Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant losing Rent Allowance

Options
  • 20-08-2012 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

I have a tenant who seems to have lost their right to RA. I had been getting paid directly by social welfare a portion of the rent, then the tenant would cover the remaining portion.

The payment stopped last month. Tenant doesn't have money to cover it, and I don't have visibility as to what the reasons for them losing it are, and it's not really any of my business other than not being paid.

I am trying to get through to Central Rents office to discuss. I don't expect them to give me any details, but I just want to see what can be done.

Tenants have advised they can only deal with social via letters, and this takes weeks. They've not offered anything in the mean time.

Any other ideas on what can be done?

mods - I didn't know whether to put in here or State Benefits, but thought here might be better from landlord point of view.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Give him/her a notice to move out .

It's your business not a charity .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Ranjo wrote: »
    The payment stopped last month. Tenant doesn't have money to cover it, and I don't have visibility as to what the reasons for them losing it are, and it's not really any of my business other than not beinyg paid.

Why don't you think it's your business? :confused:

Of course it's your business!

Give them the agreed notice period - it's up to them, then, if they want to offer some compromise.

Is there a reason that they feel they can only deal with the relevant government department in writing? It's very unusual, if so! Are they physically disabled, without the means to get into the office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Just to point out recently( I say recently but it was actually last December and the dept are still getting around to implementing it) there has been a rent review due to last years budget cuts regarding social welfare, if the recent rent allowance review forms arrived and where filled in with the rent above what was allowed for the area you are in then there is every possibility that the allowance was cut off for this reason, and yes all the paper work is done by letter as you have to appeal the decision and this can only be done in writing as per the letter the department send you stating this.

So I dont know if this relates to you OP but if it does then thats one explanation. So if you are renting to RA tenants then your rent has to be within the guide lines.

If this is all not the case then you are running a business so go speak to your tenant tell them your hands are tied and unless rent is received then you have no choice but to start the eviction process, make sure to put it in a letter also but if your tenants are approachable then do go speak to them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I agree with the other posters too.
    You don't know *why* your tenant has lost their Rent Allowance but at the end of the day, you're a Landlord and are entitled to your rent, as agreed.
    I'm sure you drew up a lease which states that rent must be paid every month, which they signed.
    Might sound harsh, but what are you supposed to do? Let them live there rent free?
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

I've been phoning every social welfare department under the sun, and finally got some relevant info from the Dept Social Protection Infoline. The payment is due next week, and will include the arrears amount.

They didn't give me details, but at least payment is on its way. Most of the people I spoke to joked at how bad the system was. Our tenant does not have a phone number or physical location to go to for any queries, only a PO Box.

Thanks all. I can put the eviction hammer away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭number66

They must know why their RA was stopped? If not they should really find out. If your tenants have missed rent payments and are likely to miss more your only option is to ask them to leave so you can rent to someone who can.

It is probable that they have had their RA reviewed and the rent is higher that the max allowed under the new rates. Maybe if you said what area your renting in,the number of people renting and what the rent is someone may be able to give you an answer.

If it is just the amount of rent, you can always agree to reduce the rent to the new max for RA, Have a look at http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html#l62fd2 . note that the table in that link is totally confusing as it gives monthly figures for max rent PAID by RA, weekly figures for what a Tenant can contribute. these two figure when added give the max rent that will be considered for rent allowance. Clear as mud really.

But best to get the ball rolling on this as doing nothing will only allow the situation to become worse. you tenants really need to get down to their local health board and talk to their CWO(Community Welfare Officer). find out why they are not receiving RA, also find out what the MAX level of RA is in you area, you can ask your CWO this without referring to your existing tenants.

Advertisement