Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any place to buy ATV 2

• 20-08-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

The title is pretty self explanatory but I'm looking to but an Apple TV 2.

I know i can try places like eBay and adverts but i'm looking to get it brand new and in a bricks and mortar shop.

The reason i don't want an ATV 3 is because you cant jailbreak them and hence cant run xbmc.

I have a lot of content on a NAS Drive that i'd like to view on my tv.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

The title is pretty self explanatory but I'm looking to but an Apple TV 2.

I know i can try places like eBay and adverts but i'm looking to get it brand new and in a bricks and mortar shop.

The reason i don't want an ATV 3 is because you cant jailbreak them and hence cant run xbmc.

I have a lot of content on a NAS Drive that i'd like to view on my tv.

Any Ideas?
    Your in the Q
    I have one and want another
    There not out there at a reasonable price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

look into the rapberry pi i have atv2 in bedroom and a rpi hooked up to the sitting room tv and it works great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

massy086 wrote: »
    look into the rapberry pi i have atv2 in bedroom and a rpi hooked up to the sitting room tv and it works great

So which would you prefer using, someone who owns both has a good point of view.

I have an android phone so i'm completely used to it

Edit sorry got mixed up, thought the raspberry pi was this

MK802-Android-PC.jpg

So which would you prefer using, someone who owns both has a good point of view.

I have an android phone so i'm completely used to it

well the atv2 is great as is the atv1 running on crystalbuntu the pi is great for the price it has to be hard wired for Ethernet but thats no big deal it can aslso do 1080p witch is great where the atv,s cant out of the box the pi can be sluggish compared to the atv,s but its still great if ur in dublin drop me a pm your welcome to see them both working

351321-raspberry-pi.jpg?thumb=y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

have one and was thinking about getting 2nd one

Also thinking about getting a Smart TV - which can stream my movies from NAS

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I'm sure there is a few shops that still has them. They look identical to the ATV3. I've looked on Amazon and they have them but the price is more expensive than the ATV 3 :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I'm sure there is a few shops that still has them. They look identical to the ATV3. I've looked on Amazon and they have them but the price is more expensive than the ATV 3 :confused:

ATV2's are more expensive than the ATV3's purely because the 2's can be jailbroken and the 3 cannot. Adverts.ie have them but the prices aren't even worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

sit tight for the moment. The Atv3 jailbreak looked like it would never happen until last week a key player in the Jailbreak scene said it seems easy enough and he's half way there already.
    But,

XBMC are soon to release an android version (unofficial versions out already). The amount of android set top boxes in developent at the moment is huge and most look like they will blow apple tv out of the water. They will give you Ice-cream sandwich on your tv so email,apps,web browser etc all available including 3rd parthy apps like XBMC all in glorious 1080HD and they have ports for storage too.
    Good way of getting your tv smarter for cheap, seen some for $69US.

Google "OUYA" or "Equiso smart tv"

jarvis wrote: »
    sit tight for the moment. The Atv3 jailbreak looked like it would never happen until last week a key player in the Jailbreak scene said it seems easy enough and he's half way there already.
    But,

XBMC are soon to release an android version (unofficial versions out already). The amount of android set top boxes in developent at the moment is huge and most look like they will blow apple tv out of the water. They will give you Ice-cream sandwich on your tv so email,apps,web browser etc all available including 3rd parthy apps like XBMC all in glorious 1080HD and they have ports for storage too.
    Good way of getting your tv smarter for cheap, seen some for $69US.

Google "OUYA" or "Equiso smart tv"

Great another option to think about:), learning more toward android as i've already have an android phone

• Advertisement

there is not a shop in ireland let alone europe that i can find atv2,s and trust me i have looked .on the apple tv3 jailbreak it could be weeks away or months who knows and the same with android official build

massy086 wrote: »
    there is not a shop in ireland let alone europe that i can find atv2,s and trust me i have looked .on the apple tv3 jailbreak it could be weeks away or months who knows and the same with android official build

A Jail broken AT3 would be great, good value for great functionality.

A mini android PC seems to be quite good aswell i'd get to use all the apps i bought and have the luxury of taking it with me where ever i go

Advertisement