Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Why can't Kenny say that I'm public, its 100% correct. As previously posted Rodgers is the master at selling himself, even if that involves embellishing the truth somewhat.

Its good to get that opinion from Kenny. Maybe a bit of sour grapes behind it, but if Rodgers is gonna state something like that, its only right that he's called out on it.

It certainly doesn't change my opinion of him. A Liverpool legend, who spent 35m on Andy Carroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

daithijjj wrote: »
    Maybe not but its 100% correct.

No maybe about it. When your time at a club is done you do not comment on one's successor, even obliquely (or not so obliquely in this case)

Why does Dalglish have a column in the Mirror anyway, seems to go against his attitude towards media and he doesn't need the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Kess73 wrote: »
    What problem are you talking about? I said earlier that it must be a sign of Kenny's frustration that he said what he said in public, and that I thought he should have said the same thing but in private to Rodgers. Don't really see anything amiss in saying that.

If Rodgers did use his comment as a dig at Kenny, I would still expect Kenny to say nowt in public and let his feelings be known behind closed doors. The Liverpool way is something that people like to throw around in comments, well I ask you which of the two men would you think, and hope, would show more of the Liverpool way? My money would always be on Kenny which is why it is a little disappointing to see him air stuff like that in public, even if he is justified imo to be p1ssed at what Rodgers said, given that as late as towards the end of last season Kenny himself was fond of mentioning how things should be kept inhouse and behind closed doors.

Also if Rodgers was having a dig at Kenny with what Rodgers said, then was Sterling also having a dig at Kenny when he said about how the training was much better under Rodgers duriong the US tour?

In short, I think Kenny is right in what he said, I just think it would have been better said behind closed doors.

Most players say that training is much better under a new regime, whats the alternative they should say? RS although a great talent should be saying less and focusing more on staying in the team.

KD is not employed by the club anymore and he voiced a opinion and a truthful one, dont see why he should be doing it behind closed doors, the liverpool way ended in 2007!

BR should focus on now and the future and not at the past events of LFC, he has a lot of work to do and thats where his focus should be.

Paully D wrote: »
    They should just call the show The Office and get Ricky Gervais to play Brendan Rodgers.

Any exclusives about Rodgers?

If it's as good as the Henderson one we are in for a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

mike65 wrote: »
    No maybe about it. When your time at a club is done you do not comment on one's successor, even obliquely (or not so obliquely in this case)

Why does Dalglish have a column in the Mirror anyway, seems to go against his attitude towards media and he doesn't need the money.

I have no problem with what KK said, when i heard Rodgers talking about Sterling i had a feeling he was getting too used to the TV cameras being around him in the documentary.

KK is not at the club anymore. Why shouldnt he air his opinions any way he wants?. Maybe the wife asked him to take a job, maybe she's sick of him around the house again, who gives a fk really.

Well the club have not been shy in making insinuations about KD and how he failed at his job and signings in the press, why should KD show them respect when they lack repect for him?

He has a column because people are interested in his views, the whole KD hates the media is a myth, just because he didnt bend over for them doesnt mean he hates them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

for fear of getting my head bit off by either faction here:eek:
    what did KD and BR say about each other , is there a link .?cheers lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

cjmc wrote: »
    for fear of getting my head bit off by either faction here:eek:
    what did KD and BR say about each other , is there a link .?cheers lads

To paraphrase somewhat

BR made a comment in August I think about how Sterling has come on as a player in the last few months and that Sterling has become more than just a run at other players kind of player in that time. Basically it sounded like Rodgers was saying that in a few months under him Sterling had improved a lot.

Sterling came out during the summer and said that he is enjoying training more now than he did under the previous manager and that he was learning a lot.

Kenny then came out and said that it was funny how people were now jumping on the bandwagon of taking credit for Sterling after only working with the player for a few months, and that it was QPR, Rafa and the academy that deserved the credit for Sterling.

Don't think there is any real "factions" on it though as pretty much every one is agreeing that the content of what Kenny said is correct.

I have no problem with what KK said, when i heard Rodgers talking about Sterling i had a feeling he was getting too used to the TV cameras being around him in the documentary.

KK is not at the club anymore. Why shouldnt he air his opinions any way he wants?. Maybe the wife asked him to take a job, maybe she's sick of him around the house again, who gives a fk really.

You can be sure that various hacks will have noted todays comments and will have a Kenny-watch page on their I-pad/notebook and every observation/critique or perceived slight will be highlighted if its juicy enough. Its just not clever by KD
    billybudd wrote: »
    Well the club have not been shy in making insinuations about KD and how he failed at his job and signings in the press, why should KD show them respect when they lack repect for him?

Brendan Rogers was Dalglish's target not the club.

You can be sure that various hacks will have noted todays comments and will have a Kenny-watch page on their I-pad/notebook and every observation/critique or perceived slight will be highlighted if its juicy enough. Its just not clever by KD

Brendan Rogers was Dalglish's target not the club.

Yep cause KD just came out with it for the sake of it, nothing to do with BR turning RS into the player he is now in rapid quick 2 month time period.

• Advertisement

tibor wrote: »
    Interesting preview of "Being Liverpool" in the Telegraph.

http://bit.ly/P9Lu4G

That painting BR has hanging in his gaff won't do much to assuage the fears of those worried about his ego.

This may or may not be true, but there is a bit on RAWK at the moment that is being attributed to Dave Usher about the picture of Rodgers that is in the clip for the docu.

Seems that there is talk that it was a gift from a charity in South Wales that Rodgers is involved with, and that the meditation bit in the film was pre booked by the owners before Rodgers was hired, and that it was a once off thing that Rodgers has not followed up on since the day of filming.

Might be just talk of course, but if it were true it does put him having the picture the picture in a different light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

It's not the fact that Rodgers said he has improved alot under him. It was that Brendan sounded somewhat disrespectful towards the people who had put so much work into the tactically well developed footballer that Raheem is today. It sounded like Rodgers had found him playing street football in some back alley and had single handedly turned this talented maverick into a professional footballer.
    If you look at Raheem Sterling over the last two weeks, he came as a young boy, 17 years old, and he only knew how to beat a defender - but if you look at today's game, he understood when to press and when to be inside. He was playing against an experienced player in Sebastien Bassong and he actually gave him a hard time.

That's brilliant for me because it shows he's taken it on board. He's thinking about the game. If he does that, and you add that to his talent, he's going to be a very, very good player for the future.

Opr

I just hope Kenny hasn't got his ear to the ground in regards a little more discontentment in certain camps maybe even related to the Segura departure. It just seems odd that he would be taking such a public swipe.

Opr

Two things.

Kenny probably shouldn't have said what he said publicly.

Rodgers talks a lot of shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

daRobot wrote: »
    tibor wrote: »
    Interesting preview of "Being Liverpool" in the Telegraph.

http://bit.ly/P9Lu4G

That painting BR has hanging in his gaff won't do much to assuage the fears of those worried about his ego.

While it's a bit cheesy for sure, at the same time, most successful people have massive egos, whether they show it openly or not. It's generally what drives them. It's really only more of a problem when it's staff level (player) rather than the boss.
    David Brent had a massive ego too. ;)

David Brent had a massive ego too. ;)

444040-tom_hardy_handsome_bob_large.jpg

Handsome Bob, is that so? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Many people can claim this and that about the making of Raheem Sterling, but Rodgers played him against City and Arsenal and it payed off, so fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Am I the only person who find's Brendan Rodger's a bit creepy. The whole Joe Allen thing aside when I saw the portrait in the telegraph about half way down..:eek:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9529661/Liverpool-fly-on-the-wall-documentary-reveals-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-methods-and-philosophy.html

Am I the only person who find's Brendan Rodger's a bit creepy. The whole Joe Allen thing aside when I saw the portrait in the telegraph about half way down..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9529661/Liverpool-fly-on-the-wall-documentary-reveals-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-methods-and-philosophy.html

It would be more creepy if he had a potrait of Joe Allen in his house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Grayditch wrote: »
    Many people can claim this and that about the making of Raheem Sterling, but Rodgers played him against City and Arsenal and it payed off, so fair play to him.

Sterling was gonna get in the first team one way or another, too good not to. At his age 6/12 months makes a huge difference as regards ability to compete in the Premier League. Its much easier play him now than it was under Kenny.

Am I the only person who find's Brendan Rodger's a bit creepy. The whole Joe Allen thing aside when I saw the portrait in the telegraph about half way down..:eek:

The talk is that portrait is from a charity in South Wales that he is involved with. It was meant to have been presented as a gift by the charity and used for the documentary.

Read that earlier today on RAWK and saw that Dave Usher was meant to have said so. Had a bit of a look around online and it turned out that Usher did say that. Says in the article as well that the painting is a gift from a charity.

Guess it then boils down to how much stock folk put in what Usher says as to whether they think Usher is telling the truth about the charity or if Rodgers is an egomaniac that likes to get paintings of himself done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

nothing wrong with a portrait to be fair. One of my students gave me a portrait and I have it hanging in my room, not because I love my mush, but because she went out of her way to draw it in crayon! youd never know where he got it from, or who it got it from!

jebidiah wrote: »
    nothing wrong with a portrait to be fair. One of my students gave me a portrait and I have it hanging in my room, not because I love my mush, but because she went out of her way to draw it in crayon! youd never know where he got it from, or who it got it from!

Fap.gif

The talk is that portrait is from a charity in South Wales that he is involved with. It was meant to have been presented as a gift by the charity and used for the documentary.

Read that earlier today on RAWK and saw that Dave Usher was meant to have said so. Had a bit of a look around online and it turned out that Usher did say that. Says in the article as well that the painting is a gift from a charity.

Guess it then boils down to how much stock folk put in what Usher says as to whether they think Usher is telling the truth about the charity or if Rodgers is an egomaniac that likes to get paintings of himself done.

The egomaniac seems to ring a lot bells around him! The whole "YOU PEOPLE" in the TAW podcast made me laugh and go you really are up your own arse.

The egomaniac seems to ring a lot bells around him! The whole "YOU PEOPLE" in the TAW podcast made me laugh and go you really are up your own arse.

Maybe but the fact that a number of people plus the article itself say that the potrait was a gift presented to him by a charity in Swansea suggests that the painting is just being used as a stick to beat the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

So when are we going to see Assaidi in action? Dying to get a good look at him and what he will bring to the team and given our low numbers up front.

Maybe but the fact that a number of people plus the article itself say that the potrait was a gift presented to him by a charity in Swansea suggests that the painting is just being used as a stick to beat the guy.

True we will all find out when Being Liverpool is shown or what way it is edited to show him. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with being an egomaniac when it comes to football and maybe that's what Liverpool need.

True we will all find out when Being Liverpool is shown or what way it is edited to show him. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with being an egomaniac when it comes to football and maybe that's what Liverpool need.

Have a feeling that Being Liverpool will be an utter cringefest.

Totally agree with your egomaniac point. If one has genuine talent to fuel the ego, then go for it and let the haters hate.

Yakult wrote: »
    So when are we going to see Assaidi in action? Dying to get a good look at him and what he will bring to the team and given our low numbers up front.

Would be surprised if he is not on the bench at the very least for the Sunderland game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

jebidiah wrote: »

now now, you KNOW you can't post something like that without posting a link to this nude self-portrait..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Liverpool FC building ties with Turkey - Intentional or Coincidence?

http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=3490

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

All these gifs and comments are going to seem inappropriate when Jebidiah says he is a primary school teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

World has gone soft.

So lets me just get a few things right in my head here.

1. Owners candour is fine and dandy even though its largely wind and delusion.
    2. Rodgers opens up and is roundly applauded for his honesty and approach but people agree he went too far in some areas.
    3. Dalglish tells it how it is, and is right in what he says, but should shut up.

Keep your gob shut unless its positive.........meh. Pour yourselves a glass of 'man the fk up'.

Hodgson said things after he went, the attitude was slightly less welcoming!

Kenny read far too much into a comment, of course Rodgers is going to say he has helped him improve, that doesn't mean it's running down the academy, far too touchy.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Hodgson said things after he went, the attitude was slightly less welcoming!

Kenny read far too much into a comment, of course Rodgers is going to say he has helped him improve, that doesn't mean it's running down the academy, far too touchy.

Have you read the comments? In fairness to Kenny when the comments were first published quite of few people made similar assertions to him. whatawaster has had a running joke with me in the thread because I voiced such disdain at the time for what he said.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

opr wrote: »
    Have you read the comments? In fairness to Kenny when the comments were first published quite of few people made similar assertions to him. whatawaster has had a running joke with me in the thread because I voiced such disdain at the time for what he said.

Opr

In fairness, we are reading a lot into one paragraph of published quotes. It could be that Rodgers wanted to point out (to Sterling and to other kids) that listening and doing what the manager says = big improvements = more game time.

I'm sure he didn't mean to be disrespectful to Borrell/Kenny/Rafa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Considering Kenny felt Sterling wasn't good enough to feature at all last season either Kenny couldn't accurately judge his talent or else Sterling did in fact make huge strides in 3 months which allowed him put in performances against Man City and Arsenal.

Considering Kenny felt Sterling wasn't good enough to feature at all last season either Kenny couldn't accurately judge his talent or else Sterling did in fact make huge strides in 3 months which allowed him put in performances against Man City and Arsenal.

He made 3 appearances last season :confused:

He played 25 minutes last season and has played 365 approx this season.

In fairness, we are reading a lot into one paragraph of published quotes. It could be that Rodgers wanted to point out (to Sterling and to other kids) that listening and doing what the manager says = big improvements = more game time.

I'm sure he didn't mean to be disrespectful to Borrell/Kenny/Rafa.

I just find it hard to fathom though why Kenny felt it worth airing in this way. We don't even know if Kenny was referring to the quote I suggest. I'm sure he still has many ears and eyes in the Academy given his very close ties even before he became manager. It could be like me he's just reading too much into that quote but I'd suggest Kenny was talking from a much more informed place. He didn't come across as having had any problems with Rodgers in his previous pieces. Also if Rodgers was trying to make the point you suggest he should have better ways of communicating it to the players than through the media.

Opr

This is what I was alluding to earlier, and these 3 months were under Rodgers, anyway. I don't think Kenny has a leg to stand on with any jibes (although don't think they were that harsh or anything). Rodgers had the guts/sense to play him against two of the best defences in the league and he's done very well so far. It was on Rodgers' head.

I'm gonna go ahead and give him credit for it playing him anyway. Big shout out to Raheem's Ma and Da for having him too, like. And to his uncle for his first pair of boots or whatever, like that list could go on ;)

• Advertisement

ffs lads, Sterling was 16 last year. Maybe at that age Kenny thought the kid should have had a full season at reserve level. Kenny was as much protecting/holding him back last season. He said as much when he talked about putting the welfare of the kids careers above the clubs needs. Rafa also made similar comments last season about protecting the kids. Everyone at the club was well aware of his talent. I'm actually quite worried about the amount of games he might have to play this season. Enough sticks exists to beat Kenny without using really silly ones.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Grayditch wrote: »
    This is what I was alluding to earlier, and these 3 months were under Rodgers, anyway. I don't think Kenny has a leg to stand on with any jibes (although don't think they were that harsh or anything). Rodgers had the guts/sense to play him against two of the best defences in the league and he's done very well so far. It was on Rodgers' head.

I'm gonna go ahead and give him credit for it playing him anyway. Big shout out to Raheem's Ma and Da for having him too, like. And to his uncle for his first pair of boots or whatever, like that list could go on ;)

You forgot Durex for supplying dodgy condoms :)

I don't see Kenny being beaten with sticks here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

opr wrote: »
    ffs lads, Sterling was 16 last year. Maybe at that age Kenny thought the kid should have had a full season at reserve level. Kenny was as much protecting/holding him back last season. He said as much when he talked about putting the welfare of the kids careers above the clubs needs. Rafa also made similar comments last season about protecting the kids. Everyone at the club was well aware of his talent. I'm actually quite worried about the amount of games he might have to play this season. Enough sticks exists to beat Kenny without using really silly ones.

Opr

He was 17 in May when Kenny brought him on with 2 minutes left of a match.

Thanks Melion as usual an illuminating contribution to the debate.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sterling turned 17 last December. I think it's very unlikely Kenny was holding him back at 17 years and 5 months but felt he'd be fully ready to go at 17 years and 9 months. I suppose if Kenny was still manager he'd be holding him back for another while.

He made his debut v Wigan last March as a sub. He wasn't long gone 17.

As opr says, it was about protecting the player.

I'd hate to see him overused this season due to our lack of depth. He does look quite a prospect though.

Sterling turned 17 last December. I think it's very unlikely Kenny was holding him back at 17 years and 5 months but felt he'd be fully ready to go at 17 years and 9 months. I suppose if Kenny was still manager he'd be holding him back for another while.

It has nothing to do with being ready in terms of talent. It has everything to do with the kids career as a whole, protecting him, nurturing him. The first steps in that for Raheem was to be involved in and around the first team, traveling with them, getting used to everything and then a couple of cameos to give him a taste. Not firing him in and asking him to sink or swim. He was always going to see significantly more game time this season whether it was with Kenny or Rodgers. I can't believe this is actually a point people are trying to make. Has it now become a Kenny Vs Rodgers thing in peoples head or something? Mad stuff ted.

Opr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Overused and protect him? No, play him in whatever match he is needed. Or would you lot have protected Rooney, Messi, the real Ronaldo and Fabregas? The kid is our best prospect in 15 years and should be played whenever needed. It's not like Insua where if he makes a mistake, there's a strong chance it will result in a goal for the opponent. He has shown enough so far this season that he is worth his place in the first 11 until January at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Jesus lads protectiing him ? .
    Hes able to put it about its nit like hes 12.
    If hes good enough hes old enough . To be honest he has looked Liverpools best winger this season . He can be the type if player that can grab a game by the scruff of the neck . I cant see any benefits to not playing him now .
    Id understand if he was being played with an injury. The fellas in good health let him play .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement