Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton v Manchester United Aug 20th Goodison Park

1101112131416»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Only seen the second half, Hair Ball was awesome, united were very poor.
    So much of the time they get the ball centrally and then pass it to the wings i mean come on lads try something different now and then especially against a defense that is winning absolutely everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Well I can only congratulate Everton on a brilliant performance and Fellani...just superb. Rooney looks very unfit and sluggish Nani was just awful tonight every ball we put into the box just came back out unchallenged. Very frustrating losing our 1st game but not the end of the world, Everton were well worth their win just roll on Saturday now we need a response at home to Fulham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Poor performance by United but I fully expect them to be challenging come the end of the season.

Good tactical substitution by Moyes. Bringing on Coleman in front of Hibbert was a real pain in the arse for united at that late stage.

Baines and Fellaini both had very good games. I think both players would make it into United's first team.

I hope this season, like last, will have plenty of twists and turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Delighted with our performance. Fellaini immense and our back 4 continuing where they left off last season, even without Heitinga playing. Moyes got the tactics spot on, although I didn't think United were at 100%

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Just a little reminder before I go. In arguably our greatest season since 99, 07/08 in our first 3 games we had the miserly sum of 2 points, so calm the f**k down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

double GG wrote: »
    Just a little reminder before I go. In arguably our greatest season since 99, 07/08 in our first 3 games we had the miserly sum of 2 points, so calm the f**k down!

So your saying DONT take Fergie out and shoot him? Ok, someone get on the phone quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Could be a pyrrhic victory for Everton if Fellaini's performance attracts the attention of some Arab or Russian Billionaire.

The transfer window should really close before the first day of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The main thing United were lacking was a defensive presence in midfield. Scholes has no legs, Cleverly isn't a defensive player at all. If Carrick or even Anderson for the whole 2nd half were in midfield the Everton players wouldn't have had so much time to play those long balls to Fellaini. Everton won playing long ball but United continued to stand off them in the middle of the park and allow it.

In attack it was far too sluggish and worst of all rigid. Kagawa was at the centre of everything good. Rooney, Nani and Welbeck just stayed static to their positions the entire time and the only time there was any threat was when Clev and Kagawa linked up and played a decent ball through for the forwards. Fergie needs to buck up his ideas fast. He clearly didn't change anything tactically from last season and that is just ridiculous.

A bunch of bad tactical decisions from Fergie too. His reluctance to change things is a huge handicap to United and you wouldn't see Mourinho or Guardiola stand by and watch after Everton took the lead for over 10 mins before making a useless change. Anderson should have been the first on, and for Scholes. A little bit of energy in midfield would have worked wonders, but everything was kept the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Thanks Moyesy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Thanks Moyesy :D

We'll beat you as well. City is our easiest game of the season :D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

'tis great to have the football back. The most excited I've been for a while. Wonder how long it'll last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Still no sign of Ferguson giving post-match interview ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Hmmm. Positives for United a good show for Kagawa, good saves from DeGea. Not having to worry about going the season unbeaten(although that's stretching it).

Too many negs to list them all. Valencia at right back wasting a real threat, poor show from Rooney & Nani. Defence hardly winning a ball against an admittedly excellent Fellaini, whether in the air or to foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

where's x in the city when you need him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Is it ever possible to question fergusons position? Say he ends up with 10 points in the middle of October?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Neeson wrote: »
    Is it ever possible to question fergusons position? Say he ends up with 10 points in the middle of October?

Well then ill be looking for the 4 horsemen outside my window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Neeson wrote: »
    Is it ever possible to question fergusons position?

When Utd stop winning, people will start questioning the motives behind his continuing support of the Glaziers, and justifiably so I would think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

And Ferguson admitted his side failed to cope with Toffees forward Fellaini, adding: "Fellaini is a handful: he is a big, tall, gangly lad and they just lumped the ball forward to him, that's all they did. "

I think you'll find they did a lot more than that for much of the match, Mr Ferguson. Very bitter comment that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

eigrod wrote: »
    And Ferguson admitted his side failed to cope with Toffees forward Fellaini, adding: "Fellaini is a handful: he is a big, tall, gangly lad and they just lumped the ball forward to him, that's all they did. "

I think you'll find they did a lot more than that for much of the match, Mr Ferguson. Very bitter comment that.

Moyes must have been discommunicated from the Ferguson circle for the grave sin his side committed last season,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

eigrod wrote: »

If that's all Everton did then why didn't they mark him out of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Haven't a clue but it was the dominant feature of the game. he won an inordinate amount of headers against Carrick. He came up against Vidic once or twice and lost out.

As I said in the United thread, I can see Fergie playing a backline comprising of Smalling, Evans, Vidic and Evra next time they play Everton, fitness depending of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Did anyone else think Vidic looked remarkably like Wes Brown?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Did anyone else think Vidic looked remarkably like Wes Brown?

he looked very thin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

he looked very thin?

Very oddly tanned with what looked like ginger hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

he looked very thin?

He seems to have lost all his muscle mass, I mean he was never fat, but he looks thin all right, and not a good thin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

o-ANDERSON-570.jpg?4

Some poor kitman is going to get sacked this morning. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

GavRedKing wrote: »

Albert Morgan won't be sacked, Mike Phelan will be. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Albert Morgan won't be sacked, Mike Phelan will be. :pac:

Poor Mike Phelan. :(

Its not like its a difficult name to spell either, which makes it even funnier. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

This thread made for some painful reading. Even after explaining the chants numerous times there's still people piping up about it. Regardless, every club has it's morons and it's a disgrace when stuff like Hillsborough was brought into this discussion, and for no reason other than people not having a clue. I expect to see the same people condemn those singing about Munich in the coming months to show their consistency. I haven't posted in here in a long time because of some people here trying to take some moral high ground and back-tracking when it comes to their own club's set of idiotic fans.

Man United were second best last night. Nobody has denied that. Fellaini was unplayable yet again. He's a real thorn and a pain to deal with.

For Man United Kagawa and De Gea were exceptional and they still have positives to take out of the game. I can't recall many times that Kagawa didn't give the ball away. He's so delicate with the ball at his feet and it's great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

if we were allowed keep our better players, rooney, arteta, rodwell, lescott etc. we would consistently be challenging for a top 4 spot - Moyes is a miracle worker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

GavRedKing wrote: »
    o-ANDERSON-570.jpg?4

Yes quite embarrassing for him alright, done the same a few years back leaving the 'H' out of Beckham in a Charity Sheild game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yes quite embarrassing for him alright, done the same a few years back leaving the 'H' out of Beckham in a Charity Sheild game.

He's not the only one to have it happen to him this week:

404090_433759353342580_1688600247_n.jpg

Advertisement