Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPSI Steam Failure sees NIR to the rescue!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Hungerford wrote: »

And that situation is entirely down to the RPSI's obsession with steam. It has obtained diesel locomotives in the past and has allowed them to rot. One of the two NIR 101-class engines given to the society was even turned into razor blades.

Dont forget the state NIR allowed them to get into, 103 was stored for a long time outdoors at York Road and later Ballymena until it was cut up there in 1997 http://jandjcottrell.zenfolio.com/p435508671/h32bbffa8#h8fb5

Also 101 was stored in the outdoors at Adelaide Yard, so by the time it got to Whitehead it was in poor condition. 102 was worked on for a time at Whitehead, but the main person involved in the project suffered an unfortunate accident. It was only a 'pet project' anyway.

In railway preservation you must be a realist, not a dreamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Dont forget the state NIR allowed them to get into
    Look at the state the Gatwicks were allowed get into, and the Assembly being told they were part of the active fleet! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Many sources, most of which actually set out what they planned to achieve

Great post and thanks for confirming your identity. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DannyGrey

Not at all but at this stage voluntary groups all over the world are well used to your sort of talk. They should do this, that, not this, do it another way, rebuild, relay, renew, retrain etc etc. So with that in mind, are you offering your services to, as you see it, improve the RPSI?

Somehow I doubt it ;)

Losty

You always have a answer to most questions .Well tell me this people have a right to view their thoughts online if they want thats what forums are all about just imagine if the internet was around 30 years ago what views would be said about societies back then .

If people pay memberships per year to certain societies well i think they have every right to speak out .

Tell me this is there a fare reduction fo this Sundays Portrush Flyer as it will not be steam hauled my ticket was bought for steam

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Interesting to see how the RPSI have wiped their "booked" locomotive for future trips up until December trains.....

I would think they will want to give themselves every chance of having both 461 & 186 sorted out for the Santas both north and south. Diesel-hauled Santas 2 years running in Dublin would no doubt attract a lot of negative publicity which they can well do without. These are without doubt the most popular trains they run to the public eye. They have also taken off the Halloween trains and Mullingar and Sallins trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

My comments are constructive criticism centred on the fact that the society has suffered multiple failures and is now reliant on NIR/IE motive power but has the means within its disposal to have avoided such an unfortunate situation.

As is stands, do they have the means though? Who would maintain/upkeep/certify them?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Great post and thanks for confirming your identity. :p

No problem - I am Captain Freedom, heres a photo of me promoting my workout video on the ICS network in the near dystopian future

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRw0Vt68QvTev6nn4FdMGGKZx3JvfCWI6dQRdeZjIoGyIPloPN1&t=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

corktina wrote: »
    in view of the Mk2 stock used nowadays (which doesnt look too good ) 141 or 2 cut in behind the train loco wouldn't look too amiss and would guarantee they got home.

A valid point, all mainline steam running in the UK must have a diesel in tow now, would make sense to do similar here as above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That must be a killer for the steam fetishists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That must be a killer for the steam fetishists.

it's alright, they hide it down the back :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

461 was no longer in Newbridge tonight, I guess it was moved on yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

461 was no longer in Newbridge today, I guess it was moved on yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

gawker wrote: »
    461 was no longer in Newbridge tonight, I guess it was moved on yesterday.

461 was hauled by an 071 to Inchicore last night, arriving at about 03:15.

I wonder how much IE will charge for renting that bay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

corktina wrote: »
    in view of the Mk2 stock used nowadays (which doesnt look too good ) 141 or 2 cut in behind the train loco wouldn't look too amiss and would guarantee they got home.

===> more on IRN 'RPSI 2012 thread' ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Chrisplayfair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Does it make anyone else uneasy that the only go-anywhere loco in NI is not only rescuing stock but also running service from Whitehead? I'm sympathetic to the RPSI's plight but if 112 failed hauling that service and another service needed a 111 to rescue it, then what?

Also - way to not reinforce a stereotype lads.

I know, I know, I'll get me coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

dowlingm wrote: »
    Does it make anyone else uneasy that the only go-anywhere loco in NI is not only rescuing stock but also running service from Whitehead? I'm sympathetic to the RPSI's plight but if 112 failed hauling that service and another service needed a 111 to rescue it, then what?

I'm quite uneasy given that it's also the only locomotive available for permanent way use on the NIR network east of Coleraine at the moment. Plus if 112 goes pop, who's going to rescue it? NIR have nothing else at the moment which could go to Portrush and rescue it.

071's to the rescue!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

461 was hauled by an 071 to Inchicore last night, arriving at about 03:15.

Is 461 still in Inchicore and is there any update on her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Give them back 209 for the time being as a thunderbird loco. They can repaint it like 208 while it's sitting around York Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Give them back 209 for the time being as a thunderbird loco. They can repaint it like 208 while it's sitting around York Road.

You are Dick Fearn! 209 travelled up North yesterday. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You are Dick Fearn! 209 travelled up North yesterday. :eek:

I should have done the lotto numbers for tonight and all.:eek:

Long time since 209 was on NIR metals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Chrisplayfair

Incorrect.

209 ran light TODAY leaving Connolly at 1455hrs...First time north since Oct 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

sorry realise old thread, please delete :)

Advertisement