Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people get upset over a celebrities death.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Deaths of celebrities/famous people is a very profitable business hence the media going overboard with such as the death of Princess Di and Michael Jackson. The reality they are just another person like me and you and we wouldnt get upset about their passing if it wasnt for the intense media and marketing campaigns that these people were subjected to. There is nothing wrong about being saddened by the death of another human being but I wont become upset about such an event and shed tears just because a Murdoch newspaper blows it up in my face telling me I should break down and cry like a baby in exchange for 90 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It doesn't normalize drug use for the uneducated at all...

Take Gerry Ryan as a case in point. How many of the mammies knew he was heavy cocaine user before he died? After his death we all got to hear about his heart being scarred from years of years of cocaine abuse. I think these deaths just re-enforce the drugs are bad, m'kay argument.
    Well that is exactly what I mean by being normalised. They re-enforce the "jaysus when you think about it most people abuse drugs, why should legality be such a big deal" argument.

The other poster had said
    If a normal person died from these you'd call them scumbag drug taking knackers
    So now when the mammy hears of a guy dying from cocaine she might not automatically think of a scumbag drug taking knacker. She is now more likely to consider that he could have been a respectable otherwise law abiding citizen who was a benefit to the community (please leave out any snide comments about Gerry Ryan).

Just like if you hear somebody died of liver failure/cancer related to drink you do not automatically think they must have been degenerate winos and a menace to society.

Has anyone ever seen World's Greatest Dad by Bobcat Goldwaith? It stars Robin Williams who's son is a complete and utter asshole and nobody likes him and is more or less about how people are practically made saints posthumously. It's pretty much the perfect allegory for how we see celebrity lifestyle; when Jade Goody was alive, she was a racist bigot (no other way about it), but then she died and suddenly that's forgotten. It's something I can never understand.

With regards to the likes of Tony Scott - it's more shocking when their death is as public and as sad as theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I am above the wailing classes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Yeah it was a surprise but why get upset, did you know him or love him?

You don't need to know or love someone to get upset if they die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

One public death that got to me and Im still quite angry about was Dr David kelly. Even though he wasnt a celebrity, he was at the centre of an orchestrated media storm, and here was a good, honest man hounded to suicide by unscrupulous media and public officals- simply because he dared to tell the truth. He was left hung out to dry and humiliated by the British govt and put under so much pressure that he had to take his own life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

People idolise celebrities. For example I dont think it is strange if a fan of Newcastle/Bolton cried after hearing of Gary Speeds suicide. Because he was a hero to them and was part of happy memories.

The same for a fan of Michael Jackson etc.

We might not know them personally but celebrities can make us happy, and their death in turn can make us sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Bradidup wrote: »
    I used to get upset over the death of celebrities but not any more. Most seem to spend their whole lives serving their own bellies and would have little or no respect for God who is the creator and maker of all things.

Those that have died fron drug overdoses and drunken orgies like so many in the 27 club have dug their own graves and will pay the price on judgement day.

best laugh I've had today, cheers for that :pac:

It would depend on the person and how much of an interest you have in their work tbh, there's definitely some actors or directors who once they die it'd be sad to think there won't be anymore new films by a certain director or music by a particular musician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

People idolise celebrities. For example I dont think it is strange if a fan of Newcastle/Bolton cried after hearing of Gary Speeds suicide. Because he was a hero to them and was part of happy memories.

The same for a fan of Michael Jackson etc.

We might not know them personally but celebrities can make us happy, and their death in turn can make us sad.
    To be honest I'm not a soccer fan at all and never heard of Gary Speed until he died, and found myself very saddened by his death! Why was i more upset for gary speed and little jimmy murphy from the next village??? Because I could read about Gary Speed in the paper....

• Advertisement
Advertisement