Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we becoming too p.c. ?

• 20-08-2012 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

I am becoming sick to my back teeth of being corrected by my 4 yr old son for saying something is stupid or god forgive i say the word hate!!!!

Now this pc ****e is drilled into him in the creche and no doubt will be continued during school in September.

I honestly thinks he needs to know that there are ****in stupid people out or people that will do stupid things and he will hate them for it !!!!!! It is ****in inevitable

How long is he meant to go around in this airy fairy bubble of pc madness!!!!!!

Actually i'm going to go wake little racso and tell him some home truths!!!

In the meantime you guys post examples of pc madness or let me know if we have not gone far enough on the pc front

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I thought the outcry over Judge Mary Devins' comments about Polish people was OTT, when in reality it was nothing more than a storm in a teacup. I thought the threat of her being reported to the guards by "The Integration Centre" for incitement to hatred was ridiculous. I think we're starting to turn into the UK.

I also think we're becoming to lax with our homophones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

racso1975 wrote: »
    In the meantime you guys post examples of pc madness or let me know if we have not gone far enough on the pc front
    Infractions for anytime "PC brigade" is used in an argument would be nice tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Motorist wrote: »
    I thought the outcry over Judge Mary Devins' comments about Polish people was OTT, and nothing more than a storm in a teacup. I thought the threat of her being reported to the guards for incitement to hatred was ridiculous.

I think we're starting to turn into the UK.

That's different. She was a judge. She has to be the definition of neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I prefer Mac over PC anyday!!

Bring it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

frag420 wrote: »
    I prefer Mac over PC anyday!!

Bring it!

With Thr rain we've had, you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

*TOO p.c.!

/justsayin :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I had a PC but it broke, now I've a laptop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Are we becoming too P.C? Lad, we're gone waaaaaaaaayyyy beyond that. Those people who are always pushing for PC should visit a few other countries. They'd get an eye-opener.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

With Thr rain we've had, you're right.

MAC makeup makes even the most horrible mingers look good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

I am becoming sick to my back teeth of being corrected by my 4 yr old son for saying something is stupid or god forgive i say the word hate!!!!

Now this pc ****e is drilled into him in the creche and no doubt will be continued during school in September.

I honestly thinks he needs to know that there are ****in stupid people out or people that will do stupid things and he will hate them for it !!!!!! It is ****in inevitable

How long is he meant to go around in this airy fairy bubble of pc madness!!!!!!

Actually i'm going to go wake little racso and tell him some home truths!!!

Are you going to wake your 4 year old to tell them they're too politically correct?

Have you been drinking perchance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

how is this political correctness?

and no I don't see anything wrong with being PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I'm a Mac and always will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

gara wrote: »
    *TOO p.c.!

/justsayin :cool:

Thats what i have

/specsavers :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If you're continuously going around saying you hate stuff and stuff is "stupid" and your kid is correcting you on it, you gotta ask yourself - is it the PC brigade gone mad, or is it that you are acting a bit childish yourself?

wprathead wrote: »
    how is this political correctness?

and no I don't see anything wrong with being PC

The pc part is the fact he believes nothing or nobody can be stupid or people cant hate something!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

The pc part is the fact he believes nothing or nobody can be stupid or people cant hate something!!!!!!

Can't see the connection between what you just said and political correctness.

If you're continuously going around saying you hate stuff and stuff is "stupid" and your kid is correcting you on it, you gotta ask yourself - is it the PC brigade gone mad, or is it that you are acting a bit childish yourself?

ah come on now you know what i mean. we watch a match together and some lad does something stupid and i say it as it is. Or he hears a conversation where i say i hate when that happens.

it's not like i'm calling him stupid or his buddies. Or tellin him i hate people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have a brother who is severely mentally and physically handicapped. When he was born ('86), the accepted term was "handicapped" and that's the word I and my family always use to describe him.

However, I have been challenged many times by people on it. I have been told that it is offensive and been told to use alternatives, like disabled, special needs, physically and mentally challenged.

Really, I can't see any difference between all these.

I have a brother who is severely mentally and physically handicapped. When he was born ('86), the accepted term was "handicapped" and that's the word I and my family always use to describe him.

However, I have been challenged many times by people on it. I have been told that it is offensive and been told to use alternatives, like disabled, special needs, physically and mentally challenged.

There's certainly very little difference between the words 'handicapped' and 'disabled'. In fact, they are almost interchangable in most uses of the words.

The fact that someone decided along the line that one was 'less offensive' than the other makes no real sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

Why is bad to say someone is black? If you're black you're black, and if you're white you're white. By making it un PC to say someone is black is like saying being black is bad.

I lived in South Africa for a while and they use the term black officially. Even "Colored" is ok to say for people of mixed race. Yet in the states you have to say "African American" and here it's "African". FFS

imo what you said there isn't to bad really
    if he was to be refered to as "mentally and physically handicapped person" though I would challenge person on it however.. A person shouldn't be defined by their disability:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Somebody gave out to me last night for calling a woman a broad. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

I'm a secondary school teacher and am no longer allowed to use the phrase "you should know how to ......" My principal is afraid I will hurt the feelings of the 18 year old young men in our all boys school by using the phrase "you should know you need to use full stops".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Its getting ridiculous, remember the furore over Michael Martin putting on a Chinese accent when talking about computers. How in Gods name was that offensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Yup, without a doubt.

It's insane what goes on now.

Every kid gets a medal no matter what event they go to.:confused:

Is there any reward for actual achievement anymore?

Shure, as the Knackers say 'we're entitled'

Bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Why is bad to say someone is black? If you're black you're black, and if you're white you're white. By making it un PC to say someone is black is like saying being black is bad.

I lived in South Africa for a while and they use the term black officially. Even "Colored" is ok to say for people of mixed race. Yet in the states you have to say "African American" and here it's "African". FFS

dunno how pleased those of West Indian descent would be to be called 'African' tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RedRightHand

There was a time when itinerants were proud to be called tinkers. Now they must be called travellers. I could never figure out who decides these things. It can get confusing like in America you can refer to 'people of colour' but not 'coloured people'. :confused:

imo what you said there isn't to bad really
    if he was to be refered to as "mentally and physically handicapped person" though I would challenge person on it however.. A person shouldn't be defined by their disability:)

If you refer to someone as a "mentally and physically handicapped person", you are necessarily defining them. It's a descriptive term more than anything else.

• Advertisement

There's certainly very little difference between the words 'handicapped' and 'disabled'. In fact, they are almost interchangable in most uses of the words.

The fact that someone decided along the line that one was 'less offensive' than the other makes no real sense.

again see my other post
    [*]Person HAS disability
    [*]Person WITH a physical handicap
    both them ok

However "Handicapped person" or "disabled person" isn't cool
    Person centred language ftw

again see my other post
    [*]Person HAS disability
    [*]Person WITH a physical handicap
    both them ok

However "Handicapped person" or "disabled person" isn't cool
    Person centred language ftw

Person centred language, or just anal?

ftw

differently abled wasn't that one of the new terms :rolleyes:

Alan Hansen got into trouble for using the word coloured. He probably could have used a different term but he would have got less outrage if he had thrown an old lady down a flight of stairs.

There was a time when itinerants were proud to be called tinkers. Now they must be called travellers. I could never figure out who decides these things. It can get confusing like in America you can refer to 'people of colour' but not 'coloured people'. :confused:

Yes and their traditional trade of slaughtering knackered horses. The 'Knacker's Yard', hence the term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Friend of mine was singing "Baa baa black sheep" to her child but instead of saying "black sheep", she was saying "baa baa lovely sheep".
    I asked her why and she said "Oh they don't like putting the word "black" into the song at my child's school-it's seen as non PC".
    My jaw hit the floor.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Friend of mine was singing "Baa baa black sheep" to her child but instead of saying "black sheep", she was saying "baa baa lovely sheep".
    I asked her why and she said "Oh they don't like putting the word "black" into the song at my child's school-it's seen as non PC".
    My jaw hit the floor.

Well that is just ****ing dumb
    **** like that would piss me off alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

woodoo wrote: »
    differently abled wasn't that one of the new terms :rolleyes:

Alan Hansen got into trouble for using the word coloured. He probably could have used a different term but he would have got less outrage if he had thrown an old lady down a flight of stairs.

i doubt that.

My jaw hit the floor.

That's ridiculous. The song is about taxes on wool... someone decided a few years ago in the States that it had something to do with slavery, but that was proven to be a crock.

efb wrote: »
    i doubt that.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

handicapped

disabled

differently abled

Phew, third time lucky

Did any of you catch a nígger by the toe when you were a young un?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think 'handicapped' is fine. I think sometimes it's as much about what one person hears as it is about what the other person says. 'Handicapped' can have a positive connotation, 'working through a challenging adversity' and that kind of thing. 'Differently abled' is just an insulting, patronising twist of language imo.

If you have a negative view to begin with then you might need to have the descriptive words sugarcoated and pc'd up for your delicate ears. If you don't start from the presumption of a negative connotation then the word's probably don't need to be changed. What grates me about the overall issue is when people/groups have the arrogance to appoint themselves to be the 'language czars' on behalf of everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

But sir... you are blik

My jaw hit the floor.

My heart does skip a beat every time i hear him say "inny meeney miney mo catch a............"

Thank god he does not say what we did as a child

anal

ftw

agreed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

mikemac1 wrote: »
    handicapped

disabled

differently abled

Phew, third time lucky

Did any of you catch a nígger by the toe when you were a young un?

No :eek:

They're too damn fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Enid Blyton may have sold 600 million books but her editors know better, the books are edited these days

The language she used just won't do

I read her as a child, clearly turned me into a flamin racist :p

Catchy tune :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    dunno how pleased those of West Indian descent would be to be called 'African' tbh.

Probably the same as white africans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

If it wasn't for P.C we'd probably still have these in Smyths.

If it wasn't for P.C we'd probably still have these in Smyths.

Where was it said that there was no need for P.C. what i asked was had it gone too far.

Probably the same as white africans :rolleyes:

Namibia seems to be the last bastion of white Africa. The scales have shifted in SA, Mandela played his cards right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I wouldn't see much difference between handicapped and disabled really. They're both negative descriptors. Wouldn't it be fairer and more respectful not to define people by what they can't do but rather by what they actually are-a person with special needs, or with mental or physical challenges? not saying you're being disrespectful to your brother, he may not care what the people who love him refer to him as, as long as it's not a term of abuse, just that perhaps you haven't thought of it that way.

Imagine if you were someone with a physical or mental challenge, wouldn't you prefer if people didn't categorise you as handicapped or disabled for the rest of your life and define you as such? I think I would. Those terms seem to me to disregard or count as nought all the positive talents and capabilities that people like that still retain.
    At the end of the day though I think it comes down to what the person with the 'disability' feel themselves and what terms they prefer used and what they find offensive or not (as they're not a homogeneous group and views no doubt differ about what is thought of as acceptable terminology within that community); and finding that out is as simple as just politely asking them if you're unsure.

To me that's not being PC, it's just being polite and considerate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement