Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime stats. Are Gardai doing enough?

Options
  • 20-08-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Although Waterford is far from the worst in the country, it seems we are in the top 5 for most categories according to Irish times crime stats.
    To answer are Waterford gardai doing enough? I would defeintely say no, anti social behaviour, drinking on street, vandalisim and general lack of respect for the law seems to be common while Gardai on the beat especially at closing times not common at all.

Plenty of Gardai on new safer roads handing out fines though.

http://www.irishtimes.com/topics/crime-statistics-ireland/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

How is it the guards fault that they are being destroyed by the government?

If i hand you a fiver and ask you to do a weeks shopping is it your fault we cant all be fed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Just not enough guards patrolling the streets in my book. The CCTV is no substitute for the physical prescience of a guard. I remember there was vandalism down on the Millennium plaza a few years ago. The graffiti must have taken a few hours to do as it was huge. The fact that no guard passed there at night speaks volumes to me. Likewise lately scum have turned Ballybricken green into a drinking area. The guards are literally passing them going and coming from the station in their cars and they don’t do anything. Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against the guards the opposite I want to see more of them out on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Media999 wrote: »
    How is it the guards fault that they are being destroyed by the government?

If i hand you a fiver and ask you to do a weeks shopping is it your fault we cant all be fed?

No, i would expect Gardai to tackle problems head on, everyone knows about the drinking going on on the green and by city square. I have contacted gardai about it on numerous occaisons and one time the garda was more interested in my details. He didnt want to be annoyed.

everyone knows that 12-3 around john street at weekend is a potential trouble spot but any time im down there at that time, there is no garda to be seen. I was in Liverpool last year and there was a police-van parked outside both the main pub areas at night, with cops on patrol.

In short, i dont think they are doing their job, turning a blind eye to day-to-day crimes which need to be confronted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

BBM77 wrote: »
    Likewise lately scum have turned Ballybricken green into a drinking area. The guards are literally passing them going and coming from the station in their cars and they don’t do anything. Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against the guards the opposite I want to see more of them out on the streets.

Ballybricken Green has always been a place for those who like their drinking alfresco. When I was a kid it was very bad. I went to the mercy and we were warned by teachers and staff not to go there at lunch. It seems to have improved since. But I agree about the police presence in this town. I lived in Dundalk where crime is rife and there is a large presence there. Around every street corner is a garda car, an unmarked garda car or Gardai patrolling on foot. Although crime is not half as bad here I rarely see any Gardai at all.

Not that I believe all that I hear but they did say on the radio today that crime is down. Maybe crime is down because Gardai aren't arresting criminals anymore? Might just be my crackpot theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Maybe it's a case of us just not having enough Gardai rather than them not doing enough??

Does anyone know Gardai numbers in Waterford? I haven't a clue myself, I'm just curious how many are normally on duty at any one time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

The problem is with the legal system and either lenient or no prison sentences handed out to repeat offenders. The majority of crime is caused by the tiniest percent of the population. If the Law Society would get over themselves and stop blocking attempts to bring in mandatory sentencing, you'd see a big drop in crime rates over a few years.Also legalise abortion and allow scum to flush future scum down the toilet before they're even born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Meatwad wrote: »
    The problem is with the legal system and either lenient or no prison sentences handed out to repeat offenders. The majority of crime is caused by the tiniest percent of the population. If the Law Society would get over themselves and stop blocking attempts to bring in mandatory sentencing, you'd see a big drop in crime rates over a few years.Also legalise abortion and allow scum to flush future scum down the toilet before they're even born.

Genghis Kahn is on your left I presume?

Maybe it's a case of us just not having enough Gardai rather than them not doing enough??

Does anyone know Gardai numbers in Waterford? I haven't a clue myself, I'm just curious how many are normally on duty at any one time.

2 to 4 on a night shift.

Destroyed by cutbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I don't agree with your viewpoint on abortion but I do agree with you in relation to the legal system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

From the interactive bit - "All figures are provisional and may be subject to revision. Certain categories of crime are excluded from these data by the CSO."

I wonder what does that mean. The Guards started focussing on "headline crime" back in Bertie's day. I never heard a clear civilian-speak definition of what that meant. I wonder what's been reclassified to the footnotes from the headlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

One of the problems in the Gardaí is the whole attitude to change.

Remember the fiasco surrounding the PULSE system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I whole-heartedly agree with the leniency of sentences.

About the law society blocking attempts to bring in mandatory sentencing, when has this happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

TBH I have totally lost respect for them and the system.
    Girl I work with, her house was burgled a few weeks back, Gardi came out for usual protocol, her BF asked them are they going to do any kind of forensics to catch the burgers, he was told "NO it would be a waste of money and time" :mad:

TBH I have totally lost respect for them and the system.
    Girl I work with, her house was burgled a few weeks back, Gardi came out for usual protocol, her BF asked them are they going to do any kind of forensics to catch the burgers, he was told "NO it would be a waste of money and time" :mad:

If they have no suspect they dont take prints. Only if someone is seen running away or whatever will they take prints.

Bad system alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I whole-heartedly agree with the leniency of sentences.

About the law society blocking attempts to bring in mandatory sentencing, when has this happened?

Could be(probably am) wrong, but I remember a while back an attempt by a few politicians to bring mandatory sentencing in but they got shot down because of the whole state interfeering with the law thing and judges were getting pissed off cause they reckon they don't need guidlines as they are educated enough to make decisions regarding sentences themselves.It mightn't be the law society themselves but I'm almost 100% the judges are against a reform in the law that takes the decision making power out of their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Couldn't agree more. A guy I went to college with was busted for having something 30 oz of weed. It was his first offence and got 6 months probation. Agree with legalizing abortion but just in general, not in a eugenics sort of way. Sorry for being a bit off topic.

Advertisement