Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting USB devices to iPads

• 20-08-2012 4:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hey,

I just bought a hard drive recently and in no space of time I've gathered a couple of hundred GB's of movies etc. I have now decided I want a new iPad but have been informed that they have no USB port. I've heard I can get a camera connection kit and that will have a USB port but I've also been told that they may not support my hard drive. Can anyone help me? A couple of times this last week I've been into the shops just playing with the iPad and I want one badly but its pretty pointless if I can't play the movies on it.

All suggestions welcome. Oh and also, are other tablets the same as the iPad re connecting to USB devices?

Cheers much

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I assume they are in avi format?

you can copy to the ipad, but via the pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

I assume they are in avi format?

you can copy to the ipad, but via the pc

Yeah they're in avi. So I have to go via the pc? That's my problem. I've got a laptop but its a bag of **** and I'd be much happier if I could just stick the hard drive into the iPad and be done with it. Sigh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

'fraid it will have to be transferred via a pc/laptop.

ipad's do not connect with usb devices at all, it's one of their main selling points for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I have a USB adapter for my iPad, you can get them in the apple store. It comes in a pack with an sd card reader. I've used the card reader to import photos but haven't used the USB one so I don't know if it will do what you want.

ipad's do not connect with usb devices at all, it's one of their main selling points for me.

:eek: say what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

:eek: say what?
    an ipad is a content consuming device for me, i consume media. if i have photos/videos etc. they go to my media server and shared out to all my devices if and when they need to.

i have never had a genuine scenario where i've gone "**** i wish this ipad had a usb connection".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

an ipad is a content consuming device for me, i consume media. if i have photos/videos etc. they go to my media server and shared out to all my devices if and when they need to.

i have never had a genuine scenario where i've gone "**** i wish this ipad had a usb connection".

I've also never thought that, but i also have a media server. As soon as my ipad connects to the home WiFi its like it has 2TB of storage.

All my movies are on it and i can stream HD content easily, i can also download them very quickly for when i'm travelling.

Basically it gets around the need for a USB port as we can stream everything over wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I've also never thought that, but i also have a media server. As soon as my ipad connects to the home WiFi its like it has 2TB of storage.

All my movies are on it and i can stream HD content easily, i can also download them very quickly for when i'm travelling.

Basically it gets around the need for a USB port as we can stream everything over wifi

what kit do you need for this?

crazyderk wrote: »
    what kit do you need for this?

you can download media server software to your laptop and it can run off that (But you need your laptop on for it to work)

What I have is a MyBookLive .

Western Digital have their own apps but they are useless.

I then stream my videos using an app called GoodPlayer (really good for watching videos on an ipad) It can also play Mp3s

Everything else (Documents, PDF's) i can read in GoodReader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

are other tablets the same as the iPad re connecting to USB devices?
    This is one of those special little 'quirks' that are specific to Apple.

The cheapest PoS tablet running any version of Android from the most unheard of Chinese knock-off maker has a full USB2.0 host interface.

(Somebody is probably going to link a €50 tablet now that doesn't have one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Gurgle wrote: »
    This is one of those special little 'quirks' that are specific to Apple.

The cheapest PoS tablet running any version of Android from the most unheard of Chinese knock-off maker has a full USB2.0 host interface.

(Somebody is probably going to link a €50 tablet now that doesn't have one)

quoted and emboldened for emphasis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

quoted and emboldened for emphasis.
    Did this read as though only the cheap PoS tablets have something so working class as a USB port?

I guess I should have been clearer.

Even the cheapest PoS....

So here's the latest...

I bought the iPad but am having trouble (probably of my own making) getting movies or tv shows transferred with iTunes. I've been told I need to convert from .avi but am unsure how to do this. So I was told to download handbrake. I did that but my screen resolution was wrong. Mine is only 1020 x 1060 and it needed to be 1020 x 1080 or something along those lines anyway. Can anyone just give me a simple way of transferring something from the hard drive into iTunes on the ail Samsung.

All help greatly appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

'fraid it will have to be transferred via a pc/laptop.

That's just nonsense. We all know how great apple are, no need for this.

OP: you could add the external drive to itunes on a computer and home share the data with the Ipad. This is of course a pretty stationary solution.

A usb on the ipad would be a great addition for traveling, you could store your movies / music on an external drive and not run the risk of maxing out the ipad memory.

So here's the latest...

I bought the iPad but am having trouble (probably of my own making) getting movies or tv shows transferred with iTunes. I've been told I need to convert from .avi but am unsure how to do this. So I was told to download handbrake. I did that but my screen resolution was wrong. Mine is only 1020 x 1060 and it needed to be 1020 x 1080 or something along those lines anyway. Can anyone just give me a simple way of transferring something from the hard drive into iTunes on the ail Samsung.

All help greatly appreciated

Did that stop the conversion?

T-K-O wrote: »
    That's just nonsense. We all know how great apple are, no need for this.

OP: you could add the external drive to itunes on a computer and home share the data with the Ipad. This is of course a pretty stationary solution.

A usb on the ipad would be a great addition for traveling, you could store your movies / music on an external drive and not run the risk of maxing out the ipad memory.

Ok....at the risk of sounding dumb... How do I do that? I've tried to get the movies from the hard drive to iTunes but with no luck. Again, sounding dumb....HELP!!!!

Did that stop the conversion?

Yeah it said I couldn't use handbrake because of it

Yeah it said I couldn't use handbrake because of it

What format are the original files, make sure that handbrake can handle the original format, in saying that I use handbrake all the time and it never fails me.

Also at what stage does handbrake fail?

What format are the original files, make sure that handbrake can handle the original format, in saying that I use handbrake all the time and it never fails me.

Also at what stage does handbrake fail?

They're just avi. Handbrake won't even run because the screen resolution is wrong.

They're just avi. Handbrake won't even run because the screen resolution is wrong.

Ah are you using a netbook?

• Advertisement

Ah are you using a netbook?

Yes...this sounds ominous...

Yes...this sounds ominous...

This is exactly why the ipad needs a USB. Dont get me wrong my apt is like an apple store but this type of crap drives me mad.

Handbrake does not support netbooks / lower end screen resolution.

You could try this..

http://www.winxdvd.com/avi-to-mp4/

This is exactly why the ipad needs a USB. Dont get me wrong my apt is like an apple store but this type of crap drives me mad.

Handbrake does not support netbooks / lower end screen resolution.

You could try this..

http://www.winxdvd.com/avi-to-mp4/

Go on ya wee ledgebag!!!!! We have liftoff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Dont convert them , thats a complete and utter waste of time , especially if you have lots of movies.

Buy one of these cheap apps

AVplayerHD

http://tech2.in.com/reviews/ios/av-player-hd/208862

Buzz player HD
    http://iphoneblogr.com/2011/09/buzz-player-hd-ipad-media-streaming-application-app-store-review/

Note you need the "HD" version to take advantage of the bigger screen on the ipad , the non HD versions are meant for the iphone.

Either of those apps will play any content you have in the format it is in , without you having to waste time converting to itunes format , either of those players will also access content on your network , be that your pc or a dedicated nas device.

Content can be transferred to the ipad directly as is via the apps option in itunes.

By the way , I have the camera connection kit with the USB adaptor , its for cameras , it fully expects to see camera type folders on the device attached and if it doesn't it wont read it , the only other thing Ive managed to get working with it is a USB flash drive , and even then , all it did was find photos , and automatically pull them into the photos app on the ipad , it wont deal with any other file types. So that kit is useless for anything other than cameras.

No big deal though , the above apps were less than a fiver the last time I looked and they play everything , the camara connection kit is 24 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 farhan.a

you can download AV Player HD to watch .avi movies. to connect the hard drive you have to get the camera connection kit and jailbreak the ipad.

After jailbreaking install ifile from cydia, connect the hard drive and there you go

Go on ya wee ledgebag!!!!! We have liftoff...

Happy converting... it can be pain converting all the files but having all your media in itunes has benefits. Especially if you bought an apple tv.

Anyway glad you got it working

you can download media server software to your laptop and it can run off that (But you need your laptop on for it to work)

What I have is a MyBookLive .

Western Digital have their own apps but they are useless.

I then stream my videos using an app called GoodPlayer (really good for watching videos on an ipad) It can also play Mp3s

Everything else (Documents, PDF's) i can read in GoodReader

Can you login to MybookLive from a remote location and if so would that mean a static WAN IP?

Can you login to MybookLive from a remote location and if so would that mean a static WAN IP?

Short answer , Yes and Yes. I've logged into it before but the speeds aren't great compared to using it on your local network

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maghenderson

here a site that can do all
    http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/
    enjoy

• Advertisement

Short answer , Yes and Yes. I've logged into it before but the speeds aren't great compared to using it on your local network

Shame I've a 50 meg line but no option for a static ip

Advertisement