Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wow, its nice when people fight over our players..... not the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Isn't it better for Liverpool if he did play for England? For home games it'll involve less travelling plus he'll be playing with better quality players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

So BR asked that he not get a call up to the U21's last week and Roy has given him a senior call up :rolleyes:

Opr

I don't buy this stuff about Jamaica. I don't think he would have played for them and the FA could have easily sought assurances either way. Walcott and Sturridge have both missed training with injuries so he has obviously been called up as cover.

Rodgers only spoke last week about keeping his feet on the ground.
    Rodgers is keen to keep the flying winger’s feet firmly on the ground and Rodgers said: “With young players, you have to be careful. They can be elevated above their station too quickly.

“That is a part of it in this country. They have one good game and they get elevated to superstar status.

“You then see them at 23 and 24 and you wonder why they are not superstars any more.

“I spoke to Trevor Brooking on where the FA believe he is at. I said, in my opinion, of course he has got the ability to be in the Under-21s. But in many ways it is right for him to go with the Under-19s. He has met up with the England squad now and travelled to play in Germany. It then allows him to come back and recover well before our next game at Sunderland.

“It is all about individual needs. It might look great on the back pages that he is involved in the Under-21s, but the reality is that this is a kid who has made great strides over the last few weeks; he was absolutely fantastic through pre-season.

“You have seen his quality, courage and attitude in games – he has been fantastic. But, for the moment, let’s just stay calm.”

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Henderson's confidence must be very low after Sterling,Lallana & livermore get called into England squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i can imagine it now....
    I wemember during my bwief spell at Anfield, seeing Waheem for the underwage team and telling him to keep his head down, and if so, he would achieve all he wanted to in the game.

and it's gweat as England manager, to be able to help fulfill some of that pwomise by bwinging him into the squad.

yes, i'm immature, i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

You forgot that he hooted 3 times after saying that:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Might be too early to bring him in to England panel but he's held his own against Arsenal and City already this season not to mention he's probably been Liverpool's better players along with all Allen so far. Fair play to him

Hopefully he gets little or no game time.

Sunderland away he'll be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

MD1990 wrote: »
    Henderson's confidence must be very low after Sterling,Lallana & livermore get called into England squad

Why so? It is not as though Henderson would be an obvious choice and there will have been plenty of other young and not so young players not called up.

Sterling has gotten his call up thanks to his form. I'm sure if Henderson had played with the same verve and had the same impact that Sterling has had, then Henderson would have gotten a call up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

He probably wont even get on the pitch i think its just to give him the experience of being around the senior squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

gaelicred wrote: »
    He probably wont even get on the pitch i think its just to give him the experience of being around the senior squad

We could do with him staying away from some of the characters in that squad tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

6eof0j.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

SlickRic wrote: »
    the owners were never going to consider him.

yes, it's romantic for us, and might even make a whole lot of sense to us, but it was too big a risk.

you bring back one club icon, sack him, then bring back another?

1) it would've looked like they're pandering to the fans; and
    2) if they had to sack him down the line, their position could potentially have been untenable due to public backlash.

he was the best qualified, I'm sure, for the job, but there would have been far too much baggage for them to handle I'd imagine, especially after Kenny.

The best man should have got the job irrespective of history or so called baggage.

Of all the managers who where available or realistic he would of been the best qualified to do the job.

billybudd wrote: »
    The best man should have got the job irrespective of history or so called baggage.

Of all the managers who where available or realistic he would of been the best qualified to do the job.

Whilst I would not have objected in the slightest to Rafa returning, I think the best available manager last May/June was Van Gaal.

Then again some might argue Capello, some might argue Rafa etc.

i agree.

but given the special circumstances, it was never going to happen.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Whilst I would not have objected in the slightest to Rafa returning, I think the best available manager last May/June was Van Gaal.

Then again some might argue Capello, some might argue Rafa etc.

Am just a unapologetic rafa loyalist. but i do feel even putting my obvious favourtism aside i think he would have been a success, i think he would achieve in 2 seasons what others will take 5 or more seasons to.

Am just a unapologetic rafa loyalist. but i do feel even putting my obvious favourtism aside i think he would have been a success, i think he would achieve in 2 seasons what others will take 5 or more seasons to.

I do agree with you in that if Rafa came in after Hodgson or at the end of the 2010/11 season and was given the same cash to spend ( a combination of club money and money raised from sales) that we would have had a better season last season.

I think if Rafa came in this summer that we might have seen many of the same players on Rafa's sell list. Funnily enough the four players that came in this summer are very much Rafa style players imho in terms of skillset and workrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9531116/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-to-receive-help-from-technical-committee.html

To me this means Henry and Werner are looking for new people to blame when we miss transfer targets or aren't getting good results . I have to give them credit they are very smooth operators .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

MD1990 wrote: »
    Henderson's confidence must be very low after Sterling,Lallana & livermore get called into England squad[/Quote

Tbf hendo isint a winger so doubt he was in contention. Imo its just so he will claim for England and hell be put back in the u19s after his brief cameo at the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9531116/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-to-receive-help-from-technical-committee.html

To me this means Henry and Werner are looking for new people to blame when we miss transfer targets or aren't getting good results . I have to give them credit they are very smooth operators .

They are really nice, aren't they? Offering every possible help?

/sarcasm mode off/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I can't actually believe we were prepared to Swap Henderson for a player we valued at £3M. Crazy stuff

This is the problem, no one is quite sure if they are smooth operators or they have some alternate plan that will stagnate the club.

If they are in it for the long haul then they would want to start putting down some long terms plans so supporters can feel confident in them and the club and this will lead to more confidence and support for players and indeed the manager.

Cant help thinking alot of mistrust of the players and manager is to do with very little trust in the club appearing to move forward.

We have been standing still from 2009 and now is the time for the owners to show their mantle and start moving the clob forward, no more scapegoats, no more lack of communuications, no more open letters, no more style over substance, we all want the club to show signs of competing and moving forward in a well oiled cohesive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Roy Hodgson: "In the last two years, Raheem has come on in leaps and bounds, since those few minutes against Monchengladbach in the pre-season."

What was that about claiming credit?

Source: @jeremy_LFC (Srijandeep Das) on Twitter

Roy Hodgson: "In the last two years, Raheem has come on in leaps and bounds, since those few minutes against Monchengladbach in the pre-season." What was that about claiming credit?

i hope that's a joke.

i hope that's a joke.

Don't know about that quote, but Hodgson has come out and said that he has included Sterling in the England squad with the intention of not playing him.

Don't know about that quote, but Hodgson has come out and said that he has included Sterling in the England squad with the intention of not playing him.

not the worst idea in the world from an England point of view to be fair.

not the worst idea in the world from an England point of view to be fair.

Nope it is not a bad idea from an England pov. From a LFC pov I would prefer for him to be in Liverpool and in training for either a start or a role from the bench against Sunderland at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Nope it is not a bad idea from an England pov. From a LFC pov I would prefer for him to be in Liverpool and in training for either a start or a role from the bench against Sunderland at the weekend.

Im sure its gonna cost the club a few quid as well as I'm sure some add ons to QPR would be when he makes a full England debut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He is not going to make his full England debut though by the sound of it.

Leiva wrote: »
    Im sure its gonna cost the club a few quid as well as I'm sure some add ons to QPR would be when he makes a full England debut.

If he does not play, then any potential add on won't kick in though. Hodgson has said that he does not intend to play him, and instead just give the player the experience of training with the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

If he does not play, then any potential add on won't kick in though. Hodgson has said that he does not intend to play him, and instead just give the player the experience of training with the squad.

which he hopes would be enough of a carrott to make him turn down Jamaica....tis a bit sneaky dontcha think?

Hardly. The lad is there to be grabbed, be waste playing for Jamaica.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Martin Atkinson has been appointed referee for Sunderland against Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

This is a good idea, I don't think they are looking for more people to blame just put a system in place so it doesn't happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

amiable wrote: »
    Martin Atkinson has been appointed referee for Sunderland against Liverpool
    Might as well be Rowan Atkinson for all the difference it will make.

Gonna be rough for LFC fans here at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

All I want from the game is improvement over the last. I want to see Gerrard a little less wreckless with the ball, Reina more confident and Suarez a little more patient. I also just want to see Joe Allen playing, tis a wonderful sight.

Yesil opens the scoring for Germany against Wales. Goal machine!

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

opr wrote: »
    Yesil opens the scoring for Germany against Wales. Goal machine!

Opr

Wait until he gets woodwork fever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Had a look at that BBC special on Hillsborough. It was interesting to hear the take of the writer of The S*n article and fair play to him for giving his time, but I found it hard to listen to him going on about how it was some kind of ethical duty to write such an article.

He seems to think that the only problem was the headline.

• Advertisement

SamedlYesilFever.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the Rafa thing, I can totally understand their reasons for not picking him for the job, but i see absolutely no logical reason to not even approach him.

Why limit their options by ruling out a clearly high quality potential candidate, especially one who could provide some valuable insight into the club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    On the Rafa thing, I can totally understand their reasons for not picking him for the job, but i see absolutely no logical reason to not even approach him.

Why limit their options by ruling out a clearly high quality potential candidate, especially one who could provide some valuable insight into the club?

He was approached. Best for all concerned to toe the line that he wasn't though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He was approached. Best for all concerned to toe the line that he wasn't though.

Rafa directly states that he wasn't approached, in the interview SlickRic posted.
    "It was strange not to be approached," Benitez told the Irish Independent

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Rafa directly states that he wasn't approached, in the interview SlickRic posted.

If you believe him then fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think a person himself saying he wasn't approached holds more weight than someone on an internet forum saying he was....just sayin' like.:pac:

I know TW is on record saying they talked but dont think it was about the job and he was a bit shifty about it and wouldnt expand, would take RB word about not been approached as he has always been to honest for his own good.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I think a person himself saying he wasn't approached holds more weight than someone on an internet forum saying he was....just sayin' like.:pac:

I've no doubt people will take it as gospel that Rafa said he wasn't approached.

I know TW is on record saying they talked but dont think it was about the job and he was a bit shifty about it and wouldnt expand, would take RB word about not been approached as he has always been to honest for his own good.

Yeah I mentioned a few nights back that someone on TAW had said he knew for certain they had talked. I had it on in the background so wasn't exactly sure on the details. I tried finding the episode so I could listen back to see what was said but couldn't find it. The way you describe it sounds familiar, it felt like he really didn't want to be pushed on the subject for more info that he had already given more than he had meant.

Those comments today come across like Rafa is genuinely hurt at not being asked which made me think it might be quite truthful. Rafa and Ayre really didn't get on from what I understand but how much say Ayre had in who was interviewed is hard to say. I'd like to think very little.

Opr

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've no doubt people will take it as gospel that Rafa said he wasn't approached.

In Rafa we trust.

For good reason.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement