Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imoroving wireless signal.

Options
  • 20-08-2012 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭

Recently improved my computer upstairs and have been having trouble with the wireless signal. My router is downstairs. it is a Belkin N router. I expected a small decrease in signal but not to this extent. As well as a reduction it has become very erratic, going from 1mb down to 4mb frequently.

I tried turning it on to broadcast N signal only but none of the devices in the house could connect to it. A new laptop, 2 iphones and my own computer. As far a sI know they are all capable of receiving N signal but still couldn't pick it up.

I have Quality of Service turned on. I have it broadcasting on a different signal to the neighbours. I confined it to 20mhz too because I saw it suggested in a different thread. I've also upgraded the firmware.

The only two things that I think would be between the router and my computer is a cctv box and a boiler tank, neither of which i would expect to interfere with the signal too much.

Anyone got any suggestions on what i can do to ipmprove it or why the N signal would not work? It's currently broadcasting on B, G and N. Does that reduce the signal? Can I set my computer to receive only the N?

Any suggestions for a new router or additional equipment would also be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes it will fall back onto G for everything if even one device uses that.

Best bet is to get a second router for legacy devices, leave that running G. Then leave your main wifi running N ONLY.

If you have problem with wifi N note that windows installs a buggy driver for atheros wifi cards (very common). Install driver manually to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I updated my network card driver and disabled AVG. It seems to have been the AVG that was blocking it.

As to the N signal, I would have expected the iphone4 to be capable of receiving it but I know for a fact that the Pc and laptop cards should have yet no devices could connect to the network which makes me thing it was something on the routers end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Sounds like your router isn't setup correctly. It should "just work" without you having to mess around with settings. Get a techy mate to take a look? Might be just faulty ofc.

I have an edimax 7416Apn router and it's dirt cheap and works fine.

Advertisement