Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome First Years 2012! Questions, Orientation etc.

Options
  • 20-08-2012 10:35am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello to any new first years who are currently lurking on the forum. If you have any issues, questions, queries, ideas, or even just a longing to jibber jabber with other Mary I goers, here's the place to do it! I'm sure the Mary I Students' Union will also deal with anything which arises here.

Post if you're lurking, even if all you do is say hello ;)

Have fun :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

To those who've accepted offers from Mary I, welcome to this humble abode!!

Cue the waving bears!! :D:D

reverse-1329760693_waving_bears.gif

**Note: No bears were harmed in the making of this post**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I've loads of questions but I can't even think of the atm :D Still overjoyed eventhough I haven't even clicked accept :)

Cannot wait to go to Mary I though, knew straight away when I saw the place on the open day I wanted it :P Nice and cosy and looks very modern :P

One thing actually about orientation...it's for two days right? Must we stay up there?

To those who've accepted offers from Mary I, welcome to this humble abode!!

Que the waving bears!! :D:D

reverse-1329760693_waving_bears.gif

**Note: No bears were harmed in the making of this post**

I'm not ashamed to say I've been staring at that gif for about 2 minutes straight :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Orientation info is here: http://www.mic.ul.ie/prospectivestudents/Pages/orientationweek.aspx .

It appears to be over two days. You'd have to stay the night between at the very least, but more than likely the evening before your first day too and possibly the evening after the second day.

TheComeUp wrote: »
    I've loads of questions but I can't even think of the atm :D Still overjoyed eventhough I haven't even clicked accept :)

Cannot wait to go to Mary I though, knew straight away when I saw the place on the open day I wanted it :P Nice and cosy and looks very modern :P

One thing actually about orientation...it's for two days right? Must we stay up there?

Hey TheComeUp! Congrats on getting your offer and best of luck in Mary I! You'll love it! :D

Orientation is for two days. Not completely sure what you mean by staying up there...it'd be handy to stay up for those two nights (to get you used to the experience and familiar with your accommodation) but you don't have to as long as you attend the necessary events. It depends on transport, distance from the college etc. You definitely don't have to stay for the entire week.

• Advertisement

The points for the B.Ed Psych are very high this year, aren't they? (555*) Is that because of the draw of the course, or the number of applicants with honours maths?

dambarude wrote: »
    The points for the B.Ed Psych are very high this year, aren't they? (555*) Is that because of the draw of the course, or the number of applicants with honours maths?

A mixture of both I reckon. As with other years, there are probably around thirty students starting out this year and that has always resulted in tough competition.

Personally, I think the introduction of the 4 year B.Ed has made a contribution to the high points, with many realising that, for the same number of years in college, B.Ed Psych students can also study Psychology at a degree level along with Education.

Regarding the honours maths situation, the points system has had to compensate for the incentive with a number of courses. A lot of "high achievers" (...hate that word. What does it actually mean?..Apologies, off on a bit of a tangent! :rolleyes:) who apply for the course may have received an honours maths points bonus, making things even more competitive than before! Very difficult to tell with the introduction of points incentives tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

In with 60 points to spare, I was so worried! :L Can't wait to begin :D

In with 60 points to spare, I was so worried! :L Can't wait to begin :D

You obviously had no reason to worry! Welcome to Mary I!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

waving bears

This has made my day. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Did the points stay the same as last year (475) for the regular B.ed

malascoile wrote: »
    Did the points stay the same as last year (475) for the regular B.ed

It was 470 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Fair play to anyone who got offers to Mary I, you're going to have a great time. :)

I wish I was back in first year again.. :( #FinalYearDepression

Hey :) What are the good societies etc. to join??

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Hey :) What are the good societies etc. to join??

A Clubs & Socs Day takes place every semester in Week 1 (normally on the Thursday). Basically, each club and society has a table with a few regular members whom you can pose questions to.

The types of clubs and societies can vary from year to year and naturally, there are some that are better than others! Pop down on the day and see if anything catches your eye! Just to mention one in particular - The live Trad society always has a great reputation. There's no need to come armed with a few dozen tin whistles or be the next Christy Moore...you can just come to enjoy a good Session™ and an enjoyable atmosphere in a nearby venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

I accepted a place on the Primary Teaching in Education and Psychology course on monday. Im wondering when will i get information on orientation, registration fees etc?

I accepted a place on the Primary Teaching in Education and Psychology course on monday. Im wondering when will i get information on orientation, registration fees etc?

Orientation information is here: http://www.mic.ul.ie/prospectivestudents/Pages/orientationweek.aspx .

The rest should arrive in the post within a few days, it might be next week.

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

that was a speedy reply :) Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Was in contact with student accomodation that i have booked since february and they informed me that they had thought i was a second year and now im living in an apartment with a second year. Is this right ? Should i demand to live with 1st yr like me. Would anyone think it'd be a bit weird livin with second yr ?what do yea think?

grantyrs10 wrote: »
    Was in contact with student accomodation that i have booked since february and they informed me that they had thought i was a second year and now im living in an apartment with a second year. Is this right ? Should i demand to live with 1st yr like me. Would anyone think it'd be a bit weird livin with second yr ?what do yea think?

You could try demanding it, it's worth a try anyway. Second years won't bite either way ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

Just wondering is there buses going from the college to different parts of the country eg West Cork to take people home at the weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Just wondering is there buses going from the college to different parts of the country eg West Cork to take people home at the weekends?

Yep, there's buses going to all parts.

Especially the places with lots of Students, i.e Cork, Kerry, Galway, Mayo.

They usually share with UL and LIT.

Don't have any details on a particular bus though.

Look at: http://www.cordufftravel.ie/timetables.html for routes directly from Mary I to Mayo/Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chrisby

Fair play to anyone who got offers to Mary I, you're going to have a great time. :)

I wish I was back in first year again.. :( #FinalYearDepression

You don't really.
    Did you ever stay in City Campus during your time there. Would love to talk to some students who stayed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MadForMusic

Starting in mary i this year and i cant wait :) anyone else staying in courtbrack? I'm only 17 and people have told me that being underage in college is terrible, is it really that bad?

Starting in mary i this year and i cant wait :) anyone else staying in courtbrack? I'm only 17 and people have told me that being underage in college is terrible, is it really that bad?

Congrats on getting your place! :)

Going out isn't that hard!

A lot of the times Molly Malone's on Ellen Street only look for student ID during the college week.

You might have the odd troublesome night where you don't get in but it happens everyone, underage or not! :P

Welcome MadForMusic! Loads of people I knew were only 17 starting college (and weren't 18 until Christmas or even Easter), and it did limit them in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MadForMusic

Thank you :D haha ok. And do you know for orientation does everyone have to go to all of the event things like the ceili or is it optional?

Thank you :D haha ok. And do you know for orientation does everyone have to go to all of the event things like the ceili or is it optional?

It's completely optional.

It might be a good idea to go to the events just to get to know people.
    The first week is a crucial time as after that people will have made groups.

As for the ceili, I went and left after like 10 minutes! :P Was like something from father ted, not my scene but most enjoyed it! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

When are the HEAR applicants starting? I'm not one of them but I'm just wondering :)

Advertisement