Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome First Years 2012! Questions, Orientation etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MadForMusic

It's completely optional.

It might be a good idea to go to the events just to get to know people.
    The first week is a crucial time as after that people will have made groups.

As for the ceili, I went and left after like 10 minutes! :P Was like something from father ted, not my scene but most enjoyed it! :P

Ok, ye are all so nice and helpful thanks.
    Hope everyone there is like this :P
    so i should try to get to know as many people as possible?
    I might check it out anyways.. we will see
    And is it really as easy to make friends as everyone says it is?
    sorry i have like a million questions...:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Ok, ye are all so nice and helpful thanks.
    Hope everyone there is like this :P
    so i should try to get to know as many people as possible?
    I might check it out anyways.. we will see
    And is it really as easy to make friends as everyone says it is?
    sorry i have like a million questions...:P

Don't worry about the questions, MadForMusic! We were all like that at one stage and usually, the problem is people don't ask enough of them!

Mary I is definitely one of the most accessible colleges and you'll have mastered your way around the place in a week! You always see the same faces around the place so you're bound to make friends. Tough to get some study done when you bump into someone you know every five minutes! :p

...and don't worry about going to college at 17! I started when I was 17 and it just made me look far more youthful compared to my peers! :p:D

Don't worry about the questions, MadForMusic! We were all like that at one stage and usually, the problem is people don't ask enough of them!

Mary I is definitely one of the most accessible colleges and you'll have mastered your way around the place in a week! You always see the same faces around the place so you're bound to make friends. Tough to get some study done when you bump into someone you know every five minutes! :p

...and don't worry about going to college at 17! I started when I was 17 and it just made me look far more youthful compared to my peers! :p:D

Haha ok :L thank god i get lost quite easily...
    And what did you do when everyone else would go clubbing? will i end up sitting back at the accomodation or studying when everyone else is out having fun? :confused:

Haha ok :L thank god i get lost quite easily...
    And what did you do when everyone else would go clubbing? will i end up sitting back at the accomodation or studying when everyone else is out having fun? :confused:

There's always plenty of things to do aside from clubbing! Clubs, societies, sports, meeting up with others at houses, pubs, cinemas etc...the list is endless!

It really depends on what interests you - I started taking lots of music lessons in 1st year with a few friends and will probably be doing the same thing for the short time I'm around in September! Of course, study has to come in as well sometimes...:D

If you're staying in Courtbrack, there's usually a good few people around who'll be doing things other than clubbing, so you're never at a loss.

There's always plenty of things to do aside from clubbing! Clubs, societies, sports, meeting up with others at houses, pubs, cinemas etc...the list is endless!

It really depends on what interests you - I started taking lots of music lessons in 1st year with a few friends and will probably be doing the same thing for the short time I'm around in September! Of course, study has to come in as well sometimes...:D

If you're staying in Courtbrack, there's usually a good few people around who'll be doing things other than clubbing, so you're never at a loss.

ok i will keep that in mind, thanks :)
    this might be the stupidest question ever but what is the difference between a club and a society?

• Advertisement

ok i will keep that in mind, thanks :)
    this might be the stupidest question ever but what is the difference between a club and a society?

Not a stupid question at all! :)

Many people use the terms interchangeably but personally, I would refer to anything associated with athletics and sports as a "club" (eg. gaelic football/soccer/tag rugby club) and everything else as a "society" (eg. live music/psychology/philosophy society).

Not a stupid question at all! :)

Many people use the terms interchangeably but personally, I would refer to anything associated with athletics and sports as a "club" (eg. gaelic football/soccer/tag rugby club) and everything else as a "society" (eg. live music/psychology/philosophy society).

ok that helps a lot thanks :) i heard that the boy-girl ratio is ridiculously bad. will there really be like 5 guys in the whole year? and how many students approximately will there be per class/year thing? I'm just doing the B.Ed :)

ok that helps a lot thanks :) i heard that the boy-girl ratio is ridiculously bad. will there really be like 5 guys in the whole year? and how many students approximately will there be per class/year thing? I'm just doing the B.Ed :)

I'm not going to lie to you...the male-female ratio isn't great! I think there's around 7/8 girls to every 1 guy (although it is improving with every year)! :o

As regards numbers, well, there are over 400 B.Ed students who've just completed final year and will be graduating this year, who were separated into 8 groups with roughly 50 in each group or class. There's also roughly 30 B.Ed Psych students each year as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I was offered Liberal Arts, so I'll be moving into Ashdown on the 4th. Can't wait at this stage :D

Just the 1 question: I heard that you can attend lectures for any subject, to get a taster or see what it's like. Does that last for long before you have to pick your 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

13spanner wrote: »
    I was offered Liberal Arts, so I'll be moving into Ashdown on the 4th. Can't wait at this stage :D

Just the 1 question: I heard that you can attend lectures for any subject, to get a taster or see what it's like. Does that last for long before you have to pick your 4?

You get a full week to try out all the lectures. If you're really unsure you can go for another few days after that but I think lectures begin to ask you to register by then, so they can get an idea on numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

where would one get a bus from mary immaculate to waterford? any help appreciated

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I'm not sure if there's a direct private bus, but the Bus Éireann timetable is here.

You get the bus from Limerick Station, which is here. It would be about 15/20 minute walk from Mary I, or 5-8 minutes in a taxi. You walk from the college towards town, make a right turn at the Redemptorist Cathedral, then left towards town again, and keep going until you see The Bank pub on the opposite side of the street, and turn right at the junction (towards Upper Mallow Street). Continue on past People's Park, turn left and the station will be on the opposite side of the street.

Ask at the station which stop the bus leaves from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Another quick question for ye :)

When's registration day for new 1st years? The fees form I got in the post says they need to be paid by registration, and I couldn't find a date for that anywhere. Are registration and enrolement are done the same day?

I'll admit it's easy get confused with paperwork :o

13spanner wrote: »
    Another quick question for ye :)

When's registration day for new 1st years? The fees form I got in the post says they need to be paid by registration, and I couldn't find a date for that anywhere. Are registration and enrolement are done the same day?

I'll admit it's easy get confused with paperwork :o

Registration usually has to be done by the end of the first week of lectures (not orientation week). It's done online, and you can't do it unless you've paid your fees. It usually involves picking modules and stuff like that. There will be staff in the IT room to help you with it.

Enrolement is what happens the very first day.

Timetables available now (including first years): http://www.mic.ul.ie/calendarstimetables/Pages/timetables.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

I cannot make head nor tail of these timetables :eek::confused::confused:

The best thing to do is presume you are in Group 1a. You only go to lectures with 1 or 1a beside it. You probably won't end up in that group, but it will help you to read it.

dambarude wrote: »
    The best thing to do is presume you are in Group 1a. You only go to lectures with 1 or 1a beside it. You probably won't end up in that group, but it will help you to read it.

Ahhh okay! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Hey about these forms we got in the post yesterday....who should I ring if I've a few queries (few being an understatement ha)? There is a number given for the Admissions Office on the enrolment form...would that be the right one?

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Hey about these forms we got in the post yesterday....who should I ring if I've a few queries (few being an understatement ha)? There is a number given for the Admissions Office on the enrolment form...would that be the right one?

The Admissions Office handle all administrative matters for incoming first years, so they're the best people to contact regarding queries about those forms.

Ring them up and if the person who answers can't help, they'll put you through to someone who can within Student Services.

• Advertisement

The Admissions Office handle all administrative matters for incoming first years, so they're the best people to contact regarding queries about those forms.

Ring them up and if the person who answers can't help, they'll put you through to someone who can within Student Services.

Thank you :) I just saw on the form for the fees that emailing the special office for that would be best but if all else fails I'll ring them!

Maybe someone could help me out with this little thing.....I presume everyone got the Medical Form but I got two of them, identical like. Is that just a mistake or do I need to get both filled out or something?

Thanks.

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Thank you :) I just saw on the form for the fees that emailing the special office for that would be best but if all else fails I'll ring them!

Maybe someone could help me out with this little thing.....I presume everyone got the Medical Form but I got two of them, identical like. Is that just a mistake or do I need to get both filled out or something?

Thanks.

I got two aswell!

I got two aswell!

That's a relief that I'm not the only one :P I wonder why we've got two though??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cealle

Hi,
    I am doing 2 modules as a link-in student to 2nd Arts. The timetable shows 'Gaeilge' on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. How do i know, what day relates to my modules?
    Regards
    E.

Bliain 2: Téarma 1 (MF-Nollaig)
    > GA4713: An Ghearrscéalaíocht agus Béaloideas.
    > GA4723: An litríocht chlasaiceach,

Cealle wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am doing 2 modules as a link-in student to 2nd Arts. The timetable shows 'Gaeilge' on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. How do i know, what day relates to my modules?
    Regards
    E.

Bliain 2: Téarma 1 (MF-Nollaig)
    > GA4713: An Ghearrscéalaíocht agus Béaloideas.
    > GA4723: An litríocht chlasaiceach,

Hey Cealle! I don't know about everyone else but normally my group found out about which days relate to each specific module in the first week.

Week 1 is when the lecturers provide an outline of their subject structure and knowing the Gaeilge department, there will be different lecturers for each module. It could be structured with GA4713 on Tuesday and Thursday, with GA4723 on Wednesday and Friday (or vice versa). The lecturers will provide you with the necessary details.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

Timetable really doesn't look too bad! I was expecting a lot worse, I know it will depend on which group but I don't see full days :D Does anyone know if we will have more lectures etc for the second semester or is this all unknown with the new 4 year programme? Also, in general are groups done by random selection or by surname? Getting excited now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bridcork

Hi all,
    was just wondering what facilities in UL can we use? How much is it to go for a swim and what's the easiest way to get to UL? P.S I don't have a car :(

Timetable really doesn't look too bad! I was expecting a lot worse, I know it will depend on which group but I don't see full days :D Does anyone know if we will have more lectures etc for the second semester or is this all unknown with the new 4 year programme? Also, in general are groups done by random selection or by surname? Getting excited now :D

Difficult to say with the new course. In previous years, there used to be Teaching Practice in Semester 2, which meant less time in lectures and more time in schools. Have a look at the proposed course structure here.

The groups are arranged in alphabetical order (according to surname). Best of luck and enjoy your 1st semester in college! :)

Bridcork wrote: »
    Hi all,
    was just wondering what facilities in UL can we use? How much is it to go for a swim and what's the easiest way to get to UL? P.S I don't have a car :(

Phew, it's busy here tonight!! :D

There are decent gym facilities in Mary I, but I can understand why you'd be interested in going to UL for certain things. Won't know too much about charges for using the facilities but I used to hear about some people paying for memberships. I await correction on that one.

I've been out to UL a fair few times and I won't even chance walking it. I used to cycle it and it takes around 30-40 minutes each way! :( There are regular buses going out there. Maybe someone can provide a timetable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

Difficult to say with the new course. In previous years, there used to be Teaching Practice in Semester 2, which meant less time in lectures and more time in schools. Have a look at the proposed course structure here.

The groups are arranged in alphabetical order (according to surname). Best of luck and enjoy your 1st semester in college! :)

Thank you! People always gave me the impression that Mary I is a very intensive college and after looking at the other years B.Ed timetables I can see that but the 4 year degree seems to have a slightly lighter workload, well for this semester, hope I haven't spoken too soon! :P

I see there's 2 Tréimhsí sa Ghaeltacht, has this also changed from June to the Easter weeks as was planned in the Dublin colleges? I can't seem to find any further information on it..

Sorry if these are stupid questions...

EDIT: found the answer for the Gaeltacht qeustion myself in the questions at the end of the page, for anyone else that wants to know it's 2 weeks after year one and 2 weeks after year two.

Advertisement