Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

My bad, I got the impression from your posts you were very disappointed he had left and I was wondering why such disappointment.

The disappointed comes from losing a guy who was doing a great job. It seems we lost him because he was expecting a new role within the new structure which has been binned. The structure not the role. Telling someone you see them playing a bigger role within the club only to then renege on that is an easy way to piss someone off. The whole thing was completely avoidable. My other gripe is with the fact that the new structure should have went ahead if Rodgers was the manager coming into the club.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

opr wrote: »
    The disappointed comes from losing a guy who was doing a great job. It seems we lost him because he was expecting a new role within the new structure which has been binned. The structure not the role. Telling someone you see them playing a bigger role within the club only to then renege on that is an easy way to piss someone off. The whole thing was completely avoidable. My other gripe is with the fact that the new structure should have went ahead if Rodgers was the manager coming into the club.

Opr

Yea it was silly of them to offer him a new role and then re-neg on it. Shame to lose him but the good thing is he seems to have already implemented most of his ideas etc so hopefully it will just be a case of getting someone in to keep it ticking over. Agree to disagree about the new structure though, wouldn't have been a fan of it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

I've a feeling we'll be working through a record number of threads this season. :(

Did anyone see the report on CNN last night? They were talking about the start of the new Prem season and had a brief segment on LFC during which Red Sox fans were being asked about FSG. I literally only caught the last 30 seconds of it, so wondering if anyone else saw it and knows the jist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80251610&postcount=7690
    Originally Posted by Turtyturd

Am I jumping the gun or is it ok to laugh now?

Unlucky Turty, better luck next time. You never fail to amuse me. :)
    Originally Posted by willmunny1990
    I'd be shocked if Sahin agreed to join Liverpool. There would be plenty of clubs in the Champions League willing to sign him (on loan or permanently). Why would he chose Liverpool, a Europa League side who haven't played in the CL since 2009, over clubs like Arsenal or even Spurs?

It doesn't add up and just sounds like twitter nonsense.
    Originally Posted by willmunny1990

I doubt they would see loaning him to a team like Arsenal as a serious threat.

But even if they did, the power is with the player these days. If there's a loan offer on the table from Arsenal and Liverpool, you can be sure that Sahin will get the move to Arsenal if he pushes for it.

Looks like I was bang on the money, yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jkrna.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I had to take you off ignore just to LOLOLOLOL at this bit.

Crack open the champagne, you got something right :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I see we're linked with Jack Butland for 7.5 million. Seriously, if we spend that at this stage, when money is tight, and we really need first team additions...christ...

I can only assume it's a rubbish link, because it flies in the face of all logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Striker, we need a striker. My christ we cant rely on Suarez if hes gonna be playing the way he did on saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No idea why anyone would even dream Liverpool and Llorente would be a viable link up this summer. Need to think 10-12 million tops I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

do any of ye think the stevie g situation needs resolution? He was the stand-out performer for England in the Euros (but that's not saying an awful lot) but his swashbuckling win-by-myself games are getting fewer and fewer; add to the fact that his B-Game is horrendous. A lot of players have a solid enough B-game, take Ya Ya Toure today he wasn't at his best by a long shot but still contributed a lot, stevie G seems to have an amazing A-game then complete anonymity, he goes completely AWOL in games. It looks like Rodgers is building for the future with him very much inked on to the team sheet, i just wonder is there any way out of this?

I think after Saturday he needs a good kick up the áss.... he NEEDS to be told to track back after losing the ball....he just didn't seem ársed because he wasn't the focal point of our attacks and the impression I got was that he was having a little sulk....he needs to think of the team.

There were some bargains up front this year too, with Yilmaz going to Galatasaray for only 5 million euros, and Bas Dost moving to Wolfsburg for 7 million Euro's. Surely those two deals we could have nipped in.

Would like to see us test CSKA with a bid for Doumbia or Schalke for Huntelaar, especially the latter - our perfect option really.

The rumours on twitter last night is that we were looking at Huntelaar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I'd play this way

________Reina_____

__Skrtel__Agger_Enrique

________Lucas________

___Gerrard____Allen____

Johnson_________Sterling

_______Suarez________

__________Borini______

Coates for Enrique, Yep good idea, I forgot him, He is the forgotten man,,
    Play him more!

I see what you're trying to do their but that is a horrible side

this might work

reina

skrtel
    coates
    agger

johnson
    lucas
    allen
    downing

Gerrard

suarez
    carroll

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

So who wants to fill me in on why losing Segura is such a big deal? I mean with proper reasoning and not just drivel pulled off another website.

Would you not prefer to stick agger in the middle and stick enrique on the wing, more attack up that side.

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    So who wants to fill me in on why losing Segura is such a big deal? I mean with proper reasoning and not just drivel pulled off another website.

Without even going into Segura himself, Liverpool over the past few years have a very bad record when it comes to hiring effectively in all areas. I simply don't really trust LFC to employ better than they've lost in pretty much any area anymore. (this isn't a slight on Rodgers incidentally, before comments turn it that direction, I hope he'll prove to be an exception to what has been the rule.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What was so important about his role? I can understand people being annoyed if we lose Rodolfo but not Segura

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

mike65 wrote: »
    No idea why anyone would even dream Liverpool and Llorente would be a viable link up this summer. Need to think 10-12 million tops I think.

Try doubling that! I can't see him for less than £20M, would take the sale of Carroll to make that happen. And as with Sahin, he'll have other offers (apparently Juve interested), would he join us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

70th...

not looking forward to sitting with the UTD ones at work today

danniemcq wrote: »
    70th...

not looking forward to sitting with the UTD ones at work today

Essentially this is whats going to happen now when Liverpool lose. Ridicule from every angle. Im getting serious abuse from the ONE baggies fan in work....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Vicxas wrote: »
    Essentially this is whats going to happen now when Liverpool lose. Ridicule from every angle. Im getting serious abuse from the ONE baggies fan in work....

Just mention Trophy Cabinet to them, that should quieten them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dickerty wrote: »
    Try doubling that! I can't see him for less than £20M, would take the sale of Carroll to make that happen. And as with Sahin, he'll have other offers (apparently Juve interested), would he join us?

Mike was not suggesting that Llorente would be a £12m purchase.

Dickerty wrote: »

I meant the LFC budget is 10-12 million! Not Llorente, obviously.

ah Kess beat me to it (have people stopped reading posts properly, I'm sure half the anger on here is down to lack of reading glasses or bad phrasing)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Could we possibly attract Llorente?

I don't see what we could possibly offer Llorente that he doesn't have at Atletico

I'm assuming he wants to leave there to win trophies and play in the CL

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Could we possibly attract Llorente?

Doubt it. His stock is too high for either a richer club or a big club with CL footy not to go after him.

Plus good as he is, I think his price would be an inflated one.

Huntelaar would be cheaper imho, and a better finisher imho.

As always Welliton would be my choice if a big money striker was an option as he combines clinical finishing, blistering pace, strength, and excellent levels of skill.

Not sure we will get to see a big money striker of genuine quality arrive though as I think the purchase of Carroll may have made the owners a bit gun shy on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I see what you're trying to do their but that is a horrible side

this might work

reina

skrtel
    coates
    agger

johnson
    lucas
    allen
    downing

Gerrard

suarez
    carroll

What about this 11 vs Hearts.
    I think Carroll deserves a chance :)
    WBXMN.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That team would surely batter Hearts.

Battered Hearts. Sounds Scottish, right enough .

oVfRB.jpg

Reina, Agger & Allen don't seem to fit in that line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

oVfRB.jpg

Tbh I'd put Suarez on the right and Borini on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

Liverpool v hearts

Reina
    Johnson Skertle Coates Robinson
    Allen Lucas Gerrard
    Suarez Carroll Borini

With the city game sunday, Id put this team out for the city game

Hearts game

Swap shelvey in for gerrard, hendersson for lucas, downing for suarez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I really believe that after his showing against Leverkusen, Jack Robinson deserves a shot at the LB slot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We are playing a massive league match on Sunday. We can forget about a first choice team on Thursday imo

I'd go for this:

Reina

Kelly
    Coates
    Agger
    Robinson

Lucas
    Henderson
    Shelvey

Downing/Suarez
    Carroll
    Assaidi/Sterling

That's the best team I think that allows us to rest players whilst still able to get a win away from home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

We are playing a massive league match on Sunday. We can forget about a first choice team on Thursday imo

Yep. 100% agree.

Unfortunately we don't have the dept of squad, so let's get some promising talent into the squad and use the Europa for that .
    Pity Suso is away on Int duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Dunno if this has been posted already (it's early, I'm hungover and I can't be bothered checking):
    Midfielders Charlie Adam and Joe Cole have been told to find new clubs in the final stages of the current transfer window, according to a report in Monday’s Times newspaper.

Tony Barett writes in the report that Adam and Cole have been told that they are surplus to requirements at the club by new manager Brendan Rodgers.

Cole signed for the Reds on a free transfer two years ago, but was loaned out to Lille last season. He came on as a substitute in Liverpool’s 3-0 defeat to West Brom on Saturday, but was later taken off due to injury.

Adam signed from Blackpool last summer, but struggled to make an impact in his first season at the club under Kenny Dalglish. He was an unused substitute in the loss at the Hawthorns.

Everton have been linked with a move for Adam.

The summer transfer window closes on August 31st, with Liverpool still said to be in the chase for Arsenal’s Theo Walcott, Real Madrid’s Nuri Sahin and Fulham’s Clint Dempsey.

UPDATE: The Times have since changed their story to say that Joe Cole has not been told he can leave, but Adam has.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2012/08/charlie-adam-and-joe-cole-told-to-leave-liverpool-fc/

Brad jones in goals, Coates and robinson/kelly. And the *ahem* expendables in midfield.

We should still walk away with a comfortable win.

It was mentioned in the other thread (RIP - if you can). No real reaction to be honest - no one is exactly lining up to make the case for either (Spearing appears to be surplus as well according to one website). Someone will fall for the charms of Adam and his left foot wand I'm sure.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Brad jones in goals, Coates and robinson/kelly. And the *ahem* expendables in midfield.

We should still walk away with a comfortable win.
    Honestly, I never expect an easy win in these games, weakened team, away from home against a side that'll be out for a scalp - always unsure about these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

murpho999 wrote: »
    Reina, Agger & Allen don't seem to fit in that line up.

They do now :P
    rb2ck.jpg

Edit: Ah balls. I'm having a bad morning. I forgot about Agger banned
    OK I forgot about Sundays game. So what about the above team starting vs city (Carragher/Coates for Agger)
    I think Carroll deserves a chance tbh. I think he has been badly treated. I mean onSaturday, Joe Cole gets brought on before him :(.
    As much as I don't think Carroll is a player to suit our system the fact is we are stuck with him. We may as well use him until we get a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Jeez Pardew is a lucky man getting away with pushing the 4th official .
    It wasnt anything nasty or anything but if it was a player on the pitch I'm sure a charge would be announced.

Spot on.

Would expect a lot of non first teamers to be playing on Thursday along with Agger given he is banned for the City game.

Would expect Carroll, Robinson, Henderson, Adam, Spearing, Kelly, Coates and maybe even Pacheco to start or be on the bench come Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Topical......

Mike Marsh: The big interview

He is the Scouse heart of Brendan Rodgers' new coaching team – so we popped to Melwood to discover how Mike Marsh is adjusting to his new role in the spotlight.

As a player, Marsh was a talented creative midfielder and after graduating from the youth team went on to make more than 100 appearances in a red shirt before being sold, many say prematurely, to West Ham United in a swap deal for Julian Dicks in 1993.

After working at the Academy coaching the U16s and U18s during the past two seasons, a chance to work with the first team arrived when Brendan Rodgers invited the man from Kirkby on the pre-season tour of North America.

The new manager was looking for someone who knew the club inside and out and shared a passion for the Liver bird. Marsh was the man that fitted that criteria and after Rodgers offered him the role of first-team coach it was duly accepted.

In this exclusive chat with Marsh, the coach talks about his admiration for the new manager, his love of LFC and the progress of Raheem Sterling.

Mike, how did this move come about moving to Melwood from the Academy?

Initially it was due to the fact we had about 10 or 11 of the lads from the Academy training at Melwood due to the lads being away at the Euros. I went on the pre-season tour of North America and then on the way back the manager offered me the position.

What has the manager told you he wants from you?

He wants me to get involved as much as I can. I will work alongside the manager and Colin Pascoe and support them as best as I can.

The manager has said it is important for him to have people alongside him whose roots are in the city - how does that make you feel?

It makes me feel very proud. On my way into the interview I bumped into Phil Thompson who wished me all the best and told me to just do the best I can. I think it is important to have someone at the club who knows the history and what's expected.

What has the manager asked you about the history and tradition of the club?

He's asked me one or two questions but he's got a lot of knowledge about what's going on here so he doesn't really need much help on that.

He says he's from the same bottle as the people from Liverpool - would you go along with that?

Yes, you know people from Northern Ireland, Scotland, Geordies - we're similar type of people, aren't we? I can see where he's coming from.

What do you understand his methods and vision for Liverpool FC to be?

Pretty similar to when we were successful. He has come in and wants the team to play football, which is music to my ears, really. It is a similar style of football to when we were winning trophies. The mood is very good. Everyone is excited and everyone wants to impress the new manager. It's a fresh start and everyone is upbeat.

Several of the Academy squad were involved in the tour. How proud did that make you to see them out there?

It was good of the manager. I don't think it was necessary to take that amount of players but he wanted to have a look at them first hand. It was a great experience and it was great for me to see how well they handled themselves and conducted themselves in and around the place, as well as playing some really good stuff in the games.

How important do you think your connections with those lads and the other players at the Academy are going to be for Brendan Rodgers?

I think it will help the transition. It's unfortunate for ourselves that we are based over two sites so when they do come from Kirkby and train at Melwood the transition should be smoother, because they've got a familiar face in me if they need any questions answered.

They are all delighted for you at the Academy as well, aren't they?

Yes, I've had a lot of messages and well wishers and I've been a little bit overwhelmed with the good will I've had. I appreciate it.

What does it mean to players like Raheem Sterling, who you've worked with a lot - are they fully involved with the first team or do they rely on you for a bit of help?

Raheem is fully involved. He doesn't need any help and he's a confident enough lad. He just comes in and gets on with his training. If you didn't know who he was you would just think he's a regular member of the first-team squad, so he's doing really well.

He got his first goal for the first team against Bayer Leverkusen - that must have been pleasing?

I was delighted for him. He's worked really hard in training and on his finishing. We have seen him in the reserves and know he can score goals and the excellent work he's been putting in has paid off for him.

What do you think Raheem needs to improve going forward this season?

He can improve all aspects of his game - he's only 17. The manager has said he has improved the defensive responsibilities of his game and so on but there's lots of areas where he can improve. He knows that and knows he's not the finished article but he's working on it.

You are obviously full-time now at Melwood. Will you miss working with the youth team?

I will, yes, and I've got a great affinity with all of the players based in Kirkby. I've got a great relationship with them all, but hopefully if they progress then I'll be seeing a lot more of them.

Do you have managerial aspirations of your own at first-team level one day?

I had a discussion with the manager a couple of days ago on this and I would say at this stage of my career I want to be a coach. As for management, further down the line that's something for me to think about.

What does it mean to be a first-team coach at Liverpool FC - your club?

It means everything - words can't describe it. Everywhere else it's a job and working here for me is a dream come true. I'm delighted and I will give it the best possible chance I can to be successful.

Could you have ever imagined you would make this progression so quickly in your coaching career?

No, I didn't. I got the chance to coach the U18s pretty quickly after working with the U16s, which I didn't expect, so I jumped the queue there. I did alright at U18 level and obviously I must have impressed somebody. I've been given the opportunity to work with the first team by Brendan Rodgers and I intend to make the most of it.

With making the progression from a Liverpool player to a coach and now being involved again with the first team, is there anyone around the squad you see following a similar path to you?

Carra's an obvious choice because he's very knowledgeable and coming to that stage of his career where he might have to decide what he wants to do for the rest of his life. As for the other lads, I don't really know them well enough to say whether they will stay in football or go into another walk of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Kess73 wrote: »
    Spot on.

Would expect a lot of non first teamers to be playing on Thursday along with Agger given he is banned for the City game.

Would expect Carroll, Robinson, Henderson, Adam, Spearing, Kelly, Coates and maybe even Pacheco to start or be on the bench come Thursday.

I think you'll be disappointed then as i'd be very confident there will be at least 5 of the starting 11 starting on Thursday.

I'd also be surprised (and disappointed) if Pacheco was even on the bench, hopefully Robinson will be though at least.

tok9 wrote: »
    I think you'll be disappointed then as i'd be very confident there will be at least 5 of the starting 11 starting on Thursday.

I'd also be surprised (and disappointed) if Pacheco was even on the bench, hoepfully Robinson will be though at least.

Reread my post, I said I expected the names I listed either to start or be on the bench. There is still plenty of room for four or five first teamers to be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Leiva wrote: »
    Jeez Pardew is a lucky man getting away with pushing the 4th official .
    It wasnt anything nasty or anything but if it was a player on the pitch I'm sure a charge would be announced.

That was not a push it was nothing really even if a player did it he admitted it on TV after and apologised even went to official who said it was nothing. FA may still do something though

• Advertisement

That was not a push it was nothing really even if a player did it he admitted it on TV after and apologised even went to official who said it was nothing. FA may still do something though

Still think he could be in trouble.

I wasn't impressed with how he was apologising in interview whilst laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Kess73 wrote: »
    Reread my post, I said I expected the names I listed either to start or be on the bench. There is still plenty of room for four or five first teamers to be involved.

Fair enough although I think a lot of posters assume we'll field a very weakened team full of reserves and fringe players just because it's the Europa league but generally this never really happens. Sure 2 or 3 players who wouldn't normally start get a game but it's still the core of the first team playing.

I really hope Assaidi starts though. It's a perfect game to introduce him to the team and see what he can bring which hopefully it a place in the first team ahead of Downing.

Would it not make sense to field a stronger team against Hearts to give player more practice with Rodger's system and got more match fitness and sharpness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Could get berbatov off united for 5 mill or so. He can make the ball go between the two posts.
    Him getting fed by suarez would bee nice imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

cloptrop wrote: »
    Could get berbatov off united for 5 mill or so. He can make the ball go between the two posts.
    Him getting fed by suarez would bee nice imo.

For some reason this brings up some horrible imagery!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement