Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15 Mod Warning post #6011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

any predictions lads? lawell and co cutting it fine to the transfer window by waiting on a result tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Is Daryl Murphy still injured? Before the 1st leg the sports news said he was, but today they mentioned who was injured and he wasn't named? Doubt he'll get many games this year anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

any predictions lads? lawell and co cutting it fine to the transfer window by waiting on a result tonight

2-1 to the Hoops, with plenty of squeaky bum moments. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

eire4 wrote: »
    Should be close to a full house tonight. Hopefully a great European night on tap for us. I am a bit anxious about our lineup though with so many important players either out for sure or others seemingly carrying injuries.

I reckon it will be
                    Forster

Matthews, Wilson, Mulgrew, Izaguirre

Brown      Wanyama

Forrest      Commons     Samaras

Hooper

I dont think Rogne will be fit, still will be a very strong Celtic lineup but an inexperienced bench.

We will miss out on transfer targets, it was always going to happen by playing it this safe. I rather go into the season with what we have that have panic buys tbh
    Jason Todd wrote: »
    Is Daryl Murphy still injured? Before the 1st leg the sports news said he was, but today they mentioned who was injured and he wasn't named? Doubt he'll get many games this year anyway.

He's recovered from his hamstring injury but he will not start and likely not even get off the bench. Reports suggesting he will join Ipswich for the season on loan. If so, Lawwell will have cleared out every piece of deadwood except Josh Thompson, which is impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Dempsey wrote: »
    I rather go into the season with what we have that have panic buys tbh

Agree 100% this time 12 months is a far more important transfer window for Celtic, a respectable European campaign under our belts, and a very good financial outlook and we should be able to attract a higher calibre of player in 12 months than right now.

• Advertisement

From Official Twitter Feed:

Tonight's Celtic starting XI: (4-4-2) Forster; Matthews, Wilson, Mulgrew, Izaguirre; Forrest, Brown, Wanyama, Samaras; Commons, Hooper

Subs: Zaluska, McCourt, Lustig, Rogne, Murphy, Watt, F. Twardzik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have feeling it will be draw tonight.

If you do get early goal I think you could win by few more.

Dont overdue it tonight. You guys have massive game this weekend. Its the new OF game;).

Have feeling it will be draw tonight.

If you do get early goal I think you could win by few more.

Dont overdue it tonight. You guys have massive game this weekend. Its the new OF game;).
    fighting it out for top of the table haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

George Hamilton just said the draw is tomorrow, I thought the draw was Friday

• Advertisement

that commentator can fúck off with his poznan... their even singing "were doing the huddle"

Wouldn't mind Arsenal from Pot 1. They'd still be faves of course but looks like they will struggle this year with Van Persie and others leaving the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Wouldn't mind Arsenal from Pot 1. They'd still be faves of course but looks like they will struggle this year with Van Persie and others leaving the club.

I'd imagine because of our home form and atmosphere we'll be the team in pot 4 most teams will want to avoid, it's going to be tough to get even 3rd place but can't see us being embarrassed

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'd imagine because of our home form and atmosphere we'll be the team in pot 4 most teams will want to avoid, it's going to be tough to get even 3rd place but can't see us being embarrassed

Dortmund, PSG, Montpellier & Galatasaray are in Pot 4. We are not the most feared team in Pot 4, not by a long shot imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Dortmund, PSG, Montpellier & Galatasaray are in Pot 4. We are not the most feared team in Pot 4, not by a long shot imo

Dortmund is not the most feared team either :D

Lenny says he'd like a Battle of Britain with an English side.

The list I saw earlier on wiki(i think) had PSG & Galatasaray both in pot 3, not the most reliable source but either way I think we'll give anyone a game at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Lenny says he'd like a Battle of Britain with an English side.

Final against ManCity? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ah here, come on. Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva or Charlie Mulgrew and Gary Hooper. Lets not let the green and white goggles get in the way of realism.

The list I saw earlier on wiki(i think) had PSG & Galatasaray both in pot 3, not the most reliable source but either way I think we'll give anyone a game at home.
    Just spotted this, sub in Lewandowski and Hummels so.

• Advertisement

Pot 1
    Chelsea (ENG)
    Barcelona (ESP)
    Man United (ENG)
    Bayern Muchen (GER)
    Real Madrid (ESP)
    Arsenal (ENG)
    FC Porto (POR)
    AC Milan (ITA)

Pot 2
    Valencia (ESP)
    Benfica (POR)
    Shakhtat Donetsk (UKR)
    Zenit St Petersburg (RUS)
    Shalke 04 (GER)
    Man City (ENG)
    SC Braga (POR)
    FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)

Pot 3
    Olympiacos (GRE)
    Ajax Amesterdam (NED)
    RSC Anderlecht (BEL)
    Juventus (ITA)
    FC Spartak Moskva (RUS)
    Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)
    LOSC Lille Métropole (FRA)
    Galatasaray (TUR)

Pot 4
    Celtic FC (SCO)
    Borussia Dortrmund (GER)
    FC BATE Borisov (BLR)
    GNK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
    CFR 1907 Cluj (ROU)
    Málaga CF (ESP)
    Montpellier (FRA)
    Nordsjaellan (DEN)

There's the teams for the draw tomorrow.

I'd like a Battle of Britain for a bit of publicity like Lenny says. Perfect draw for me would be Arsenal, Braga and Spartak. Great to be back in the big time.

CSF wrote: »
    Ah here, come on. Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva or Charlie Mulgrew and Gary Hooper. Lets not let the green and white goggles get in the way of realism.

Where exactly in my post did I suggest we were anywhere near that standard??

In fact if you bothered to read it you'd have seen I said it'll be tough for us to get 3rd place so think you might want to change your goggles

In fact if you bothered to read it you'd have seen I said it'll be tough for us to get 3rd place so think you might want to change your goggles
    So why would anyone want to avoid Celtic as opposed to teams like Dortmund and PSG who might actually make a dent in the knockout stages?

So why would anyone want to avoid Celtic as opposed to teams like Dortmund and PSG who might actually make a dent in the knockout stages?

Well for a start PSG aren't in pot 4 so you can rule them out, yes Dortmund are a very good team so I'll give you that one but I think we'll give teams a tougher game than any of the others in pot 4. Do you disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I would want Arsenal to avoid Celtic over Gala & MontP for sure.

Higher seeds, Basel & København, going out actually does push PSG & Galatasaray into Pot 3. I rather they stayed in Pot4 tbh

Soups123 wrote: »

I would like Arsenal from Pot 1;)

Well for a start PSG aren't in pot 4 so you can rule them out, yes Dortmund are a very good team so I'll give you that one but I think we'll give teams a tougher game than any of the others in pot 4. Do you disagree?
    Yes I disagree about Malaga, Dortmund and Montpellier. All significantly better teams than Celtic.

I'd go for Porto, Kyiv, Spartak & us, long trips for the away games against Kyiv and Spartak but winable at home

• Advertisement

I want Real Madrid, ManC & PSG. We'd get more revenue from the market pool payout that way.
    Yes I disagree about Malaga, Dortmund and Montpellier. All significantly better teams than Celtic.

Malaga? No chance, they've pawned off their best players this summer

Good for you, I guess we'll find out soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Soups123 wrote: »

Nah you don't want us, apparently we're just waiting to click

I want Real Madrid, ManC & PSG. We'd get more revenue from the market pool payout that way.

Jesus Dempsey are you a sadist? I'm all for getting more money but at least give us a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Well done lads, enjoy it whoever you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

To be fair, outside Real and Barca I imagine most teams would want to avoid Celtic from pot 4. You might be more or less guaranteed three points off them at home, but going to Parkhead on a European night won't be comfortable for many teams. There's no doubting they're better sides, but that doesn't count for everything when it comes to a game at Parkhead.

Well done anyway, i'm sure the fans will enjoy it regardless.

• Advertisement

Jesus Dempsey are you a sadist? I'm all for getting more money but at least give us a chance

If we learned alot from Udinese, Atletico Madrid & Rennes, imagine what we could learn from 3 of the biggest spending clubs on the face of the earth :pac:

If we learned alot from Udinese, Atletico Madrid & Rennes, imagine what we could learn from 3 of the biggest spending clubs on the face of the earth :pac:

Champions League winners 2014!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Obviously you'd want a German team in there, for the massive tv-money they pay out.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Obviously you'd want a German team in there, for the massive tv-money they pay out.

Celtic would be getting enough out those 3, I'm not that greedy! :pac:

In terms of the market pool and broadcasters wanting matches, its hard to argue Schalke over ManC in Pot 2, Real Madrid just about trumps everyone in Pot 1 and there is no German club in Pot 3.

The transfer rumour of Del Piero to Celtic is starting to gather pace. I admit the idea of him in a Celtic shirt has me excited but I cant see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Malaga? No chance, they've pawned off their best players this summer

Malaga are still a good side and still have some good players despite their Summer woes. The young fella Isco is going to be attracting bids from the very best clubs around this time next year. Class act.

Well done to the Celts though, was cheering them on tonight. The competitiom is enriched by their presence in the draw and no one will relish a trip to Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

Professional performance from Celtic last night and once we got the first 20 mins out the way, I thought the team were able to settle and play. Happened to praise Matthews for his flawless defending then the next second he got booked! But I do feel he is very underrated at times. Big Victor was immense again and it is hard to believe that the guy is only 21. Hopefully he will can the moving talk and keep focused on the job ahead.

And what of the Greek? Very good performance from him again last night - it is getting the consistency from him that is key. Lenny seems to have found a way of coaxing it out of Sammy on a frequent basis and hopefully this continues. As pointed out on TV last night, the way he glides when he is running with the ball is fantastic.

As for the groups, I think Celtic have only ever had one year where they have had a 'light' group, with Man U, Villarreal and Aalborg. The year we had AC and Barcelona in was hateful. Hoping to see us against a new team - the likes of a Real Madrid, a PSG, even a Man City. Milan, Barcelona, Shakthar, Benfica - been there, won that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

PhFQl.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Another great trip and night at CP. You lads are missing out, I hope some of you will be up for a big CL day trip, guaranteed shivers down the spine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Ladjacket wrote: »
    Happened to praise Matthews for his flawless defending then the next second he got booked! But I do feel he is very underrated at times.

And what of the Greek? Very good performance from him again last night - it is getting the consistency from him that is key. Lenny seems to have found a way of coaxing it out of Sammy on a frequent basis and hopefully this continues. As pointed out on TV last night, the way he glides when he is running with the ball is fantastic.

Matthews waas immense again and is fast becoming one of my favourite players, I thought it was a great yellow card tbh, yes he got caught the wrong side and slightly misjudged the flight of the ball, but it was a great free to concede.

Samaras has been terrific now for 6 months IMO and has even won over the fans who really got on he's back, he is just so talented and a handfull for any defense when in the mood.

the draw is out today but when will the fixture list be drawn up?

PhFQl.png

Hooper is offside, his right leg is ahead of the ball as the ball is about to be played forward and he's between the last defender and the goalkeeper. Samaras's left leg being slightly ahead of Hooper when the ball is being played means nothing.

Adam Matthews is improving all the time and remember that he's only 20, James Forrest is older than him! Regular gametime this season and UCL football will only bring in on leaps and bounds.

Samaras has found his place in the team out wide left. Great player if he can maintain consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Any update on the Del Piero story?

I'd cry tears of joy if he signed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Fantastic to be back amongst Europe's elite. I wouldn't bet against us springing a surprise or two at Paradise either :).

What is this on Del Piero? Haven't heard about that one. One of the best of his day I'd take him for a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement