Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expired Malt Extract - thanks homebrew

Options
  • 20-08-2012 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought malt extract off homebrew.ie 2 weeks ago (I hadnt seen the warnings on here at that stage). I have the day off today and I am about to make a batch and I realised that the malt extract expired in June. Is it still ok to use?

I see from other threads that this is common with that company - I will be avoiding them in the future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Saw that €2 offer on the spray malt alright and expected as much!

Fair enough if it's out of date, people may still buy it at the discounted rate, but let people know before they purchase.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Thanks BN
    J o e wrote: »
    Saw that €2 offer on the spray malt alright and expected as much!

Fair enough if it's out of date, people may still buy it at the discounted rate, but let people know before they purchase.

I bought this a few days before that offer - I only went with them because the delivery was a bit cheaper! :mad:

So I made a batch of Ginger beer last night along with a batch of brewferm Christmas and a brewferm gallia. The two brewferms are bubbling away but the ginger beer is not. The yeast I used for the ginger beer was also purchased from homebrew.ie - the expiry date on it is not until 2013.

Should I be worried? It's only 12 hours or so since I pitched the yeast but there is no action in the FV where as the other two are going ape.

Thanks

Do you definitely have a sealed container ( push lid to get bubble and see if water levels differ on the u bend of the airlock).

You could check the gravity after a while and see if it's reduced.

• Advertisement

Do you definitely have a sealed container ( push lid to get bubble and see if water levels differ on the u bend of the airlock).

You could check the gravity after a while and see if it's reduced.

Yep it's definitely air tight.... When I push down I get bubbles. I can see the top of it has no foam or head

But after the bubbles and it settles do the levels in the airlock differ. Yeah no foam isn't a good sign.

But after the bubbles and it settles do the levels in the airlock differ. Yeah no foam isn't a good sign.

Yeah the water level in the airlock gets pushed up and then back down. I just had another look, when I pushed down on it I can hear a hissing like its getting out through the seal - only when I push down far enough. The lid is pressed down as far as I can get it.m fermenter also purchased from homebrew.ie

Don't think you're getting me ... I mean if you push the lid until it bubbles through, then unpress and the water at each side of the u bend should differ if it's airtight. Assuming you have a u bend airlock .

Don't think you're getting me ... I mean if you push the lid until it bubbles through, then unpress and the water at each side of the u bend should differ if it's airtight. Assuming you have a u bend airlock .

Ah - yes I do and yes it does! I'm hoping its just that the champagne yeast is slow :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 BMCG100

I fell for this as well (bought 3.5kg of medium DME, €2 per 500g, only saw the June BBD when it arrived).

I minimised the risk by only using 1kg with 2kg of light DME in 2 brews. The first went well as far as I can tell (no abnormal fermentation behaviour or taste). I will know for sure in 2 weeks time when it is ready to drink.

With respect to the ethics of the situation, I believe it's too risky to buy from this chancer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Isn't DME the same as sugar - sugar does not go off. also BB dates are a recommendation, not a rule.

Advertisement