Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1300 Build

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Are you absolutely going down the xfire route? If not you could scale back the motherboard. I don't know about that PSU - I assume you've read Monotypes guide?

Cooling you really need to look at spending a decent amount of money for the 3570K. A H80/Noctua (around €80) would be my recommendation.

EDIT: On cooling - you're going for a very similar build to my own - I would be very dubious about ever going xfire in my build (which was my intention when I bought a €200+ motherboard :D). I have a 600T and a H100 cooling a 3570K @ 4.6Ghz - I'm at the limit of my cooling. I see temps spike at 80C which for me is the max I'm willing to go. I'm also at 1.368-1.376v which is getting dangerously close to the red line.

As for the GPU - 4 hour stress test on Heaven is seeing my GPU spike at 76C thats 1125 core 1600Mhz memory. That wouldnt have been a big deal on older cards but I'm very dubious about pushing a 28nm GPU higher than 80C. If I was to put another GPU in the machine I would have to run stock negating the reason to buy that card in the first place. YMMV

GPU is awesome but they've snook up the price from when I bought mine. I'd still buy it at €345 but there is a 7970 at €395 - how good it is I don't know.
    (I'm getting everything stable but Tomshardware has 680's at around 9318 P-Score. I know P-Score isn't very scientific but that's about where I am)

Grab yourself some faster RAM (around a tenner more expensive) if you're over-clocking. Price to performance its worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Are you absolutely going down the xfire route? If not you could scale back the motherboard. I don't know about that PSU - I assume you've read Monotypes guide?

I will only game on one monitor but will probably be moving to dual monitor at some stage for general PC use. Would that put much more stress on the system.

Going off to read Monotypes guide on PSU's now!
    Cooling you really need to look at spending a decent amount of money for the 3570K. A H80/Noctua (around €80) would be my recommendation.

Added a H80
    GPU is awesome but they've snook up the price from when I bought mine. I'd still buy it at €345 but there is a 7970 at €395 - how good it is I don't know.
    (I'm getting everything stable but Tomshardware has 680's at around 9318 P-Score. I know P-Score isn't very scientific but that's about where I am)

I think I'll stick with the 7950, should do the job but will do some further research into the 7970
    Grab yourself some faster RAM (around a tenner more expensive) if you're over-clocking. Price to performance its worth doing.

RAM is upgraded, new build below (looking into PSU)

Item|Price
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Sockel 1155, ATX|€135.44
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€217.93
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC 950M, 3GB GDDR5, full retail|€345.00
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€100.80
    Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€149.00
    Super-Flower Atlas Design 580W|€71.99
    WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s|€101.84
    Corsair Hydro Series H80 (Sockel 775/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3/FM1)|€94.53
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile blau PC3-17066U CL11|€62.10
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1297.62

The only thing dual monitor might (but shouldn't) do is stop the machine from dropping the GPU into low power mode. It wont stress the system in anyway. Dual monitor set-ups aren't great of gaming as the bezels are right in the middle of the screen - for productivity its grand.

You might also want to look at the H100 - fits into the 600T but the design is sub-optimal as you have to set it up to pull warm air out of the case and though the Radaitor. If you buy either the H80 or H100 you will probably need to replace the fans.

Extreme4 is only worth it if you're going xfire - although the board does look smexy which is as good a reason as any tbh.

RAM is probably a bit too far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MrsDoyle28

Hi

Sorry if this is not in the right place for this, it's my first post and I just want some advice on a pc build from hardareversand. I've put together the spec below based on some research. The computer will be used mostly for gaming (All the Total Wars) and a bit of internet and email. Really decent graphics is the main need:

No.: HV20G325DE 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9
    No.: HV1132RQDE ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP, Sockel 1155, ATX
    No.: HVR530L7DE be quiet! Pure Power 530 Watt / BQT L7
    No.: HV203I18DE BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil
    No.: HV20Y35KDE Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155
    No.: HV207GB4DE LG GH24NS bare schwarz
    No.: HV33E7H6DE MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch
    No.: HVZPCDE Rechner - Zusammenbau
    No.: HV0477993501DE Special item: Samsung SyncMaster S24A300BL
    No.: HV1031SCDE Sapphire HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express
    No.: HV13WG26DE WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s

The price came out at ~1,100 for a pre-build which is fine for me. Is there anything in there that I should take out? Any advice is really appreciated! Thanks :)

The only thing dual monitor might (but shouldn't) do is stop the machine from dropping the GPU into low power mode. It wont stress the system in anyway. Dual monitor set-ups aren't great of gaming as the bezels are right in the middle of the screen - for productivity its grand.

Yes, gaming will be one screen only.
    You might also want to look at the H100 - fits into the 600T but the design is sub-optimal as you have to set it up to pull warm air out of the case and though the Radaitor. If you buy either the H80 or H100 you will probably need to replace the fans.

Put in a H100 instead (out of stock there but same price on amazon), so would you put fans on the other side of the radiator to blow the hot air through it or what?
    Extreme4 is only worth it if you're going xfire - although the board does look smexy which is as good a reason as any tbh.

I've rolled back the motherboard to the Z77 Pro 3 which should be fine?
    RAM is probably a bit too far :D

I've rolled back the RAM as well and have changed the PSU.

Updated basket below:

Item|Price
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC 950M, 3GB GDDR5, full retail|€345.00
    Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX550M, 550Watt|€79.38
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€91.34
    Corsair Hydro Series H100 (Sockel 775/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3/FM1)|€104.45
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL9|€44.00
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1252.73

• Advertisement

MrsDoyle28 wrote: »
    The price came out at ~1,100 for a pre-build which is fine for me. Is there anything in there that I should take out? Any advice is really appreciated! Thanks :)

Hi MrsDoyle28, I'd say if you create a new thread for your build you'll get a better response as questions can get lost in all of the replies.

If you start by answering the questions in the thread linked below there are plenty of people here to help

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74542374

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

To be honest I'd rather spend a bit more on a mobo capable of Xfire/SLI than buying cheap now and then buying again when you do decide to go Xfire/SLI. Two Asus 7970's on adverts. Asking price is €380 each. (They aren't mine and I don't know the guy selling them.)

Sarz91 wrote: »
    To be honest I'd rather spend a bit more on a mobo capable of Xfire/SLI than buying cheap now and then buying again when you do decide to go Xfire/SLI. Two Asus 7970's on adverts. Asking price is €380 each. (They aren't mine and I don't know the guy selling them.)

I was thinking that myself so I've upgraded mobo again and have settled on the following build. Getting it through work so it'll work out less than €1200.

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile blau PC3-12800U CL9|€45.68
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC, 3GB GDDR5|€422.09
    Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX650M, 650Watt|€96.45
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1392.67

seklly wrote: »
    I was thinking that myself so I've upgraded mobo again and have settled on the following build. Getting it through work so it'll work out less than €1200.

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile blau PC3-12800U CL9|€45.68
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC, 3GB GDDR5|€422.09
    Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX650M, 650Watt|€96.45
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1392.67

Don't make my mistake haha. Bought the asrock pro 3 mobo, fitted it in the case but for some reason didn't realise the lack of pci slots. I guess it's a good thing otherwise I probably would have bought another 670 :D
    EDIT: That case is so good to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MrsDoyle28

I started a new thread for my question, thanks :)

• Advertisement

Go careful on the cooling in the 600T ref xfire - I know I;m repeating myself :D

Great case but only above average cooling.

Go careful on the cooling in the 600T ref xfire - I know I;m repeating myself :D

Just out of curiosity. How much did you pay for your 600t Pro? Where did you get it? Not like I'm going to buy one or anything :D

€85 off adverts - missing a couple of bits - nothing major, and had to give it a bit of a clean but v.happy with it for 85 quid :)

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Don't make my mistake haha. Bought the asrock pro 3 mobo, fitted it in the case but for some reason didn't realise the lack of pci slots. I guess it's a good thing otherwise I probably would have bought another 670 :D
    EDIT: That case is so good to look at.

Yeah for the sake of a few quid extra I may as well go Extreme!!

Yes thanks for that, if I do go down the Xfire route in the future it may need a case upgrade. No immediate plans anyway.

@Procrastastudy, what did you mean earlier about the fans sucking air through the rad on the H100 and that they may need replacing? Would you put new fans in in a different orientation?

The 600T is designed by Corsair the same people that make the H100 - which makes this a bit silly:

The H100 ideal set up is Push/Pull (4 fans 2 on each side) pulling cold air from outside the case.

The 600T makes you install the Rad in the case - and then install the fans on top of the case under a metal grill. There are issues if you then set these up to pull air from outside into the case as the downfoarce causes noise - more on that later.

So you are left with only having two fans (two more wont fit with most motherboards) sucking air though the Rad - thought the mesh at the top of the case expelling it though another mesh. The fans are high pressure which makes this okay - but not ideal.

Next the fans that come with the H100 are loud. I will use text to illustrate:

Volume you set the machine to when watching pron
    Volume you set the machine to when playing a game
    Good bit if music
    Helicopter
    Fully laiden 747 aborting a landing
    The word of God
    H100 Fans on max

Ha ha, cheers, I'll have to do a bit of research. That build is ordered now so should be with me this week.

Looks like a few quieter fans will be next on my list so!

Ha ha, cheers, I'll have to do a bit of research. That build is ordered now so should be with me this week.

Looks like a few quieter fans will be next on my list so!

Sorry I cant hear you my H100 is on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

The H100 fans on low settings are barely audible tbh. Performance difference with them on high is a few degrees c. So just set them to low.

Beez wrote: »
    The H100 fans on low settings are barely audible tbh. Performance difference with them on high is a few degrees c. So just set them to low.

There's about a 10C difference in a 600T on a 3570K - thats down to the way you have to configure them. It's also probably contributing to the noise also. I certainly wouldn't describe them as barely audible on min either tbh.

All i know is my PC is nearly silent and its got 5 120 mm fans in it 2 of which are the H100's.

• Advertisement

I think the main problem in this case (situation) is that the case (case) doesn't have the necessary clearance to mount the fans inside (when mounting at the top). Most people tend to mount the 2 x 120mm fans on top of the case outside it with the radiator the other side of the grill in a push configuration so the downward pressure of the air through the grill causes additional noise. I will find out myself soon enough!

I use the h100 as an exhaust not an intake. You dont want to be pumping warm air into your PC.

I use the h100 as an exhaust not an intake. You dont want to be pumping warm air into your PC.

You defo want to use it as an exhaust on a 600T for noise and the fact that its mounted at the top of the case.

I probably will replace the stock fans at some point but i just dont find them loud on low. As said it could be due to my case setup.

I probably will replace the stock fans at some point but i just dont find them loud on low. As said it could be due to my case setup.

The noise I'm referring to there is a known issue with the 600T when you set the fans up for intake.

The noise I'm referring to there is a known issue with the 600T when you set the fans up for intake.

So you have your H100 fans set up for exhaust at the top?

From what I've been reading most people think using it as an intake offers better cooling (increased noise) and then using the rear fan as an exhaust

So you have your H100 fans set up for exhaust at the top?

From what I've been reading most people think using it as an intake offers better cooling (increased noise) and then using the rear fan as an exhaust

It does but I don't really like the idea of warm air coming into the case - have a feeling it would sit at the top - it would also pull in dust.

It does but I don't really like the idea of warm air coming into the case - have a feeling it would sit at the top - it would also pull in dust.

That's what I would have thought but apparently sucking cold air in and over the radiator seems to result in a cooler system.

Will probably set it up as an exhaust to start with anyway and see what happens!

Advertisement