Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If Reina had some decent competition it would benefit everyone including himself.

If he is not doing his job properly and by all accounts he is not then BJ should be given the opportunity.

We cant have a situation where a manager is afraid to drop a player.

A couple of games dropped would give an indication of where PR head is and how he reacts to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

There aren't really cliques in here, just people who agree with someone else. They tend to change fairly quickly though. Up until this summer I would have agreed with Lloyd far more than I disagreed with him, this summer he lost the plot for some reason and I've found myself in strong opposition to him. That's the fun and games of message boards and opinions. Maybe there are other cliques you are referring to that have by-passed me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

billybudd wrote: »
    If he is not doing his job properly and by all accounts he is not then BJ should be given the opportunity.

We cant have a situation where a manager is afraid to drop a player.

A couple of games dropped would give an indication of where PR head is and how he reacts to it.

If Doni was there, i'd be all for him having a shot, but Jones really isn't great...

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    If Doni was there, i'd be all for him having a shot, but Jones really isn't great...

I think he has done ok when he came in apart from a few things and anyway it really doesnt matter as PR isnt great lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

rossc007 wrote: »
    Do you think the problem with Pepe is a lack of enthusiasm or motivation? Could it be a confidence issue?

Someone on here, might be a few months back now, touched on his reflexes and mobility deteriorating. I think I am of the same thinking. Some keepers keep their reflexes at peak level longer than others and my concern would be that Pepe might be one of those that loses his earlier.

He seems to get caught flat footed more often than he did years ago, and his movement when adjusting position seems more laboured (by the standards he has set over the years).

I think he is still a good to very good goalkeeper on his day, but there was a time that he could have been argued to have been a great goalkeeper on his day.

I don't think confidence is an issue with the man though. I think he is mentally very strong, and that his self confidence is something that would be high.

Good competition within the squad would be no harm though because right now Pepe has to know that even if he comes it at 50% of his best, he is still far superior to the other keepers at the club.

Kess73 wrote: »
    A bundle of nerves. Am really hopeful about Wednesday but also worried that it may be another false dawn.

I think every family has their own hopes for Wednesday, but the overriding ones would be a step towards proper closure and a proper apology for that day. I know a lot of folk want an apology for the hurt, loss, and suffering that families, friends etc went through over the past 23 years and counting, but for me the main thing is to get an apology issued to those no longer here as their names got slandered by lies by the media, by politicians, by police, by the likes of Brian Clough and those 96 souls were slandered in an attempt to cover up the faults of others.

The accidental death verdict has to go as well, and the lip service has to be replaced by proper sanctions against those at fault that day and also those that helped cover it up for years.

And this will sound very bitter, but I want, on the day that the 96 get their win and they will get it one day, for Margaret Thatcher to be alive and having one of her more lucid days so she gets to hear them vindicated and she gets to hear her government's part in it officially laid bare for all the public to know.

I just want tonight and tomorrow night to pass in a flash so that I can get to Tuesday and head home to be with my family and those that have become family over the years. Then get as good a night's sleep on Tuesday night as possible.

Wednesday will be a day to listen, to learn, to plan, to cry, and to have resolves strengthened to see this fight through whether it takes another year or another 23 years. I think a lot of people in official positions thought this would all go away and people would accept token gestures but we have had 23 years to test our mettle, we can go as many more as it will take.

Then Thursday I will probably come back to Ireland and start to deal with whatever has sank in at that point. Then go back to Liverpool on the 22nd of this month for the United game the following day and touch base with folk as well as catching the game.

I think anyone with a love of LFC will have massive empathy towards that day and the effect it had on LFC, the city and the community as a whole.

I still remember the vivid images and the sense of shock i and others felt in Ireland watching it on TV in a state of confusement and later horror, the fact that Ireland and Liverpool have strong links and share a familiar mindset only deepened that sense of anger, horror, shock and eventually solidarity in the days, weeks, months and years after the event.

And although in Ireland it has become an infrequent topic of conversation as we have our own historical misjustices to talk about and comment on it is my belief that not only Irish LFC fans but the majority of Irish football fans would love nothing better for the people of liverpool and especially the families of the victims to get the answers that they so overwhelmingly deserve and also the closure that comes from establishments taking responsibilty for the conditions that day that resulted in not only loss but the hurt, anger and all the other emotions attached with losing loved ones for no good reason other than attending a football match.

MY thoughts and prayers will be with the city of Liverpool and especially the family and friends of the 96 people who died that day when hopefullycome wednesday they get long overdue answers to one of the most heinous sporting days in modern football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Vanolder wrote: »
    That lad got banned for that? What a shower of absolute Jessies on here. I'd agree with Kess re the fake outrage and disgust that a lot of Irish fans portray in regards Hillsborough. It's pathetic really ..

I read here a lot more than I post as I am largely on my phone which is a nuisance when it comes to typing. But the bitching, moaning and ridiculous arguments are so cringe and again indictative of a lot of Irish Liverpool supporters in the 'real' world.

A lot of fellas would want to find a woman/ take up meditation/ buy a punching bag, and catch themselves on. We all support/follow the club, but Irish fellas trying to outdo each other to show who is the biggest or most outraged supporter of a club based in another country is beyond sad.

Rant over , banning accepted.

People like yourself should post away, that includes the ones who thanked your post, i couldnt hang around and just lurk. Its not about outdoing each other. I dont think theres any sides to be taken, pretty confident ive had a disagreement with everyone in here at some point. From my own point of view it doesnt mean im trying to emulate Roy Keane in the charisma stakes, its just the way it is. Theres teenagers in here and people approaching 40 and beyond, its natural to have 'angry' exchanges from time to time because people see things differently. Id rather be a 'Bellamy' and live like a lion for a day, than live like a lamb for 100.

I dont think people are in here posting trying to be outraged at certain things. I know for me, if i have strong enough views i will post it, a lot of stuff i couldnt care less.

I read a piece today, dont know if it was posted or not, about the clubs owners admiring West Brom, that set up. I was hoping i would never here that ever from our owners past or present. People should really wake up to stuff like this imho. If thats true i dont expect this club to go anywhere under these owners for many reasons but i cant be arsed to elaborate this late at night. It isnt that its West Brom, they are run very well and i think they are pretty much debt free or were, but its a larger picture. Some people cant see bigger pictures, some can, i think i can, doesnt mean im right but i will say what i think anyway.

These owners admire well run clubs who win fk all, namely Arsenal and the Baggies. The only difference between Arsenal and mediocrity is the manager there, ironically, a manager who has ultimate control, something our owners dont believe is sustainable. These owners we have today havent got a fking clue about football, thats where it starts and where it ends unfortunately. In 2 or 3 years people will be asking the same questions some of us are pointing out today imo, and thats why some of us get emotional over things sometimes. Some of us sat through us being the best in England only for Moores to come in and never bring us out of the 80's. These owners today are bringing us out of the 80's off the pitch but imo are even less knowledgeable 'on the pitch' as Moores was off it.

It's says a lot that there are very few well run clubs who actually win things. If they don't admire Arsenal or WBA who should they admire?

City - Nope, Chelsea - nope, United - Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

daithijjj I read the same article too and I wonder do they want that type of set up so we can be run without the owners having to do very much other then to make sure we make profit and make sure everybody is doing their job .
    I would prefer to have hands on owners especially ones with knowledge of how a football club runs . They don't seem to have a clue about football and I don't think they ever really will because Americans will never take to football . They seem like facts and figures men and to me football cannot work under facts and figures . I also feel we will always play second fiddle to Red Sox and that will never change .

It's says a lot that there are very few well run clubs who actually win things. If they don't admire Arsenal or WBA who should they admire?

City - Nope, Chelsea - nope, United - Nope.

Well, to be fair, United are run really really well, they just happen to have a load of debt dumped on the club, which had nothing to do with the club. But in how they're actually run, they're nigh on perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I thought the Telegraph piece was extremely positive. I don't think it contained much that was that new anyway. The committee was announced in Brendan's first press conference. Our manager said that he wanted to work within a team of people many of whom he will have been involved in choosing. It's what some of us having been crying out for.

I read someone give a great shout today for the senior figure head guy referred to in the article - John Barnes. He hasn't done much as a manager so won't be a foreboding figure in the background for people to call for if things start going badly for Brendan. Knows the history/traditions, articulate, intelligent and he is good with the media. He showed during the Suarez affair just what a class act he is.

Opr

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, United are run really really well, they just happen to have a load of debt dumped on the club, which had nothing to do with the club. But in how they're actually run, they're nigh on perfect.

But the debt would take the away from being a well run club or a club to aspire to in the eyes of FSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

opr wrote: »

I read someone give a great shout today for the senior figure head guy referred to in the article - John Barnes. He hasn't done much as a manager so won't be a foreboding figure in the background for people to call for if things start going badly for Brendan. Knows the history/traditions, articulate, intelligent and he is good with the media. He showed during the Suarez affair just what a class act he is.

Opr

Terrible shout. He always comes across as a bit of a tit when I hear him speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Opr

Who cares what he knows about the history and traditions of the club, the head of any transfer committe should be someone with a proven track record in scouting/identifying players

Barnes record in this respect is Scheidt.

Quiet literally

Tusky wrote: »
    Terrible shout. He always comes across as a bit of a tit when I hear him speak.

John Barnes :confused: I'm not sure I could disagree with that more strongly.

Opr

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Who cares what he knows about the history and traditions of the club, the head of any transfer committe should be someone with a proven track record in scouting/identifying players

Quiet literally

Did you read the article? This is a figurehead type guy similar to what Kenny would have been in the past when Rafa brought him back with no real power. He would have nothing to do with scouting?

Opr

daithijjj I read the same article too and I wonder do they want that type of set up so we can be run without the owners having to do very much other then to make sure we make profit and make sure everybody is doing their job .
    I would prefer to have hands on owners especially ones with knowledge of how a football club runs . They don't seem to have a clue about football and I don't think they ever really will because Americans will never take to football . They seem like facts and figures men and to me football cannot work under facts and figures . I also feel we will always play second fiddle to Red Sox and that will never change .

If they run the club into profits every year, however meagre, they will always be on the back foot with fans. They have said they didnt come into the club to make money.

At the end of the day, a club of this size needs people in or around the club 24/7 who can make decisions in terms of on the pitch and during transfer windows, no excuses. Its no use to this club to have people 1000s of miles away making those decisions. Ian Ayre's job needs to be redefined, he simply isnt up to the job he is currently in imo.

I can see Brian Barwick having a role or someone of that ilk. But we badly need someone like that and with his connections. We need that person based at the club fulltime and building relationships with other clubs again. Finance and goodwill only takes you so far, time to walk the walk or sell up as far as im concerned. If you ever hear another word about previous regimes or previous managers you can take that as them making excuses for themselves. They are intelligent people but i have yet to see any knowledge. Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, knowledge is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad. The talk of learning curves is wearing thin with me.

]

But the debt would take the away from being a well run club or a club to aspire to in the eyes of FSG.

The debt is only there because it's how the glaziers bought the club. If they were bought out tomorrow by someone who would put no money in or debt on the club, they'd be spending the sort of money city do without bating an eyelid

The debt isn't there because of how they are run, it's there because of how they were bought

They're the model to aspire to, and only the debt burdened on them by the glaziers is allowing the rest of the league to keep up with them to an extent

I thought the Telegraph piece was extremely positive. I don't think it contained much that was that new anyway. The committee was announced in Brendan's first press conference. Our manager said that he wanted to work within a team of people many of whom he will have been involved in choosing. It's what some of us having been crying out for.

Opr

Digger is a top man but he is very limited imho. I could see a role for him in some community and/or ethnic 'departments' of the club though, maybe educational or media training based stuff also. A spokesperson for something like that is where it ends though. Maybe some coaching clinics etc but no real say.

• Advertisement

LiamoSail wrote: »

Quiet literally

Did you read the article? This is a figurehead type guy similar to what Kenny would have been in the past when Rafa brought him back with no real power. He would have nothing to do with scouting?

Opr

Apologies, I didnt read it. I'm on a ship so the Internet is dead slow and didn't fancy the prospect of waiting for it to load. I assumed it referred to the transfer committee

daithijjj wrote: »
    Digger is a top man but he is very limited imho. I could see a role for him in some community and/or ethnic 'departments' of the club though, maybe educational or media training based stuff also. A spokesperson for something like that is where it ends though. Maybe some coaching clinics etc but no real say.

That's exactly the type of thing I'm referring towards. I'm not really sure what it would fully involve only for starters that it would require someone who's articulate and good with the media.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Kess73 wrote: »
    Someone on here, might be a few months back now, touched on his reflexes and mobility deteriorating. I think I am of the same thinking. Some keepers keep their reflexes at peak level longer than others and my concern would be that Pepe might be one of those that loses his earlier.

This is spot on. All keepers become slower as they get older.

Schmeichel slowed down quite alot in the twilight of his career.

I have watched Shay Given in the flesh for 15 years. He is nowhere near as quick with his feet as he used to be. That Croatia headed opener is not the first time he has failed to reach an easy effort in recent years.

Compare Cech now to when he was first signed for Chelsea. It's night and day. The only reason he hasn't been replaced by Courtois is the champions league victory. He is well past his best.

Reina is just on a slow decline. I still wouldn't sell him though. You wont be able to get in anybody as good for the money you get for him.

Kirby wrote: »
    This is spot on. All keepers become slower as they get older.

Schmeichel slowed down quite alot in the twilight of his career.

I have watched Shay Given in the flesh for 15 years. He is nowhere near as quick with his feet as he used to be. That Croatia headed opener is not the first time he has failed to reach an easy effort in recent years.

Compare Cech now to when he was first signed for Chelsea. It's night and day. The only reason he hasn't been replaced by Courtois is the champions league victory. He is well past his best.

Reina is just on a slow decline. I still wouldn't sell him though. You wont be able to get in anybody as good for the money you get for him.

Reina has only just turned 30 though, which is young in goalkeeping terms. While he does look less sharp, I'm not convinced yet that it's the beginning of the end. In terms of premiership keepers ages, he's pretty much right in the middle. Quite a few 5 or more years older, not too many more than 2 or 3 years younger.

He does need a challenge though, he seems less focused than he used to, which was always his strong point - being able to do nothing for 89 minutes and pull off a wonder save when called upon. I do think the top level Reina is still in there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

There aren't really cliques in here, just people who agree with someone else. They tend to change fairly quickly though. Up until this summer I would have agreed with Lloyd far more than I disagreed with him, this summer he lost the plot for some reason and I've found myself in strong opposition to him. That's the fun and games of message boards and opinions. Maybe there are other cliques you are referring to that have by-passed me though.

With all this talk of cliques ?
    I want to know who is in which clique.

This one :

HHHXPACHBKNASHHALLKliqDXnWo.jpg

or this one : :D

free-poster-6m8ybuycfh-THE-CLIQUE.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

"The only thing harder than getting in, is staying in"

bean-if-you-know-what-i-mean.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The backup for Reina has been no challenge what so ever and will never displace Reina and he knows it. Even last year after Regina missed the few games jones was interviewed and he was only delighted to hand the jersey back to Reina.

We need someone young and ambitious that will challenge Reina for no1 spot, by all account that German lad (I haven't seen him though) would be perfect or even someone like butland if he could be got a reasonable price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

lloris to spurs was great bit of business for them . top keeper ready to step in if freidel throws a wobble/retires. we dont quite need a keeper of that stature yet but shpuld one ready to take up the rein(reina)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

cjmc wrote: »
    lloris to spurs was great bit of business for them . top keeper ready to step in if freidel throws a wobble/retires. we dont quite need a keeper of that stature yet but shpuld one ready to take up the rein(reina)

He could be a great bit of business indeed. But at the moment all he looks like is someone ready to destabilize the team with his comments. That is the last AVB needs. But which also could be a good thing for Liverpool having Spurs players infighting with their manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It'll be interesting to see how AVB works this competing him and Friedel against each other. He's put the trap down with his comments during the week. I think competition for places is good, when it's handled right.

EDIT: Ah I see My Broken Knees addressed it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

He could be a great bit of business indeed. But at the moment all he looks like is someone ready to destabilize the team with his comments. That is the last AVB needs. But which also could be a good thing for Liverpool having Spurs players infighting with their manager.

oh , didnt hear about that . what was the gist of it ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

cjmc wrote: »
    oh , didnt hear about that . what was the gist of it ??

Well coming out today is that Daniel Levy bought him not AVB. So AVB told him last week that he wouldn't be first choice keeper and would have to fight for it. Lloris wasn't happy with this and told the French media so before the international last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

some of you are going to love this.
    Rafa Benitez has revealed he was surprised that he was not approached by Liverpool to replace Kenny Dalglish at Anfield in the summer.

The former Reds boss had expressed an interest in returning to the helm to succeed Dalglish following the Scot's departure in May.

However, Liverpool's American owners overlooked Benitez and plumped for Brendan Rodgers to take charge of the side.

Benitez, who guided Liverpool to Champions League and FA Cup glory during his five seasons on Merseyside, feels his success at the club should have earned him the opportunity to try and succeed Dalglish.

"It was strange not to be approached," Benitez told the Irish Independent. "We know the club, the players, the Academy and we have even more experience now...the fans were positive about the idea."

Benitez, who has been out of work since leaving Inter Milan in 2010, believes despite a disappointing last season at Anfield his record stands up to the test.

"We used to play so many important games that it seemed it was normal and it wasn't," added Benitez. "People were talking about 'the past', but just a few years ago Liverpool FC was No.1 in Europe."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8069274/Rafa-reveals-Reds-surprise

you're all welcome for the ensuing carnage :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We used to play so many important games that it seemed it was normal and it wasn't," added Benitez. "People were talking about 'the past', but just a few years ago Liverpool FC was No.1 in Europe

xbsbn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Embarrassing to be honest. He might genuinely believe he should have been called but saying that out loud is most unhelpful now.

/Brendan crosses another name off the Christmas card list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Embarrassing is right!! Imagine one of the top managers in the game was available and our owners never even considered him. Embarrassing indeed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Its not Embarrassing, he is in Ireland and is being interviewed and asked lots of questions in relation to his an evening with Benitez event, and as per usual he is being very open and honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the owners were never going to consider him.

yes, it's romantic for us, and might even make a whole lot of sense to us, but it was too big a risk.

you bring back one club icon, sack him, then bring back another?

1) it would've looked like they're pandering to the fans; and
    2) if they had to sack him down the line, their position could potentially have been untenable due to public backlash.

he was the best qualified, I'm sure, for the job, but there would have been far too much baggage for them to handle I'd imagine, especially after Kenny.

People really need to have a bit of wit about them. Everyone is a blabbermouth these days.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Embarrassing WTF ??

The only embarrassing thing is that he never got approached and we will have to go with our tails between our legs in a couple of seasons.

• Advertisement

Leiva wrote: »
    Embarrassing WTF ??

The only embarrassing thing is that he never got approached and we will have to go with our tails between our legs in a couple of seasons.

Ah yes cos Rafa would make everything alright - just alike your momma!

Read Slicks post which although containing points so obvious they should hardly need to be enunciated nonetheless probably still needed to be posted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Raheem Sterling has just been called into the senior England squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Sterling called into full England squad.

RAHEEM STERLING, JAKE LIVERMORE AND ADAM LALLANA CALLED UP BY ROY HODGSON

Roy Hodgson's England squad has seen further changes as they prepare for the visit of Ukraine on Tuesday evening.

Theo Walcott has returned to Arsenal having woken on Monday morning with illness. Daniel Sturridge was forced to sit out of training also due to stomach cramps, but the England medical team are hopeful he will be available for Tuesday evening.

Having lost five players from his original squad, Hodgson has added three players ahead of the first home World Cup qualifier at Wembley. Southampton's Adam Lallana, Tottenham Hotspur's Jake Livermore and Liverpool's Raheem Sterling will all join the squad.

Source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That's a joke.

**** me that's quick! I had him down for a friendly in the spring (if there is a date for one).

Ah - Jamaica is the angle here, get him nailed down now, only takes a few seconds at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

i hate roy hodgson.

fuck off roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Cue Roy coming out in the next couple of days saying that he played an integral part in Sterling's development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Cue Roy coming out in the next couple of days saying that he played an integral part in Sterling's development.

Maybe Kenny was having a pre-emptive pop at Roy and not BR?! :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

This is all to prevent him from playing for Jamaica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

ollie1 wrote: »
    This all to prevent him from playing for Jamaica.

Yes i imagine so, best for us that he sticks with England. Still i worry that this is all a bit too much too early, hope he keeps a level head.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement