Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe in being born under bad stars?

• 19-08-2012 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I mean this phrase euphemistically as I don't want to start a debate about astrology.

What I'm alluding to is the millions of people who act in good faith yet are constantly dogged by bad luck or no luck and a general lack of success in all their endeavors, jobs and careers never work out for them, relationships never work out for them or even happen in the first place, they never come into money, or are socially successful.

Then there are others who seemingly cakewalk their way though academia, relationships and marriages, careers, kids, money, etc, etc.

In my particular case, I'm always aware that it's all relative and that one should always value their physical and mental health as well as the fact there's millions worse off than they are, eventhough when someone is in the midst of depression, such rationality isn't much use.

Are some people hexed and others blessed ? Think about the way Niall Quinn's life is and compare it with Paul Gascoigne's or someone like Ryan Tubridy compared to Amy Winehouse.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Yes. It's practically a proven science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I was born under a bad sign with a blue moon in my eyes.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

dd972 wrote: »
    Think about the way Niall Quinn's life is and compare it with Paul Gascoigne's or someone like Ryan Tubridy compared to Amy Winehouse.

Gascoigne is a drunk and Winehouse was a junkie.

You make your own luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's just luck. With so many people on the planet, by the law of averages, some people are going to happen to be dogged by bad luck, and some will be blessed with good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

'Mother, was I born under Uranus ?"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Sorry Bad Stairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

You make your own luck.

Perhaps I should have titled the thread, can you make your own luck ? I don't think you can tbh, if we were all making our own luck we'd all be millionaires, at least that's what late era capitalism tries to tell us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I am Murphys law. I am the clumsiest person you'll ever meet. Bad luck follows me around! I always fall down stairs, especially if Im carrying a hoover.

But its mostly down to me being a complete twat, nothing to do with any star bullsh*t

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Are some people hexed and others blessed ?

Yes - it revolves around luck.

Thread over - lets go the pub! :cool:
    (Ruddy salty popcorn is making me thirsty!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Perhaps I should have titled the thread, can you make your own luck ? I don't think you can tbh, if we were all making our own luck we'd all be millionaires, at least that's what late era capitalism tries to tell us.

The boring answer is: we can, but only to an extent. There are lots of things we can control, but bad things happen sometimes that we can't do anything about. and these things happen to some people more than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

or someone like Ryan Tubridy compared to Amy Winehouse.
    Wait, whose life is blessed/cursed here? I'd rather die a horrible death than spend a lifetime as Tubridy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

If i didn't have bad luck, i wouldn't have any luck at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I was born under a Wand'rin Star

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

And a drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

And a drunk.

Dead drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Wait, whose life is blessed/cursed here? I'd rather die a horrible death than spend a lifetime as Tubridy.

Doubt it. He was born into privilege and grew up to be handed the cushiest jobs many people would waste years of hard graft to try and earn. His girlfriend is one of the hottest girls in the country and he makes an obscene amount of money for very little work. He's as close to Irish royalty as you can get.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are some people hexed and others blessed ? Think about the way Niall Quinn's life is and compare it with Paul Gascoigne's or someone like Ryan Tubridy compared to Amy Winehouse.
    220,980 people born every day - that's 153 born every minute

Most people are born into what we would call poverty and for the vast majority it's inescapable

If you are unlucky enough to be born in Mauritania there is a good chance you will be born into what is effectively slavery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

I think that's a pretty interesting hypothesis OP but I'm inclined to think that most of our adult behaviour can be logically assessed using the 'nature/nurture' analogy.

That is, to some extent we are genetically pre-determined to behave in a certain way (nature) but our behaviour is also in direct response to the various environments we were exposed to when growing up (nurture) -either embracing or rebelling against our cultural norms.

I think the concept of 'luck' is often a defense mechanism people use to avoid taking responsibility. Of course there are some unfortunate instances where people suffer ill health and sometimes refer to it as 'bad luck' but again, most ill health issues can largely be explained using the 'Nature/Nurture' concept, as opposed to some vague notion of luck.

However, with regard to Amy Winehouse, I think it's a little lazy to blame Ladyluck when anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that people like her are largely architects of their own misfortune.

TL/DR: Confucius say man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

You make your own luck.

Sometimes you're born with the chances to make better luck for yourself.

Its a lot easier to make your own luck if you're born into a caring family who values confidence and security and encourages education, than if you're born into a family or circumstances that sees neglect, drug use and state dependence as the norm.

Not that everybody who succeeds/fails falls into those categories, but a large majority do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Born under the star of David means you lose a bit of your pecker. . .

Advertisement