Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton v Manchester United Aug 20th Goodison Park

• 20-08-2012 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭

Qb2fXDON_original.jpg
    Thought there would be a thread for this already.
    Can't wait to see how we will line up for this.Will RVP start?Will Kagawa start?
    Go forth and discuss :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

8-5 to United.

I think RVP and Kagawa will both start.

Cant wait for this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think we'll start like this.....
    De Gea
    Rafael Carrick Vidic Evra
    Cleverley Scholes
    Valencia Rooney Nani
    Welbeck

but finish with this...
    De Gea
    Cleverley Scholes
    Nani Rooney Kagawa
    v.Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

3-1 to united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Lets hope we play to the end this time and not have a 3-1 lead going into injury time and draw 3 - 3 :(

I'm going with a 3 - 0 Win
    Goals by Nani / Rooney and of course RVP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Anyone reckon we should give Wooton a shot tonight as rio is injured? He impressed me during preseason.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Anyone reckon we should give Wooton a shot tonight as rio is injured? He impressed me during preseason.

I wouldn't mind him getting a shot, just can't see SAF giving him his first start away to Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Can't wait, seems forever since that last day of the season and the "summer" we have had.

I wouldn't mind him getting a shot, just can't see SAF giving him his first start away to Everton.

Yeah that's what I was thinking but you never know with fergie these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My pessimistic side is saying Everton win - unless Fellaini is out as some have rumoured.

United will be too weak in defence and midfield to put up the fight required.

Reckon United will line up:

De Gea
    Rafael-Carrick-Vidic-Evra
    Cleveley-Scholes-Anderson
    Valencia
    Nani
    Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

My pessimistic side is saying Everton win - unless Fellaini is out as some have rumoured.

United will be too weak in defence and midfield to put up the fight required.

Reckon United will line up:

De Gea
    Cleveley-Scholes-Anderson
    Valencia
    Nani
    Rooney

Do you even have an optimistic side?:pac:

Id give Wooton a shot at CB.

We need to put manners on this shower after last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Goodison is never an easy place to go to any time of the season but I think United will come flying out of the blocks an take 3 points here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

3-1 United.

De Gea
    --Rafael-Carrick-Vidic-Evra
    Cleveley-Scholes
    Valencia---Kagawa---Nani
    Rooney

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

de gea

valencia carrick vidic evra

scholes clev ando

nani rooney welbeck

subs
    lind, rafael, giggs, rvp, chicharito, young, kagawa.

2-0 to utd.

crazy strength in attacking positions. when we get defenders fit will be unreal competition for places on the bench nevermind the first 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Really hope we get to see both kagawa and rvp in action even though there's a good chance neither will start.

This is always a tough place to go and nothing comes easy here but everyone seems positive and raring to go, so I think we'll kick off the season with a win here. I can see goals in this one, I'll go with 3-1 to utd with a debut goal from rvp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Surely Shinji has to start, can't see a player of his quality having trouble adapting! None of this easing him in bs fergie please.

is it that obvious he's in my FF team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Can't see either Van Persie or Kagawa starting to be honest.

Usual line-up, except Carrick and Valencia in defence and late cameo's from both the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Kagawa will start. Fergie loves showing off the new signings. RVP is different as he barely had a pre-season. He may be eased in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Does Ferguson not usually leave Rooney out at Goodison, in recent years any way

Really hope kag starts today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Goodison is always a hard place to go! A scrappy 1-0 from a Tony Hibbert OG would do me. Anyone else feel Rooney won't start?

Valencia----Kagawa
    Nani

RVP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Does Ferguson not usually leave Rooney out at Goodison, in recent years any way
    He only ever done that once, but it was around the same time Rooney was acting the bollocks, so that was seen within reason. I can't see why he shouldn't play today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

ill go 4-4-2

----ddg
    Raf, vidic carrick evra

Valencia Scholes Anderson Nani

--Roo RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Id like to see this but there's no chance of it id say

. DDG
    Valencia-Cleverley-Scholes-Kagawa
    Rooney-RVP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

4-0 United. That'll learn em for costing us the league :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

DB21 wrote: »
    4-0 United. That'll learn em for costing us the league :P

I'm sure Moyes has already been severely reprimanded by the LMA for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

If Fellaini is out I can see Utd getting a win..... Hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Everton 0-2 Utd would be my prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Our defensive problems really is a load of bollix at the start of the season. Tough one to call tonight. Obviously the defence will look weak if, which seems likely, Carrick plays at CB. The only saving grace is that Vidic is back and that may be enough to see us through. I`d certainly have a little more confidence in a Vidic Carrick partnership than a Ferdinand Carrick partnership. It still leave us extremely vunerable at the back though.

I`d expect Rooney to start up front on his own with 3 in midfield whoever they might be. I certainly dont think we will see Scholes Cleverley and Kagawa filling those 2 positions.

.....................De Gea..............................
    Rafael........Vidic........Carrick.......... Evra
    Valencia Cleverley Anderson Kagawa Nani
    .....................Rooney...........................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Four center halves out injured before a ball is even kicked, extremely frustrating. Hoping for a better season regarding our horrendous injury problems last year already seeming shaky.

I'd still reckon we should have enough to come away with 3 points tonight. No more leaving Pienaar and Jelavic completely unmarked in front of goal lads.

Still having nightmares from that 4-4 disaster.

Everton 1-2 United
    Jelavic Rooney, Kagawa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I can see Kagawa starting left, with him drifting into midfield at times and Rooney coming wide. Wellbeck up front and Valencia on the right. Van persie on after 65 mins or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Front four of Nani left, Kag playing off Rooney and Val right imo. Play to our strengths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I think it's going to be a tight affair. Goodison is a tough place to go and Everton can usually keep the scoreline low at home. It's not beyond United to get a few goals but they'll have to be really playing well to do it.

I'm hoping Everton do the same as the last few years and don't start their season until mid September sometime. This could possibly be the best time to go to Goodison!

The optimist in me says 1-2 United.

Don't think Van Persie will start (though he will come on) while I think Kagawa and Cleverley both deserve to.

Predicted line up (Fergie does love 4-5-1 when playing away)

200812120509.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Ferdiand, Evans, Jones and Smalling all injured according to Andy Lewis. So Vidic and Carrick CBs.

Howard
    Hibbert Distin Jags Baines

Felli Gibson

Osman Naismith Pienaar

Jelavic

I'd like to see that line up but imagine Neville will start in the midfield with felli pushing up and naismith starting as a sub. I think a score draw will be a solid result. United are out for blood and see us as one of the reasons they are not champions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

If Carrick is playing centre half, I can't see RVP starting.

Carrick's our "defensive midfielder" so if he's not there, I suspect that Fergie will go with a three man midfield of Cleverley Scholes and Kagawa (with Kagawa more advanced).

RVP's played what, 20 mins of football since the Euros? Hard to see him being thrown in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Everybody's predicting 3-1 or 2-0 here. Not to be a downer, but this is traditionally a very tough game, and has the potential to be a lot tighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Sacramento wrote: »
    Don't think Van Persie will start (though he will come on) while I think Kagawa and Cleverley both deserve to.

Predicted line up (Fergie does love 4-5-1 when playing away)

200812120509.png

I'd see this starting 11 aswell but with Scholes in instead of Anderson.

I'd see this starting 11 aswell but with Scholes in instead of Anderson.

Anderson gives more mobility and better tackling in midfield than Scholes, while Cleverley is more match fit than most in the squad, I'd expect Scholes on the bench but he could play beside Anderson instead. Cleverley and Scholes together is a bad move, they offer very little in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Voltwad wrote: »
    Ferdiand, Evans, Jones and Smalling all injured according to Andy Lewis. So Vidic and Carrick CBs.

Howard
    Hibbert Distin Jags Baines

Felli Gibson

Osman Naismith Pienaar

Jelavic

I'd like to see that line up but imagine Neville will start in the midfield with felli pushing up and naismith starting as a sub. I think a score draw will be a solid result. United are out for blood and see us as one of the reasons they are not champions.

Are Fellaini and Gibson both fit to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

shrewdness wrote: »
    Fellaini trained yesterday, he'll likely start even if he's not 100%. Gibson is more 50/50.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

I really cant see anything special about Cleverly, he looks very ordinary to me. Utd's lack of creativity in midfield will hinder them again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mont wrote: »
    I really cant see anything special about Cleverly, he looks very ordinary to me. Utd's lack of creativity in midfield will hinder them again this season.

Which games did you see him in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cleverley is gonna show himself to be a quality player this season. Not as good on the ball as the very best, clearly, but his use of the ball and movement are superb.

As for creativity - I do think Cleverley will help here but Kagawa is going to be a freaking star for United in this regard, quality player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭leon76

Do you even have an optimistic side?:pac:

Id give Wooton a shot at CB.

We need to put manners on this shower after last season.

Ya we took the league of yee. Fancy we get a draw tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

shrewdness wrote: »

We don't know. Still no word AFAIK. - Seems they are fit, or at least Moyes thinks so.

Can't wait, come on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

We never get it easy away to Everton. 1-1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

He was superb for England last week (so much so that the normally conservative Roy Keane actually singled him out for high praise).

I think that Cleverley will do very well this season.

And as other posters have pointed out, Kagawa will add a lot to the creativity side of things. Plus Rooney will be dropping in there more often with RVP in the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

De Gea
    Valencia Cleverly Scholes Welbeck
    Kagawa
    Rooney

Never easy to win at Goodison, hoping united will be up for it because its the first day of the season and win. Predicting a 2-1 win, Rooney & Kagawa for United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

leon76 wrote: »
    Ya we took the league of yee. Fancy we get a draw tonight.

City played yesterday.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

If RVP doesn't start I'd like to see Welbeck score. Would be great to see RVP score when he does come on. Maybe two! :)

Also be great if Rooney scored. Do his head good.
    Maybe Kagawa as well. Would be a dream start.
    And Nani. Would be a great start to the season for him.

That's it (lets not be greedy). Valencia can get a few assists. As can Cleverly/Anderson.

Clean sheet for De Gea.

Ta.

• Advertisement
Advertisement