Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

cloptrop wrote: »
    Could get berbatov off united for 5 mill or so. He can make the ball go between the two posts.
    Him getting fed by suarez would bee nice imo.

If Carroll isn't Rogers type of player then I reckon it's hard to argue that Berba would fit the system tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

tok9 wrote: »
    Fair enough although I think a lot of posters assume we'll field a very weakened team full of reserves and fringe players just because it's the Europa league but generally this never really happens. Sure 2 or 3 players who wouldn't normally start get a game but it's still the core of the first team playing.

I really hope Assaidi starts though. It's a perfect game to introduce him to the team and see what he can bring which hopefully it a place in the first team ahead of Downing.

Would make sense to use Assaidi on Thursday, but I have a sneaky feeling that he might get thrown in at the deep end on Sunday, as part of a front three along with Borini and Suarez.

For Sunday, I would go with Suarez on the right, Borini in the centre, and Assaidi on the left. Just tell them to attack and interchange at will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

8-10 wrote: »
    If Carroll isn't Rogers type of player then I reckon it's hard to argue that Berba would fit the system tbh

They are two completely different players, so I am wondering why you say that?

For me Berbatov would be a sticky plaster, a classy one at that but he's not a long term replacement.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Would it not make sense to field a stronger team against Hearts to give player more practice with Rodger's system and got more match fitness and sharpness?

Weaker team away with a stronger team being played in the home leg makes more sense to me, given we have our first home game of the season against the incumbent league champions less than 72 hours later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Could get berbatov off united for 5 mill or so. He can make the ball go between the two posts.

Hes an excellent footballer. His only likeness to carroll is his height. Hes not just a big target man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

We are playing a massive league match on Sunday. We can forget about a first choice team on Thursday imo

And we have another big game after the 2nd leg the week after so he is going to have to play a strong team in one of those games.

I also think how Man City play will be good for the system the Rodgers is trying to get Liverpool to play, as City will not sit back and will come out and play, leaving Liverpool to counter attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any word if Agger is appealing the red card?

And we have another big game after the 2nd leg the week after so he is going to have to play a strong team in one of those games.

I also think how Man City play will be good for the system the Rodgers is trying to get Liverpool to play, as City will not sit back and will come out and play, leaving Liverpool to counter attack

Yes but there will be no travel time involved as the second leg is at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why post something like this when everyone knows that Utd and Liverpool just NEVER do business together?

Kess73 wrote: »

A trip to Edinburgh is not exactly draining is it?

I really don't see why top players can't play on a Thursday and Sunday once they don't get injured, fitness should not be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

A case could be made for Berba far more so then Carroll. I reckon he'd be a decent signing actually, but about as much chance of that happening as there is of signing Messi

Michael Owen anyone? Leaving aside the fact any descriptive term relating to him as an individual is likely to incur a ban, he can finish, he's free, and he'd sign on a pay as you play deal. At worst, he wouldn't be a bad option on the bench given the lack of finishers at the club. Beggars can't be choosers and all that

Why post something like this when everyone knows that Utd and Liverpool just NEVER do business together?
    Its not1990 liverpool are not uniteds rivals anymore. Let it go.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    A case could be made for Berba far more so then Carroll. I reckon he'd be a decent signing actually, but about as much chance of that happening as there is of signing Messi

Michael Owen anyone? Leaving aside the fact any descriptive term relating to him as an individual is likely to incur a ban, he can finish, he's free, and he'd sign on a pay as you play deal. At worst, he wouldn't be a bad option on the bench given the lack of finishers at the club. Beggars can't be choosers and all that

Michael Owen is finished at this level and only himself and English media believe otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I think that could change if things carry on as they are

For arguments sake, if Suarez were to want out tomorrow it would make far more sense for the club to let him go to Utd, then to either Spurs or Arsenal. Similarly, I'm sure Utd would be far happier to let the likes of Chico come to Liverpool rather then City or Chelsea

Do you remember how Fergie did everything to stop Heinze going to LFC?

Utd will never sell to LFC and vice versa. Always been that way.

Michael Owen is finished at this level and only himself and English media believe otherwise.

i don't even think the English Media believe otherwise at this stage !

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I think that could change if things carry on as they are

For arguments sake, if Suarez were to want out tomorrow it would make far more sense for the club to let him go to Utd, then to either Spurs or Arsenal. Similarly, I'm sure Utd would be far happier to let the likes of Chico come to Liverpool rather then City or Chelsea

Doubt it, when LFC were top dogs in the 80's and Utd were fighting off relegation, LFC never sold to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

WTF? Even Fergie has said there is no bigger rivalry. Its the biggest rivalry in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Vicxas wrote: »
    Striker, we need a striker. My christ we cant rely on Suarez if hes gonna be playing the way he did on saturday.

Amiable mentioned Sturridge, hasnt long left on his contract and if we add a Cavani or Hulk then he could easily be left go.

• Advertisement

I am pie wrote: »

Its like patting an old dog on the head and assuring that its not going to be put down.

[/Quote]
    Its not1990 liverpool are not uniteds rivals anymore. Let it go.[/Quote]

Fergie wouldn't sell Liverpool a virus,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yes they do, SSN & Sky News had Owen all over their coverage yesterday about his appearance on 'Goals on Sunday' where he said he's looking for a premiership club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So he gets to post the below:

Great success! :rolleyes:

The Berbatov / Owen stuff is top quality fishing really, hats off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Reckon we'll see a strong enough side vs Hearts with perhaps Coates, Henderson, Assaidi and Carroll playing

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So he gets to post the below:

Great success! :rolleyes:

The Berbatov / Owen stuff is top quality fishing really, hats off.

You're right Lloyd, I should have looked at the name and known better!

• Advertisement

United are looking to offload him . I dont see liverpool getting him as a problem. We sold tevez to city . Its strictly business.
    Spurs chelsea stoke sunderland and everton are all in tge market for strikers at the min aparantly.

United are looking to offload him . I dont see liverpool getting him as a problem. We sold tevez to city . Its strictly business.
    Spurs chelsea stoke sunderland and everton are all in tge market for strikers at the min aparantly.

Utd didn't 'own' Tevez to sell, he was on loan and he left. Do your research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

anyone else read that as time travel? :D

Dont think you had much of an option with Tevez, he left Utd to join City, so Utd were forced to sell him.

Anyway, we have enough lazy bastards in our squad, we dont need another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We need a striker but our focus seems to be further a field, not in England anyway.

Although there was a few rumours about an enquiry about Chico but nothing to trust worthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We sold tevez to city . Its strictly business.

Have to say, found the narrative after Tevez left Utd to be quite amusing. 'Fegie got rid', 'Fergie didn't want him', 'he's not that good anyway', 'he'll never win anything at City anyway'.

You didn't sell him. He moved on to pastures new.

Anyone wrote: »
    Dont think you had much of an option with Tevez, he left Utd to join City, so Utd were forced to sell him.

Anyway, we have enough lazy bastards in our squad, we dont need another.

Once again, Utd did not sell him to CIty.

Tevez was on loan at Utd. Was offered a full time contract, turned it down and joined City.

Utd had no control over it.

Yes they do, SSN & Sky News had Owen all over their coverage yesterday about his appearance on 'Goals on Sunday' where he said he's looking for a premiership club.

So, he said it on TV, and that means the media believe it ?

Hint - No. It doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hernandez would be useful as a finisher but he is not really trusted by ferguson it would seem. Rarely seems to start when united have everyone available.

Pie in the sky anyway.

So, he said it on TV, and that means the media believe it ?

Hint - No. It doesn't.

Well they kept repeating it all day.

Sure even Paul Merson (I know) was saying on Saturday that he is still a top class finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Liverpool midfielder Charlie Adam has responded to reports that he is surplus to requirements at Anfield by insisting he is determined to fight his way back into Reds manager Brendan Rodgers's plans.

"I am happy at Liverpool and why would I leave after a year? There is no point," Adam explained in the Metro.

"I am open enough to say I have had a conversation with the manager but for me I'm not going anywhere. I want to play this year and hopefully I get the opportunity to do that."

Adam has been linked to moves to Fulham, Everton and Stoke

Because ur fcuking not good enough :(

Once again, Utd did not sell him to CIty.

Tevez was on loan at Utd. Was offered a full time contract, turned it down and joined City.

Utd had no control over it.

Ok, I cant remember all the details, but we agree on one thing, he left, Utd wanted him to stay. So what claptrap posted was in essence completely wrong.

A trip to Edinburgh is not exactly draining is it?

I really don't see why top players can't play on a Thursday and Sunday once they don't get injured, fitness should not be an issue.

It would be a similar trip as travelling from Limerick to Belfast.

If the team goes by coach, then you are looking at about 4.5 hours each way not including the time getting on and off at both ends and the time that would have to be allowed in order to get there in plenty of time for the game.

There is no direct train between Liverpool and Edinburgh so if that option was taken then it means going from Liverpool to Preston or Wigan and then switching trains and doing the same on the return trip.

And forget about flying as there are no direct flights from John Lennon airport to Edinburgh. So flying involves travelling to Manc airport first, then flying from there, and having to stay overnight to get the flight back to Manchester the next day.

Have travelled between Edinburgh and Liverpool too many times for me not to see it as a pain in the ass trip.

A trip to Edinburgh adds (when travel to and from is combined) the bones of a day of travel time and prep that could go towards recovery time/fitness work etc.

Effectively it reduces the down time between games, and also increases the chance of little strains etc flaring up come Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Amiable mentioned Sturridge, hasnt long left on his contract and if we add a Cavani or Hulk then he could easily be left go.

From a personal point of view I would hate to see it, don't think a player annoys me as much to watch. Doesn't know how to pass and is fairly ineffective.

From a football point of view we already have Suarez being ineffective in front of goal but at least with the ability to set up others so it makes little sense to bring him in. I'd rather we followed Chelsea's plan and looked further afield.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We need a striker but our focus seems to be further a field, not in England anyway.

Although there was a few rumours about an enquiry about Chico but nothing to trust worthy.

Easy solution. I drive down to Stamford bridge before the transfer window ends. You meet me there. I will then transfer one Andy Carroll from the boot of my car to you.

You then place one Fernando Torres into my car boot. I then drive back to Liverpool.

Sorted. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It would be a similar trip as travelling from Limerick to Belfast.

If the team goes by coach, then you are looking at about 4.5 hours each way not including the time getting on and off at both ends and the time that would have to be allowed in order to get there in plenty of time for the game.

There is no direct train between Liverpool and Edinburgh so if that option was taken then it means going from Liverpool to Preston or Wigan and then switching trains and doing the same on the return trip.

And forget about flying as there are no direct flights from John Lennon airport to Edinburgh. So flying involves travelling to Manc airport first, then flying from there, and having to stay overnight to get the flight back to Manchester the next day.

Have travelled between Edinburgh and Liverpool too many times for me not to see it as a pain in the ass trip.

A trip to Edinburgh adds (when travel to and from is combined) the bones of a day of travel time and prep that could go towards recovery time/fitness work etc.

Effectively it reduces the down time between games, and also increases the chance of little strains etc flaring up come Sunday.

The squad travelling could probably charter a plane from the change they found in the ashtrays in their cars.

It would be a similar trip as travelling from Limerick to Belfast......

Kess, I don't think they travel on Ryanair or Eurolines bus.

Surely they'd charter a flight from Liverpool to Edinburgh?

So, Now that it looks like Sahin is going to Arsenal and theres no move on Dempsey, and we need a striker, who are we looking to get?

anyone have any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Llorente would be better off staying at Bilbao than going to Liverpool.

Vicxas wrote: »
    So, Now that it looks like Sahin is going to Arsenal and theres no move on Dempsey, and we need a striker, who are we looking to get?

anyone have any ideas?

The experts on twitter should know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

They finished 10th last season.
    He'd be better off going to a team in the CL which is probably what he'll do.

I'm sure he values your opinion just as much as we do Roger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Not sure has this been posted yet - wee Jay to Bolton on loan.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/08/20/bolton-wanderers-line-up-loan-move-for-liverpool-fc-s-jay-spearing-100252-31657031/

LIVERPOOL FC have received an approach from Bolton Wanderers to sign Jay Spearing on a season-long loan.

The 23-year-old Academy graduate failed to make the 18-man squad for the Reds' defeat to West Brom on Saturday and faces an uncertain future at Anfield.

Kess, I don't think they travel on Ryanair or Eurolines bus.

Surely they'd charter a flight from Liverpool to Edinburgh?

Funny you mention Ryanair because the club has used another budget airline in Easyjet for UK flights a number of times in the past.

Even for London trips, just slightly shorter than a trip to Edinburgh, the team tends to travel by road or rail more often than not. When we played Celtic in Europe some years back the method of transport was coach as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

How did everyone's Fantasy Footy team do :cool:
    I got 12 pts and I'm 5th bottom :(

xKslt.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement