Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome First Years 2012! Questions, Orientation etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Sorry if these are stupid questions...

Don't worry about asking questions! Not to sound too cheesy (or whatever the modern equivalent is...man, I feel old! :o) but honestly, no question is stupid!

Keep 'em coming! It's what this thread was set up for! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Thank you! People always gave me the impression that Mary I is a very intensive college and after looking at the other years B.Ed timetables I can see that but the 4 year degree seems to have a slightly lighter workload, well for this semester, hope I haven't spoken too soon! :P

I'm sure it will still be more intense the some courses, but no where near as intense as the old B.Ed. The Teaching Council explicitly criticised the college for the workload and pressure involved in the three year course, so it's great that it has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

Must we pay the Gaeltacht ourselves? How long are they for and what dates approx do we go? :eek:

Must we pay the Gaeltacht ourselves? How long are they for and what dates approx do we go? :eek:

Yes, two weeks times two, and at the end of first and second year (it seems).

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

When do we find out what groups we are in? :)

• Advertisement

When do we find out what groups we are in? :)

If it's not posted online, it will be on the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

Will our school placement (weeks 7-12) be based in Limerick or in our home counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

For the BA does everyone have to do information technology practicals.. or what is that? :confused:

Will our school placement (weeks 7-12) be based in Limerick or in our home counties?

You fill out a questionaire prior to your placement. There normally is an option for an Outreach placement (i.e. in your home county). Tick this option and there's a possibility that you'll get your home county.

The college like to keep people in Limerick but with the huge numbers, it isn't always possible.

For the BA does everyone have to do information technology practicals.. or what is that? :confused:

Looking at your timetable, you'll notice that the IT practicals are in a white section along with a module called "Foundation Studies". That means all BAs are required to do them.

Foundation Studies (which IT practicals fall under) is an introductory module in 1st year. It's a graded subject that introduces you to the basics of academic writing and other skills such as research. I had to do it in 1st year as part of the Psychology side of my course.

The IT practicals aren't too bad and cover things like Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel etc. It also familiarises you with things like downloading your lecture notes and accessing e-mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

is it really essential to pay the 250 registration before we go in on 5th bed? also wat wud the gaeilge modules entail?

grantyrs10 wrote: »
    is it really essential to pay the 250 registration before we go in on 5th bed? also wat wud the gaeilge modules entail?

Personally, I wouldn't want to take any chances...I know it's tough but, when the college gives a deadline, they certainly mean it!! :( Better to be safe than sorry...

Gaeilge modules are always being edited or replaced by something else but, in previous years, 1st years have covered a lot of litríocht (gearrscéaltaí mostly), filíocht, stair and gramadach.

Gaeilge modules are always being edited or replaced by something else but, in previous years, 1st years have covered a lot of litríocht (gearrscéaltaí mostly), filíocht, stair and gramadach.

I'm not sure what (if any) litríocht will be done in the new B.Ed, but I'd doubt what used to be covered as part of GA4711/GA4712 will be part of it. It's no longer Arts Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

250 registration what?!?

TheComeUp wrote: »
    250 registration what?!?
    250 euro fee needs to be paid if eligible for grant

250 euro fee needs to be paid if eligible for grant

What form/sheet does it say that on??? I thought it was €70???? Like theres a sheet with 3 options and the one for the eligible grant is 70!?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

List of fees can be found here:
    http://www.mic.ul.ie/adminservices/finance/Documents/UGFees.pdf

If you are in receipt of a grant the levy fee you pay will vary from course to course

But may I ask where is this €250 euro charge coming from? Like what form/letter is it on? I got that pack the other day and checked to see had I everything according to it and it seems like I do but still I haven't seen €250 mentioned on any of the forms. I've sent my father off to the bank today to pay the college €70 through the Bank Giro thing which is under 'Option A' on the Student Fees form. I even emailed the student fees office yesterday to ask which one I'd fall under and they said that one....but why am I only seeing €70???? Sorry if I sound intense here but I'm just freaking out a little....

But may I ask where is this €250 euro charge coming from? Like what form/letter is it on? I got that pack the other day and checked to see had I everything according to it and it seems like I do but still I haven't seen €250 mentioned on any of the forms. I've sent my father off to the bank today to pay the college €70 through the Bank Giro thing which is under 'Option A' on the Student Fees form. I even emailed the student fees office yesterday to ask which one I'd fall under and they said that one....but why am I only seeing €70???? Sorry if I sound intense here but I'm just freaking out a little....
    CALL that office and put your mind at ease!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

Out of curiosity what are the gym facilities like on the Mary I campus? Are there any and what costs are involved?

Also do students generally bring laptops to lectures or is writing notes sufficent? B.Ed student here by the way if that makes a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Can you let us know what course and year you are going in to and we will clear this up for you as it seems to be causing a lot of confusion :-)

Out of curiosity what are the gym facilities like on the Mary I campus? Are there any and what costs are involved?
    There's a gym but it wouldn't be massive. As for the cost, I wouldn't be the best person to ask :o
    Also do students generally bring laptops to lectures or is writing notes sufficent? B.Ed student here by the way if that makes a difference?
    I noticed some people had started bringing laptops last year, but the norm would be not to. Most lecture slides are put up on Moodle/the LAN, but you should take notes. It takes a while to get used to what you should be noting down, and what you needn't bother. I'd say note taking will be covered with you in the first weeks as part of Becoming a Student Teacher, or whatever name they've put on the module on starting college.

Can you let us know what course and year you are going in to and we will clear this up for you as it seems to be causing a lot of confusion :-)

I PM'd you there :)

Shouldn't the gym be free like most other colleges? It looks pretty class though!

Shouldn't the gym be free like most other colleges? It looks pretty class though!

Have you been in it? Don't confuse the gym facilities, with the building the gym is contained in (Tailteann)!

It wasn't free the last I heard.

dambarude wrote: »
    Have you been in it? Don't confuse the gym facilities, with the building the gym is contained in (Tailteann)!

It wasn't free the last I heard.

Oooooooh okay :L

• Registered Users Posts: 28 taylormoon

Oooooooh okay :L

the weights room, not "gym" :P is 2 euro a session, or 60 euro for the term i believe.

Is my ULID number my student id number ? most form for Bed need this number and i dont know how to find out what it is ??

Is my ULID number my student id number ? most form for Bed need this number and i dont know how to find out what it is ??

I'd assume that the ULID number is your student ID number...but I would advise contacting the Admissions Office tomorrow to be 100% sure!

Contact details should be on one of the forms you received or else look here.

• Advertisement

Yeah they're the same. I found my ID number on the 'Enrolment Form', the one that has 'IMPORTANT DOCUMENT' at the top. The UL ID is given on the next page and the two match so....

Is something up with the Admissions Office? Rang three times yesterday and reached Anne Marie's message machine and emailed yesterday and got no reply. It's really bugging me out too about this fees thing although I was told by the MISU that there'd be no problem and if something needed to be paid I could just fix it up when we all go up next week...

Advertisement