Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPSI Steam Failure sees NIR to the rescue!

Options
  • 19-08-2012 11:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭

The Railway Preservation Society Of Ireland held their first of three "Portrush Flyers". However, things didn't get of to a great start. In the early hours of the morning GSWR Loco.186 was declared a failure at their base in Whitehead. As a result, NIR were contacted in relation to using one of their 111 Class Locos. Bearing in mind that 111 & 113 were in Londonderry with the relay project, this meant that 112 would be the locomotive summonned

Photos from various locations of the excursion here :

http://tiny.cc/n36ajw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Didn't 461 fail today at Kilkenny also?Apparently the set had to be brought to Dublin by 082 and 461 is dumped in Newbridge tonight.A bad day for the RPSI all round.Horrible,horrible luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Chrisplayfair

That's correct...Not a great day...Not to mention 461 is due to run north on Tuesday for future Portrush Flyers, however I understand this has been cancelled as a result of today's problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

These things do happen, and whilst disappointing, they are not the end of the world. Nobody was left stranded, and as far as I am aware, the failure declared down south was precautionary and justified. As previously said, horrible horrible luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Drimnagh Road

461 was steaming badly on the way out, the Gullet was tackled okay, but it was while heading out through West Dublin that problems became apparent. Poor coal was blamed

A fifteen minute stop in Adamstown to investigate, then a long pathing stop in Sallins loop, low water pressure from the hydrant at Kildare, and another technical stop near Lavistown compounded the delay.

It was decided it would be best that 082 haul the train back, to avoid another 5+ hour journey home. 461 was hitching a ride back.

Threading carefully here, but it would appear that 461 was damaged while been hauled in train on the way back (082 hauling), and thus was taken off at Newbridge.

As an aside, 082 was bloody excellent and hellfire...

The vast majority of passengers were understanding and patient, the RPSI done their best throughout the day to deal with the problems as they happened, for example organising a new departure time from Kilkenny to ensure passengers got some time off the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

PORTRUSH FLYER

No.186's failure during lighting up at Whitehead on the morning of Sunday 19th August was discovered early enough to allow action to be taken.

NIR were contacted and a request made for one of their 111 GM locomotives. Luckily 112, the only available locomotive, was at York Road (111 and 113 are 'locked in' at Londonderry on the relay project). However, a significant shunt was required to extricate 112 from the depths of the yard before it could run light to Whitehead to pick up the carriages for the journey to Portrush.

Arriving in Portrush a few minutes ahead of schedule the locomotive ran round for the shuttle to Coleraine during the afternoon.

112 then worked the train back to Belfast Central, arriving one hour ahead of schedule. With a quick run round here, the train then ran back to Whitehead to drop the carriages off whilst 112 returned to York Road for stabling.

There were certainly some disappointed passengers on the fully-booked main train and, understandably, only 62 travelled on the "Portrush Coaster" to Coleraine, many choosing not to in the hope that steam would be there next Sunday.

Undaunted by the lack of steam, Mike Beckett has produced another fine video which will at least be appreciated by the diesel buffs. Warning: It does show a lot of dejected looking RPSI volunteers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2uwnX5CR6c&hd=1

The situation regarding No.186 is that a minor repair was being carried out last week but unfortunately we ran out of time to steam test the loco and only found out on Sunday that more work was necessary. It will be done this week together with testing and loco will hopefully be back in action by the weekend.

~~~~~

FESTIVAL EXPRESS

To compound the saga ...

The Festival Express was also operating on 19th August, from Dublin to Kilkenny.

Over 300 passengers boarded at Dublin Connolly. A punctual departure was achieved, and the journey was routine until beyond Inchicore when speed fell away, and it looked like there was a problem.

This proved to be all too correct and an extended stop was required at Adamstown to raise steam. The problem was not resolved, and a further extended stop was required at Sallins loop where fire cleaning was undertaken and clinker removed. The booked water stop was taken at Kildare, but departure from there was almost two hours late (also due to poor water pressure).

Further problems arose on the approach to Kilkenny. GM 082 was on hand anyway at Kilkenny to shunt the carriages and it was decided to use it to pilot No.461 back to Dublin, and the planned turning move on the triangle at Lavistown was abandoned. In view of the very late arrival at Kilkenny a later departure time was agreed and at 17:15 a diesel loco (GM 082), with No.461 and train, departed for Dublin.

However, during a stop at Newbridge No.461 was found to have developed excessive heat in a bearing, and there was no option but to remove her from the train. The locomotive was placed in the bay platform and the train proceeded to Dublin without further incident. Eventual arrival was after 20:00.

A big apology is due to our passengers who tolerated long delays, and a much too brief visit to Kilkenny. Their understanding and tolerance of the difficulties was greatly appreciated, and it is to be hoped that they will not be put off travelling in happier circumstances with us in the future.

No.461 is to be examined as soon as possible and a course of action decided upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Over 300 passengers boarded at Dublin Connolly. A punctual departure was achieved, and the journey was routine until beyond Inchicore when speed fell away

Ack, two failures in one day is really bad luck. :(

It wasn't our day either. I had 4 tickets for the Kilkenny train but a '10:30 departure' was stuck in my head and I didn't check the tickets until leaving the house... Arriving in a big rush in Connolly at 10:15 was a not-good experience and we couldn't get to Kilkenny easily by bus/train (and we didn't know about the delays) so no trips for us.
    Moral of the story - do what the RPSI instructions say - passengers should re-confirm the departure times on the tickets you receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There is a video of the service arriving Lavistwon North and departing Laivstown North with 082.

http://www.youtube.com/user/072Dunbell/videos

• Registered Users Posts: 5 croleeka

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    There is a video of the service arriving Lavistwon North and departing Laivstown North with 082.

http://www.youtube.com/user/072Dunbell/videos

Great link Jamie, thanks for sharing. A good close up view of the 071 and 461. The 461 wheels look to be going considerably fast, I wonder did that have any impact on the wheel bearings?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

croleeka wrote: »
    Great link Jamie, thanks for sharing. A good close up view of the 071 and 461. The 461 wheels look to be going considerably fast, I wonder did that have any impact on the wheel bearings?

If it was oiled up properly it should not. First time its done a bearing in the South though since its rebuild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭RonanM123

Thanks to the failure my train was delayed 55 minutes which made me miss my bus home so had to wait an extra 2 hours in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

No. 461 has provided a nice little break from monotony for Newbridge commuters these past two days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Some good video of the spin down to Kilkenny and the shunting operation. Some great sound out of 082 too.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DannyGrey

Heard a report that todays Portrush Flyer hauled by 186 had to be hauled back to Whitehead by a NIR loco , this isnt good news for the RPSI thats 2 locos failed now, do they have a 3 rd loco that is fit for service at present

That is most correct!

On Sunday 26th August 2012, The RPSI operated their second Portrush Flyer operating from Whitehead to Portrush & returning in the evening. The motive power for this trip was GSWR 186. The previous Sunday seen NIR's 112 haul the trip after 186 was declared a failure before departure. However, after departing Ballymena the locomotive began to suffer "steaming" problems causing it come to a stall near Cullybackey. After the dedicated crew worked at the locomotive, it was declared a failure and a crew were summoned to bring a rescue locomotive to the stricken train. By this stage it had turned 1400hrs despite leaving Belfast at 1115hrs and only 40 miles away!!!

NIR's GM 112 then ran light and pushed the train into Killagan Loop where two service trains passed. These were both delayed 120minutes as a result. 112 then hauled the entire train back to Whitehead via Belfast Central.

186 is due to work a charter train on the closed Antrim Branch on Weds 29th, however the status of this remains unconfirmed. It is most unlikely it will be steam hauled. Next week's Portrush Flyer's motive power awaits to be seen

Photos of the disaster online at :

http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Railtours/2012-Railtour-Photos/RPSI-Portrush-Flyer-19th/24857666_CDbm6G

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

186 is due to work a charter train on the closed Antrim Branch on Weds 29th, however the status of this remains unconfirmed. It is most unlikely it will be steam hauled. Next week's Portrush Flyer's motive power awaits to be seen

This places the RPSI in a nasty situation. The problem with continuing to use 112 for haulage/rescue is that 111 and 113 are trapped in Derry due to the ongoing refurbishment of the Derry line. This means that if 112 fails, NIR's only option would be to dispatch the spare 201 from York Road to rescue it. But I doubt that 201s are allowed beyond York Road?

I don't have much sympathy for them to be honest. If they weren't so diesel-phobic, they would have maintained 141 and 142 in serviceable condition for situations like these. It would mean that they could continue to run charters with their own locomotives, abet with vintage diesel power rather than a steam engine.

Hungerford wrote: »
    I don't have much sympathy for them to be honest. If they weren't so diesel-phobic, they would have maintained 141 and 142 in serviceable condition for situations like these. It would mean that they could continue to run charters with their own locomotives, abet with vintage diesel power rather than a steam engine.

The public want steam - end of. Its what makes the money, if there was a demand for more diesel tours this demand would be taken up and exploited to the max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

most of the public wouldn't know a steam loco from a tin of spam.

141/2 looked great when repainted and would be more acceptable in a rescue situation than 112.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I can assure you that the public know the difference between a steam engine and a diesel. They may know or care what steam engine it is they just know its a steam engine. When it comes to diesel they don’t care they just know its not a steam engine.

As I said here recently the RPSI is making progress with there diesels, things are just moving slowly.

I couldn't agree anymore! Why exactly did they preserve 141 & 142? These are mainline engines. It's a pity really...There is little interest in diesel engines where the RPSI is concerned. They really need to start thinking about other options rather than using a steam engine. NIR won't always be in a position to lend them a GM and considering they only have one at present, it limits them even more. This sole locomotive could be needed for a ballast train or to haul a failed Dublin set in. At present , York Road does not have a spare 201 so this leaves 112 being the only spare engine at the depot..

The RPSI claim that there isn't a great market for diesel tours. As said on IRN, they're last mystery tour to Galway only had 90 people on it! Why do mystery tours?? Pointless in my opinion. They claim that to run a diesel tour the joe public fill the most of it!

Rubbish!

How about doing an actual diesel railtour like the old ITG days or MRSI days where your leaving at the crack of done, getting engine changes and doing great loco hauled mileage! I never once recall any ITG/MRSI/IRRS tour having just 90 people on it after advertising interesting stuff with interesting routes & traction. I think it's came to a point where the RPSI have to look at things and say right if were going to survive for years ahead, we need to do these tours and bring in the money from the cranks. And for once, listen to diesel enthusiasts about where to go and what traction to use. It's them that has the money at the end of the day.

As for making progress with diesels, They've had 141 & 142 for 3 years now! 141 hasn't moved in over 2 years...As for 142, well I said it the minute it entered whitehead yard. take a good look at that now, because you won't see it on the mainline again! It's all possible. But the dedicated to get a diesel out isn't. Sad really....Railway "Preservation"....May aswell be a museum if this is their attitude to running the bo-bos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Would the main preservation groups ever consider or have they ever considered the following collective endeavour ? :-

RPSI - concentrate on steam.

ITG - concentrate on diesel.

RPSI + ITG or an associated group such as the IRHG - acquire 5miles of track located in the midlands or somewhere centrally.

And thus work towards a self-contained heritage railway package.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Would the main preservation groups ever consider or have they ever considered the following collective endeavour ? :-

RPSI + ITG or an associated group such as the IRHG - acquire 5miles of track located in the midlands or somewhere centrally.

Athlone mullingar would be perfect.

Ah sure resurrect the GSRPS while we are at it - sorted, they knew everything, they were always right, finances managed impeccably and run by a great bunch of lads

The RPSI claim that there isn't a great market for diesel tours. As said on IRN, they're last mystery tour to Galway only had 90 people on it! Why do mystery tours?? Pointless in my opinion. They claim that to run a diesel tour the joe public fill the most of it!

Rubbish!

How about doing an actual diesel railtour like the old ITG days or MRSI days where your leaving at the crack of done, getting engine changes and doing great loco hauled mileage! I never once recall any ITG/MRSI/IRRS tour having just 90 people on it after advertising interesting stuff with interesting routes & traction. I think it's came to a point where the RPSI have to look at things and say right if were going to survive for years ahead, we need to do these tours and bring in the money from the cranks. And for once, listen to diesel enthusiasts about where to go and what traction to use. It's them that has the money at the end of the day.

What you must remember is that in the heyday of the ITG tours, there were spare locos at almost every major junction and station, parked up at the weekends, along with a few rakes of Cravens knocking about. This coupled with cheap ferry deals and less restrictive pathing meant it was possible to tour the country. Also the english people wanted to cover every last inch of the ballybohon - ballygobackwards freight only line, and got very very annoyed when the 4 planned loco swops didnt happen, even in the middle of an IE power crisis (cast your mind back to 1995-8 when the 201's were having severe wheelset problems and every last 071 / bo-bo was needed).

Then the organsiers heads got slightly too big, and didnt only bite the hand that fed them, they yanked the holders arm clean off

I recall a railtour was to be run called 'The Blue Boy' recently, wonder what happened there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ah sure resurrect the GSRPS while we are at it - sorted, they knew everything, they were always right, finances managed impeccably and run by a great bunch of lads

Care to enlighten us as to the source of your knowledge? :rolleyes:

As much as Athlone-Mullingar sounds perfect, it will never happen....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ardee/Dromin Jn at just 4 miles would have been perfect. Great GNR terminus at Ardee too. http://www.geograph.ie/photo/2678277

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

As much as Athlone-Mullingar sounds perfect, it will never happen....

No I doubt it will. There isnt the tradition of voluteering here or the pool of enthusiasts to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Presumably if NIR had a crisis with 112 there are TPWSed 071s that could be sent north in the same way 111s have occasionally been seen in the south on Tara runs etc.?

No 071s have TPWS. If there is a major fault with 112, NIR are basically in the ****.....

The only times NIR loco (112) has appeared on the tara mines was the time it was on a load test after having work done at Inchicore. The other time was when it was on long term loan to IE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Didn't 071s do Enterprise runs back in the day though? Or was that pre-TPWS/operating under waiver?

Advertisement