Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance advice

Options
  • 20-08-2012 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi there, hope somebody can offer me some reasonable advice to sort out this mess.

My girlfriend took out insurance nearly 4 weeks ago for her car insurance which was renewing whilst we were away in holidays. It has come into effect within the last two days.

Over the phone she disclosed the details of an accident I had in dec 2010 as she wants me named driver. The accident was third party at fault, and it was claimed through my insurance and counter claimed and I haven't had any problems. Was settled for €1000 against third party.

They said ok that's fine etc..... So she paid them the money. She got the form out and no details of this, so just to make sure, she rang them and they changed there tune. Said they didn't want me in the policy as Id had the accident and wanted me off and wanted another €60 or something.

Basically, as the policy only kicked in 2 days ago, can she cancel without penalty and get the money back and go elsewhere.

Lots of communication about this has happened over the course of our holiday and we are getting pretty sick of their customer service to be honest. They just want money and won't send the disc.

Hoping somebody can help?

Thanks,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hwfs.ie

I think you have 14 days to cancel the policy, they may charge you a small fee for the time you have been on cover.

EDIT: no it looks like the 14 days is a cooling off period and they will cancel policy from start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭Corvo

Yes, the "cooling off period" can be availed of here.

Check the market first then tell them to shove it. Plenty of places will take the business and if this is their customer service at inception (when everything should be grand and dandy!), imagine what it would be like if a claim came about.

Do you mind revealing which company it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

Yes, the "cooling off period" can be availed of here.

Check the market first then tell them to shove it. Plenty of places will take the business and if this is their customer service at inception (when everything should be grand and dandy!), imagine what it would be like if a claim came about.

Do you mind revealing which company it was?

She just went with the because she was told they'd charge her €50 or so, so she won't ever make that mistake again. I'm
    Now not insured on her vehicle which is ridiculous and may limit us during the year.

Course not, I'll be glad to let you know that it's chill.ie, I am surprised tho that the underwriter is Aviva. I thought they'd have more sense.

Basically if a truck hits you from behind when you're stationary on a road waiting to turn right, aviva doesn't want you !

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Bear in mind that any use of a "cooling off period" results in your policy being cancelled from the date it was originally taken out. Meaning that your girlfriend would have had no cover for that period.

They didnt want you on the policy, they wanted you off and wanted another 60 or something? No offence but you are a little short on the specifics. What reason did they give?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭Corvo

She just went with the because she was told they'd charge her €50 or so, so she won't ever make that mistake again. I'm
    Now not insured on her vehicle which is ridiculous and may limit us during the year.

Course not, I'll be glad to let you know that it's chill.ie, I am surprised tho that the underwriter is Aviva. I thought they'd have more sense.

Basically if a truck hits you from behind when you're stationary on a road waiting to turn right, aviva doesn't want you !

Thanks guys

That's madness really. Accidents happen and when you are on the "receiving" end as such, it should be even further in your favor.

I would try a more established broker, maybe someone local who would be happy to throw a bit of work into it. As far as insurance matters goes, this is a pretty normal situation, one that any experienced broker will have come across hundreds of times and they shouldn't have any bother getting the cover.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

I'd write a formal complaint to whoever is named on the policy booklet to handle complaints.

You are an innocent accident victim, not the cause of the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

Thanks for all the replies, and apologies for no sooner update.

Well my gf went with them and has said that shed never deal with them again. Tbh i'll be advising EVERYBODY to never deal with chill.ie again. Absolute disgrace imo, and have left us kind of high and dry over the fact that a truck decided to smash into my car and write it off.

My gf is from the country, which now means when we take her car, I am only obliged to drive DOC under third party only if we need to be somewhere and she is unable to drive for some reason.

Anyway, we live and learn.

Thanks,
    Tom

Advertisement