Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ice cream cones like they use to

• 20-08-2012 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

I seriously haven't had a decent ice-cream cone for 25 years. I remember as a kid getting ice cream cones that had a real satisfying taste. The texture was also that bit thicker and colder.

Am I alone? Does anyone else think the quality of ice cream cones have been 'diluted'?

Can anyone recommend a really good soft cone?

And no, Angelito and Teddy's are not what I'm looking for

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The difference nowadays is the machines are cleaned more often

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Come to Scotland, we still have 'real' Italian ice cream cafe's:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I went out a few weeks ago and got Teddy's! Wasnt half as good as I thought it would be, but it was ok....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I enjoyed a big 'cone' last night.

Munchies afterwards were unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Madam wrote: »
    I used to live in the South West, there were 2 shops that sold fantastic Italian ice cream, one in Kirkcudbright and one in Gatehouse Of fleet, but both sadly no longer exist. would love to find another when I'm back home next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

No cones are just as wonderful as you remember.
    Don't believe me go find out. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

There's one in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre that does a lovely 99. Really thick, creamy ice cream and lots of it! It's just outside Schuh / Easons downstairs. Make sure it's the one just outside, not the other one that does Crepes and other ****e further up as their ice cream is watery and crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

kyub wrote: »
    There's one in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre that does a lovely 99. Really thick, creamy ice cream and lots of it! It's just outside Schuh / Easons downstairs. Make sure it's the one just outside, not the other one that does Crepes and other ****e further up as their ice cream is watery and crap.
    You've made me hungry now!

I want a cone now

Teddy who let you outta TCN!?

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I want a cone now

Skin up!

Teddy who let you outta TCN!?
    I escaped :p

Ice cream Teddy nom nom.
    I'd love to be home now watching some netflix with a tub of ice cream and just have a girls day in. Paint my toenails just stay in my dressing gown all day. Maybe pop down to Tesco and get some grub. One can only dream. Paradise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The nicest ice cream I ever had was in the Isle of Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

The best 99 is from Ross Filling Station on the N3. It's under new management now and I think the current staff are just about getting used to what is expected of them! They make massive ones, and they don't melt and drip all over the place.

I escaped :p

Ice cream Teddy nom nom.
    I'd love to be home now watching some netflix with a tub of ice cream and just have a girls day in. Paint my toenails just stay in my dressing gown all day. Maybe pop down to Tesco and get some grub. One can only dream. Paradise.

You can do it Teddy I believe in you! Damn now I want a cone.
    *Shakes fist at OP*

The nicest ice cream I ever had was in the Isle of Man.

Was the craic ninety?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

O.P. Same here .People don't miss standards they've never known .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ross Filling Station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

lisaj wrote: »
    The best 99 is from Ross Filling Station on the N3. It's under new management now and I think the current staff are just about getting used to what is expected of them! They make massive ones, and they don't melt and drip all over the place.

How long ago was that pic taken? Seriously thinking of taking a trip up from Swords some evening :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I want a 99 now... :(

DamoKen wrote: »
    How long ago was that pic taken? Seriously thinking of taking a trip up from Swords some evening :)

It was taken about last September. I had one there on Saturday, it wasn't as big as that one. I think sometimes it's the luck of the draw with who makes it. I'm sure they're learning though!
    I think it could be to do with the machine that is used, I'm presuming it's the same machine that was always there.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

OP I totally agree, and I don't get the Teddy's fascination at all. It's grand, but...

I'm also convinced it's because the machines are too clean now. I don't even care if that's not the reason, I'm going to keep telling everyone it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Who remembers Woolies on Patrick St in Cork, I think it was the only cone machine in Cork in the 50's.
    Another favourite was the wafers sold at the counter in the Cork Cold Storage Co. on the South Mall opposite the passport office.
    I remember when it burned down, all the intervention butter melted and flowed into the streets and down the road gulleys (known as shores in Cork).
    It took a lot of work by Cork Corporation to clear drains after the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Rochforts Mullingar is excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Madam wrote: »

There's a superb Italian ice-cream shop in Sligo. All hand made, all delicious!

The stuff they sell from ice-cream vans & shops is pure processed muck - full of shite that you really don't need.

It's pretty much the same stuff however, that was sold years ago - maybe your tastebuds have developed a bit more since you were a kid, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

WillyFXP wrote: »
    I used to live in the South West, there were 2 shops that sold fantastic Italian ice cream, one in Kirkcudbright and one in Gatehouse Of fleet, but both sadly no longer exist. would love to find another when I'm back home next time!

You could try Zavaroni's in Rothsay or Naridini's of Largs- not exactly the South West but near enough:)

Teddys is gone downhill completely. Nothing like it was 20 years ago.

There's a mobile ice cream shop called cafe le creme, they have a couple of vans and a little trailer shop too, there's normally one on the east pier in Dun Laoghaire, and in cabinteely park in South Dublin. That's the nicest whipped ice cream I've found lately.

This be it

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

I've seen that, WADD, but I've never tried the icecream. Must give it a go.

• Advertisement

Diapason wrote: »
    I've seen that, WADD, but I've never tried the icecream. Must give it a go.

Much nicer than teddys IMO :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

used to love getting 2 flakes in mine! and that bright red and green syrup they used to pour over it. *drool*

What is Teddies ice cream? Is it a brand?

It's a very famous ice cream shop in Dun Laoghaire/sandycove, they only sell whipped ice cream. In the last couple of years it's become a brand that is sold in other shops but it's not what it used to be at all. Infact, it's not that nice.

It's a very famous ice cream shop in Dun Laoghaire/sandycove, they only sell whipped ice cream. In the last couple of years it's become a brand that is sold in other shops but it's not what it used to be at all. Infact, it's not that nice.
    Is it homemade in the original shop still?
    A dream of mine would be to own an ice cream shop in a really hot country... Like Rhodesia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

A dream of mine would be to own an ice cream shop in a really hot country... Like Rhodesia!
    Or Siam, Ceylon or Burma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Like Rhodesia!

Is it the 1970's again? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

The Chocolate Shop in Arklow does AMAZING ice creams (or at least I hope they still do -- it's been a while). Two types of syrup and four kinds of topping including sprinkles and chopped nuts. Oh God, now I want one. Damn you, OP!

Advertisement