building plumbing you will need to claim off the block policy through your management company.

we've had to do this a couple of years ago, turned out there was a leak in the building plumbing pipe linking all the apartments and water from a washing machine was leaking through the crack in the pipe and flooding apartments on the floors below. We claimed off the block policy. However it will be worth seeing if there are other leaks in the development as we had so many due to shoddy plumbing, eventually our policy excess went so high it wasn't worth claiming if it happened again after that, the excess went up to 10,000 and was only reduced to 2500 once we got an independant plumber to come in and provide a thorough assessment of the building to ensure there were no more building plumbing issues.

hope it works out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

Thanks for the feedback Wicked Wytch.

Advertisement