Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15 Mod Warning post #6011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Vincent Lunny has no say in what the charge is or isn't anymore

I never said he did. But he was on BBC this morning saying that the charge was for saying Rangers were dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I never said he did. But he was on BBC this morning saying that the charge was for saying Rangers were dead.

So stating facts is seen as offensive by the SFA. How apt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Eirebear wrote: »
    Given that i may, or may not come under the derogatory term which Guidetti used then i think it's fair comment on my part.
    You have made it clear however that my opinion is not welcome, therefore i shall leave you to it.
    I'll leave some inverted commas for you to place wherever you feel is dismissive enough "".

More Drivel. I didnt say your opinion wasnt welcome, I just wished you were as quick to discuss the ongoings of your own club. Big difference.

You seem to have gone out of your way to be offended. No surprise there.
    "It would appear that their focus is on the comment attacking Rangers or making fun of Rangers for having gone into liquidation back in 2012.

"It is, I think, significant that there's no mention of it being sectarian or otherwise based on religion.

"[Celtic forward] Leigh Griffiths this time last year was sent a charge for singing 'Hearts are going bust'.

"For me, the problem with this case and with the Griffiths case is you've got professionals who are making fun of other clubs in difficulty. People are losing their jobs within football and it's simply not appropriate for players to behave in public in that manner.

"There are different standards between the fans and the players. The players are directly under the jurisdiction of the SFA, the fans are not.

"Any rule against fan behaviour is against the club. It would have to be fairly serious for a club to be prosecuted for fans singing something and probably would have to be a criminal-type scenario or grossly offensive for that to be done.

"That is not necessarily the case here with players. You expect fans to make fun of other clubs and taking delight in another club's demise is not surprising for fans to do but for players to do it is perhaps something completely different."

The SFA are holding players to ridiculous & petty standards. Its pathetic really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I've missed the Guidetti thing... What is it he's done?

Stated facts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Dempsey wrote: »
    Stated facts

he'd have gotten a yellow card on boards.ie for what he said :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

He "sang" a song about him that the fans sing on a Dutch TV programme. See here:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/celtics-john-guidetti-hit-sfa-5387466

Apparently some people think he was referring to people of a specific religious persuasion being dead, rather than a football club. Bizarre, but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

PauloMN wrote: »
    He "sang" a song about him that the fans sing on a Dutch TV programme. See here:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/celtics-john-guidetti-hit-sfa-5387466

Apparently some people think he was referring to people of a specific religious persuasion being dead, rather than a football club. Bizarre, but there you go.

Bit of stretch to put it mildly the religious angle given how pretty much every clubs support uses the same word in reference to them as slang. Given most Scottish people are protestant they would not be using that word if it had any religious conotations which it does not.

eire4 wrote: »
    Bit of stretch to put it mildly the religious angle given how pretty much every clubs support uses the same word in reference to them as slang. Given most Scottish people are protestant they would not be using that word if it had any religious conotations which it does not.

They are playing the religious angle because there is currently a race to the bottom in terms of what football fans can be offended by in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Surprised to see Henderson go on loan to Rosenberg, thought he would have been in line to get some game time towards the end of the season.

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    Surprised to see Henderson go on loan to Rosenberg, thought he would have been in line to get some game time towards the end of the season.

Given how close the league is still with 10 games to go Delia obviously feels this is better for him as he probably won't have too many league games where he can introduce more academy players. Plus it is a 3 month deal which means he will be returning match sharp for pre season and thus maybe able to contribute more in the early champions league rounds.

If they start him regularly, it will benefit him more than what he has been getting at Celtic this season. Deila has still quite abit of work to do with the first team players so I imagine fringe players wont get much more time. Deila will probably have to put the wasters in the shop window if he's coasting along as they will be the reason he'll be restricted in the transfer window

eire4 wrote: »
    Given how close the league is still with 10 games to go Delia obviously feels this is better for him as he probably won't have too many league games where he can introduce more academy players. Plus it is a 3 month deal which means he will be returning match sharp for pre season and thus maybe able to contribute more in the early champions league rounds.
    If they start him regularly, it will benefit him more than what he has been getting at Celtic this season. Deila has still quite abit of work to do with the first team players so I imagine fringe players wont get much more time. Deila will probably have to put the wasters in the shop window if he's coasting along as they will be the reason he'll be restricted in the transfer window

True, I thought when I first heard the news that it might be the start of the end for Henderson at Celtic but Delia has made it clear that game time is the most important thing for Henderson at this stage of his development.

Hopefully he'll make an impact at Rosenborg and get plenty of games

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Well did ye miss me :)

Good move for Henderson. We've had success bringing players from Scandinavia in the past so it is a good environment for him to develop at. I think he was getting reasonable game time with us but there is more to it than that. The change of scenery, coaching staff etc will help him mature. Plus he should be match sharp for our CL qualifiers.

I wonder who our cover for CM is now though. Perhaps drop Johansen back and use Forrest/Commons/GMS/Armstrong in the 3 attacking roles.

Looking forward to tonight's game. Feels like years since we've played. Gutted it's "Good" Friday though - for once we get a Friday night televised game and I can't go to the pub to watch it because this country is stuck in medieval times :(

Intifada wrote: »
    Well did ye miss me :)

Good move for Henderson. We've had success bringing players from Scandinavia in the past so it is a good environment for him to develop at. I think he was getting reasonable game time with us but there is more to it than that. The change of scenery, coaching staff etc will help him mature. Plus he should be match sharp for our CL qualifiers.

I wonder who our cover for CM is now though. Perhaps drop Johansen back and use Forrest/Commons/GMS/Armstrong in the 3 attacking roles.

Looking forward to tonight's game. Feels like years since we've played. Gutted it's "Good" Friday though - for once we get a Friday night televised game and I can't go to the pub to watch it because this country is stuck in medieval times :(

Surely you bought a bag of cans yesterday?! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Fairly drab game so far. Celtic creating more than St. Mirren, but no joy so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

PauloMN wrote: »
    Fairly drab game so far. Celtic creating more than St. Mirren, but no joy so far.

St Mirren getting more into it as half wore on.

Celtic have a lot of possession but creating nothing.

Very dull stuff. The limitations of forrest is shocking compared to what he was a few years ago.

Forrest scores, 0-1 to the Hoops. That'll do his confidence the world of good.

Johansen makes it 2 with a nicely taken penalty after a handball in the box.

• Advertisement

Dull game because only 1 team tried to win the match. Hopefully Forrest will kick on after tonight, his general play can be patchy at times. Stokes was anonymous for large spells of that! 3 points on the road is always welcome regardless of the performance

Only caught the last half hour, dominated the bit I saw. Was impressed again with Brown, he has grown into a great player & leader in the team.

Only caught the last half hour, dominated the bit I saw. Was impressed again with Brown, he has grown into a great player & leader in the team.

He's doing that so consistently, he almost doesnt get the credit he deserves! It often takes him missing a match to remind everyone what he brings to the team and how important it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

:pac: Tunnocks Teacakes

:pac: Tunnocks Teacakes

Literally as soon as the camera went to Griffiths on the bench he whipped out a tea cake and stuffed it in his gob!

Deila will make him run a couple of miles for that! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

vQwX2L.gif

mlQgd4.gif

He's doing that so consistently, he almost doesnt get the credit he deserves! It often takes him missing a match to remind everyone what he brings to the team and how important it is.

Hopefully we can get through tonight ok without him as he is suspended for tonight. I imagine it will be Johansen in alongside Biton with Commons in front of them with Brown out.

Triple whammy for Partick, converted peno, red card and conceding on the stroke of half time.

No complaints about the decision though which is almost strange not to see the referee not crowded by players bitching about a decision

• Advertisement

Good linkup player in both clips from Guidetti, 2nd goal was a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is there any chance Guidetti will be here next season. Best striker at the club by some distance.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Is there any chance Guidetti will be here next season. Best striker at the club by some distance.

Very slim chance he'll stay, he's a good player but his consistency has let him down this season. He's had as many bad games as good. That may be done down to the uncertainty over his future but I wouldn't be breaking the bank for him

He's had as many bad games as good.
    I don't think this is true at all, unless you are classing every game he hasn't scored as a bad one.

• Advertisement

I don't think this is true at all, unless you are classing every game he hasn't scored as a bad one.

No not at all but the drop in confidence due to the run of games without a goal had a big impact on his game. In fact I'd say that the idea of a striker being able to play well without getting on the scoresheet probably needs to be explained to Guidetti.

No not at all but the drop in confidence due to the run of games without a goal had a big impact on his game. In fact I'd say that the idea of a striker being able to play well without getting on the scoresheet probably needs to be explained to Guidetti.
    Possibly. That is Deila's job to explain it though. Obviously it doesn't help that the media and a lot of our fans aren't able to grasp the fact either.

Possibly. That is Deila's job to explain it though. Obviously it doesn't help that the media and a lot of our fans aren't able to grasp the fact either.

Surely Guidetti is partly responsible?

I can't see Celtic renegotiating the deal already put to him nor do I think they should which I'd guess will see him leave. It could be one that comes back to bite us if he goes somewhere & shines but thats far from certain

He's 22. It is the manager's job to make sure his contribution is valued, when the media and our fans are giving out that he hasn't scored in X games I expect Deila has said to him "you scored two great goals that were ruled out by inept officials" or "you've set up your fair share of goals".
    I can't see Celtic renegotiating the deal already put to him nor do I think they should which I'd guess will see him leave. It could be one that comes back to bite us if he goes somewhere & shines but thats far from certain
    He will leave and we will go into Europe next season without any strikers capable of scoring at that level, or we will sign some more ****ehawks who play 5 games before being loaned out until their contract expires.

Guidetti is the exact type of player we can hope to sign in our position. Big talent at a discount price. We're not going to spend the £8-10m required to bring in a quality striker so we either offer as much as we can to someone like Guidetti, or continue signing dross. Unless you know of any other good strikers who have been out of action for a while and available on a free.

Of course Celtic should renegotiate with him. We should offer him the best wages we can, make him top earner or at the very least joint top earner with Scott Brown. I've heard rumours they offered him 18k a week, Scott Brown is on 22k a week I believe, bump up the offer to match that at the very least. If that's not enough, then so be it, but they should definitely offer it to him, if they haven't already. He is by far the best striker currently at the club, and we wont get a better striker than John Guidetti.

• Advertisement

Good linkup player in both clips from Guidetti, 2nd goal was a cracker

The whole build up for the second goal was top quality and credit to Guidetti indeed excellent passes from him setting up both goals. A good comfortable win although we probably should have had the game done and dusted inside the first 10 minutes with all the chances we created and missed. That opening spell was unreal it could easily have been 4-0 after 10 minutes. It is amazing how many times we have won 2-0 this season really.

I'd offer him a largely performance based contract, looks like a player that loses focus easily

I'd offer him a largely performance based contract, looks like a player that loses focus easily
    You're only saying that 'cos looks like he won't be staying. You do agree that he's the best striker at the club?

Of course Celtic should renegotiate with him. We should offer him the best wages we can, make him top earner or at the very least joint top earner with Scott Brown. I've heard rumours they offered him 18k a week, Scott Brown is on 22k a week I believe, bump up the offer to match that at the very least. If that's not enough, then so be it, but they should definitely offer it to him, if they haven't already. He is by far the best striker currently at the club, and we wont get a better striker than John Guidetti.

I really can't see what Guidetti has done to suggest he should be the highest earner at the club?!

He had a great start to the season but has then followed with a poor few months, not exactly the kind of return that should have us throwing cash at him IMO.

The Guidetti from the early season was by far the best striker at the club but on performances in the last few months he's fighting to get back in the team.

It'd be a risk to sign him on big money imo due to his inconsistency

You're only saying that 'cos looks like he won't be staying. You do agree that he's the best striker at the club?

All round game can be better than Griffiths but Griffiths is a better finisher and he can actually be relied on when the going gets tough.

Most of what he's done is expected by a Celtic striker in domestic competition. Whilst the competition has been middlling too poor, he certainly hasnt shown why he should be the highest earner at the club. Plenty of other players have better claims to matching Scott Brown's pay grade than him and they still wouldnt get it

All round game can be better than Griffiths but Griffiths is a better finisher and he can actually be relied on when the going gets tough.

When did the going get tough this season exactly, bar in the Europa League? Guidetti was not available for the EL prior to Christmas. Against Inter he came on and scored the equaliser at Parkhead, he should've started that game in my opinion. He looked more the part than Griffiths did when he came on. Griffiths and Stokes are fine at SPL level. Guidetti is a step up from them.
    Most of what he's done is expected by a Celtic striker in domestic competition. Whilst the competition has been middlling too poor, he certainly hasnt shown why he should be the highest earner at the club. Plenty of other players have better claims to matching Scott Brown's pay grade than him and they still wouldnt get it

I think he definitely has shown enough that he is the striker the club has been looking for for a few years, especially since Hooper left. He had a drop in form after a blistering start, but has recovered form a bit. I also think if he signed a permanent deal and with a full pre-season, he'd hit the ground running next season and he'd be more consistent.

Over the last few seasons Celtic have signed numerous strikers for around 2 to 3 million, Pukki, Bangura, Balde all of them write offs, and Scepovic doesn't look promising either. Guidetti is a 4 to 5 million pound striker. I would offer him a deal to match Scott Brown as top earner, because I doubt we'll get a better striker than Guidetti. That probably wouldn't be enough to get him signed up, but I'd offer it and see what happens.

I really can't see what Guidetti has done to suggest he should be the highest earner at the club?!

He had a great start to the season but has then followed with a poor few months, not exactly the kind of return that should have us throwing cash at him IMO.

The Guidetti from the early season was by far the best striker at the club but on performances in the last few months he's fighting to get back in the team.

It'd be a risk to sign him on big money imo due to his inconsistency

He is worth the risk, no doubt about it in my mind. We probably won't get him anyway even if we offered to make him joint top earner.

We'll go into the CL qualifiers with Stokes or Griffiths as the main striker, unless Scepovic all of a sudden starts to look like a player. Scepovic looks like he could end up out on loan with the other 2 million quid duds.

When did the going get tough this season exactly, bar in the Europa League? Guidetti was not available for the EL prior to Christmas. Against Inter he came on and scored the equaliser at Parkhead, he should've started that game in my opinion. He looked more the part than Griffiths did when he came on. Griffiths and Stokes are fine at SPL level. Guidetti is a step up from them.

I think he definitely has shown enough that he is the striker the club has been looking for for a few years, especially since Hooper left. He had a drop in form after a blistering start, but has recovered form a bit. I also think if he signed a permanent deal and with a full pre-season, he'd hit the ground running next season and he'd be more consistent.

Over the last few seasons Celtic have signed numerous strikers for around 2 to 3 million, Pukki, Bangura, Balde all of them write offs, and Scepovic doesn't look promising either. Guidetti is a 4 to 5 million pound striker. I would offer him a deal to match Scott Brown as top earner, because I doubt we'll get a better striker than Guidetti. That probably wouldn't be enough to get him signed up, but I'd offer it and see what happens.

The going got tough with the run of games before christmas and he didnt score for a few months. And yes, we arent even talking about European Competition, he is completely unproven at that level.

You cant blame preseason when you'r slump comes 3 months into the season after abit of transfer speculation after he had abit of form. He seems easily distracted and he was talking during the season about joining other clubs. Those question marks dont get answered by a preseason.

I wouldnt offer his parity with Scott Brown because a) he hasnt earned b) it could cause problems with the rest of the squad as some will feel they have done more to earn such a deal, and they be right.

If he's serious about his development, it shouldnt take money to sign him. Celtic have shown he could benefit from staying and learning his trade more. If he wants to roll the dice despite being offered a good contract, i'd let him

The going got tough with the run of games before christmas and he didnt score for a few months. And yes, we arent even talking about European Competition, he is completely unproven at that level.

You cant blame preseason when you'r slump comes 3 months into the season after abit of transfer speculation after he had abit of form. He seems easily distracted and he was talking during the season about joining other clubs. Those question marks dont get answered by a preseason.

I wouldnt offer his parity with Scott Brown because a) he hasnt earned b) it could cause problems with the rest of the squad as some will feel they have done more to earn such a deal, and they be right.

If he's serious about his development, it shouldnt take money to sign him. Celtic have shown he could benefit from staying and learning his trade more. If he wants to roll the dice despite being offered a good contract, i'd let him

Well now this is a noble sentiment and I'd like to agree with you, but money will play a big role in what happens unfortunately.

I would offer him the same as Brown. We need a striker for the CL to get us there and if we get there. He's the best striker we've had at the club in a few years. He has shown enough so far to warrant pushing the boat out a bit to get him. With a permanent deal and his future more settled he'd be a great signing if a deal can be done.

Well now this is a noble sentiment and I'd like to agree with you, but money will play a big role in what happens unfortunately.

I would offer him the same as Brown. We need a striker for the CL to get us there and if we get there. He's the best striker we've had at the club in a few years. He has shown enough so far to warrant pushing the boat out a bit to get him. With a permanent deal and his future more settled he'd be a great signing if a deal can be done.

I'd offer him the going rate, i.e. what Stokes & Griffith is getting, with an agreement to renegotiate in 2 years time or a heavily performance based contract that amounts to a high wage. No chance I'd offer him what Brown is getting at this stage. And, iIf he believes he's little/nothing to learn after a season like that, I'd pull the contract off the table.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement