Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we becoming too p.c. ?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Names too, it gives us too much individuality. We need to start using serial numbers

Bags Number One!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

megafan wrote: »
    Bags Number One!!

We'd all have to be number one or there would be prejudice and number-riots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Motorist wrote: »
    I think we should ban the word black as it's offensive to the African ethnicity.

But that's what colour people are. Just like how I'm white or an Asian person from somewhere like India has brown skin.

Do we apply the same standard and remove the word ginger that's used to describe someone's hair colour? If a simple word like black, brown, white, etc used to describe someone bothers a person then it's their problem that they concentrate on the wrong context of it.

It's the thinking and the certain context that people use that there's something inherently wrong with you because of your skin colour is what needs to be fixed, not the word of your skin colour.

I see this all the time, making out that saying a word will paint you as some knuckle dragging, mouth-breathing, hate-filled mongerer. I'm not talking about words used in a hateful context like nìgger or chink (though can't really see any good context for chink :pac:), but completely bypassing the context it's used in and just focus on the idea that "it's a naughty word".

"Sup ma' nìgga'" to your mate is not racist.

"Sup, nìgger!" to a black person, in a derogatory sense, is.

Calling your friend a retard for doing something stupid is deemed offensive to mentally disabled people.

"You never go full retard" from Tropic Thunder is deemed as a funny quote and is frequently used :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Duggy747 wrote: »
    But that's what colour people are. Just like how I'm white or an Asian person from somewhere like India has brown skin.

Do we apply the same standard and remove the word ginger that's used to describe someone's hair colour? If a simple word like black, brown, white, etc used to describe someone bothers a person then it's their problem that they concentrate on the wrong context of it.

It's the thinking and the certain context that people use that there's something inherently wrong with you because of your skin colour is what needs to be fixed, not the word of your skin colour.

I see this all the time, making out that saying a word will paint you as some knuckle dragging, mouth-breathing, hate-filled mongerer. I'm not talking about words used in a hateful context like nìgger or chink (though can't really see any good context for chink :pac:), but completely bypassing the context it's used in and just focus on the idea that "it's a naughty word".

"Sup ma' nìgga'" to your mate is not racist.

"Sup, nìgger!" to a black person, in a derogatory sense, is.

Calling your friend a retard for doing something stupid is deemed offensive to mentally disabled people.

"You never go full retard" from Tropic Thunder is deemed as a funny quote and is frequently used :confused:

Damn, now I understand Poe's Law.

RIP Tony Scott.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_svnsF5OLbI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

There's certainly very little difference between the words 'handicapped' and 'disabled'. In fact, they are almost interchangable in most uses of the words.
    Big difference.

Stuck a few quid on a well "handicapped" horse yesterday. Should have won.......only for the "disabled" jockey on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think the problem with "PC" (over sensitivity as opposed to society not being happy when you scream racist slurs at people) is that it takes the decision on what people's words mean away from them and others in that conversation and makes definitive judgments on their meaning at a societal level, leaving no room for the subtlety of human communication.

No word should be considered "bad". It should be about context and the nuances of social discourse. It should be a judgement between the people in the conversation - not a prejudgment that takes place in "society" before you have the conversation.

Huck Finn isn't some racist diatribe because it has "Nigger Jim" in it and how we now consider that word should have no bearing on it. The words used should be no more relevant than the letters used. The actual meaning is what is important.
    The problem is one of people tripping over themselves to get offended by things and that just takes away from the real problems we face with bigotry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Rochdale in England........................

Police and social workers were last night accused of failing to investigate an Asian paedophile gang for fear of being perceived as racist, allowing them to prey on up to 50 young white girls......................................................

PC gone dangerous:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Boombastic wrote: »
    Rochdale in England........................

Police and social workers were last night accused of failing to investigate an Asian paedophile gang for fear of being perceived as racist, allowing them to prey on up to 50 young white girls......................................................

PC gone dangerous:(

Wow, just.....wow

I hope the PC brigade is happy :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Wow, just.....wow

Of course they are! It's stopping that disgusting thing known as "racism" isn't it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

woodoo wrote: »
    differently abled wasn't that one of the new terms :rolleyes:.

I have always thought that differently abled sounded ridiculous. Like they have wings..:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Let's not forget the joke of an edit that was of The Pogues Fairytale of New York:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7149525.stm
    BBC wrote:
    BBC Radio 1 has said it will stand by its ban on the word "fàggot" from the Pogues' 1987 Christmas hit Fairytale of New York to avoid offence.
    The word, sung by the late Kirsty MacColl as she trades insults with Shane MacGowan, has been dubbed out.

But MacColl's mother, Jean, called the ban "too ridiculous", while the Pogues said they found it "amusing".

The BBC said: "We are playing an edited version because some members of the audience might find it offensive."

Now THAT was pulling the piss of misunderstanding context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Wow, just.....wow

Well they are fictional constructs that live in your head, surely you should know for definite if they're happy or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

PC?

Arguing some of this crap just validates it.

Just ignore it & find something more important to drive you crazy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'd love to be a part of the PC Brigade. We could wear non-gender specific uniforms like sarongs and cords and we could have our own PC truck with a hose that dowses logic and reason over the raging flames of racism and bigotry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Duggy747 wrote: »

Funny quote? No, not really. http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-08-12-tropic-protests_N.htm - Here's why;

Well they are fictional constructs that live in your head, surely you should know for definite if they're happy or not?

Checking.....checking......brain not found

Abort, Retry, Fail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Abort, Retry, Fail?

Try turning it off and on again:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Never have I heard of anyone being offended by the word "black" to describe their skin colour. A myth I'd bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Wow, just.....wow

One 13 year-old victim became pregnant and had the child aborted while another was forced to have sex with 20 men in one night, Liverpool Crown Court heard.

Complaints to social workers and the police were ignored because they were "petrified of being called racist", former Labour MP for Keighley Ann Cryer said.

"This is an absolute scandal. They were petrified of being called racist and so reverted to the default of political correctness," she said.
    "They had a greater fear of being perceived in that light than in dealing with the issues in front of them."
    Girl A told police that she had been raped and provided DNA evidence from her attacker, however the CPS twice decided not to prosecute him.

DNA fcuking evidence?? That sounds like a bunch of cops who fúcked up in a big way trying to get off the hook rather than them having legitimate fears of being branded racist.

Anyone have some examples where police investigating paedophiles have been branded racist in the past?

Also the article mentions that the police are now under investigation on this matter so it's not surprising an excuse (a shít one, but an excuse none the less) has been put forward.

Telegraph going on about how the police are afraid to touch Asians in Britain. Asians with names like: Kabeer Hassan, Abdul Aziz, Abdul Rauf, Mohammed Sajid, Adil Khan, Abdul Qayyum, Mohammed Amin, Hamid Safi.

Surprise surprise.
    Madam_X wrote: »
    Never have I heard of anyone being offended by the word "black" to describe their skin colour. A myth I'd bet.

Lots black people I have met in Ireland have referred to themselves as black.

Abort, Retry, Fail?

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made my reply that complex. I'll try to refrain from taxing you too much in the future.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made my reply that complex. I'll try to refrain from taxing you too much in the future.

Thank you sir, my circuits cannot handle your level of logic

Thank you sir, my circuits cannot handle your level of logic

Evidently.

Advertisement