Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you put on the curriculum if there were no points...

• 20-08-2012 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

If there were no points, and the purpose of education was purely to provide people for the tools for living well, what would you put on the curriculum?

I'd start with cycling, sailing (we're an island, after all, and full of lakes), hillwalking, gardening (flowers, fruit and vegetables), cooking, housekeeping/budgeting/etc, basic electricianship and plumbing, building/insulation/etc, farming and the economics of running a mixed farm.

Then the core subjects - English, including understanding how the grammar works and how to write stories and poetry and love language; Irish and the culture and history, taught as an oral subject first then with poetry, songs, dances, literature; geography, starting with maps and mapmaking and going on to economic and historical geography, with projects about local areas and areas your family and friends come from and places you go on holidays. Maths, starting with arithmetic used practically and taught practically (adding, subtracting, dividing and multiplying taught by using lentils so you can see the logic of what you're doing), with algebra and geometry taught as games, for fun. Chess, obviously; music, obviously; team games, obviously. Foreign languages taught first through oral means, then by conversation (Skype!) with native speakers, then by things like cycle and sailing tours and holidays to countries whose language you've learned.

And you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Driver education

If you have a class of students signed up, a local instructor would be asked for a savage discount, no way is anyone paying their standard rate.
    I'm thinking 50% or more off

I also want students to visit a farm and visit the local AIBP plant, see where their food comes from

edit, I've been hearing for years they want to lose Shakespeare, they were talking about it when I was a young un
    Keep the man, the master!
    I'd didn't appreciate his work until years later

BBC have done some fantastic adaptations of his work. Kenneth Branagh did a good one too. All up on youtube, search for The Hollow Crown
    Ignore the moaners, keep this on the curriculum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Oh yes, of course driver education.

Not just visit a farm, though, run a farm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We do a lot of what you describe with the LCA and JCSP groups. I often think they leave school much better 'educated' in terms of coping with life than the 500+ pointers.

We had great fun with the driver education. We got in one of the simulator vans and the kids (and their teachers) loved it. It was pricey enough, but part of their module was to fundraise for it.

We do a 'granny project' with ESS students at JC, which they love. Some of them produce outstanding work.

It's much more fun teaching than preparing for an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I was the shyest, most nevous speaker around until I was forced to do this in college.

You could not opt out, you were forced into it and I'm glad it was that way, you improve every time.
    Yeah a teacher does it for a living but it's difficult for many. What's easy for one person is a nightmare to others

It's important for lots of things, job interviews, presentations in work, wedding speeches and so on

All students should have to do this maybe 5 times, we'll say in 5th year.
    First few goes just give them a topic and let them talk about it. Something in the news, Olympics maybe.
    Then make them do it with no cards or notes.
    Finally make them do it on some random topic, you write them on raffle tickets and let them pull it out. Anything random, sharks in the ocean maybe

It's nothing major, 3-5 minutes talking would be grand

Great experience, they'll be glad they did it

spurious wrote: »
    It's much more fun teaching than preparing for an exam.

And much more fun learning, I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I'd out golf on as well as long as hillwalking is there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'd make a year in the Defense Forces compulsory. That would sort out some of the anti-social element we have. Try giving a bit of lip there and see where it gets you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

how to write an application form and follow simple instructions if applying for a job................

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

TheDriver wrote: »
    how to write an application form and follow simple instructions if applying for a job................

Is this not LCVP? :p

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'd make a year in the Defense Forces compulsory. That would sort out some of the anti-social element we have. Try giving a bit of lip there and see where it gets you.

Or maybe actually found and run a force that would be peaceful, and would run with the internal discipline that comes from dedication, work and interest, and would do valuable work within society?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Obviously I can't speak from the perspective of a teacher, but the majority of the things mentioned in this thread were part of the Transition Year program in my school. I found the year far more productive than I was expecting, the bulk of the skills and experience on my (limited) CV come from TY.
    The general public views it as a waste of a year, but IMO it should be endorsed since it gives students an opportunity to learn skills that can be applied in everyday life.

Owen_S wrote: »
    Obviously I can't speak from the perspective of a teacher, but the majority of the things mentioned in this thread were part of the Transition Year program in my school. I found the year far more productive than I was expecting, the bulk of the skills and experience on my (limited) CV come from TY.
    The general public views it as a waste of a year, but IMO it should be endorsed since it gives students an opportunity to learn skills that can be applied in everyday life.

I was kind of suggesting that these should be the subjects you learn first, Owen_S!

Your school sounds like a great one, but!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Camping/woodman skills.Conflict resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

TheDriver wrote: »

More evidence of the usefulness of LCVP!

Advertisement