Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Health Insurance/Making a claim

Options
  • 20-08-2012 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
    My question is - I will have to cancel my health insurance for financial reasons, if I want to put in a claim does this have to be done before I cancel the policy? The policy is up for renewal on 1st September.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well you clearly can't put in a claim after you've cancelled the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

It depends on the type of policy. If it is on a "claims made" basis then you will need to have made the claim before you cancel. If it is on a "claims occurance" basis then you dont need to have made the claim before you cancel as the claim relates to the date of occurance and once this was during the priod of cover you can make a claim.

The wording on your policy will let you know which one is relevent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Just had a look at some of the policies and they are generally on a claims made basis therefore you will need to lodge a claim before you cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I know I had 3 months after I cancelled a policy with aviva to submit claims. After that they would not be accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lizzie33

Thanks guys, will put in the claim immediately, its only a small claim, but every penny counts.

Thanks again for the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement