Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15 Mod Warning post #6011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Precisely, they're only a new club so there should be no bad feelings at all between us and Sevco.
    Sebcoe
    220px-Lord_Coe_-_World_Economic_Forum_Annual_Meeting_2012_cropped.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

It's 20 years since I did that Road Trip , Is it Still Murder ? What's the cost ?

galait wrote: »
    It's 20 years since I did that Road Trip , Is it Still Murder ? What's the cost ?

Road trip is much better now mate with motorways, 90 mins to 2 hours to Belfast, about 2 hours from Cairnryan to CP. Best €95 you'll ever spend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Road trip is much better now mate with motorways, 90 mins to 2 hours to Belfast, about 2 hours from Cairnryan to CP. Best €95 you'll ever spend :D
    would it be bad form to skip an exam for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://m.stv.tv/sport/blog/186280-what-are-the-financial-implications-of-champions-league-qualification/

For anyone looking to crunch numbers.

i think celtic need to sort out the current outstanding contracts, i.e. hooper, wanyama & stokes plus add a cb & striker. maybe renew our interest in henriksen if the price is right.

Dempsey wrote: »
    http://m.stv.tv/sport/blog/186280-what-are-the-financial-implications-of-champions-league-qualification/

i think celtic need to sort out the current outstanding contracts, i.e. hooper, wanyama & stokes plus add a cb & striker. maybe renew our interest in henriksen if the price is right.
    yeah looking at that our accounts are in peril

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Interesting, much more than I thought tbh. I thought that we got around £9m to £10m in total between participation money and TV money for being in the group stages of the CL the two times during Strachan's reign. £17m/€20m is just fantastic.

I do think that realistically that some more money should be put into the Europa League to help clubs playing in that competition, even at the expense of the CL - but I suppose it's all market driven i.e. more people watching CL, better advertising revenue etc.. Hopefully, all going well next week, it won't matter to us all what the money in the Europa League is anyway. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

yeah looking at that our accounts are in peril

I'd rather be in Div 3 tbh. At least we'd have no debt. :mad: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Is that all??? ..... Quick!! Get the old rangers back. We're dying here without them!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Is that all??? ..... Quick!! Get the old rangers back. We're dying here without them!! :rolleyes:

Those figures makes a mockery of Green's comments:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I think the new Champions League contract from 2012/15 is slightly down on previous years but still that is great money for Celtic. Although it would be great if another Scottish team got into the Champ League for the co.eff it reduces the market pool aspect of the money for Celtic.

would it be bad form to skip an exam for it?
    Of course it would, but some things in life are just too important. I'll keep you a seat :D

PauloMN wrote: »
    Interesting, much more than I thought tbh. I thought that we got around £9m to £10m in total between participation money and TV money for being in the group stages of the CL the two times during Strachan's reign. £17m/€20m is just fantastic.

Sponsorship deals etc have increased alot since Strachan's reign so there is more pie to go around!

Last year

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/management/finance/news/newsid=1840934.html

A total of €754.1m was distributed to clubs participating in the UEFA Champions League last season

A pdf breaking down the amounts handed out is in the article

This year

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/management/finance/news/newsid=1845591.html

The estimated gross commercial revenue from the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Super Cup is €1.34bn
    Some 75% of the total revenue from media rights and commercial contracts concluded by UEFA, up to a maximum of €530m, will go to the clubs, while the remaining 25% will be reserved for European football and remain with UEFA to cover organisational and administrative costs and solidarity payments to associations, clubs and leagues.

A total of 82% of any revenue received from the same stream in excess of €530m will be allocated to the clubs, with the other 18% allotted to European football and remaining with UEFA for the purposes listed above.

That puts the projected total pay out at over €1bn by my very rough calculations.

Badabing, I dont know where you heard that the UCL intake was down on previous years. Champions League is getting significantly stronger as a money making exercise for UEFA but I'd agree that the wealth distribution by UEFA needs to improve.

Sponsorship deals etc have increased alot since Strachan's reign so there is more pie to go around!

Last year

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/management/finance/news/newsid=1840934.html

A total of €754.1m was distributed to clubs participating in the UEFA Champions League last season

A pdf breaking down the amounts handed out is in the article

This year

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/management/finance/news/newsid=1845591.html

The estimated gross commercial revenue from the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Super Cup is €1.34bn

That puts the projected total pay out at over €1bn by my very rough calculations.

Badabing, I dont know where you heard that the UCL intake was down on previous years. Champions League is getting significantly stronger as a money making exercise for UEFA but I'd agree that the wealth distribution by UEFA needs to improve.

It was just that sky/itv paid less for 2012/15 than before but maybe europe wise its up.

Badabing wrote: »
    It was just that sky/itv paid less for 2012/15 than before but maybe europe wise its up.

AFAIK, there is more companies buying rights to matches so maybe UEFA took the opportunity to reduce the cost to tv companies so they can further increase market share and accessibility for smaller countries/tv companies.

Over the last few years the payout by UEFA to UCL clubs is at record levels despite the economic climate. Hopefully Celtic can maintain a easy route to UCL ball for that all important €21m+ cash cow.

• Advertisement

Yeah your right its only nit picking at the edges, with regards to next year do Scottish teams still get into 3rd qual rd like this year? praying we get tru next weeks return leg first before worrying about next year.

Yeah your right its only nit picking at the edges, with regards to next year do Scottish teams still get into 3rd qual rd like this year? praying we get tru next weeks return leg first before worrying about next year.

Any success will be offset by the decline of Rangers contribution to the coefficients. I expect us to have to qualify like this for several seasons to come tbh. As long as perform well enough to be seeded, it shouldnt be a big deal imo

EDIT

Ki deal to be concluded by the weekend

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/186781-celtic-midfielder-ki-sung-yueng-agrees-in-principle-to-swansea-city-move/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

If Celtic win league next season we will be in 2nd qualifying round for Champ League :mad: that'll mean an early July start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

If Celtic win league next season we will be in 2nd qualifying round for Champ League :mad: that'll mean an early July start.

What if Celtic makes it into the 1/4 finals this season? Wouldn't that effect the ranking for Scotland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Lars1916 wrote: »
    What if Celtic makes it into the 1/4 finals this season? Wouldn't that effect the ranking for Scotland?

The ranking is effected based on results against teams with higher coefficient.

So getting to the quarter final will guarantee a boost of coefficient for Scotland, but it doesn't come into effect right away.

1/4 final? Lets not get carried away :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Do Celtic not have a sponsor on their jersrys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

have to say the Celtic jersey without the sponsor looked class.

TheBuilder wrote: »

So getting to the quarter final will guarantee a boost of coefficient for Scotland, but it doesn't come into effect right away.

Thought, they would update the coefficients every season ;)

Maybe the 1/4 final is too far fetched, maybe I'll settle for a third place in the group and then going all the way in the Europa League :D

TheBuilder wrote: »

The ranking is effected by playing and getting results in as many European games as possible. Continually progressing through to the latter stages of competitions will improve your coefficient.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient

Check out club coefficients for the points awarded for competition progression.

This season's results will effect next season's country/team coefficients and those changes will be reflected in next season's access list.

kksaints wrote: »
    Do Celtic not have a sponsor on their jersrys?

There is not sponsoring on the jerseys for alcohol and tobacco allowed in the Champions League, afaik.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    There is not sponsoring on the jerseys for alcohol and tobacco allowed in the Champions League, afaik.

I thought it was because the match was in Sweden and their laws dont allow alcohol advertising? Tennents was on the jersey for the HJK matches, home & away

Personally I hate the white back on our jerseys when playing in Europe.
    Apparently a UEFA rule that names and numbers have to appear across one field of colour.
    No sponsor looks the business right enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I thought it was because the match was in Sweden and their laws dont allow alcohol advertising? Tennents was on the jersey for the HJK matches, home & away

That can't be, there was a Heineken billboard behind one of the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It kinda defeats the purpose I think, because most people will notice straight away that there is no sponsor on the jersey therefore drawing more attention to it and now making it more noticeable, driving them to check what it usually is. If it was left on it might go unnoticed. I don't know what Helsinborgs sponsor was and I watch the match.

Nerd talk over

karma_ wrote: »

http://www.eucam.info/eucam/home/news.html/1881/1205/the-people-of-sweden-say-no-to-alcohol-advertising

Seems Sweden does have issues with alcohol advertising and circumvention.

From Wiki
    According to Swedish law, advertisements for alcohol are generally forbidden. However, advertisement is permitted for beverages identified as "class 1" or "light beer." Other beverages, such as medium and strong beers (3.5% alcohol or more), which share a name with advertised light beers may benefit from this. Since 2005, newspapers have allowed advertisements for wine, and later for spirits, based on the provisions of an EU directive[citation needed]. The government of Sweden has protested these advertisements, but EU laws are applicable in Sweden unless clearly shown to be invalid in Swedish jurisdiction. These advertisements contain warnings which are worded less strongly than the warnings on tobacco products - for example, "Avoid drinking while pregnant," as opposed to "smoking kills."

Celtic probably looking to steer clear of any legal issues.

UEFA could have special dispensation to advertise all its commercial partners like the way FIFA will be able to sell alcohol at Brazil WC stadiums despite strict laws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

karma_ wrote: »

It could be that Heineken want to be the only beer advertised?

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It could be that Heineken want to be the only beer advertised?

We've advertised Tennents & Carling before in European competitions despite Heineken being a commercial partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Both Sweden and France (the only two countries I can think of) are pretty strict with alcohol advertising.

We've advertised Tennents & Carling before in European competitions despite Heineken being a commercial partner.

I specifically remember Rangers having the Carling logo blacked out during some European matches.... can't remember what country it was though.

I specifically remember Rangers having the Carling logo blacked out during some European matches.... can't remember what country it was though.

I think, it's the same in France, as it is in Sweden.

Anyway, Heinecken is one of the official sponsors of the Championsleague, they are allowed to do that sort of thing.

Also remember one matchday in Dortmund, the club got in trouble, because there was a banner put over one of those 'official' advertising boards :mad:

It was against Lyon, and looked like a big strip of masking tape over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

That's because it basically was! :D

Eirebear wrote: »

That's because it basically was! :D
    Do JJB not sell sponsorless tops? :)

• Advertisement

hoooooly shiiiit ... I didnt notice the arm at first i was lookin to see what happened his leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

have to say the Celtic jersey without the sponsor looked class.

I totally agree. I always try and buy the jersey's without a sponsor if at all possible.

Oh holy Jesus Christ on a bike!!
    Ooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

Lenny saying they're working on getting 3 or 4 players in before window closes.
    With Kayal and Ledley out for a few weeks we really need to strengthen up a bit

• Advertisement

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/187105-celtic-keeping-tabs-on-japanese-duo-maya-yoshida-and-yuki-otsu/

Celtic manager Neil Lennon says he is keeping tabs on Japanese duo Maya Yoshida and Yuki Otsu.

Money spinners but I've been hearing that they are actually solid players and would be good squad players for us. Also Lennon said that Celtic wont be bidding on Otsu this window. Lennon wouldnt be trying to tap the player up, would he?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/187105-celtic-keeping-tabs-on-japanese-duo-maya-yoshida-and-yuki-otsu/

Celtic manager Neil Lennon says he is keeping tabs on Japanese duo Maya Yoshida and Yuki Otsu.

Money spinners but I've been hearing that they are actually solid players and would be good squad players for us. Also Lennon said that Celtic wont be bidding on Otsu this window. Lennon wouldnt be trying to tap the player up, would he?? :pac:

Otsu would be a very good signing, and more than a squad player IMO.

Corholio wrote: »
    Otsu would be a very good signing, and more than a squad player IMO.

What I meant by squad player is that he'll be in and out of the team. I dont see him as a nailed on starter because he's not going to get into the team ahead of Ledley, Brown, Kayal or Wanyama. He'd be fighting it out for a starting position Samaras, McGeouch, Forrest, Commons and maybe Stokes if he can convince Lennon to play 4-5-1 more often.

Its now official, Ki is a Swansea player

http://www.swanseacity.net/news/article/ki-signs-333112.aspx

Only a 3 year contract though which is abit strange for a record signing! Best of luck to him, it will be interesting to see how he gets on

EDIT

Lewis Toshney has gone on loan to Dundee, he really needed to keep getting 1st team football in the SPL for his own development. I hope he has a good season.

James Keatings has gone on loan to Hamilton, he's been riddled with injuries AFAIK. Hope the worst is behind him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Best of luck to ki,hopefully he can fulfill his potential there

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement