Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to share with students in ITCarlow

Options
  • 20-08-2012 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I got offered a place in Carlow IT this morning in the CAO. (TV and Media Production) I know NOTHING about Carlow, never even been, and applied purely for the awesome course! THRILLED with the offer, but I'm from Roscommon so I need to be looking into student accommodation! I think it would be ideal if we could round up some new first year students in CarlowIT here and get a house together near the college! :) Anyone interested? Personally I'd want somewhere as CHEAP as possible, but not a total dive... in walking distance from the IT! If we could round up 3-4 more students I reckon we could rent out a whole house! :)

Aisling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NaNaNa1

I got offered the exact same course but I'm still not sure shall I take it! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kelleherqueen

NaNaNa1 wrote: »
    I got offered the exact same course but I'm still not sure shall I take it! :o

That is so awesome! :) Was it not your first option? Are you hoping for something else? If you decide to accept, I'm Aisling :D:p Let's be friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Got offered a place in Carlow too and looking into accommodation or commuting from wexford before accepting. Is there such a thing as a cheap place within walking distance of a college ?

Scioch wrote: »
    Got offered a place in Carlow too and looking into accommodation or commuting from wexford before accepting. Is there such a thing as a cheap place within walking distance of a college ?

Hey :D I've been checking out www.Daft.ie all day and found some places which look great :D And they're in walking distance from the IT and the town centre :D And quite cheap too, from €50-€65 euro weekly! Cheapest I found was €40 a week, but it could be a dive! :p What course did you get?

Hey :D I've been checking out www.Daft.ie all day and found some places which look great :D And they're in walking distance from the IT and the town centre :D And quite cheap too, from €50-€65 euro weekly! Cheapest I found was €40 a week, but it could be a dive! :p What course did you get?

Higher Cert in Computing. 50-65 seems reasonable enough. Those all for 4-5 beds ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

You should try the Carlow forum if you ve any queries about what places are like regards walking distance, nearby amenities, good/bad/kip and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LiamMcD

I got a place in St. Pats and I also know nothing about Carlow.
    I was looking at some student accommodation but I'm worried I'll end up not liking the people. Or even that they'll already know the place and I'm left clueless. I dunno what to do really :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

LiamMcD wrote: »
    I was looking at some student accommodation but I'm worried I'll end up not liking the people. Or even that they'll already know the place and I'm left clueless. I dunno what to do really :L

Hahs I think you can stop worrying dude!! One night in the foundry on freshers week and you'll know lots of people!! Carlow is a brilliant student town!! Your gona be in college having the time of your life!! Don't be worrying about silly things!!

For anyone looking for accommodation southern gardens is as close to the college as your gona get, it's literally across the road, and it's a lovely estate!! Other options would be Bullock Park, College Green or The Weir which is a bit closer to town!! There's others of course, but it's a few years now since I was there!!

You still interested in banding together to find a place Kelleherqueen or you gonna go your own way ?

Higher Cert in Computing. 50-65 seems reasonable enough. Those all for 4-5 beds ?

Course sounds good! Yeah for a single room weekly :D

• Advertisement

alan1990 wrote: »
    Hahs I think you can stop worrying dude!! One night in the foundry on freshers week and you'll know lots of people!! Carlow is a brilliant student town!! Your gona be in college having the time of your life!! Don't be worrying about silly things!!

For anyone looking for accommodation southern gardens is as close to the college as your gona get, it's literally across the road, and it's a lovely estate!! Other options would be Bullock Park, College Green or The Weir which is a bit closer to town!! There's others of course, but it's a few years now since I was there!!

Sounds like a great place Carlow does, just hope ye'se aren't too wild! :D

LiamMcD wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about making friends if I were you. Most people are in the same boat as you! I'm out of L.C two years and got into Carlow IT with my FETAC results, and I've spent a year in Dublin prior to this; it was daunting at the start but trust me you quickly find your feet and settle in. There'll be people in college from all walks of life so just take care of yourself, study & have fun! Honestly, you'll settle in in a week or two.. :)
    I'm not sure where St.Pats/Carlow College is; but if it's close to the IT would you be interested in sharing? I'm not sure at the minute about houses and ****e like that, because I'm planning on going to Carlow for some house viewings at the weekend, but it mightn't be possible. Once I have a definite YES, I'll be more able to mingle here about it. :D

You still interested in banding together to find a place Kelleherqueen or you gonna go your own way ?

Hiya Scioch. I put together a good few houses I found on Daft. I'm ringing the landlords/ladies tomorrow about it! I'll have an answer to ya soon.. I just need to know when I'll be able to get to Carlow! :D

Hiya Scioch. I put together a good few houses I found on Daft. I'm ringing the landlords/ladies tomorrow about it! I'll have an answer to ya soon.. I just need to know when I'll be able to get to Carlow! :D

No worries, I'm gonna start ringing and might head up the end of the week have a look about. I havent a clue what I'm at though really, I'll probably move into any old dive just to make sure I have a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 deadman1693

I got into Carlow college for social studies but yeah accommodation in a problem for me too! :( i'd be up for sharing though!! :) be great craic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

Guys,

Before you go searching you should read the following:

http://www.daft.ie/report/

It has been prepared by the Students Union of Ireland and gives you guidelines to help you in your search as well as indicative rents for all college cities and towns.

It contains good information and is written to protect you particularly if you are a first year as you can be bullied into a rash and wrong decision by unscrupulous landlords and/or agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AislingTobin

Hi, I also got an offer for Carlow on Monday which I accepted and I'm so stuck I have not got a clue where to live.
    My friend is coming too so we're looking for somewhere to live, any ideas?? :D

Should we get a list of names and try organise to view a couple places ? I'd feel a hell of a lot better knowing I wasnt on my own and looking for a house with others rather than searching for a room on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nicole P

Hey :) i got accepted into Carlow IT too for social studies :) i havn't a clue about accomodation either though but i've looked up a few nice places for cheap but also need people to share with! any ideas? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 deadman1693

I would be up for sharing with some people! :) i'd say it would be definitely better than living in a one bedroom apartment! :P

• Advertisement

Anyone any look finding a place yet ?

Hi everyone! I wanted to let ye know, I've decided to go into the student village across the road from the college - Carraig Abhainn. Initially, I thought it was expensive enough... A single room standard is €91 weekly. A single room large is €93 weekly. A single room en suite is €99 weekly. A twin (sharing) room is €77... http://www.carraigabhainn.ie
    Now as I said I first thought it was expensive but it covers all your bills, TV, Internet, etc... I was speaking to my Mum and she seems to think that if you're getting a place for about €65 a week and that only includes the actual rent, you'll still have to pay a monthly ESB, TV, Internet, bins, etc. She reckons the cost of a house outside of campus vs the student village would be the same price and value when you take into account bills.. You have three options of paying in Carraig Abhainn; a yearly payment, two payments during the year or monthly by direct debit ONLY... Now obviously most people can't afford two payments/one payment throughout the year so I'd advise the monthly payment as it's much more convenient.. Now if you're paying monthly for a single standard that's 364euro monthly..All you need to add on top of that is cost for food, socializing and travel if necessary.. Now, I don't know what's still available, because when my Mum rang the landlady she said there were only single standard rooms left!! But you never know about dropouts at the last minute and such so Id recommend ringing about it.. Now, my family arent wealthy by any stretch and I'm going to try my absolute hardest to get part time work in Carlow..(fingers crossed) but I think the student village seems pretty good value for what you're paying!! I found this all out from my Uncle in law's mother, she lives in Carlow and went to Carlow IT to ask about student accommodation and the best options there!! She found out you would be paying €65 weekly for the RENT alone in a house in walking distance from the college, but according to her, don't pay less than that or it wont be worth your time... Then there's digs which according to the college are about 100/110 euro weekly!!!!! (Which is VERY expensive, I was in digs in Dublin this year and paying 90weekly for full board. And as most of ye know Dublin would be a lot more expensive than Carlow. So the digs places in Carlow seem to be waay overcharging..) Then the third option the college gave was the student village of course.. Personally I feel the student village is the best value because you're secure, it's lovely housing, with lots of students, 2minutes from the IT, etc..... Especially for those who've never been to Carlow like me it will be daunting renting in a place foreign to you in walking distance because you do not know if that area is safe or not.. According to my Uncle in law's mother Carlow can be very rough and there ARE rough spots especially at night.. So just be careful and don't be drawn into something dirt cheap for the price alone as you could be in a dangerous area..
    I dont wanna be getting anyones hopes up about Carraig Abhainn if you decide to pursue it because the places ARE rapidly going and I don't know are there many left... (Just single rooms when I rang, which is ideal for me but dunno bout the rest of ye. Twin sharing would be grand if ye have a friend going too!!!!!)
    So yeah, sorry about the post, may be a lil irrelevant now, but I truthfully do wish ye the best of luck in finding accommodation and having a great college experience......:D
    PS. If i ever meet any of ye in person in college (not that we'd recognise each other) I can be the awesome older sister as I'm guessin i'll be a year or two older than a lot of ye, I'm 19 goin on 20!! :p

Personally I want to stay away from places like that. I'm a mature student and I'm worried I'll have to work a bit harder to keep up so I would prefer somewhere quietish. Lots of partying goes on in those student villages from what I hear. Great if your into that thing but terrible if your not.

I'm going up tomorrow to have a look at a place about 5-10 minutes from the college. Rooms are 65-80, extra 5 a week for ESB and Bins. So wherever you are you're gonna be paying the same amount anyway as far as I see. You'll just get more space and peace in a house.

PS. If i ever meet any of ye in person in college (not that we'd recognise each other) I can be the awesome older sister as I'm guessin i'll be a year or two older than a lot of ye, I'm 19 goin on 20!! :p

I'm 28 so if your the awesome older sister what the fcuk does that make me ? The weird old uncle ? :(

I'm 28 so if your the awesome older sister what the fcuk does that make me ? The weird old uncle ? :(

I get what ya mean about the student village; I'm not big into the student party scene either and obviously the main reason I'm going to college is for the education-- I wont be partying every night of the week or anything but for me it would suit being with other students-- I am slightly worried they'll be off their rocker crazy though..
    Haha, I realised after I wrote I was the awesome older sister it sounded sooo stupid because I'll be pretty much the same age as most people there-- But 28 is young like!! & even if you feel old it shouldn't matter. Lots of mature students settle in just as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AislingTobin

Hi, me and another girl have found a house for €850 a month, we rang the landlord and he's happy enough to let us move in, we're looking for a 3rd person to live with is, would work out as €70 a week if anyone is interested? It's in college green which is right beside the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paddyk23

Hey guys,

I got offered a place in Carlow IT this morning in the CAO. (TV and Media Production) I know NOTHING about Carlow, never even been, and applied purely for the awesome course! THRILLED with the offer, but I'm from Roscommon so I need to be looking into student accommodation! I think it would be ideal if we could round up some new first year students in CarlowIT here and get a house together near the college! :) Anyone interested? Personally I'd want somewhere as CHEAP as possible, but not a total dive... in walking distance from the IT! If we could round up 3-4 more students I reckon we could rent out a whole house! :)

Aisling

hey my sis lookin for sum1 to share wit she found place for 50 a week 15 min walk frm college text me if you interested<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paddyk23

Hi, me and another girl have found a house for €850 a month, we rang the landlord and he's happy enough to let us move in, we're looking for a 3rd person to live with is, would work out as €70 a week if anyone is interested? It's in college green which is right beside the college?
    if you still lookin for person text me its for my sis <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BrainyWife

I would be up for sharing with some people! :) i'd say it would be definitely better than living in a one bedroom apartment! :P

Hi all,

I am looking for people to rent with me in a group letting (meaning for fixed 9months). There is one double bed and 2singles LEFT!. It is about 12mins walk from IT CARLOW. Please call <snip> asap if your are interested. Please we expect a certain level of decency when living there.:D

Single bed is €40 a week
    Double bed is €50 a week.

Here is a link to view the house:http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/The-Weirs-Ref-238S-Graiguecullen-Co-Carlow/1220391/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BrainyWife

BrainyWife wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am looking for people to rent with me in a group letting (meaning for fixed 9months). There is one double bed and 2singles LEFT!. It is about 12mins walk from IT CARLOW. Please call 0852847980 asap if your are interested. Please we expect a certain level of decency when living there.:D

Single bed is €40 a week
    Double bed is €50 a week.

Here is a link to view the house:http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/The-Weirs-Ref-238S-Graiguecullen-Co-Carlow/1220391/

Internet included in the Rent!!

Advertisement